The Masked Truth

Bởi xFakingaSmilex

Two years have passed since Riley first burst into the music industry with the hidden identity of, The Masked... Xem Thêm

Summary
Playlist ♫
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Eight

13.7K 677 126
Bởi xFakingaSmilex

The car hums quietly as we move through the unsettled streets of the city. I lean my head against the cold glass window and look at the scenery swishing past in a blur of flashing colours. It's not the most comfortable position - my head slightly bumps against the window as the car travels over uneven road. But it'll do for now.

Returning from a lost daze, I run my hand over my face and take a deep breath to help settle my nerves. I move away from my slouched position against the window to shuffle to the middle seat to rest my bellow on the back seat of the passenger chair.

"I'm scared, Archer," I say.

There's something about Archer. Perhaps it's because we've worked together for so many years - saved my life and shows dedication and trust that I can easily, and undoubtedly confined within him. I know he won't sell my secrets, but honestly be there for me. He'd become so much of a tour father, and I really appreciate that aspect of it all.

"Don't worry about the record label, Riley! Ava will help you out," he encourages with a weak, but reassuring smile.

Frowning, I lean back into my seat and gaze out the window again. I'm worried about my relationship with Alex, and the feelings I have for Nathan. Adding that with the stress of the record label - I want to pull my hair out and scream. I can't have them both, but I do. I want the safety of Alex by my side as I venture off into the world as a new artist, but I like the comfortability and relaxed lifestyle Nathan can help me build.

I don't want to hurt either of them, and I certainly don't want to hurt myself in the process. But being hurt in this world seems inevitable. It'll happen, and it'll hurt just as much. Heartbreak is horrible, but the feeling of breaking someone else's heart, uncomprehendable.

I feel so fake and hard under all of these layers of lies. Each one thicker than the next, another layer of paint to a picture constantly changing and morphine within restrictions. I'm so close to the ending, though. There's something I can use to be positive about. For once I'll settle the truth and be done with it.

Ten minutes pass and we're late - no surprise there, honestly. Archer parks in front of the record label, and I quickly slip out of the car and run straight through the doors into the front office and wave at the receptionist, then over to the elevators to make it to the meeting room on level ten. Three minutes later, I stumble into the office room without my breath and flushed red cheeks.

"Sorry," I announce as I quickly find my swivel chair at the end of the long glass table.

The balding man sitting at the end of the table pleasantly smiles and accepts my apology on behalf of everyone else sitting in the room. I feel awful for being late, but there's not a whole lot I can do when I'm out on a promotion job. Snuffing fans to make a meeting wouldn't be good for sales. I'm sure they'd agree with me with me on that respect.

I take a deep breath and begin to mentally prepare myself for what's about to happen. Best case I walk out of this place to write more music for the album I know they're going to want me to write. Worse case, I sign my life away for another couple of years. I don't want that to happen, not again. I have plans for the future and being here a minute longer that's not required of me isn't one of them.

"Firstly," the balding man addresses, "We love the demo song you produced. We want more music like the first two albums your written." As I look around the room, the men sitting along the table nod their head in agreement.

Nodding my head, I say, "I'll see what I can do."

"We are positive you can follow the same direction. Please organise another timetable to use the studio so you can record the vocals as soon as possible. The marketing team need time to prepare the album graphic, sales pitch, tours, merchandise line, and so forth."

"I'll book some when I leave." I nod.

"Secondly." My heart drops and I try so hard to stop myself from sinking back into my chair and rolling my eyes with annoyance. They're trying very hard to get me to sign this darn thing. House and meeting deliveries, texts and emails, even Ava on the job. "We've got your contract here."

The man sitting to the right of the bald man claps and motions for the intern standing by the door to deliver the thick contract to me. He nervously, quickly walks and places the stack of paper in front of me like a precious rare idea on a golden platter.

My hands shake with nerves, but I grit my teeth and look down at the paper to buy myself some time. As I read through the first page, I notice the errors I spotted previously haven't been edited. Relief instantly courses through my body - saved by the lack of communication.

"The changes haven't been applied," I say disappointedly as I point to the page.

The intern quickly removes the contract from in front of me and returns to his post near the door. Before they can add anything else, I take charge and bring out the inner diva to help me escape this situation.

"Now. I have more important places to be." I stand up, and with confidence, I stride out of the room and down to the elevators without running or screaming with happiness. That gets me out of the boiling water for another couple of days.

I find Archer sitting downstairs reading a cooking magazine. I leave him be for a couple of seconds before approaching the front desk.

"Hi Sienna," Portia grins brightly.

"Hey Tia," I smile back pleasantly, "Can you book me in for some studio time?" I ask.

"Late night sessions?" she asks.

"You know me so well!" I smile a little happier.

"I'll email you the times, and perhaps a few dinner menus as well?" When it came time to record my second album, Portia had just arrived at the new office job here. She was nervous and new to the area. On her first day, she had to cover a double shift and didn't have any lunch so when I requested she order me some Chinese food, I purposely ordered a little extra and shared it with her. From that moment forwards, we've sort of had late night recording seasons and take away food to pass the time. Eventually Portia became Tia and The Masked Singer, Sienna.

"Yes please!" I nod excitedly, "I'm heaps craving Mexican food at the moment."

"Great choice!"

"I'll see you when I see you Tia, have a good day!" When I turn around, I notice Archer is still settled in his chair reading the cooking magazine he was previously.

"Ready to leave?" I ask.

"Yes." He tosses the magazine on the table and promptly leans us out the front door and back to our car. He gets into the front seat and I slide into the back ones.

"Please take me home, Archer." I huff exhaustedly.

"I have somewhere better in mind that'll make you feel better," he explains.

"I really just want to go home and sleep."

'You'll love it, Riley," he explains, "And don't forget to channel this emotion into your writing. You can do great things and within the right time space. You just have to believe things happen for a reason."

"Archer, you're the positive element I need in my life right now, thanks." I strap in my seat belt and slump back into my drizzly mood.

He's secretive about where we're heading, which makes me a little excited. Because I'm starting to know this city like the back of my hand, I know soon enough where we're heading. The little coffee shop that makes the best hot chocolate in the world. Archer knows me so well!

"You're amazing, you know that right?" I laugh.

"Don't forget my order." He pulls out his wallet to give me money, but I shake my head.

"On me buddy!"

"No-"

"You don't get a choice." I take off my mask, and pull on a jumper to change my outfit up. I open the car door and step outside. I wait for a break in the thick of the pedestrians before flipping into the group like another ordinary person. I walk a couple of steps down the foot path before pushing the door open and entering the small coffee shop and embrace its awesomeness.

There's a small line, so I stand behind the end person and look through the cake fridge while I wait. I find a few delicious muffins and cakes I wouldn't mind getting with my order. There's a vanilla blue berry I'm sure Archer would like, a chocolate chip and a mouse mud cake I would enough.

A few more minutes pass and it's my turn to order. I ask for Archer's cappuccino, my hot chocolate and the cakes I'd been eyeing off in the fridge.

The lady is quick to pass the order along with retrieving the food and packaging it up. I collect the plastic bag from the table and grab the coffee tray in the other hand. As I turn around, I walk towards the door, but I'm stopped when I hear my name being called.

"Nathan?" I turn around and see Nathan sitting at a table nearby.

"Hey." I smile.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Picking up coffee." I hold up the tray, "How about yourself?"

"Getting coffee before starting work." He shrugs his shoulders.

"Well, I'll see you around."

"Maybe we could hang out later?"

"I'll have to check out my schedule. Got a few things I need to tie up over these next couple weeks."

Nathan nods his head, "We should do another movie night, I enjoyed the last one."

"Only if it can be horror." I wink.

"It's a deal." He brightly smiles.

"I have to go now, goodbye pancake boy."

"Goodbye pancake girl." I smile fondly, before turning away and making my way back to the car.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

171K 8.2K 53
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
806K 70.8K 37
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
144K 2K 32
Nagkataon naman na ang dumating na jeep ay lima nalamang ang kasya, kaya nauna ng pumasok si mama sumunod naman sina kuya tanner, mac at kuya Cedric...
53.5K 1.6K 24
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...