𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

hiraethsr द्वारा

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... अधिक

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xxxv. determind souls

1K 36 0
hiraethsr द्वारा

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀 𝑭𝑰𝑽𝑬
❝ 𝒅𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

MARELLA HAD ONCE TOLD A STORY to her children during their bedtime routine, about a mermaid princess, much like Vera, who longed to journey to the land above, but was unable to do so under her father's — the king — strict laws. However, that never stopped the adventurous princess, so she wanders to the sea's exterior and rescues a handsome prince, who she falls in love with instantly, risking her life for him.

Vera never realized the similarities between her and the little mermaid. Starting with their appearances, Vera's features are darker than those of the made-up mermaid princess with her brunette locks and her fair skin. Their eyes are polar opposites; the mermaid princess having sky blue eyes and Vera having a flickering change from her forest-green to her hazel brown, occasionally shifting to a demonic black when angered. Their tails differ in shades, Vera with a silver-blue and the character with a teal-green.

However, Vera did pick up on meaningless similarities between them as she grew up; their titles as 'mermaid princess' and 'heir to the throne' as well as their kingdom and the name it shares. Marella had told Vera that the story about The Little Mermaid isn't completely fictional, pertaining to their ancestor, Aeriel. Marella did note that many children in their castle were named after the first Queen of Atlantis and the infamous, unworldly, character, to which Vera responded distastefully.

Abolishing the stubborn thought in Marella's mind that her daughter resembled their ancestor and a book character, Vera learned to favor the story above all the other bedtime tales her mother would recite at night, much to Neptune's distaste — although he did acquire a fondness over a historic myth about vampires and hotels — and kept it in her mind during her darkest time. However, in truth, Vera did admittedly forget about the fictional story chronicled during her younger years.

Up until a few days ago, that is.

Grudgingly, Vera did take to searching her memories in an effort to console her emotional state of mind, forcibly pushing past her darker times as of late and launching deeper to find something that she can hold onto and never let go; something that had come to past, something that had already happened, something that couldn't be taken away from her like everything else in her life. So, the brunette mermaid latched onto the first thing that popped in her head during her search for a fantasy, ironically clinging onto the tales of The Little Mermaid and her stubborn quest.

Recently, she had been filling her mind with thoughts in connection to the fictional character, and has come to the realization that they are more alike than she initially thought. As a child, Vera easily believed everything that was given to her obediently, no matter her own thoughts. She was naive and innocent but very close-minded. Whatever her mother said, goes. So, when Marella told her that the human world was a cruel and devastating place, she automatically believed her. It wasn't until her teenage years in which she explored more that she met a kind, old man among the surface and he showed her a different meaning to their world.

Vera would bitterly think about how wrong that man was and how she should've believed her mother, scolding herself for being so naive towards someone who knows exactly what grief feels like. In some ways, Vera pitied her mother; she simply couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose someone you cared for more than anyone else and loved more than life itself. Admittedly, she has yet to discover the feeling herself.

Walking slowly compared to the rest of the group, Vera strolls at a steady pace behind Corin and in front of Aragorn, never straying too far into her head to cause a catastrophe. Vera had practically seen everything she had to. Of course, she only picked up on this mindset because in her mind, there was no point of relishing on something that could be destroyed in a matter of days.

In her mind, it was a waste of time.

Instead, while the crew stayed completely silent for the duration of the journey, Vera decided to take full advantage of the situation, finding relief in the fact that her friends didn't need her to talk at all for the time being, because she knows that they will be asking for orders soon enough — at least, Corin will be, once he receives word from the others. Thus begins Vera's own adventure into the alternate world her mind transfers her to, in which she plummets into musings about a red-haired princess called Ariel and the tales of The Little Mermaid.

Truthfully, Ariel's longing for adventure and determination — as well as slight tenacity — to fulfill her wishes no matter her father's warnings. Alike her own personality, Vera manages to pick out the similarities between their traits and thinking mindset; for the most part, they were far too headstrong and determined to the point where it could be classified as stubborn but Vera begs to differ. And their habit of venturing elsewhere and defying those who tell them what to do proved to be quite a personality trait. Their extensive and graceful ability to wittily formulate sentences in a sarcastic and defiant manner.

Along with their knack of adventure and exploration driven by their curiosity and impulsive intriguing attitude towards the unknown — with the slightest caution pertaining it, Vera and the little mermaid seemed to share various qualities like their perceptiveness and their high intelligence as well as the manners they have been raised with, as well as the rebellious glint within their system and the protective stances they take over their friends and family, Vera and Ariel seem to be more alike than Vera had previously intended it to be.

Honestly, she wasn't quite sure why she compared herself to a book character, but the many speculations she has brought on — apart from her need to grasp onto something light-spirited from her childhood, to wade off the darkness of the world and keep in her mind without the risk of it being taken away from her — was that Ariel isn't a book character at all. Vera always thought to the theory that books aren't completely from the imaginary and the unrealistic, sticking to the mindset that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps some part of her, her feä — who had been in another's body before Vera's — knows something that she doesn't quite understand.

"Vera!"

Diverting her attention to present matters and away from the paradoxical getaway named her mind, Vera physically snaps her head up to meet eyes with Corin's ice-blue eyes in question. He continues, albeit nervously after the group stops in their steps to face the boy, despite him calling the only lady, "We should stop by the edge of Fangorn Forest. There is a forest that lies a few leagues away from the borders of Fangorn and we've agreed to meet there. A river lies in between; we can communicate with those needed."

Vera nods. Adjusting the strap of her pouch closer to her chest and twisting her locks away from her face, she connects eyes with the rest of the members and Corin in a slow manner before answering, "Very well, then. We can't linger longer than need to; it'll attract too much attention."

Settling at a nearby forest by the borders of Fangorn, entering the lands of Rohan, Vera stays glued to Legolas' side as they scamper through the woods to find the agreed destination between the Atlantan warriors and the group of travelers that now stand on a particular spot among the hooded trees. Vera raises an eyebrow at the clearing, noting the running river nearby and the obvious opening in which many could ambush them. Meeting eyes with Corin, he shrugs helplessly as she smirks, slightly amused. However, it doesn't stop the tingling worry in her veins.

"I'm sure they'll be here s—" Corin starts, planning to rest his legs after traveling through terrains and grass-lands for days, and begins to plant his body on the floor to sit in a criss-cross fashion but stops abruptly in mid-action as footsteps could be heard from the forest, signaling the rest of the Atlantans rushes and haste arrival to the opening — consequently, Corin had ended up looking like a constipated man, earning a bellowing laugh from Gimli at the sight. "Nevermind," he grumbles, ignoring the amused laughs from his new friends and the slight twinkle in Vera's eyes as he straightens his position and composed himself. "Glad to be of use."

"Yes, even if it's for entertainment purposes," counters Vera from her steady spot, her voice holding the slightest hints of playfulness before her smirk disappeared marginally and her attention is redirected to the incoming Atlantans, who have news to bring for their Queen. She misses the looks exchanged between her friends at her sarcastic retaliation, finding satisfaction in her attempts of pulling a joke after days pass by without her opening her mouth at all.

Promptly, the Atlantan warriors appear in a matter of seconds, briskly and hastily traversing through the thick forests, while their determination fuel their legs to run faster. Vera composed herself, flickering her expression to its natural blankness but pulling her beauty altogether to exploit a regal woman, because while her expression remains vacant, her eyes were a whole different story.

Her eyes were those of a queen.

Locating themselves in front of the said monarch, the Atlantans bow deeply in her presence, letting a few seconds pass before lifting the upper-half of their bodies alongside their heads. "Your Grace, we come with pressing news delivered to us by the selected team working inside the castle regarding Evian's next moves and his strategic advances," the warrior — a blonde woman with a feline, green eyes — who seemed to be the leader of the small group, reported to her.

Vera inclines her head gently at the maiden, offering her a small smile to ease the warrior's obvious worries — for what? She didn't know but she has every intention of finding out. "Please. We don't have much time. I'm afraid that the sun is descending and anything can happen if we remain here, vulnerable, and without an army. Evian will smell something and he'll send someone to find you. You must hurry."

The maiden glances up with a grave and deep dispirit in her blindingly bright eyes, her expression automatically turning sober and subdued with the news engraved into her mind. "Your Majesty, I don't think that Evian's men are the only people we need to worry about," she reluctantly informs, her tone indicating a sage and heavy burden is on her shoulders.

Vera's light exterior evidently disintegrates instantaneously after the sentence leaves her lips, her back erecting to the point Corin was afraid it would break. She broadens her shoulders effectively at the new worry that settles itself on her shoulders and chest. "Tell me everything," she demands.

The warrior sighs. "Intelligence has given us news from the inside; someone working within, we don't know who but we're working on it. Majesty, haven't you ever wondered where Evian gets so much support? So many soldiers? So much...power to get the same result: the throne? Have you ever wondered where he gets the leverage?" she asks, wringing her hands back and forth in nervousness as her voice wavers slightly with the words leaving her mouth dejectedly. "Evian isn't only working with what Atlantis has, nor is he working with what the oceans created. There is another power."

Confused beyond comprehension at the complicated riddles thrown at her arduously, Vera starts to grind her teeth in anticipation and festering frustration at the lack of answers she's getting and the maiden's failed attempts of getting straight to the point. Trying to remain patient and fair to her subjects, Vera exhales slowly to control the fuse inside of her. Voice wavering, Vera slowly lets her words out with care pertaining to the tone but fails miserably as it comes out forced and impatient, "Go on."

Wincing slightly at her tone of voice and the anxious waves coming off her queen, the warrior opens her mouth to do as she's told and answer but halts abruptly as another voice interrupts. Corin, who had been listening obediently and remaining impassive, quickly changes his expression as more words leave the warrior's lips, his eyebrows furrowing considerably with his mind running at a fast pace with the news and miraculously connecting the dots. "Evian's working with someone else. Someone above water, someone here, someone with power," he attains, meeting eyes with the warrior as she nods tentatively.

Vera exasperatedly frowns. "Are you all so hellbent in speaking in riddles that—" the agitated yet-to-be-coronated queen begins in annoyance but pauses from her words and drifting off thoughtfully as her eyes widen with realization and her lips draw to an angered sneer. "No," she instantly denies, shaking her head in anger. "No, I can't believe that. I won't."

Nothing in her can begin to grasp the truth of the situation and the bastard that sits on her throne. Fury momentarily blinds her vision as hot, molten wrath embraces her entire being and consumes her from the inside, the thought of Evian Decourt working with the enemy filling her thoughts and enraging her extremely. For a while, all she could see is red as she unknowingly paces back and forth and shakes her head in denial and outright refusal mixed with blinding anger and heat. Her eyes harden and her expression doesn't falter from its rising infuriation, only flickering sharply between Corin, her friends, the Atlantan warriors, and the vision of Evian's head handed to her on a silver platter in her mind.

Corin senses his friend's distraught, barely keeping his own fury restrained for the time being, and motions for the warrior to continue her report after noting the falling sun. She, albeit hesitantly, resumes her previous statement, "Evian's been using something to communicate with the enemy. They've been orchestrating hostage situations and attacks at Atlantis to secure Evian's position as King and letting traitors slip inside to torment the helpless. Those who have retired to the safe house are being taunted by the orc-scum. We're trying to find a safer escape for the people but it's hard getting by without alerting Evian of our actions."

Vera frowns. "Evian's been staging the torment of my people for the sake of securing his station. Why? Why is the enemy willing to risk his numbers to a cause that isn't advantageous to him? What is he getting out of Evian's selfishness?" Vera all but spits out with venom and hot anger in her voice, sending shivers down their spines and widening their eyes considerably as they share a look. For a moment, those that belong to the sea admire their queen before them, who stands with dignity and power, before halting in their movements to pertain to important matters.

"Something else is happening. There's a bigger plan behind this. Try discovering what he plans to do and put a stop to it from the root. Hudson, Jordan, ensure that the innocents find a safe house to stay in without alerting Evian. We need them as safe and hopeful during situations like this. Especially, if we need our plan to work," Corin immediately barks orders, to which they nod and begin their departure.

"What of Neptune?" Vera's voice brings them back, her tone considerably softening at the mention of her brother as she lifts her hazel eyes to meet with the warrior's bright orbs.

The maiden smiles softly, adjusting her clothing to start her leave. "You will see your brother again, My Queen."

And with that, she departs, giving Vera enough time to register her words and smile uneasily to herself before another wave came towards them and it certainly wasn't something they particularly liked.

An arrow whizzes past Vera's ear and plants itself on the bark of the trees behind her, alerting those around her of another source of danger in the darkness of the woods. Legolas was at her side in moments, savagely grasping the arrow and inspecting its tip. "Uruk-hai."

Sighing, Vera takes her own bow and arrows and notches an arrow swiftly while the others prepare for battle. With her eyes dead-set on its target, running at her with unmistakable speed and its arms outstretched with a weapon in hand, his mission of cutting her head off fueling his swift pace, Vera releases her arrow, watching it hit its eye with an incomparable aim.

One down, a lot more to go.

Vera Adelaide wasn't going to let Evian Decourt steal her kingdom. He had taken everything from her. There's no way in hell that he's taking her throne, too.

That's a promise.

Game on, bitch.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

179K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
111K 2.9K 39
She had lived a long life. Most of it was spent running from herself and her past, but the past has a strange way of catching up to us. And now, thre...
69.9K 2.3K 25
Sauron tries to summon another wizard from another dimension, to help him win but instead he summons a fangirl who gets turned into an Elfling! So...
224K 7.3K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...