Drowning In Desire ***COMPLE...

Da TracyRichards87

He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce... Altro

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15

8.2K 312 24
Da TracyRichards87

The dance area was thinning out as the guests moved to the sides of the room to watch. Abigail moved with Stefan to the center of the room lining up across from him to start the dance. Stefan smiled at her and she shyly smiled back. Her smile faltered as she noticed the gentleman two places down. Matthew was staring directly at her. Abigail instantly turned away. She could feel his gaze still upon her, that it made her skin feel on fire. She hoped her cheeks weren't flushed.

The waltz started. Stefan was an impeccable dancer and kept her mind from wandering to Matthew. He also made it hard to stomp on him it was as if he knew her attention the whole time and maneuvered away from her each time. His antics only made her smile and girlishly try even harder. That by the end of the song she was breathless and giddy. Who knew dancing could be so fun.

Stefan steered her to her next dance partner off to the side and was making polite conversation when she felt Matthew's presence behind her. Her spine stiffened and she became overly quite unsure of what he was going to do. The orchestra started up the next number and the Earl of Devonshire bowed before her or whom she hoped was the Earl according to her dance card.

"Shall we?" The Earl crooked his elbow towards her.

Abigail reached out her hand to place it on the Earl's arm only to have it grabbed. Matthew moved forward between the Earl.

"I believe this dance is mine." He said it to no one in particular but as a statement to the group.

Abigail's mouth must have been open from shock because Stefan nudged her in the side and she snapped out of her daze.

"I must apologize but it seems that I have the dance's mixed up."

She was pulled away before anyone could respond. Matthew was angry. She could tell but she wasn't sure who he was angry with. Stefan? Surely not they were best friends. She wondered what she could have done wrong to make him angry with her. They did agree that they wouldn't marry after all. She let him lead her to the next dance. He remained silent, brooding. Unsure of what to say she held her tongue.

As the dance continued she wondered if he would ever say anything to her. The air between them crackling with tension. The dance steps allowed them to be in close proximity when he finally spoke to her.

"Why him?" Matthew snapped out beside her ear.

Him? Know she understood why he hadn't said anything. He didn't want others to hear that he was jealous. So he does care. The thought of him being in response and when he moved close enough to hear her she said nonchalantly.

"He volunteered his services."

"Did he?" He hissed.

Abigail batted her lashes playing the innocent maiden. "He is so gallant, stepping up when my father is still too weak to chaperone."

The stern look on Matthew's face softened at the mention of her father.

"He is well?"

"He will make a full recovery." She whirled away from him around the dance floor excited that he was jealous that Stefan is her chaperone. Her smile faded as the dance ended and she stood in front of Matthew. She bobbed a curtsy and waited for him to escort her to her next dance partner but he took her to the side of the room and out into the hall.

"Where are you taking me?" She pulled on her arm but he held firm.

"We are not done discussing your behavior."

To stunned to respond she allowed him to drag her down the hall and through a door that lead into the Carrington's study. Abigail was only vaguely aware of her surroundings for she was thoroughly annoyed with Matthew. Her behavior? How dare he believe that she was acting out of character when he was so obviously turning green. She let him know her feelings in the matter as soon as the door clicked shut.

"My behavior is not in question here. If anyone should be asked about their actions it should be you." She turned to leave only to have him grab her shoulder and spin her back around to face him. He was so close that her heart skipped a beat and the room became unbearable warm. Oh, how she hated the way this man affected her.

"What is your meaning?" His voice was raised.

"It is only obvious that the thought of me with Lord Bennett has caused you to become angry." She would not stoop to his level. A calm mind is a quick one.

"You are now accusing me of jealousy?" He was now inches from her face.

"Are you not?" She whispered, afraid that he may actually have no feelings for her.

His eyes widened, she could tell that he was struggling internally. He turned abruptly from her running his fingers through his hair. She watched him unsure if she should explain why Stefan was her chaperone or let him come to terms with her feelings. Her feelings have never faltered since the day he saved her from the lake but how was she to know he felt the same.

"Out of all the men you had to choose, my best friend?" He growled at her. She could see the hurt in his eyes as he struggled.

"I didn't choose him." The response was but a whisper.

Meanwhile in the hall Stefan listened closely waiting for the right time to intrude if he needed.

Matthew was once again within inches of her. She could smell his scent, feel his hot breath upon her. If she didn't love him she would be frightened of the look he was giving her at the present moment. His eyes sparked with anger but there was no hate behind them. Which gave her hope.

"Then pray tell why HE is with you tonight?" He pointed his finger at the door as though Stefan stood just on the other side of the door.  

He forgets who he is dealing with. His antics will not get him anywhere with a lowly farm girl. She straightened to her full height and looked him straight in the eye.

"He was asked to escort me by my father in his stead tonight. As I have already informed you. I was unaware of such arrangement until tonight."

The look in his eyes instantly changed to a smokey green that bore into her soul. In the next instant he had her up against his body crushing her to him. He smashed his lips against hers in his need to have her. As they pulled apart Abigail felt so happy she could burst. He still wanted her.

"So you and Stefan are not courting?" He asked as a reassurance that he understood the situation.

In much better spirits she covered her face with the fan to hide her mischievous grin.

"Oh, I dare say we haven't talked of such things." Her eyes sparkled. "Yet, he has mentioned loving me." She quickly moved on for she could see Matthews features harden. "He is very handsome, it wouldn't be rather difficult to be persuaded."

The look on Matthew's face would make anyone else cringe. Abigail started to fan herself, she turned from him to keep from laughing at his expense. Which would only make matters worse for her. She was sure Matthew was on the verge of strangling her.

The study door swung open allowing Stefan entrance at the most inopportune time. Abigail's eyes widened as he stormed into the room towards Matthew. What happened next happened quickly that Abigail had no time to react.

"Matthew, I can explain." Those were Stefan's only words that he got out before Matthews fist struck Stefan. The blow was so powerful that Stefan stumbled back falling over the settee landing in a heap beside Abigail.

Abigail's squeal of shock ripped through the study. She bent down to check on his person. "Stefan, are you okay?" He nodded in response not moving to get up any time soon.

"As I thought." Matthew's voice dripped with bitterness. He was standing over both of them staring down at them with contempt.

Abigail jumped to her feet. "If the thoughts that you are having are of how dense you truly are then yes they are quite accurate." She was having no more of his arrogance and stubbornness.

"I am not the one flaunting their new lover!"

"Once again he is not my lover, nor are we courting!"

They both were shouting in each others faces, their chests heaving from pent up emotions over the last few months.

Abigail jumped to her feet. "If the thoughts that you are having are of how dense you truly are then yes they are quite accurate." She was having no more of his arrogance and stubbornness.

"I am not the one flaunting their new lover!"

"Once again he is not my lover, nor are we courting!"

They both were shouting in each others faces, their chests heaving from pent up emotions over the last few months.

"If he is not your lover now you said yourself that he wishes it so!"

"He may wish in my bed, but you are the only one that I will allow in my bedchamber!"

"Why?"

"I love you!" she yelled then quietly finished. "And the fool I am for it."

Matthew gripped her upper arms holding her in place as though she might escape him again.

"You love me?" It was a question but he really wanted to hear her say it again.

"Yes." Abigail shyly smiled. "How could you not tell how much I love you. I was doomed from the moment you pulled me from the lake that fateful day."

"But you refused my hand in marriage."

"How could I agree to marry you when you don't love me in return. I remember what you told me the first day we met. You would not be forced to wed and that was the reason our families agreed to it. I was innocent and you felt obligated to do the right thing by me. Even though I love you I could not trap you." Her voice was but a whisper in the end. She stared at the floor afraid of what he would say.

She felt his hand upon her chin as he slowly raised it up till she was looking deep into his eyes. His features were soft and his gray eyes glistened from the low fire in the hearth. He grabbed the sides of her face with both hands gently so she couldn't turn away from him. His voice had changed from anger to a soothing tone.

"Abigail," he paused. "You stole my heart from the moment I held you in my arms. You sealed your fate when you soiled my shoes and weren't afraid to banter with me after knowing that I was a Duke. You have handled hardship with more grace and poise that even I could not achieve. Abigail, you are everything that I am looking for in a wife and all I had to do was pull you from a lake to find it."

Tears pooled in her eyes, happy tears. Could he really mean everything he said? Does this mean he wants to marry her? Stefan cleared his throat before either of them could say anymore. Matthew looked over Abigail's shoulder forgetting for a moment that he was still in the room. He mouthed to Matthew something that Abigail couldn't make out.

His gaze reverted back to Abigail. He rubbed a lone tear that ran down her cheek away with the pad of his thumb and with a tender voice proclaimed.

"I love you Abigail Willhoite. Will you now agree to make me the happiest man alive and become my wife?"

Abigail threw her arms around his neck breathlessly repeating "Yes" as they both shared sweet happy kisses that soon turned into a passionate embrace. So overwhelmed with their joy that they didn't notice Stefan removing himself from the room until they heard the door shut behind him. They both stared into each others eyes as Matthew slowly lowered her to the settee with a devilish grin.

. . .

The news of their engagement sent a flurry of gossip throughout the room. Each person vying for more information in regards to Abigail's origin and how they met. Some riveted at the romance and the tale of true love. Others were more affronted to know Abigail Septhon has only recently came by that name. This however didn't lie heavy on the newly engaged couple as they took to the dance floor for what was their fourth dance together. They were oblivious to the staring and gossip that swirled around them.

Clara stood beside her mother and sister as they were bombarded by each guest. She watched them give congratulations to her and the family while some mothers made shrewd remarks that could only be offensive as if Matthew's choice was a direct result of her mother picking their daughter. She became bored with the conversations and instead focused on the couple in question. They had been inseparable since their first dance together. She was happy for them. She liked Abigail better than any other women that he had courted in the past. She used that word in a very loose tense. She smiled to herself.

There was a lull in the curious guests that she heard her mother heaved a heavy sigh of relief.

"Did they really need to announce their engagement tonight." All three watched them. "A rather inconvenience since I was sorely prepared to explain his hasty actions." Anna huffed.

"By the looks of it, I believe he would have started the gossip mill up by just being around her." Annabella nodded towards the couple. For at the moment, the music had stopped but Matthew and Abigail continued to dance unaware that all others had stopped and were now stepping back to watch them.

"If he doesn't stop he will be in front of the altar tonight." Anna hissed.

"He does as he pleases if you remember, mother." Annabella smirked.

"Well, men can be fools when it comes to love." Anna's voice softened as she watched her son blush when they finally noticed they were now a spectacle.

Annabella nodded in agreement. Clara's eyes however weren't on her brother and his betrothed but had locked eyes with Lord Stefan Bennett the biggest fool of them all.

Clara's heart skipped a beat. "I would have to agree that love makes us all fools." 

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerΓ  anche

Emily Da Tori

Narrativa Storica

260K 13.6K 25
*Book 2 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Nathaniel Whitlock, Duke of Somerhall is used to debutantes who want him for nothing mo...
181K 15.5K 44
Eloise is desperate to take charge of her life after losing her parents and home, and after discovering her uncle's plans to marry her off to a man t...
82.3K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
32K 951 43
BOOK I The King. No one knows his name nor seen his face. They call him cruel, frightening, and won't show his face to his people. Taking over his fa...