A Thousand Encounters

By LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... More

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter-59
Chapter - 60
Chapter-62
Chapter-63
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter- 61

4.1K 579 177
By LettingYouIn

"AAA-CHHOOO"

Nandini tried to put the cofee mug on table before she had sneezed but she had apparently failed miserably as she could see hot coffee flowing down table leg. She wiped her red nose with sleeve of her long sweater and found him glaring the coffee mug with his lips pursed. She knew he was going to turn his angry gaze to her as next thing so she smiled cutely. 

Cute and Nandini!!!

Well, she had been trying to look cute ever since they had come out of bathroom. 

He looked at her and found her sniffling. She was trying to wipe something invisible off her gorgeous face. She could be a perfect example of devil in disguise of an angel. He handed her a tissue while she took the mug from his hand to finish rest of his coffee. 

"Perfect"

He murmured and got off the couch to clean the table. She shrugged her shoulders and got busy in fidgeting with the mug. 

Manik came out with a wet cloth and glared her. As he bent down to clean the table...

"AAAA-CHHOOOO"

Nandini gripped the mug tightly as she heard the sound but to her relief, it wasn't her but the tall army man who had sneezed this time. He hadn't even recovered from impact of first expulsion when he heard another and this time he could see coffee mug touching the carpet. His eyes popped out and then went inside as he cursed her for one more casualty. 

It was a sneeze fest in no time where they were giving tight competition to each other. Nandini flapped her arms in air as if couldn't take it any further while Malhotra sat in couch trying to battle the expulsion attack. 

"All because of you" 

He accused her as first thing as he reached kitchen to do something about this cold. 

"I wasn't the one...AAA-CHOOO....who said "I need to wash a few things," She mimicked him and held tissue tight on her red nose. 

Just an hour back...

"I need to wash a few things," He stated and picked her up to walk into the bathroom. 

Nandini worked her legs while he held her under his arm as if she was some file. Putting her on tiled slab, he took off his shirt which was soaked in soapy water. Nandini bit her lip as she gazed him dreamily. She wouldn't mind wandering on such bathroom trips. She kicked his knee with her foot and he, who was busy straightening that messy shirt, looked at her. 

"You're going to wash all these including this one," He ordered as he picked her up to put on the floor. 

Nandini scowled at her putting her hands on waist. 

"You gotta be kidding me, Malhotra," She said ridiculing and he dropped the wet shirt over her head. 

Nandini slid it down her face and threw it in the bathtub along with all other cloths which were already dying a cold death there. Manik could see her putting a straight face as she took two tiny steps towards him. As she stood inches away from him, he realized how he was standing bare body. Her warmth was touching his flesh even when she was nowhere touching him. 

"Are you sure you meant this when you talked about washing a few things," She asked pointing towards the cloths while her fingers lightly touched side of his waist. Manik literally jumped on his toes as her soft touch warmed his cold flesh. He looked out of small window which opened towards heavenly view of mountains. He chanted for mercy to those faraway hills.

"What are you doing, Nandini?" He asked baffled as her fingers traced side of his waist till they reached side of his chest. 

"I thought you were going to give me some washing," She told faking the finest facet of innocence. 

"I didn't mean to...." He couldn't complete as he wriggled under her heated touch. 

She stepped on his slippers and now her woolen cloth touched his bare skin. Her palms gently rested against his chest and he took a deep breath reining his all-over-the-place wits. She moved her fingers over his flesh and he gripped her wrists for stopping her from igniting the never-known-before emotions. 

"What?" She asked batting her eyelashes as he tried to glare her. That's how one might look when they were dazed but trying to pose in control. 

"Nothing," She said and tiptoed to reach his lips. She didn't budge, just kept standing half an inch away from his lips. Manik breathed hot over her smiling lips. She didn't make any move while he ran an entire marathon in mind to take himself away from that one destination. He was running away from the finish line. But then, don't you cross the same line either way?

He took her lips in his urgently and left them just to grab them again and again, and then again. His hands clutched her waist so tightly as if it was only string to hold onto while he was drowning into her. 

Nandini scratched his shoulders ever so painfully and he deepened the kiss. A cold blow of wind slapped their heated encounter and all his pores stood as a response. His thumb was now caressing her cheek ever so gently as he moved his neck across her face to give her one last peck before he retreated. Their eyes met each others' as they stood still so glued. 

"You're insane," He murmured shaking his head and a simper formed on her lips. Her hand stealthy traveled to knob of shower and turned it on. Cold water made him gurgle as he shivered along with her. 

All the passion flew along water and he looked at her accusingly. Her giggles filled the enclosed space and he kept looking her as if she was the craziest creature on earth. 

"It's 3 degree outside," He informed while settling his palms over her soaked waist. 

"I thought it was too hot in here," She replied as if it was the simplest inference ever. 

"Wasn't it?" She asked getting closer to him yet again. 

Manik knew it this time how not to lose to that wildcat. He picked her up and dropped in bathtub where laid all their cloths-to-be-washed. 

"Enough of everything," He said before turning the shower off. She could head him huffing and then puffing some air. He was one specimen of his own kind.

His hands urgently picked up one of her sweaters and drained it. Nandini could see him concentrating on the work as if it was some important drill. Filling the bathtub with hot water, she held his hand. 

In no time, she sat in one end of tub while he on other. In middle of them laid the cloths. He was busy washing them while she was busy making bubbles just to blow them in his face.

Toe of her foot teased him without a pause while he wrote a book on a thousand ways to turn off his girl in his mind. She giggled so many times while he couldn't stop his lip from making a upward curve as if he was flustered any less any way. 

It was a bad, bad idea to wash a few things!!

___________

Colonel Singh walked in mayor's luncheon with Sahiba and smiled at first person they met. Mayor had organised a luncheon party for all the renowned names of town. It was after a long time when Colonel Singh had happily come to any event with his lovely wife. His and Sahiba's relationship had also suffered in past few days but then one reconciliation had mended it all. Sahiba was happy with her husband as he had apologized to Nandini. 

"Hello Mr Roy," Colonel greeted one of big shots of town while Sahiba went on to meet the ladies. 

She chatted with a few ladies for some time before her eyes spotted Rishita Murthy sitting on a table in corner. She was alone and rather looked disoriented. Sahiba's eyes instinctively roamed around to find Madhav Murthy. She found him standing with a bunch of businessmen. She sighed and decided to walk to Rishita. It had been long she had talked to her. As she reached the table, she cleared her throat to grab Rishita's attention. 

"Sahiba," Rishita acknowledged her presence and Sahiba smiled. 

"How are you?" Sahiba asked taking the chair next to her. 

"I am fine. How are you?" Rishita felt spirited out of sudden. All Sahiba reminded her of was Nandini. She couldn't wait to ask her how her daughter was. 

"I am good. Why are you sitting all alone here. You must join us," Sahiba tried to put forward her concern. 

"No, I am fine here," Rishita replied as her eyes kept glued to one place. Sahiba saw her gazing her husband who was now walking towards other group of men and there was a lady walking along her. They were having some hearty talk. 

Sahiba didn't want to deduce anything but she could see cracks in Murthy couples surfacing. Rishita's hurt gaze was enough to tell. She didn't feel it right to dig into matter so she chose to divert Rishita. 

"You must come visit us soon. It's long time we have chatted over Punjabi food," Sahiba reminded her playfully. 

"Nandini..." Rishita herself didn't realize when her lips let that name escape. 

"I mean...does she visit you often?" She asked and her eyes had a shine in them. 

Sahiba could feel a mother's heart, she could feel Rishita's longing to know about her daughter. It wasn't a lie that Rishita along with Madhav had never been proud of Nandini but it wasn't a lie either how no mother could see her child drifting away. 

"She hasn't in this one week but I talked to her two days back. She is busy settling in her new home. She is doing fine, Rishita," Sahiba felt it legit to inform Rishita how well Nandini was doing. 

Rishita's lips curved into a smile which conveyed nothing but amusement. 

"I had never thought she would be making her own home. You know...she can't even take care of her own room. I don't know how she would be living. She doesn't even know how to cook. She never ever was interested in learning any household chore. She just always wished to be set free..." Rishita spoke with a mix of enthusiasm and concern. 

"She is too young and anomalous for this world," She ended and looked down as if taming her emotions. 

Sahiba clutched her hand in hers understanding how she must be feeling. She couldn't wait for the day when Rishita gathered the courage to walk to her own daughter with her arms open. She was sure nothing could stop Nandini to take her in if Rishita let go of her inhibitions and misunderstood ego. 

_____________________

Nandini slowly sipped the cinnamon syrup which Manik had prepared as if he was some medico. Well, he said he just knew. Sometimes Nandini didn't understand if Manik had lived all his life learning one thing or another. He was one encyclopedia. She made a horrible face as that liquid went through her sore throat. Manik walked in the room where wood was crackling into fireplace making it the coziest den. 

His eyes gazed that little devil making faces as she sipped that syrup. He could go and write an essay on how freaking gorgeous she looked with that runny nose and sore throat which had just started to irk her. He looked at the clock. It was 4 in evening. More than half of their day had gone doing nothing but goofing around. His own throat had started to ache as he gulped. He knew he was going to fall sick as well. 

 He couldn't even word it how she made him feel all the time. It was like he was always on a burner and she was the constant blaze. He was sure the book they were trying to read since start was long forgotten. now it was some kind of rambling. Well, maybe it was a poetry now. A poetry where he was the rhyme scheme and she Onomatopoeia. He was the foreshadowing and she a free verse. He was the denotation and she the oxymoron. 

She tapped the place next to her on cozy warm bed while he stood in dilemma whether to go sit there and end up doing things which were not on his mind (Well, they were) or stand there like a creaky furniture and let her come and take him to do things which were always on her mind. 

It was complicated for a man who just never stopped thinking. 

He sighed and went to take the place next to her. She looked excited amid a runny nose and headache. She was glowing in sickness. Darn it! Manik slapped himself mentally. 

"This tastes horrible," She said in hoarse voice. Her throat had gone for a walk. 

"You deserve it," He stated and she leaned on his shoulder. Her legs rubbed against his under the quilt. She sought warmth. Manik let his back rest on the huge pillows which she had set behind them. They both gazed out of window and soaked in the view so breathtaking. 

"He came to see me yesterday," She spoke and Manik looked at her unsure about whom she was talking. 

"My father," She cleared knowing his confused gaze even when she hadn't met his eyes. 

"Really?" Manik straightened up hoping to hear something positive. He thought how Mr Murthy might have come to reconcile. 

"Nothing to get excited there, Cadet," She scolded him in low tone and he sighed. 

"I wasn't excited," He clarified with a pout. She couldn't just know about him without even making any single effort. He could feel the return of tantrums. 

"He had come to see how I was living in a store room," She knew her father way too good. 

She heard Manik sigh. She gripped his arm more tightly as she sought some special kind of warmth which no one could give but her personal heater. 

"He said he would love to see how I survive without name and money," She divulged further and chuckled sadly. 

She felt his lips over crown of her head. She closed her eyes and inhaled deep. 

"He doesn't know what force Nandini Murthy is," He said with a tinge of pride and she looked up to meet his eyes. 

"Then you get flushed when I kiss you," She said and he frowned not understanding the relevence.

"Huh?" He could utter that much when she pecked his lips. 

Manik pursed his lips as if trying to look less funny and wrapped his arm around her. 

"Mr Murthy can think whatever he wants to, time will tell him better," He said in assurance and Nandini shook her head knowing he had no idea how adorable he could get. 

Manik could feel her warmth thorough and through. But then it sank in, it sank in better. She was way too hot. His hand touched her forehead instinctively and he frowned. 

"You have started to get feverish," He said and got off the bed. Nandini watched him storm out of room. She sighed thinking how he would now come back with some other granny's syrup. But he came back wearing his hoodie and opened the cupboard. 

"Change," He told her throwing two pieces of cloths on bed. 

"We are going to see a doctor," He commanded and again went out. 

______________________

Nandini sat in passenger seat all grumpy as he didn't let her drive. On top of that, she was wearing a thick overcoat and under it a hoodie. Her legs were wrapped in woolen legging. And if that was not enough, Manik made her wear leg warmers over it. 

She felt like a freaking garment shop. She had never wore this much cloth at a time ever. 

She glared Manik who was busy driving on edgy road. 

"I look like a teddy bear," She cribbed and he laughed. 

"Such a cute teddy bear," He said to lift her mood. 

She was grumpy for many reasons, least was the cloths. Sore throat was making her annoyed while fever was not helping either. A sick wildcat could get violent if not comforted.

They entered the town and Manik drove to Dr Rustom's clinic. He thanked God when he found it open. 

Nandini walked out as if she herself was the heaviest thing to carry. 

"My back is paining with this much cloths," She nagged and tried to take the overcoat off.

Manik didn't let her and dragged her inside. 

"Fever is the reason for backache, not cloths," He murmured in her ear and waited for receptionist to note the details. 

It took half an hour to take the prescription for both of them. They walked out hand in hand. Old men who were all the time seated there in street gawked at them. Weren't they the same senior citizens who were making faces when Manik had driven Nandini for the first time to town on insistence of Colonel Singh. Manik chuckled at the timing. That time he wanted to get rid of her and now he just couldn't stand the distance between them.

"You go sit in the car, I have to make a few calls," Manik told her and she walked to her truck mumbling something like 'New Mommmy'.

Manik entered the phone booth and dialed a number. He needed to take permission from Mrs Singh for staying the night out because there was no way he could leave Nandini alone in this condition. He made the call to Mrs Singh instead of Colonel. He knew he was taking advantage here but he couldn't help it. 

He made another call to Daadu to tell him how he would be needing someone with Nandini in morning. Daadu couldn't wait to be with his hellion kid. 

Manik sighed in relief and came out of booth. He saw Nandini sitting on deck of truck. She was busy gazing busy street. She saw Manik approaching and jumped off the deck to take the wheel. 

Manik shook his head and prepared himself to scold her but hadn't he known, nobody could ever make Nandini do things which she didn't want to do. 

He tried and failed. That's how they reached the home in less than half an hour. That's another case it was an hour journey. 

God bless Nandini's driving skills! 

__________________________

Unedited* 

Awaiting your reviews and votes!! Those reviews are my good read and I really appreciate all of them. Keep them coming. 💖💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 0 5
This is still a draft but I'll be publishing it na because Wattpad keeps on vanishing all my works😠 Thousands of words na nasayang (2 Whole chapters...
1.7K 113 27
„Harper? „Harper?" „Harper?" ☼♚☼♚☼♚
Old Love By Kai Mike

Mystery / Thriller

255 13 6
❗Important ❗ 1:this story talk about "Army"stuff so if you aren't Army so i think these doesn't fit you 2: this story in it some ↓ # Romantic🌹✨ # Ac...
146 30 11
Bound by necessity, but torn by animosity, they journey through the chaos of war, their survival entwined in a fragile dance of distrust.