Death Is My Frenemy (Book Thr...

Per katrocks247

Dear Reader, It hadn't hit me right away, many things, but especially the fact that I was about to turn twent... Més

All Rights Reserved
Death Is My Frenemy
Chapter 1: The Chase
Chapter 2: Light in the Darkness
Chapter 3: Devin Star
Chapter 4: Your Execution
Chapter 5: Rage
Chapter 6: Bonded
Chapter 7: Pale Reflections
Chapter 8: Old Friends
Chapter 9: Reunited
Chapter 10: Romancer
Chapter 11: Drapetomania
Chapter 12: Walking Mirror
Chapter 13: Facing the Truth
Chapter 14: Deprived
Chapter 16: Mortified
Chapter 17: Drown into Me
Chapter 18: Fight to the Death
Chapter 19: Talons
Chapter 20: Miss Death

Chapter 15: Fortified

191K 9.2K 6.8K
Per katrocks247

Rawr. ;) Song goes cool with the chapter. :p

*************************************************************************************************

Had my eyes not been trained Alexandru's face at that very moment, I wouldn't have caught the drastic change in his expression. I knew who had taken the place of the blonde god because I could feel it in the pit of my stomach, my chest, and even my lungs. It was the familiar warning that my guardian was near, and it throbbed in my abdomen as fast as my increasing heart rate.

 It was as if time was cruelly putting a pause on that cold, angry expression which lay on such a beautiful man and my heart was taking the beating.My face grew five times hotter at the feral, wild look in his emerald eyes before they even leveled to mine.

When they did, all hope was lost.

I was stunned with the jade venom within them. Not to mention it was anything but comforting when the naked, foreign speaking god in front of me spoke out in practically perfect English: "There's so many things I could say to you right now after what I just watched, Faith Williams. So many things."

My eyebrow rose at the blonde god's obvious accent and sudden puberty reached voice. It had the smooth richness of a man's baritone voice. It was Death's voice. His voice was sinfully fulfilling for my famished ears, that  it left my head spinning.

I wasn't talking to the golden, friendly god anymore. I couldn't help but feel a large amount of relief that Death was ok, too.

"Is this accent bothering so much that you aren't going to speak?" Death questioned, his eyes hardening. His lip twitched slightly as if he was going to smile, but it never was revealed. "I find myself having less control on my English when I am so...famished--"

"Death," I whispered. The name of my enemy rolled over my tongue before I could stop it. "It's you? How? How are you--I thought you---God--I thought you were..."

"Dead? Enduring the fire wrath of "All Might God"?"  Death interjected with a low laugh, unhurriedly licking his upper lip. His accent was making my mouth water all over again. "Don't be ridiculous, God hasn't even fit me in his schedule. He put on a show, didn't he? Made it seem like I was really going to get it..." Death's eyes twitched as if it was becoming hard for him to focus and he let out a long breath.

"You look a little green there, Death."

"I'm sick," he hissed. "It must be because I was forced to watch you French tongue my past, naked self."

"He kissed me first."

"He is barely seventeen at the moment."

"He was a horrible kisser, anyways."

Biggest lie of my life. It was like kissing a professional or something... I can only imagine what he kisses like in the future. What am I saying, he's kissed me before. A really, really long time ago it seems. I think my lips need a recap...

"I hope he was because he will not be kissing you again anytime soon." His thickening accent was making everything seem twice as sharp. "God thought it would be hospitable to put me into a dark, endless room with no escape until he decides what to do with me. There's some sort of hex on it, so it's really hard for me to speak to you right now. I'm actually here for a reason you know. Not to just look like an idiot in my past form."

Past form... He looks different now. Maybe there's more disturbing about future Death, afterall, then just his tattoos...his markings.

"Are you sitting in the corner waiting to get a hard spanking? If it's with a cross, I'll do it for him."

It would have been simply idiotic to anger Death when he was incapable of touching me, had I not had a plan in mind to get rid of him.

"I'll give you a hard spanking--" Death went to lunge towards me again but was unable to go any further then a few inches, before he let out another loud groan and clenched his teeth together. His breathing came out in pants after that second attempt to get to me and his nostrils flared like a bull ready to charge. "You...stupid...bitch!"

It's typical Death. It's just...typical Death, I kept reminding myself as the beast glared at me.

I smile formed on my trembling lips. The weaker he got, the more of a chance it was for him to leave. The more chance it was for me to continue on in the Unknown and find out as much about my guardian as possible. Yes, that's exactly what I wanted.

Stay in the Unknown...

"You're looking a little green, there...Alexandru," I commented, a victorious smile lifting on my mouth when his emerald eyes became two daggers.

"How dare you call me that, you human--" He tried to move closer to me when abruptly, his feline eyes winced shut in pain and his nails dug into the ground and a low groan escaping his mouth. " Devil's damn horns, I can't even freaking move! What's the point of this conversation if I can't even grab your stupid little soft throat in my hand!"

"You think my skin is soft?"

Those exotic eyes wanted to fry me in oil they were so sultry. "I will eat you alive the next time I see you. Flesh and bone."

"Buy me a drink, first."

"You distract me, so. I don't have much time..." Death mumbled under his breath, shaking his head. When he spoke up again his voice was in more control, although his accent remained thick. "Do you even understand what you have gotten yourself into, Faith? The danger you've placed yourself in? Hell, I'm sure Devin has even found you by now and you ditched him."

I swallowed a lump in my throat at how right he actually was. "I didn't know if it was really him--"

"Bull, you knew it was him," Death snapped. I took note that blinking wasn't really future Death's thing, and it was just plain unsettling with those snake eyes of his. "I want you to inform you how unintelligent your decision was to enter the Unknown. You poor, poor human, you'll realize it's never enough. It's never enough. It fools you. It fooled even me, with Annona. It made me think she was still alive...for a few  moments, at least, until it trapped me within its hold for years."

A pushed back the emotion growing in my chest, the fear that I would be trapped as well, and tried to focus on a different section of his chiseled face than those exotic peepers. "How are you even talking to me right now?"

"I'm able to project myself through my own memory. The Unknown is not an actual area of land like on Earth. It's merely a mimicking world which feeds off of memories, nightmares, and aspirations. The inbetween area between Earth and the Unknown is what I use for travel and multiplying myself across your planet," Death said. "But the Unknown is dangerous to manipulate, it absorbs the energy on what it's feeding on. It will weaken me even further than I already am the longer I stay here, the worse I become."

The controlled articulation of his words lead me to believe it was hard for Death to speak. Death was use to manipulating the Unknown and the only reason he had been thrown into its depths was because he hadn't fed. As usual... The more he stayed in the Unknown, speaking to me, the harder it was becoming to understand him.

"How much energy is the Unknown taking from you?" I asked.

"Way too much for my liking. It's taking what I preserve before I go into survival mode. God is fully aware of the fact my mind is stuck here and my body is in comatose. He doesn't care." He let out a long, ragged breath before continuing. "Enough of this nonsense, Faith. I'm going to give you a chance to get on my good side. Get out of here. Now. Call on Catos."

Devin and now him, too?

"Why do you care what happens to me when you tried to kill me the last time I was on earth?"

"You and your questions will be the end of me." His green eyes flickered like emerald flames. "I was surely putting you out of your misery. Your society sucks, anyways."

I snorted. "Ok, Death. My society sucks. What a perfectly good reason to kill someone," I said sarcastically. "I'm a lot more capable than you think I am. Besides, I don't listen to liars, my mother taught me otherwise."

The golden man's arms, which held his trembling body shook with a low, vicious laugh. Those haunting eyes locked onto mine once more and a grin lifted his mouth. I had never been so petrified of a simple expression in my life. "You consider me a liar?" Death said, his thick accent absent of his famous sarcasm.

I leveled my gaze with his and let out a shaky breath. "Yes, David. I do. Or do you prefer Alexandru? Death? Ronald? Dean? Pizza guy? Scarecrow? I'm never really sure these days."

If looks could catch someone on fire, it was the one he was giving me at that very moment. "I helped you. And I didn't lie to you. Not completely, at least. Although there is some explaining on my behalf about the scarecrow thing..."

"An explanation would be wonderful."

 The piercing gaze of those green were not only cooking me alive, but sending constant chills down my back. "This is besides the point! You're torturing me every second you walk through this part of my life," he bit out between his teeth. "I'll relive it all. Everything. If you leave the Unknown I will break free from its damn hold. You'll break free from its hold. Even I wouldn't put you in such a position. You're sick if you continue on with this and you're risking your own life. The Unknown, even Catos, could be trying to keep you here until you get addicted. Especially if you are human, after all."

Human after all... It's not besides the point. It is the point. He's just trying to make you feel bad. The bastard has no heart... He doesn't want you to know anything about him. He doesn't care...

Breathing wasn't easy. Maybe it was because I couldn't believe that I was actually talking to a face instead of a blank empty space. Or maybe it was because the guy was finally speaking English.  "I-I-think I'm done talking to you. Nothing you say will change my mind because I don't believe you... Not anymore."

It was becoming nearly impossible for him to continue communicating with me by the way he was breathing like a sick dog, as well as his entire body language.

That didn't mean I cared.

Everything about his eyes protruded from his surroundings they were so exotic, so harsh to look at. "Fine, then, Devin will find you and bring you home. God will see me to my punishment and he'll let me go, and then I'll find you." A sleek sheet of sweat was now visible lining his entire face and even dampening his tunic. "God.... has his own rules for angels that we are forced to follow, Fallen... or not. One of them is to never harm an innocent human. But you don't understand my rules, Faith Williams. My rules were created the moment my curse was engraved into my skin. One of those rules are to never reveal my identity to a human being unless I am eating them alive, or they are on my to die list...slightly paraphrased. I've followed that rule for over a thousand years and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Honestly, princess, don't you think seeing me entirely naked at the mere age of seventeen should count as breaking that rule?"

I forced myself not to look past his waist to the danger zone underneath his tunic, by staring into those haunting, terrifying cat eyes. My own eyes must have looked ridiculously wide and psychotic because I was trying so hard.

Death sighed and dropped his eyes to the ground. "I've never acted decently around you, more than some of my most trusted demonic relations. You should be grateful that I have not chained to my damn wrist," Death continued, his tone thick with ice. "You have two options here. One is to leave the Unknown immediately and maybe we can work out an agreement like two civilized adults." Those burning green eyes drifted down to my jeans and humor lit his eyes. "No holey jeans, short skirts, or horizontal action mandatory during that particular discussion. I wouldn't want to be a dick."

He left his words lingering in the air and sweat dripped down my back with each second he stared at me. So, he was capable of hearing everything I was saying in the Unknown...in his mind. Noted. "The other?" I wondered.

"The other one isn't really an option, it's a fact." His deep voice was a purr of frustration. "It's a consequence that you do not want, and I would very much enjoy, had I not recently found out about your ability as a Walker in the Unknown. Seeing my Fallen appearance will drive your soul into its lowest depths of its own despair."

"Which means...?"

He gave me a look as if it was obvious and flashed me a ridiculously handsome smile. "There's a high risk factor that you will attempt to commit suicide. It's happened a few times before." His smile grew wider. "Those were complete accidents on my behalf, I assure you."

My jaw unhinged itself then clamped close with a snap. Talking back to Death was kind of my thing, I didn't see a point in suddenly ending it in another dimension. "Is there an option D?"

With a deep curse, Death's blanket over his struggling self was thrown off and golden god's entire body started to shake and tremble. "Hells flames, Faith, I can't always save you from myself, let alone yourself," I heard Death whisper, before those haunting eyes slightly clouded over, and the blonde god drifted his eyes down at the ground with his eyebrows knit together.

My heart hammered in my chest. "I...I don't know what to say."

"I told you that I will tell you anything you want to know," Death breathed out. His chest was heaving unnatural amounts and twitching. He was having trouble breathing. "I will. Everything. I promise you, I will. I just...God."

"God?"

"He is beyond furious. I lied to you about just how much," Death whispered. "When he said you were a human...I never believed him. The bastard finds a way to not tell the truth when he knows it is just bad as a falsehood. As if that makes it better." Those piercing, haunting green eyes met mine one final time. "But then again, I could be wrong. God could never sense the evil that lingered inside of me. Inside of the Devil." He blinked away the sweat which dripped down his face and shook his head. "I can't stay any longer. Remember what I said. Call to Catos. . .or find. . .Devin."

God didn't know what Death and Devin were becoming... Maybe evil...corruptness, isn't as prominent in a person as good. I felt the air passages in my chest and throat close up. What if I...?

Alexandru's head fell to his chest as if he was asleep. Moments later he jerked awake and his skin flushed back to a normal shade. His skin was no longer the paper white tone it had with Death. When those emerald eyes finally met mine again, they did not recognized me. He was a stranger.

Just like that Alexandru was back in front of me, the false, sunshine and rainbows version of Death. Alexandru was secretly what I wanted Death to be, but knew the blonde boy was to long gone to be recovered. Death wasn't a boy anymore. He wasn't even a part of my species.

And I wasn't taking that seriously.

 He was a threat, a dangerous aspect of our world. Whether he was good or evil I was absolutely unsure. His hunger was unnatural. It was simply monstrous what the angel would have to do to recover from such a starving state.

I remembered what my mother had said about Death before her mind was wiped clean. She had told me he was the most beautiful person she had ever seen. His face had brought tears to her eyes. Was a masterpiece what one saw before Heaven? Before Hell?

The mere idea of the most beautiful creature in the world made me shiver. Death's beauty was forbidden. It had consequences--there were penalties of seeing Death's true identity. The blonde boy before me was gorgeous, but his looks were not what gave my mother that glazed look in her eye as she spoke of the Angel of Death's beauty.

Alexandru's exotic beauty was of a human. Not of a predator of the night--a killer, even.

Why would God create such a beautiful monster? The question hung heavily in the humid air of the Unknown. Thinking about him was starting to make me ill.

That was honestly the most horrifying conversation of my life, I thought. Devin was right, Death was watching this all play out. Somehow, he was reliving those memories with me.

 This is wrong...this is wrong, I'm  making him relive his nightmares. I shook my head. No, no I'm not! Nothing has been a nightmare. Nothing...

Just then, a piercing cry of a bird punctured my ear drum. The sound was so unsettling it sent my heart chasing the pit of my stomach. Time came to an ugly slow.

ROK-ROK-ROK!

********************************************************************************************

VOTE and LEAVE FEEDBACK, please!  Put your favorite flavor of gum in the description if you enjoyed the chapter! :D
*********************************************************************************************

Can't get enough Death? Join the Facebook group! (External link!)

Twitter! https://twitter.com/katrocks247

Tumblr!  http://katrocks247.tumblr.com/

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

5.5K 204 32
Zaina is 30 years old and work as a head chef in a trends restaurant in Austin Texas. She is a preachers daughter and her very religious mom want her...
13.4K 252 61
We have Calcium in our bones Iron in our veins Carbon in our souls and Nitrogen in our brains 93% stardust with souls made of...
174 33 8
Stephanie Darasimi Ajayi is a 27 year old freelance interior designer in Lagos, Nigeria. At that age, with no prospective husband, everyone starts to...
307 85 21
Faith Carter wasn't your average 17 year old girl living in Westchester New York...on the outside she looked to be any average, timid, shy girl who g...