The Elemental Mate

Da Burge2k14

Book #2 of The Soulmate Series After being sentenced to death from her fellow witches, Aurora escapes into wo... Altro

Copyright
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
The Soulmate Series

Chapter 27

11.6K 475 34
Da Burge2k14

Aurora POV

Over the next couple of weeks, pack life started to normalize. Xander kept the patrols doubled on the border, but we were no longer on high alert. Iris hasn't been seen or heard from since her failed attack, and Xander had put spies into rogue territory.

When Iris is ready to use the rogues for an attack, we'll be ready.

Walking down the pack hospital hallway, I looked over to Ivy who was following behind me, "Amara's grandmother was an empath. She was close to her before she died," I tell her, "She might be able to remember how she was able to use her gift."

Coming up to the door, I knocked softly before immediately opening it.

"Oh my god!" I scream out before slamming the door shut

(Describe walking in on Amara and Asher)

I heard cursing on the other side of the door and then a thump. More shuffling sounded through the door before it opened to reveal a disheveled Asher.

Ivy and I both tried to stifle our laughter at Asher's ruffled appearance and the blush covering his face.

"Ladies," Asher nods towards us, trying not to look us in the eye.

"Asher," I laughed, "Having a good day?"

"I was, Luna," he answers, a slight pout on his lips.

Ivy laughs again as I hold it back as much as I can, "Don't worry, Asher. I'm sure you're luck will turn around."

He glares at me for the joke before excusing himself. Ivy and I continue laughing before I knock on Amara's door again.

I wait to hear her say to come in before opening the door, "So now you wait," she blushes as we enter the room.

"Sorry," I laugh as she tries to cover her blush at having us walk in on her and Asher, "I would have waited to see you, but it was important we talk when I knew the guys wouldn't be listening in."

She scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion as she sat up straighter on the hospital bed. Pulling up one of the chairs, I motioned Ivy to sit in the other one on the opposite side of Amara.

"What's going on, Aurora?"

"What do you remember about your grandma Josephine?" I ask her.

"Grandma Josie? I mean I was eleven when she died, so not much. The thing I remember the most about her was that she was completely insane."

"Insane?" Ivy spoke softly. I could see a small amount of fear in her eyes as she contemplated Amara's words.

"She would talk to herself constantly. She heard voices," Amara describes to us, "Eventually, the voices just drove her crazy."

"Were the voices apart of her gift?" I ask her.

"Gift? You mean because she was an empath?"

"Yeah," I nod slightly towards Ivy, silently telling Amara exactly what I wanted to know. Her eyes widened for a second as the dots connected in her mind.

"I honestly don't know," she says before turning to Ivy, "You're an empath, right?"

Ivy nods her head slightly, "Yes. I've been able to hold my powers back, but I've never been very good at control. Aurora is trying to help with that."

"Why all the secrecy though? Don't the boys know?"

"Besides for you two, only my mate knows. I didn't want people to be afraid of me," Ivy says quietly, "And I wasn't going to make Hayden choose between me and the pack. I couldn't do that to him."

"I was hoping that you might remember some of the things Josie did or maybe something that your mom talked about that could help me teach Ivy control," I tell Amara, praying that there was something.

Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to train Ivy, but every time I release control onto her, it starts to radiate. Two days ago, she accidentally lost focus and half the guards that Xander had patrolling the house lost consciousness. They were overcome with a feeling of being powerless and weak, that they crumbled.

The blow may have knocked me and a few wolves down, but the blowback Ivy endured was disastrous. She was in agonizing pain for almost twelve hours before Hayden was able to calm her.

If she didn't get control soon, I was afraid she might never be able to make it back.

"The only thing I remember is her tea. Valerian root tea. She would use it to mellow out and quiet the voices, but I don't know if it helped with the emotions too."

"It's a start," I smile, "I'll try and see if I can find some."

"If not, call Jasper from the Circle Coven. He's a botanist. He might know of a substitute."

I nod in understanding and go to thank her, but Ivy decides to speak up first, "How did your grandmother die?"

Amara looks at me first for approval before turning to face Ivy. She gives her a sad look as she tells her what happened, "Like I said the voices drove her crazy. Eventually, they became too much for her, so she decided to end them."

Ivy's eyes widened in understanding, "She killed herself."

"Yes."

I watched Ivy for her reaction, hoping that she wouldn't assume that she would go down the same path. She shakes her head, not wanting to think about that information.

She turned to me first, "You said that there was another empath living in your coven growing up. What happened to her?"

"Nothing. She died during a vampire attack, but she didn't have any health problems," I say, "But she wasn't as strong as you or Josie. She never heard voices and she could only really feel emotions if she was in contact with the person."

"So the stronger the empath is, the more insane she will become. Great," Ivy mumbles under her breath, losing hope by the second.

"But Josie was alone. You aren't," Amara says as she reaches over to hold Ivy's hand.

"She didn't have a mate," I mumble as an idea comes to my mind.

"What?" Ivy asks.

"Josie didn't have a mate, so she didn't have the mate bond to lean on. Whenever you get overwhelmed by the blowback, Hayden reaches out and you can pull it back," I hypothesize, "Maybe we can use the mate bond you have with Hayden to control your gift."

"Do you think it would work?" Ivy asks.

"Possibly," Amara comments, "When a witch first comes into her powers, she forms a magical link with the coven like how wolves form a pack bond. It's why witches are more powerful in a coven then by themselves. The link is how we learn control. The mate bond could work as a substitute."

"I don't know, guys," Ivy says hesitantly, "What if I hurt Hayden?"

"We have to try, Ivy," I tell her, trying to sound as reassuring as I can, "Training isn't going well. I can feel your control slipping."

"I've been fine for years now," she stands up, clearly hurt that I didn't have faith that she could control it, "What do you think is going to happen?"

"You lost your father and half your street died," I try to put my words as delicately as I can, but I also can't let her hide from the truth, "What happens if Hayden gets hurt?"

"What?" her voice cracks.

"Hayden gets hurt, your emotions run high," I describe to her, "You lose control and its not just a few people near you who feel it. It will be the entire pack. Suppressing your ability the way you have been is just going to make it worse."

Ivy looks down at the floor before nodding her head slowly, "Okay. I'll talk to Hayden about coming to train tomorrow."

"Thank you," I tell her before she gets up and leaves the room. We both stare at the door as she closes it behind her.

"Do you think she's going to be alright?" Amara asks me.

"I hope so. She's been through a lot. If we can't find a way to teach her, I'm afraid she won't be able to overcome the emotions."

"We'll teach her," Amara says confidently, placing her bandaged hand against mine.

"I just hope we teach her in time," I mumble.

"We will. You've always been a good teacher. I'm sure you can get her there."

"I don't think she shares your faith in me," I say, "We've been working together for weeks and she's made almost no progress."

"Well you have me now and once Asher finally lets them release me from this place, I will be there."

I laugh at that before looking down at her arms. They are wrapped in gauze to protect her burns, "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. The burns hurt, but it's nothing I can't handle," she waves me off, probably hoping that I wouldn't worry about her. She could hope all she wanted, it wasn't going to make a difference.

"I'm only going to say this once because I know you are going to snap back that you are my best friend and that you will do anything for me, but you shouldn't have gotten involved," I tell her, "Iris could have killed you."

She rolls her eyes at me, "But she didn't. Can we drop it? I've had to hear enough about it from Asher."

"Alright," I concede, "What do you want to talk about then?"

"Have you talked to your mother?" Amara asks me.

"I tried to," I answer, a tired feeling sounding in my voice, "I sent a letter right after Irene freed me from my sentence, but she never replied. I'm starting to lose hope that she ever will."

"She will," Amara reassured me, "She's just being stubborn for not believing you in the first place. What about Michael? Have you heard from him?"

"Not since I got here. I sent him a letter. If he got it, he should get in touch soon."

"Isn't he supposed to be in wolf territory? Can't you just ask Xander if any of the packs have seen him?"

"I talked to Xander about it, but we decided against it. A lot of the packs are extremely against witches. If they knew he was in their territory, they might kill him."

"Damn, you might want to give me that list of anti-witch packs. I'm not ready for death quite yet," she jokes.

"Of course," I laugh, "You have more making out with Asher to do."

"Shut up!" she screams before hitting me with one of the pillows that were behind her, "You and Xander are no better."

"Yeah, I can't argue that one," I smile. It was nice having my best friend back. Spending the last year on the run meant no communication with anyone who knew who I was. If I did hideout with someone I knew, it was only for a day or two so they would be safe. It was nice to be close to people again.

Amara and I talked for a few hours before Xander linked me to head over the packhouse. Saying a quick goodbye to Amara, I left the hospital and made the quick walk over.

Walking into the packhouse, I pass a group of teenagers heading out the door. Every one of them dressed for a party. I laughed as I watched them pile into the cars.

"Hey beauty," a voice called out from upstairs.

"Damn Ellie. You look great," I compliment her when I spot her walking down the stairs. Her tight red dress hugged her figure as her blonde hair fell in waves over her shoulders. She applied just the right amount of makeup to draw attention to her bright green eyes.

"Thanks, beauty. You on your way to see my brother?" she asks me as she slips on a pair of black heels.

"Yeah," I tell her, "He said that he needed to see me."

"Typical.

"So where are you going? It looks like every teenager is ready for a party," I ask her.

"A neighboring pack," she tells me, "The Alpha's son is turning eighteen, so he's invited every ally they have hoping his son's mate will show up."

"Which Alpha is it?"

"Alpha Knight of the Black Stone pack. Xander and his son were close when our parents were still alive, but we haven't seen them in a while."

"Do you know the Alpha's son?" I asked her.

"Axton? No, I never met him," she tells me, "I've only been to the pack once since becoming a pack liaison, and he wasn't there."

"Well, since you will most likely meet him tonight, maybe you'll turn out to be his mate."

"I don't think I'm going to be a Luna," she laughs, "Plus, I don't think Axton Knight could handle me."

I laugh when she gestures to herself as she says that, "You're right. I doubt anyone will be able to handle you."

"Hey! That's not very Luna like," she laughs as she swats my side with her clutch, "You're supposed to say that there is someone for everyone and I just haven't found the right person yet."

"Fine. There is someone for everyone, and I have no doubt that you will found your mate," I tell her honestly. I want her to have the kind of relationship Xander and I have.

A love with no limit.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

The Blue Wolf Da CJ

Lupi mannari

425K 18.2K 52
Book 1: The Blue Wolf Blood, rain and mud filled my nose, whilst ripping, growling and snapping rang in my ears. My wolf was terrified. I was terrifi...
429K 9.4K 44
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...
19.9K 413 26
A tale of supernatural, magical love and rival packs, In years, she transformed from a young girl to a strong alpha. A warrior. *** Ember Hemming. ...
8.5M 261K 37
The Runaway Mate Carly Faye isn't your average seventeen year old werewolf, she's anything but actually. Having lost everything that was important to...