The Mix-Up

Megzcat tarafından

Having given up on finding the man of her dreams, Theodora Thompson, decides to become a single mother via an... Daha Fazla

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Black Lives Matter

Chapter Eight

4.9K 216 58
Megzcat tarafından

Saturday had finally rolled around, and Alexander had found it difficult to fall asleep the night before in anticipation. He had wanted to make up for his failure to be there when Teddy needed him earlier this week. This would be the first time they were together since he let her down, and to say he was a little nervous would be an understatement.

With a coffee in hand Alec paused in the living room to notify Steph he was leaving. "Hey, I'm heading out now. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon" Alec said grabbing the overnight bag from the floor.

"You know how I feel about the idea of you spending the night there," Stephanie grumbled, but her nose remained in the book she was reading.

Alec released a small sigh "I'll be on the couch. And you could always come along too. The invite is still open," he stated. He had brought up the topic of him spending the weekend with Teddy and the girls, and Stephanie was anything but supportive. She hated the idea and made it well vocalized.

"And sleep on the couch? Yeah no thank you" Stephanie laughed a little at that. "Oh and my uncle called when you were in the shower. Something about work. Wants you to call him back."

"I'll do it in the car" Alexander said heading towards the door. He paused for a moment and glanced back over his shoulder at the women he called his wife. She wasn't even looking his way, as she was now busy with her phone in hand. And that is when it hit him. He didn't kiss her goodbye. In fact the thought hadn't even occurred to him. He had no want or will to cross the floor and kiss the women he supposedly love goodbye.

He wasn't going to see her until the next day. Shouldn't a kiss goodbye be something natural? Than why did he body do the very opposite? Why was he willing to walk out without properly saying goodbye to her?

Even now, after realizing it Alec still couldn't bring himself to head back across the room. Rather he grabbed the handle of the door and exited their apartment. Without another glance back he headed out to his car.

Fishing his phone from his pocket he sent a quick text to Teddy informing her he was on his way. Than he dialed his boss's number.

"Good, you called back" his boss stated the second he answered the phone, without so much of a hello. "I need you to come into the office today."

Alexander was taken back, the office? Today was Saturday, it was his day off. Not like he hadn't put in overtime hours before. He was known for willingly working the weekends. But today was different. He had plans. Some very important plans. "I cant. I'm heading out of town today and won't be back until tomorrow evening."

"Alexander, this is not an option," his bossed stated calmly through the receiver. "One of those stupid interns spilt coffee all over a stack of pitches. The sketches and everything. They're all ruined. We need to redo them. And two of them were yours. The others are already coming in to remake the sketches today, and I expect you to be here too."

"Let me get this straight" Alexander sighed, "An intern ruined copies of several upcoming client meeting pitch decks? And you want me to come in and redo all the work I've already done?"

"Everyone else has agreed to come in. this was a terrible incident and I want it repaired as soon as possible" his boss insisted.

"Which client meeting is this for?" Alexander wondered. If he intended to remake the pitch deck, he would need to know exactly whom he's remaking it for.

"The one on Thursday" his boss grumbled. "Now are you coming or not?"

"The client for this Thursday?" Alec gasped. "Sir with all due respect but that meeting is five days away. I am certain that I will be able to remake the pitch once I come into work on Monday. If this was for Monday's client I would understand the sudden need for a time crunch... but sir I will have plenty of time during weekday hours."

"Alexander, during the weekday you will be doing the work you need to focus on for that day. We have other clients. And you can't just push off your Monday work to complete this task. Everything will eventually pile up on you" his boss tried to argue. "I'm not sure how much free time I can grant you from Monday to Thursday to allow you to finish on time."

"Than I will stay after hours" Alec argued in return.

"Okay let me put this simply" his bossed stated in a low voice. "If you do not come in today. Than do not come in on Monday."

"You'll fire me?" Alec asked running a hand through his hair. This was the second time within the span of a week that he was being threatened with being fired.

"Don't come today. Don't come Monday" his boss repeated the order.

With a sigh Alexander gave his head a shake. He knew his boss. He rarely thought rationally and was quick to be angered. "We will talk more on Monday face to fac. I'm sure we can work it out." rather than wait for a reply, which he knew was bound to be another form of an argument, he pulled back his phone and swiftly ended the call.

Reaching for his keys Alexander swiftly started the ignition. Fiddling with the radio he headed off to his favourite destination.

"Charlie, Joey" Teddy said with a sigh "you two need to get dressed for the day. You can't spend the entire morning in just your pajamas." The girls had been rather difficult and defiant today, regardless of Teddy encouraging them with the knowledge of Alec's visit. It appeared as though little girls had a way of holding onto grudges. They didn't like that Alexander didn't come on Wednesday, regardless of him promising.

Now the two girls didn't trust that he was coming again. Or more so, Joey didn't trust that the man was coming. And Charlie, being the ever protective and obedient sister, had taken Joey's side.

"We like pajamas" Joey answered crossing her arms with a small pout. She hadn't gone through a terrible two's phase, but it seemed as though she might go through a terrible three's.

"I know" Teddy said, "but I'm asking you to put your clothes on. I picked out those two matching shirts you girl's love so much. And once you get dressed we can finally go to the lake."

"Lake?" Charlie asked eyeing her mother. Ah there it was. The interest Teddy needed to grasp.

"Yeah" Teddy smiled "we can go down to the boardwalk. They're renting little fishing rods for kids and maybe we can take out a pedal boat. After that we could get some ice cream."

"Ice cream?" Joey asked, her head turning up towards her mother now, her small eyes widening with excitement.

Teddy gave a nod, "I would like to, but you girls need to get dressed first. We can't go until you're ready."

Joey glanced towards Charlie; it was as though the two girls were sharing an unspoken conversation. Finally Charlie gave a nod and pushed herself off the couch. "We change now" she announced and went running off towards their bedroom, where the clothing was laid out on the bed.

With a small chuckle Teddy grabbed the discarded brunch plates and carried them to the kitchen. Pausing her actions for a moment, Teddy's hand drifted down to her belly. The bump was pushing its way out to be noticed. Up until recently she was able to hide the belly in baggy sweaters and cardigans. But now that May was pushing into better weather she had opted for a sunnier, but tighter, outfit. 

Rubbing the bump slightly Teddy gave a small smile, she was already five months now, and she was counting down the days already before she got to meet this little one. But thinking about the baby made her mind drift off to the thoughts of Alexander. He seemed excited for the upcoming baby. But things would be different once it was appearing more real. Would he want to be there for the birth? Or wait to visit after the arrival? Would he be around often and be involved? Or continue to only visit on the occasional weekend? What about his level of involvement changing diapers and midnight feedings? Or would he leave the majority of these tasks up to Teddy.

And most importantly, the question that was maybe tugging at her mind the longest, what would his relationship to the baby be? Joey and Charlie continuously called him Alec. They didn't know the truth behind their relationship. And of course that's what the adults had agreed on. They wanted to keep things relaxed, get the girls used to his involvement before they announced he was their father. But what if they haven't done it before the baby arrives? Will he be known as the baby's father but not to the twins?

Teddy's daydreams were cut short with a small knock to the stairway door. Turning slightly she spotted Alexander leaning against the wall with his arms crossed carefully watching her. His lips turned upwards into a smile and his shaggy hair was relaxed and styled across his forehead.

"Lost in thought?" Alexander asked, pushing himself off the wall and walking towards her. His slender legs were cased in a pair of black jeans and a checkered plaid shirt was tucked in at the belt. Gazing over the women before him, his eyes settled on her protruding stomach. "Is that..." he couldn't even speak the words; his entire focus was on the bump.

With a small chuckle Teddy gave a nod "yeah" she spoke with a small blush. "Sorry, I can put on something baggier if... you don't want people to see or anything." She was embarrassed and found herself submitting to his every will. Her every bone itched with worry. Concern over not only what Alexander would think or feel about the visible baby, but also about how the town was bound to ask questions now that it was noticeable.

"No!" Alec answered quickly, his eyes shooting up to lock with Teddy's. "This... it... you're perfect. Just like this." Tentatively he took another step towards her. Slowly he lowered himself to his knees and glanced upward, "may I?" he asked gently his hand reaching out to touch her belly.

Teddy smiled softly and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear "of course."

With a beaming smile Alexander moved his hand forward and rested his palm against Teddy's middle. He nibbled on his bottom lip as he moved his thumb against the soft fabric incasing the bump. "Wow" he whispered gently glancing up at Teddy to lock eyes with her. "That's incredible."

Teddy gave a little giggle "just wait until you feel them kick."

"Them?" Alec stumbled quickly away from her as though the wind was knocked right out of his chest. His eyes grew wider with shock and his mouth hung slightly open.

Unable to resist, Teddy burst out laughing "oh Alec." She panted out fits of laughter and wiped slowly at her eyes that had now formed tears. "Them, as in gender neutral. Not more than one." The women laughed more as she gave her head a shake. "You don't have to look so terrified. I promise there's only one baby."

"Yeah but like Charlie and Joey. That was two babies. What if it's two babies again?" Alexander took a deep breath as he was speaking quickly. "What are we gonna do? Is there enough room for two? We would need to buy more things. Two babies is twice as many... everything!"

Reaching forward Teddy gently squeezed his shoulder "Alec, relax." She spoke softly, struggling to hide the need to giggle again. "I've been to my ultrasound. There is only one baby I promise. The doctor would've seen by now if there were more than one. I only said they because I don't want to call my baby an it, and I don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl yet."

Alec took a deep breath and sealed his eyes shut tightly for a moment. Giving a small nod he allowed his shoulders to relax. "Okay yeah, that makes sense." The man slowly opened his eyes and forced a smile. "I guess I had some pre-parental panic."

"That's understandable" Teddy gave a little giggle, "I know I've felt that way too.  Especially during my first pregnancy."

Alexander had opened his mouth as though he had intended to say something, however the return on the two little girls left him speechless. Both Charlie and Joey latched onto one of Alec's legs and gazed up at him.

"You came!" Charlie cheered happily as she nuzzled her nose into his pant leg.

"Of course I did" Alec gave a little chuckle and reached down to ruffle their hair playfully.

"You didn't before" Joey said gazing up at him with sad little eyes.

A piece of Alexander's heart broke. He had already felt terrible about not making it to see the girls during the week, especially after he had promised. But seeing how sad his little girl was right now, well it made him realize just how important it was to keep those promises to his daughters.

"I know" Alec answered sadly, "and I'm sorry for that baby girl. But I'm here now. For the entire weekend."

"Sleepover?" Charlie asked with excited looking eyes. The two girls had nearly started to jump happily.

With a chuckle Alec gave a nod "that's the plan" he stated. "But before the sleeping part, we have a whole day of activities to have fun with."

"Alec is right" Teddy smiled, "we are going to the waterfront!"

"Fish!" Joey cheered with a clap.

Charlie did a happy dance as she wiggled around cheering "sandcastle!"

Alec gave a small chuckle and smiled towards Teddy. "If you and the girls are ready, we can head out. I'll drive us."

Teddy gave a little laugh "drive? We live in a small town here Alec" Teddy stated as she moved towards the front door to assist the girls with putting their shoes on. "We can walk nearly everywhere." When Alec raised a curious eyebrow she flashed him a smile "it's only a ten minute walk, we will be fine."

"But" he nibbled on his lip once again "what about your condition?"

"Oh relax" Teddy said helping Charlie with her shoes. "Don't be one of those over reacting, over bearing fathers to be" she stated softly. Pushing herself off the ground she came to a standing position. "I can walk for ten minutes."

Once the little family had exited the shop, Teddy locked the front door and took hold of Joey's smaller hand. Alec followed suit and took hold of Charlie's hand. The four of them walked down sidewalk moving towards the docks. As they walked several people had given them more than one look as they passed by. But Alec refused to give them a second thought. They could think whatever they wanted; his focus was here with his three girls, not on the rumors or gossip.

"What do you girls want to do first?" Teddy asked once they reached the docks. There were dozen's of people milling around, some enjoying the sun by sitting on the local benches, others fishing off the dock and a few were in boats on the water.

"Fish" Joey said with big round eyes. "Please" she added as an after thought.

Teddy glanced down at Charlie, and smiled seeing no arguments regarding the activity. "I'll sign out two fishing rods for you girls" Teddy stated as she turned towards the marina.

"Let me get them" Alexander insisted. He smiled and took Joey's hand in his free one. "The girls and I will go pick them out. You just relax for a minute." He caught the look on teddy's face, a look that said she wanted to argue. "Please, sit for a couple minutes, for me. I don't want to be that over protective type. But it would help me if you just relaxed for a couple minutes."

A small smile tugged at Teddy's lips as she gave a small nod, "fine" she agreed moving towards the closest bench and took a seat. She leaned back against the wooden frame and closed her eyes for a second breathing in the smell of the lake. This is what home was to her. Everyone's scent of home was different, someone would respond to fresh baked cookies or burning wood or maybe newly cut flowers. But to Teddy, the smell of the local water would always remind her of where she lived.

Opening her eyes she glanced towards Alec returning with the girls, each one holding brand new colorful fishing rods. She sighed softly and gave her head a little shake. She should've known he would do something like this. The marina offered rods for rental, but of course Alec wouldn't just rent his daughter a rod other kids had used. He of course would need to buy them the very best and newest fishing rod on the market.

The girls gave a happy wave as the moved towards the edge of the dock. Alec was keeping a close eye on them as he knelt down beside them. Holding a rod he gave the girls a quick simple lesson on how to release the line and let it sink into the water. With one girl on either side of him, he slowly assisted them.

Teddy watched with a wide smile. It was special seeing the girls act this way with their father, even though they don't know he's their dad yet. It was still meaningful to her.

"Your husband is really good with kids" an elderly women that had recently taken a seat beside Theodora.

Glancing her way Teddy offered the other women a smile. Her heart ached a little at the thought. "He's not my husband," she answered. No, Alexander Daddario was not, nor will he ever be, her husband. He belonged to another women. And although her heart often beat faster when she locked eyes with him, or she found herself gazing down to his lips, she knew better than to act on her thoughts. Regardless of what her heart longed for she needed to put her family first, and she refused to be a home wrecker.

"Ah" the elderly women gave a small nod of understanding. "I see.  That's fine dear. You still have a lovely looking family regardless of you and the father's relationship."

In that moment alone, Teddy felt as though she wanted to cry. She knew realistically it was her hormones playing tricks on her. But her heart really wanted to burst with the feeling of acceptance. Here she sat telling a stranger that she wasn't married to her children's father, and rather than judging her or lecturing her about marriage, the women accepted it. The stranger had even gone as far as to state that they made a lovely family. This was the first time anyone had ever referred to them, as a family.

"Thank you" Teddy smiled warmly at the women "truly, thank you. That means more to me than you can imagine." She reached forward to take the women's hand and give it a little squeeze. With a nod, Teddy stood "I better go check on them." flashing another smile she moved towards the three members fishing together.

"Catch anything yet?" Teddy asked smiling, reaching forward she gently rested her hands on Alec's shoulders, giving them a reassuring squeeze. She had easily noticed from afar that the girls appeared to be getting restless and needed a break. Kids could only sit still and be quiet for so long.

"Nope" Joey pouted and kicked her legs sadly.

With a small chuckle Teddy glanced down at the little girl "I have an idea. How about you three take a little break from the fishing and we go rent a peddle boat." Having noticed Alec's head snap up quick to look at her with worried eyes, Teddy added with a laugh, "I'll let Alexander do most of the peddling. Just a small ride?"

Alec flashed a small smile and gave a nod. He pushed himself off the wooden dock and stood. "A boat rides sounds like just the right thing." He took the rods from the girls and helped each other them to stand. "And maybe after we can get some ice cream."

"Yes!" the girls cheered and ran down the dock towards the awaiting boats. The two parents were following shortly behind them, both laughing at the girl's excitement. "They seem excited for the boat ride. Good idea" Alec stated watching Teddy and assisting her down the wobbly wooden stairs.

Teddy laughed as she held lightly onto his head, stepping down towards the beach where the boats were kept. She shot the man a cheeky smile and teased him lightly "actually, I think they're more excited about the ice cream you promised them afterwards."

Alexander's deep chuckle joined in with hers as he paused to glance into her glowing eyes. "I suppose that's kids for you."

"I suppose so."

Hey Kittens! If you like this story be sure to like and leave a comment down below - love hearing from you. You can also follow me on Instagram at megz.cat where I'll post writing tips and sneak peaks of upcoming chapters!

Chapter Question: Do you think the baby will be a boy or a girl? Plus have I ever given back story to how Alec and Stephanie got together?

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

938 140 17
After reading a letter from someone she has never met, Gemma Moreno is offered a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change her life forever...
1.3K 133 18
Dear Mr. Idiot, sometimes I wonder what we would have been if I had given us the chance. Your wife, Helia ----- Helia Fraiser had never imagined her...
49.5K 2.1K 25
After various failed relationships and a marriage, Nonny Asher, a woman at the peak of her medical career decides to go it alone and get some artific...
9.6M 362K 75
Jules Jenna hates the fact that she's trying to hide in her work to avoid grieving her parents' death. She needs someone in her life and she's never...