A Sword and A Shield [The Hob...

由 MsGameinIt

A young and skilled mercenary, Rose's past is more intertwined with Thorin Oakenshield and his dwarvish compa... 更多

1 - A Chance Meeting
2 - An Unexpected Party
3 - A Map, a Key, and a Contract
4 - The World Ahead
5 - Trollshaws
6 - Roast Mutton
7 - Warg Scouts
8 - A Short Rest
9 - Let's Talk, Elf to Dwarf
10 - The Last Homely House
11 - She's a Mystery, to Say the Least
13 - The Calm Before the Storm
14 - Over Hill
15 - Under Hill
16 - Beater and Biter
17 - Old Enemies
18 - A Good Omen
19 - With Friends Like These...
20 - Queer Lodgings
21 - The Forest Where Shadows Lie

12 - Bathtime, Where Dwarves Are Concerned

363 12 2
由 MsGameinIt

Once I was good and out of sight, a cheeky Kili looked straight to his uncle. "You're not going to follow her?"

He halted his conversation with Balin to answer his nephew. "And why would I do that?"

"She said she was heading off to bathe," said Fili. "Which means in the nude."

The regal dwarf huffed. "Like I could care about that."

"He's right, laddie," said Dwalin through mouthfuls of pheasant. "Could be the chance you've been waiting for. Elf or not, when was the last time you even saw a woman—"

"Oh, sod off, all of you! I'll hear no more of your silly jokes!"

Unfortunately, Kili was not ready to drop the subject. "Fine. Come on, brother. Let's go spy on her ourselves." He hardly needed to tug on Fili's arm. In an instant, both young dwarves hurried away from camp.

"Wait. Kili, Fili! Stop this, both of you!" Thorin shouted after them.

They didn't listen and disappeared into the night.

Thorin groaned, wondering what nightmare of an event would unfold before him, and then rushed after his troublesome sister-sons. He hoped to find them and haul them back before they could cause anything.

Wanting to protect myself from peeping dwarf eyes, I ventured out to a spot on the river only myself and Arwen knew about. It was a small strip of dirt and rocks stretching ten feet in length, hidden from sight by colorful flowers, thick shrubs, and other natural obstacles. Just a few paces away placed a steep cliff from which a small waterfall fed the river.

This was a place I visited whenever the everyday antics of Rivendell elves got under my skin. A place to hear nothing but my outer and inner voices. Mother once made up a story about the water containing an energy that would imbue any bathers with good fortune.

Then again, the entire river Bruinen was rumored to do the same.

But I always stuck to that tale.

"I could use some good fortune this time around..."

Upon untying the strings of my dress, it fell to the ground, along with Glamdring. The sudden breeze caused my body to shiver. How I wish I had the thick skin of a dwarf at times like these. I rushed into the water and sunk down until it came up to my shoulders.

At first, it felt like icicles piercing my body, but after a few moments, the water felt warmer.

I ran both hands through my hair to unravel it, braids and all. My long locks cascaded down my back like sheets of silk, and then turned to wavy spider legs as I dipped my head underwater for a moment. It may not have been a hot bath, but it still relaxed me just as easily.

The only sound came from an owl perched high in the trees, the typical cricket orchestra that always accompanies peaceful nights, and the small waterfall of a series that fed the Bruinen. Its roaring sounded so calm and quiet compared to the raucous of the company.

"Of course, I've grown so used to them at this point," I muttered with a slight grin. "I don't think their noise gets to me anymore. Then again, maybe it never did. But even moreso, they do make great company."

Closing my eyes, my head rolled back against my shoulders as I leaned against a smooth stone and considered all of my companions.

First, Bilbo, the sweet hobbit who happened to be far more courageous than I could've ever imagined. "I remember the days when I only thought hobbits were no more adventurous or brave than a rabbit. I think I owe him an apology."

Bombur, a great cook; Bofur, his brother, who loves to sing and dance and possesses an uncanny ability to make others smile; and Bifur, the poor dwarf with an axe wedged in his head. "I wonder if there's a way to get it out."

Nori, Dori, and Ori are all so funny and have their unique qualities, making me wonder if they all came from the same mother and father. I became fond of placing bets with Nori, and enjoying teatime with Dori and Ori.

Dwalin, tough on the outside but a big fluff on the inside, and I could listen to Balin's tales for all eternity.

Gloin, one of the more hot-tempered members of the group, married to a beautiful wife and has an adorable child. Then, there was Oin, his half-deaf brother who is as sweet as can be and an excellent healer.

And don't forget Fili and Kili; it's like they're trying to get into trouble.

"And then there's Thorin..."

My eyes fluttered open upon hearing the name slip from my lips.

I looked to the spot on my arm where I'd been impaled just a few days ago. The once gushing wound had been reduced down to a small cut, thanks to the remarkable talents of both my father and beloved sister.

I got this because I decided to save him. Without hesitation, too. Why?

My hand rose up out of the water to lightly brush over my scar.

"Because he totally deserved it after how well he treated me," I chuffed. But my own sarcasm didn't answer my question. "Even I have moments of hesitation when I'm working a job. So, why did I not hesitate here? In protecting him?

"Well, he does care about his kin, and he's a skilled warrior, and he's not stern and grumpy all the time. Plus, he sleeps just like a little babe. It's rather adorable, really..."

I froze, feeling my cheeks burn up at the notion.

"What am I saying? I just did it because it's my job. I was hired to protect the members of the company. I made a promise, so that's what I did. Yeah, that's it. I was just keeping my promise, and my word."

Not feeling quite right, I splashed cold water on my face and lightly slapped my cheeks.

When that failed, I turned my attention to the waterfall. All by themselves, my legs carried me over. I smiled up at the roaring water. "Just as lovely as I remember." Underneath the fall, a shallow bank sat, so some fool of a person could stand underneath.

I laughed.

"Naturally, I'm that fool of a person."

Just before I could step under the water—

"No, Rose!!"

To my shock, Kili stood on the riverbank near my discarded belongings. When my blank stare turned to a glare, he looked ready to run with his tail tucked between his legs. I loosely covered my chest as I waded over to him, though I brushed aside the fact that everything from my knees up was exposed to the young dwarf.

"Kili, do you mind telling me how long you've been standing there?!"

The boy innocently threw his hands up. "Only for a few moments. I didn't come out here to spy on you. I swear! We just saw you heading for that waterfall and worried you'd be injured."

"Then, why are you here? How'd you even know where I was, or..."

I paused and replayed Kili's exact words from a moment ago.

"What do you mean 'we'?"

He never replied.

"Where's your brother, Ki—?"

Before I could finish, Fili's head emerged between my legs. I soared out of the water, balancing on his shoulders, and then tumbled back with a huge splash.

When I regained my footing and cleared the water from my face, I found Fili and Kili rolling around in a fit of pure laughter.

My eyes blazed with the desire for revenge. "You...!" The accusing exclamation trailed off as I grabbed Fili and tossed him over my back. I couldn't help myself. I let out a victorious laugh and then called to him, "How funny do you think that is?!"

Fili popped his head out of the water with a smile. "You've got a strong arm." He moved close enough to splash me with a huge wave. "Mine are stronger!"

I pounced on him with a clear intention to drown him.

Kili jumped into the water. "Leave my kin, you fiend!" He caught me under the armpits and dragged me from his laughing brother.

Jumping at the opportunity, Fili snatched at my foot to engage in merciless tickling. "Two!" I shrieked between bursts of hysterical laughter. "Of...you...! Not fair!" I could hear the endless amounts of fun in my voice. It had been quite some time since I played around so carelessly.

The brothers had fun too, even as I fought both off by viciously throwing them both into the water. They tackled me and together we fell into the riverbank, cackling loudly with tears gushing from our faces.

"Fili! Kili!"

It was Thorin, with his back turned on us and his hands balled into tight fists.

Our shrieks and splashing ceased immediately.

"Enough of this nonsense! You're needed back at camp to do inventory! Out of the water!" He sounded quite angry.

I looked at the brothers knowing they'd protest.

"Uncle—"

"Out!" Thorin repeated, cutting off the younger of his two nephews. "Or I'm leaving her behind."

That drastic ultimatum caught me by surprise. "What?! You can't do that! As you may recall—"

However, Fili stopped me and said, "It's alright." He then whispered in a low voice. "It's a complete bluff. He'd never really do it. He likes you too much. He probably just wants to be alone with you and is jealous that we got to you first."

My face flared up in embarrassment. "What? What do you—?"

"Come on, Kili." They exited the water in a hurry, avoiding my questions.

Thorin remained perfectly still, kept his head low, and tapped his right foot impatiently as his nephews rung their shirts of as much excess water as possible. They tossed out a fast "Bye Rose!" and "Have fun!" before rushing back to camp.

Thorin started to follow, then stopped. He still wouldn't face me directly. "I'm sorry for them."

"What do you mean?"

"They said they were going to spy on you, and I was too slow to stop them, considering I could barely keep up without getting lost." You really have trouble with directions, don't you? "It is quite disgraceful for them to show up unannounced during your...personal time."

"It was just a bath, Thorin, and they're still boys," I answered nonchalantly with a grin and a wave. "Not to mention I got a few laughs out of it, and my revenge. It's nothing to worry yourself about. Honest."

After a beat, he replied, "I didn't expect this of you."

"Excuse me?"

"I didn't expect you to act with such folly to a serious matter such as this."

"Well, I find that being serious on such a trivial matter is a waste of time and is bad for your health. You should heed my advice."

My words frustrated the dwarf greatly. "Look. Fili and Kili. They both greatly respect you, and they like you. They enjoy your company. All of us—them... All of them like you, so I'd appreciate you not being such a poor influence from now on."

Though not completely surprised by a Thorin insult, it still made me frown.

"Is that what you think I am, Thorin? A bad influence who knows nothing of serious matters, because I would then call you a fool for not paying attention to my usual tendencies when around the company. You have noticed them, have you not?"

He was silent.

Then, he finally answered, "You're right."

I staggered. "Did you just...?"

"Forgive me. I don't know why I—" It was like he couldn't find the right words. "Just get your clothes back on and rejoin us at camp."

There was an uncomfortable silence between us.

Finally, I said, "You're right. I shouldn't have acted that way with Fili and Kili. I know they're being groomed as the next in line, so they have no time for folly and fun. I see that now, and I apologize for fooling around with them."

Thorin blew out a breath and nodded. "Good."

"I should with you, though."

"What?!" Thorin couldn't do anything to stop me from splashing him; he was standing right at the edge. He growled as he wiped water off his face. His hair and shirt were completely soaked. "Knock it off!"

I giggled. "That's why you're truly upset, isn't it? You're jealous."

"Stop fantasizing. And you heard what I said. Take your clothes off and rejoin me at once!"

Wow. I couldn't believe the slip of the tongue he just had.

"My clothes are off, Thorin."

Sighing, he then said, "Also, I haven't asked my question today."

"I take it that means you have one now. Go ahead."

He swallowed back the lump in his throat, having never felt quite so nervous before. "May I look at you?" He asked the question softly, almost pleading. I guess he didn't like having to talk in such a weird manner.

I stared at him for a moment.

"You may."

He spun around. It didn't take long before he took in the full image, which caused his face to turn bright red. He hurriedly looked away from me and lifted a hand in front of his eyes. "Are you not going to even attempt to cover yourself? Are you not...concerned...about me seeing you in this way?"

I shook my head. "Don't flatter yourself. You're not the first man to see me naked."

"See? It's just as I said. Your true nature is much more carefree than the facade you've shown us."

"Just trying to relax. You really should try it."

"I have no time for relaxation or fun. I'm considerably older than you."

"I highly doubt that. I'm an elf, remember?"

"How old are you?"

"I'll die before I tell you." He looked slightly disappointed. "I'm nearly three thousand years old."

I swear his eyes bulged out from his face. "Three thousand?!"

That sounded like an insult. "It's not that alarming, is it?"

"Not alarming. It's just that...you're young and pretty and I thought..."

Another slip of the tongue? "I'm pretty?"

He snarled. "No, that's not what I'm saying at all! You're not pretty."

I hung my mouth open for a bit, hurt in my eyes.

"I'm going back to camp," Thorin said, looking away.

He began the trek back, waiting to hear my next words I'm sure, hoping they'd probably be "Best of luck on the rest of your quest" or "Tell Kili, Fili, and Bilbo I'll miss them." He didn't expect me to rush out of the water and call out to him.

"Thorin!" I watched him stop and stiffen up. "May I ask something now?"

He didn't look back at me. "What is it?"

The one thing I had to know. The one question I've had since the first day we arrived. I knew everyone else's answers, but not Thorin's. And for some reason, in the end, Thorin's answer would end up mattering the most to me.

"What did you think when you found out I was an elf?"

It took him a long time to respond.

"I don't like elves much, I never have and never will, and you're no different than the rest of your kind..." I expected that. "...but..." My ears perked up as he cleared his throat. "...you saved my life, and you nearly died for it. That is an act I cannot ignore.

"So, for now, you could say I'm not bothered by it. That would make us even, would it not?"

My eyes widened as much as they could. Is he trying to say thank you?

"Enough talk! If you don't hurry we won't save you any food." He hastily walked away.

Smiling at his back as he left, I slipped on my dress, tied Glamdring's holster around my waist, and rushed to camp.

The rest of the night I spent with the company. Bilbo gave a great big sigh of relief when I informed him I didn't plan on going out anymore and happily talked about all the many things he learned from reading over my journals. I listened while feasting on all of the delicious food the dwarves cooked up.

I also helped myself to plenty of wine, watching to make sure nobody else drank too much. A dwarf can get tipsy a lot easier than an elf, especially when it comes to the fine wine that Father always has stocked; I only felt a slight tingle in my fingers the entire night.

In light of revealing my true identity, the dwarves enjoyed hearing the details of my life story I originally chose to omit. I shared my true age, the real story of my mother and the orcs, and the reason I was there today doing what I do best.

However, the identity of the orc group's leader remained a secret between myself and Bilbo. I thought it was the wiser decision for various reasons.

Fili and Kili never inquired about what happened after they left the river, but I'm almost certain they had some ideas. They were persistent in getting me and Thorin into conversations together, making sure nobody else got in between us. What bothered me the most was the other company members helping out. Apart from Bilbo, it seemed everyone wanted to see us alone together.

Thankfully, Thorin wasn't much of a talker.

After everyone fell asleep, I sat by the fire and quietly read over one of my journals. This particular one was filled with dwarf notes, and I refreshed my mind on as much information as possible before my eyelids started to droop. When they did, I set the book to the side, hugged my knees, and rested my head on them.

A blanket suddenly fell atop my head.

"Your hair's still soaked. Dry off, or you'll catch cold."

When I scrambled out of the blanket, Thorin stepped past me and sat near the fire, his turn to tend the flames with a large stick. By then, all the other companions had fallen fast asleep, including the tiny hobbit who had curled up with my cloak.

I held the blanket around my shoulders. "Uh, thank you..."

"Your gratitude is misplaced," grumbled Grumpy. "In return, may I read that?"

Still as rude as ever.

I kicked the book over to the dwarf and stepped away.

Taking a spot near the halfling, I made sure he was fully covered by the cloak, then leaned back against a column and gazed up at the moonlight. Thorin's blanket remained tight around my shoulders.

If I've learned anything today, it's that he's not that way all the time.

Thorin remained by the campfire pouring over my old book with eyebrows scrunched together. I turned away just before he caught me staring at him, and finally closed my eyes to sleep, dreaming about a faceless dwarf king being consumed by golden flames.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

513K 15.3K 38
MALE WEDNESDAY X READER "I love you...Wednesday Addams" The girl cried while hugging him as tight as she could. "I love you too....Amore mio. Please...
541K 13.4K 42
Psycho brothers and a little angel sister sounds not so good together right? so what happens when an sweet angel comes live with her lovesick pyscho...
63.6K 1.9K 180
"In a world of pirates and adventure, meet Ryo, a half mink-half human with a tragic past. After losing his parents, Ryo was taken in and trained by...
38.2K 1.4K 20
you are tanjiro little sister what happens if you died during the events of swordsmith village arc and got a second chance to live it again in the gr...