Sleepless Nights

بواسطة serendipxty-

How do we live and love when we know that everything we have will turn into ashes? Now that Zcyhie Elizabeth... المزيد

EPIGRAPH
PROLOGUE
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
EPILOGUE
note
Special Chapter

chapter fourteen

204 135 101
بواسطة serendipxty-

Zcyhie Elizabeth's POV

I gazed towards the busy teenagers throwing laughs and jokes, walking towards the main entrance of the school. As the sun beamed upon my face, I held my gaze onto the cloudless sky. It was a vivid blue with the air crisped, which kissed my skin. I wiped off the beads of sweats that fell from my temple.

"I'll drop you off to the main entrance," Evans said.

As I his car approached the entrance, I climbed down and closed his door from his two-seater Modena Ferrari 360.

"I'll look for a parking." He paused, pinching his nose bridge momentarily. His jaw clenched as he gazed towards my eyes and said, "You go ahead."

"Alright then. See you." I waved my hand before he dashed off.

I grasped at the strap of my backpack. As I made my way through, the tight, busy corridor felt as if I was in a coffin. It seemed like the walls were closing in around me. The hallway was filled with teenagers getting out of class, on the way to the next.

Many were in pairs, laughing about something, either about the teacher said something for the weird guy did. There was a blonde who had just opened her locker and slammed a few books in, obviously frustrated about something.

I went to my locker, sanitized my hand and grabbed my t-shirt. As I walked down the busy hallways going to the girl's comfort room, I could feel the eyes of the happy students who were giggling and passing notes in between classes. I felt exposed, with no room to duck into, no stairs to take. I simply focused on those dark double doors at the end of the hallway.

The different schedule for my subjects made me feel nauseous. Sometimes, there's an eight hours straight lessons in the morning, then if there's an event it would shift into the afternoon.

My eyes caught the organic design coincides with the modern design as I moved towards the comfort room. The tile with geometric shapes were added to the interest and character without sacrificing minimalistic design.

I went to the nearest cubicle near the small white flowerpots on shelves. Arranged framed geometric shaped mirrors were hanged on the bathroom wall while there's a touch of framed modern.

I was about to lock the door when I heard a calm thin voice. "You mean that blonde girl in class twelve B?"

I locked the door and instantly changed my clothes. "Have you heard the news? She's too awful," a soprano voice said.

"Like she literally roasted the teacher that made her cry out of anger."

After I fixed myself, I heard a moment of silence. I unlocked the silver door and gazed at the two girls, busy chitchatting wearing an ID showing that they're from the STEM building.

"Chelsea! She looked like an angel but believe me she doesn't even have manners," the soprano voice said. But the other girl just laughed, halted for a while, then continued applying her foundation.

"Do you know Clement?" the thin voice said, raising her perfectly plucked eyebrows.

"Oh Beatrice! He's such a hottie," Chelsea said. "The hot looking guy from Class A?"

"Rumors says that he's an ex of that girl," Beatrice added, "Maysique."

"That's horrible." I stepped forward towards the sink. I washed my hands as I kept on listening to their rants.

Well, It wasn't eavesdropping, or maybe it was. However, I'm just a bit curious about their conversation. It's kind-a intriguing.

"Anyway, let's change our topic."

"Have you seen the cosmopolitan magazine?" Beatrice added. "I looked stunning right?"

"Yeah, I loved your dress."

"It was sponsored by Channel."

I'm still watching my reflection in the mirror when the bell ringed, almost giving me a heart attack. I looked horrible. My freckles showed up and my cheeks were blushing. I grabbed my sweaty t-shirt and folded it. I kept it in my black bag and afterwards, I sanitized my hand. Look at these bitches.

"It's already time. Faster!"

"Oh bitch, I envied you," Chelsea whispered.

She gazed to the floor-to-ceiling mirror and said, "Wait. I'm almost done with my make up." She applied a touch of powder and said, "Done."

I let out a sigh as I heard them walked out from the comfort room. I was about to step when an idea came into my mind. Maysique. I'll get to know you soon.

I walked towards my uncle's office and then I stopped. I've reached the black modern door, showing its name: "Dean's office".

I twisted the cold metal doorknob and shouted, "Good afternoon, uncle!"

The color method used for his office were painting and furniture placement with details of elegant color dominance. There's a whole layer of detail of the colors wherein white abundance was plastered on the walls and floors. In addition, the placement of some furniture with a large size was also visible on his office.

Uncle was sitting on her chair, with full of piles of folders on his desk. I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms.

"Zcyhie," Uncle said. He dropped his pen on his folder and glanced at me. I walked towards the sofa with a large size and white domination looked modern as it complemented with the marble floor.

On the other hand, the girl wearing a white dress pivoted her feet and looked at me, like she wasn't expecting me to come over there.

She folded her arms on her chest and in an irritated voice, she said, "What are you doing here?"

My face beamed with light as I replied, "Because he's my uncle?"

I halted for a while, showing my cold expression. "Besides, I'm the one who should be asking you that." Her cheeks were on fire because of my response.

"She wanted to change class." I was taken aback when I heard Uncle. My eyebrows furrowed, thinking. She wanted to change class? From class twelve B to A?

"I beg your pardon? Perhaps, I heard it wrong," I mumbled. My eyebrows flickered.

She faced me with a flickered eyebrow, eyes squinting. "Do you have a problem with me?"

Well, definitely yes! Yes, I have. I disregard my thoughts. I laughed for a bit, smiling wide and big, and said, "No, but let's be professional here."

I crossed my legs without breaking my gaze at her. "Why all of a sudden?" I added, letting out a mischievous smile.

"Nothing. It's none of your business," she said as she cracked her knuckles, then clenched her fists.

"So, uncle have you decided?" I asked.

"No, not yet." He pinpointed the documents on his desk as he let a deep sigh.

"Her parents are also one of the stake holders of this school, so perhaps." I cut him off, gazed at him as my mouth curved into a smile. "But they only own five percent of this school.

I grinned as I leaned forward and said, "Wouldn't that be too unfair to other students?"

I looked at her as she drew her lower lip between her teeth. "You can take your time, Mister Dean." She stood up from her chair, threw her furious look at me and said, "Excuse me."

I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms. "Bye!"

A loud slamming of the door filled our ears. Uncle massaged the back of his neck as he laughed. "You're still the same." He placed his elbows on his desk with his hand on his jaw, still at awe.

"I hate her guts." It was as if there's a steam coming out from my ears and nose.

He shook his head. "Keep it down. Relax, Zcyhie," he said.

"Anyway," I said, gazing at him while he faced his laptop once again, "Uncle, how's gramps?"

"He's fine." His voice broke, letting a heavy loud breath.

"But how did you know that her family owns ten percent of this school?" he asked.

I fixed my bag as I lay my back at the soft sofa. "Well, I'm browsing Gramps' files when her name caught my eye and then, viola!"

I scanned the withered plant on his window momentarily, then backed at him. "Don't worry uncle. I'm trained."

I grabbed my diary at my bag. There was no entry since then. I grabbed my pen as I have heard Uncle switched on the television, watching soccer.

Gramps was the first victim in his office, Margareth in the comfort room, Andrew in the mall, and Raven was found missing in the hotel.

Something was off. But there's lacking. It was as if they were saying something... something I could not decrypt.

I snatched my medicine from my blue pouch as I yawned. I kept my diary and pen and scratched my nose. I stood up, grabbing the empty glass from his wooden cabinet.

"No wonder, you're the epitome of dad."

I heard him spoke. I laughed as I placed my glass to the water dispenser.

He rose from his seat, watching at me intently and in a dark, worried voice, he said, "Zcyhie, I may not know what you're doing."

"But please be careful," he said, plastering a serious expression his face. "Extra careful."

I drank my medicine before I could respond. "Noted."

"By the way, what are you doing here during class hours?"

"I just wanted to ask questions," I said, as I felt the tingling in my limbs, feeling his threat. "You know stuffs and such." I let an awkward laugh.

"Would you like to taste detention?" My eyes widen in shocked. I'm busted.

"A minute to go out, Zychie or detention is waiving at you." He smirked, his firsts clenched and unclenched.

I immediately grabbed my bag and ran towards the door. I glanced at my left hand; the empty glass was still there. I opened the door and shouted, "I forgot the glass!"

I was about to take a step forward towards the room when I heard him spoke. "Detention!"

Before I closed the door once again, I heard his laughs. "Uncle!" I scratched my head in disbelief. Now, where should I put this?

****

A pink-painted steel frame extending from the exterior facade creates open-air corridors for the students to enjoy. Pink mesh stretches between the steel pink beams, like an aviary. Functioning as a safety rail, it also gives the facade a texture that is complemented by the rough and smooth adobe plaster of the exterior walls of the canteen.

"Look what the cat dragged in!" she shouted, "Miss Fleuvis!"

I hanged my head low, cheeks on fire. I pressed my lips together.

"Hi Miss Shane! You haven't aged a bit," I said. My eyes stared towards the pale decking forms the floor of these balcony areas, which are decorated with pot plants. New spatial elements, transparencies and additions reinterpret the original structure and added to the school canteen.

"Oh, kid!" She laughed, showing her stunning beauty, still on her mid30's. I walked towards the marble tiled counter as I placed the empty glass.

"Gotta put it back here." I paused for a while, and said, "It's from my uncle's office." I sanitized my hand, then smiled at her.

"Moodswings?" she asked.

"Hell, yeah!" I nodded as a response. She just laughed and patted my head before I walked away.

My gaze averted towards the familiar seat. I examined his face; it was still the same as before. His jaw was clenched, clenching his fists tight. It was his mannerism.

There's no effin' way that I'd fall for him.

He wore a plain black top with his black jeans. He leaned his head back at the chair. Minutes later, he met my gaze.

"You're here?" Clement leaned forward and added, "I was looking for you."

I took a glimpse of his blushing face. He looked away.

"And why?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Just checking you out if you're still alive?"

"Dumbass!" I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth and said, "That's not a good joke!"

I punched his shoulder and moved towards his side.

"Why didn't you go home last night?" I placed my hand on the table. There's a five boxes of pepperoni pizza on the wooden table still closed while two cheese pizza left placed on the almost empty box.

"Are you concerned about your future husband?" He smirked as he grabbed the pizza.

My face flushed red, pressing my lips together. "As if!" I said, snatching the last pizza on the box. "You wish!" I instantly took a bite from the pizza.

His gaze landed on me and said, "I already licked that."

My mouth left hanging. What the hell?

"Gross! Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"You never asked anyway." He paused for a while, grinning from ear to ear. "Just attended some important matter."

"Alright." I placed back the pizza to the table. "Let's go! We're already late."

We walked towards the bright red steel staircase enclosed by mesh runs from the ground floor atrium to the second story. Classrooms feature white walls with floor-to-ceiling windows and pale wood detailing. We reached our room.

"That girl..." I pressed my lips together, wanting to disappear, before I took a step forward. "Is she your damn girlfriend?"

We heard screams and the popping of party poppers. All of my classmates sang Happy Birthday as I froze at my place. I glanced at Clement. He looked surprised as his eyes widen in embarrassment.

"Happy birthday!" The wooden shelves line the walls and pale blue curtains were pulled across to section off larger the classrooms into different spaces.

"Sup bro? What are you been up to?" Calixter fist bumped him while Clement halted for a while, then returned his gesture.

He watched me and said, "Lychee, are you're saying something?"

I shook my head slowly. "No."

He smiled and placed the pizza in the wooden table. "Suit yourselves guys!" 

I searched for Evans, I looked up and saw that he's seating quietly on his seat. 

"Thanks, Clement!" I heard the crowd said in unison.

"Today's your birthday?" I asked him as we walked towards our seat. "Why the fuck didn't you tell me?"

He scratched his nose and said, "I forgot about it."

I shrugged my shoulders. Aeron went to his side, bassist of their band, and uttered, "Happy Birthday! So, where's the venue?"

"Gig tonight!" I saw Clement's face beamed up as he nodded at Aeron. His eyebrows went up and down and smiled widely.

"Dwayne Clement." I was about to take another step when I saw a thumb sized reddish mark on his lower neck.

"Don't move." I looked closely. The foundation ceases. I pointed at his shoulders and asked, "Was that a hickey?"

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

35 0 8
Infidelity. Poison. Death. Wrong death? Who? Why? How? An all knowing book where the knowledge is yet to be seen. Time travel?
117K 10.4K 38
The Redding is a sinister force that captures and controls anyone it knows by name. Meg and her fellow survivors navigate a delicate balance of survi...
The Journal بواسطة Ninainkhand

غموض / الإثارة

5.4K 146 52
Growing up with a nerve recking of a father and a dead mother isn't pleasant. Edeline tries to escape her prison by entering the world of her past t...
181 73 23
horror love betrayal death