BANGERZ 2: WORST BEHAVIOR (20...

بواسطة jasonmccannstan

(Book 2 of the Bangerz Series, a Jason McCann fanfiction) *** "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecur... المزيد

1. Free
2. Past, Presents, and Future
4. Love & Other Drugs
5. Permanent
6. Ballsy
7. Target
8. Trigger Happy
9. Stubborn
10. Fish Bowl
11. The Trap
12. Hostage
13. Trying Times
14. Cold Feet
15. The Truth
16. Bloody Valentine
17. Numb
18. Once More, With Feeling
19. Phase Two
20. New Flame
21. Break
22. Fantasies
23. DTR
24. Practice
25. Blood In, Blood Out
26. Ultimatum
27. Power to Destroy
28. Distractions
29. Redemption
30. Damage Control
31. Empty
32. Prom
33. Promises
34. Trust Issues
35. High & Mighty
36. Initiation
BANGERZ 3: ON THE RUN

3. The Msfts

43.7K 583 696
بواسطة jasonmccannstan

"You and Jason had sex?" Miley exclaims, practically loud enough for the whole mall to hear.

Several of the women in the nail shop glance at us with bewildered expressions. The men doing our nails say nothing, remaining professional, but I swear I hear them snickering behind their masks. If they start speaking to each other in their language, I'll wonder if they're talking about us.

"Yes, Miley," I hiss. "But that was only for you to know." I hold up my phone for emphasis. Even though she's sitting in the booth right beside me, we've been texting each other. I'm so glad that I'm finally getting some girl time with Miley, and super excited for the party tonight. There's something about the nail salon that makes me want to gossip, but I was texting her all this for a reason. Now I'm going to be the Scarlet Letter, wearing an invisible "Hey, I Had Sex With a Guy Named Jason!" stamp across my forehead for the rest of our visit. 

"Sorry," Miley apologizes, truly sheepish. But she's grinning like the devil. "I'm just so happy for you! I know that sounds weird, but I am. You two are like, made for each other, and you said 'I love you!' I'm relieved. And shocked, to be honest. We know you're special, Tess, but still. Jason's never waited this long to fuck a girl." 

A few ladies sitting closer to us look at us sideways, unable to completely disregard our conversation. Miley doesn't know how to use her inside voice. At the moment, though, I don't care. I'm taken aback by her confession. I mean, I always knew Jason was... experienced. All I had to do was look at him to figure that out. It never bothered me, though. It still doesn't. I also don't mind Miley's straightforwardness - that's Miley, expressive and unabashedly honest.

Our manicurists start buffing our nails, and Miley looks over at me curiously.

"Can I ask you something, Tess?"

I put my phone down, abandoning our text conversation. "Of course. Quietly, though."

"Was it good?"

I blink. "Um, yeah. I mean, I have nothing to compare it to, but it was pretty amazing." I lean over and lower my voice. "I almost couldn't walk the next day. That's a good sign, right?"

She laughs out loud. "Oh yeah, that's really good. I was just curious. I promise I'm not trying to get in your business, it's just - I've always wondered. I mean, if the dick is bomb, why can't Jason keep a girl around?"

At this the man doing my nails slips with the buffing spool, and it grazes my cuticle. I yelp and jerk my hand away, and he apologizes, scrambling to resume his work, more carefully this time.

Miley examines the nail art poster on the wall beside her, oblivious.

"Maybe he never wanted to," I reason, returning to the subject. Miley tilts her head, considering my point, and her hesitation piques my curiosity.

"How many girlfriends did Jason have before me?" I ask shamelessly. I don't know why I never brought this up to Jason himself, as many questions as I ask. Maybe because I know he'd say they don't matter anymore, not compared to me.

"Girlfriends?" Miley repeats. "You're his first one of those. But... there were definitely others." She smirks knowingly. "Let's see. So first there was Caitlin. She was really sweet, down-to-earth, and knew Jason from when he visited his grandparents in Canada as a kid. They were more best friends than anything, and they did date, but broke up because of the long distance. I think he still talks to her sometimes."

She pauses, backtracking. "Then there was Jasmine," she continues. "Gorgeous, talented, really spunky. But neither one of them wanted anything serious, so they kinda just drifted apart. They were cute together, though. Jasmine used to always say they'd make 'beautiful biracial babies.'"

I laugh, and Miley hesitates again, thinking. This time, however, her expression isn't nostalgic or reminiscent. It's kind of murderous.

"The closest thing to a relationship he had before you was with Alex," she explains distastefully. "She was nice, but she got so insecure and manipulative that she used Jason." Her tone is as dry and rough as the file on our nails. "She really loved his name and what he could do for her, but him not so much. Hate that bitch," she mutters under her breath.

"That's a little harsh," I say.

"I know that sounds catty, and biased because Jason's like a brother to me and it's easy for me to have a complex," she admits with a sigh. "But it's not like I hated her from the start. We were pretty cool, and back then Nina was still with us, so we all hung out. It's just... Jason and Alex were toxic with each other. He wasn't used to being played like that, so he acted out a lot when they were on and off. Part of it was his fault for going back to her every time, even after he knew he messed up and hurt both of them. All of us really wanted to intervene. He was being stupid. 

"But he came to his senses eventually and ended it for good. I'd never seen Jason so compassionate and sensitive with a girl, but at the same time he became even more of a player after that." She rolls her eyes. "I know that sounds like a long and serious relationship, but it was too exhausting and wishy-washy. So none of us are lying when we say you're his first."

"Oh," is all I say.

"Anyway," Miley says. "Then there was Chanel, Riley, Barbara, Yolanna aka Lana del Bootay, Ella, Ashley aka Ashtray, Shanina, and Alyssa. Jason was just having fun. That was entertaining." She snorts. "Ashley was the one that killed me, though. She was a side hoe but wanted to be a main chick, but that wasn't even a spot to fill. She tried to make Jason look bad, but he can do that by himself, so she just looked bitchy. On to the next one." She finally smiles wide at me. "Now there's you, Tess. Spoiler alert - you're my favorite. You're our favorite. And congrats! You made the player put his card to the side. Oh, that red right there," she tells her guy, nodding to a bottle of deep garnet polish.

I flush and don't hear my manicurist asking me what color and shape I want until he taps my arm. I snap out of it and tell him matte black, square. I'm just stunned by this information. It seems like Jason doesn't have a type, since he's dated them all. I'm also realizing how his past experiences - not just with the gang and his family, but his relationships as well - have shaped him. Where do I fit in? I don't know. I need to stop acting like I don't know what I am to him. 

Still, this information is interesting and useful. I'll try to keep it in mind without getting jaded or insecure. In other words, I want to be aware of things he might be sensitive about without becoming petty or misguided. I was never afraid of hurting Jason like he thinks he's going to hurt me - instead, I was always afraid of boring him. His life is so thrilling, unpredictable, and dangerous, and even though I'm in it now, a small part of me worries that the good girl act will eventually get old to him.

But I shouldn't feel uncertain about this, either. Jason and practically everyone close to him has told me at some point before how different I am. It wasn't like this with other girls. I was always with them for a distraction, Jason said. She's prettier than the other girls you've brought home. Is this one a keeper? Mr. McCann said. He looks at you like he needs you more than he wants you. You mean a lot to him, Za said. Not to mention I notice another thing setting me apart from the other girls: I'm actually a part of the gang, not just dating Jason. Something tells me that that's strengthening our relationship. Trust, loyalty, love, and support are just as important within the group as they are between the two of us.

"Wow," I say now, to sum it all up.

Miley smiles again. "Yeah. We used to joke around and bet on who would be the one tied down. Trust me, we never thought it would be Jason. Like, I would've put money on Gunzo or Kalfani over him. Za and Khalil are always claiming they won't get serious with a girl till they find one that's 'wifey material', but with the girls they mess with, they'll be looking forever." She snorts and rolls her eyes.

I laugh. "Za and Khalil haven't been talking about dates lately," I note. "I don't even think Za's talked to Lena since our scheme with Ronnie and Wayne."

"He hasn't. It's different with you and Jason, Tess. You're in the gang - you're not just 'Jason's girl.' He won't get soft or distracted - not much, anyway. Za and Khalil get a girl and they get caught up. They've actually been sitting out for the most part since the war. But... that's about to change. Real soon."

"How soon?"

"Like tonight soon."

My eyebrows shoot up. "Miley... what do you mean?"

Her expression is so devilish it's kind of scary. She leans toward me. "Let's just say the Bangerz and the Msfts have history," she reveals in a hushed voice. Oh, now she wants to be quiet? This must be juicy.

"History?" I repeat, intrigued.

She nods and the dirt starts tumbling out like Gossip Girl's blog. "Oh, yeah. Za and Kylie had a thing, and Mia and Khalil had a thing. They definitely had a thing. They had a lot of things. Jaden and me almost had a thing, but it wasn't really anything. Then everyone thought Jason and Kylie had a thing because Alex was friends with Kendall and Kylie before, but totally cut them off when Jason and Kylie got close. But she was being jealous 'cause it was just a friend thing. Whatever. And Kendall just has her own thing going on. Modeling and everything, but she could totally have a thing with any one of us 'cause she's fucking gorgeous. Just saying."

I stare at her. Sounds like the Bangerz and the Msfts know each other better than I thought. The Msfts sound sexy, stylish, and mysterious, so I'm not surprised at the attraction. Hell, my team's hot, too. Needless to say, I'm getting more and more anxious to meet them tonight. They're our allies, but now I know that we - well, my crew - has a past with them, I hope I don't intrude on their relationships when we meet. 

These thoughts render me speechless until our manicurists motion us over to the drying station, and she chuckles once she sees my stunned expression.

"We're just real tight with them, Tess," she explains further, carefully sliding her fingertips under the UV lamp. "And they understand the gang life, so it's less complicated. No pressure, no judgment. It's cool."

I look at the neon purple light illuminating my fingers and nails in a psychedelic glow. "What about you, Miley?" I ask. "Any special boyfriends you still think about?"

She smirks. "Sure. But they're all in the past. All casualties of the creative process. Nick, Justin, and Liam were cute and fun and all, but I'm over them. I'm not too worried about dating right now."

"You know, dating was the last thing on my mind when I came to North Shore," I confess, "and never in a million years did I think I'd date a guy like Jason."

"But why? We had this talk already. C'mon, look at me," she directs, and I do - ice-blue eyes, perfect smile, insanely slender bod and all. "If I'm telling you you're hot and amazing, then you know you are. And I know you had a boyfriend before Jason."

"Yeah, I did. A few, actually. Zac was funny, Josh was smart, Austin was a gentleman. But Jason's all of those and a whole lot more, so I just feel so lucky." I shrug innocently.

"That's exactly how Jason feels. You guys are so perfect for each other; it's so cute. He thinks he's not good enough for you. You think you're not bad enough for him. It's so fun watching you guys sometimes, watching you change each other." She glances up from her nails at the same time that I do. "You're changing him, you know."

I give a slight frown. "But I don't want him to change. I love him the way he is." I frown even more as I realize the contradiction emerging. Jason said so himself - You changed me. Haven't I changed as well? But didn't we tell each other before that the good girl and the bad boy didn't want each other to change?

Why the hell am I confusing myself!

"People change in relationships regardless," Miley tells me wisely, jarring me out of my grappling thoughts. "The thing that matters is if it's good or bad. And I promise it's good. Za and Khalil and I were literally just talking about this the other day!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, no behind-your-back stuff or anything. We were just noticing how happy Jason is. The stuff he does isn't easy, Tessa, you know that. Being the leader of the gang, living under his dad and the business, it's a lot of pressure and expectations. And he can get angry and impulsive and troublesome because he's trying to deal with it the only way he knows how."

I nod, my heartstrings tugging with concern. It's like my heart doesn't belong to me anymore, because every time I think about how Jason feels I feel it to.

"Like when he found out about Nina betraying the crew," I note, leaning back in my chair. Every day with the gang I'm reminded of my cousin's part in the Wreckers' scheme, and how unapologetic she continues to be about it. Does she realize how much she scarred them?

"He told me that's the last time his depression got really bad, too," I say quietly, chewing my lip. "I hope he never feels that way again. It scares me that it can get to that point. I care about him too much."

Miley gazes at her gleaming ruby nails thoughtfully. "There was... another time," she murmurs.

Suddenly I feel an itch of dread and a thrum of tension. It's that feeling you get when you know someone's delivering bad news.

"What?" I half-whisper.

"Yeah." She sighs heavily, and kind of sadly. I love Jason so much, but I'm certainly not the only person who cares about him. "It was the beginning of last year when he was still taking Adderall and his emotions were all over the place. I don't know what it was that brought it on exactly, but he just went on this crazy rampage. We still don't know how bad it was 'cause he told us afterward. We just know that he was driving crazy, trashed some warehouse with graffiti and shit, and went to his dad's safe house for the whole weekend."

"The safe house? He said you haven't had to use that yet."

"Well, we haven't," she agrees, twisting her mouth a little. "But Jason went there, to blow off steam or whatever. He probably didn't tell you 'cause he didn't want to scare you. It was the worst."

I'm quiet for a couple minutes, trying to sort through my thoughts. There's nothing to be angry or upset about, so that's not what this weird feeling starting to grip my chest is. I'm grateful for this much-needed girl time with Miley, but our gossip is making me overthink.

Maybe I should just focus on the party tonight. I'm going to meet some new friends, have a good time, and ring in a new year. I don't want to spoil our fun or ruin the mood, but if something really starts to bother me, I can just talk to Jason. He'll tell me anything if I just ask.

"I still don't want him to change," I decide eventually. "No matter how bad it gets."

"That's why you're the best, girlfriend."

I laugh as my manicurist comes over and checks my nails, which look fabulous by the way. He peers at Miley and me.

"Pedicure?" he suggests. "Half off for the weekend."

Girl talk, gossip, and a party tonight, so I just shrug and say, "Sure."

*****

So after we get our pedicures we walk through the mall, simply on our way out to the parking garage, but of course I see a pair of gold chandelier earrings that would go fantastically with my dress tonight, even more than the ones I already have, and Miley spots this amazing jeweled clutch to compliment her white backless gown, so we spend an extra hour and a half making last-minute shopping decisions. By the time we get back to my house it's five o'clock and definitely time for us to start getting ready. The party starts at eight and Calabasas is two hours from here, and Jason's picking us up at seven so we can be "fashionably late" and "not just show up, but arrive." Khalil and Miley's words, not mine.

Regardless of our timing, getting ready is my favorite part. My dress has a tiny cutout around my waist so it looks like a skirt and a top: a satiny black halter bodice and a flowing white skirt with a slit that stops a few inches above my knee. As for my shoes, I'm pushed up a few inches by my black ankle-strap platform pumps with gold accents.

Second there's my hair. I dyed it in October to a honey-ish shade for autumn, but since then it's gradually been fading back and now it's a glossy, black walnut color. Plus I kind of chopped it off yesterday into a long bob. It's still thick and mermaid-wavy, but shorter. I really love it actually and I hope Jason does too. 

And lastly there's my mask. I don't care how cliché people think masquerade parties are - I love them and think they're perfect. It's something about them that's intriguing and sexy and sophisticated. Besides, there's a mask contest, so I picked out a black Venetian one with gold ribbon threaded around the edges and exquisite filigree around the eyes.

"Damn, girl," Miley says as I'm putting on my earrings. I spin from my reflection in the full-length to see her raising her eyebrows at me. "Woman Crush Wednesday for sure. Jason's an ass, but he's a lucky ass."

I laugh, my cheeks heating with flush. "On a scale of basic to bad bitch, am I Becky G or Beyoncé?"

She fluffs her punky-glam spikes. "Who the hell is Becky G?"

"Exactly."

The doorbell rings from downstairs then, followed by Danny yelling for us to come down. I groan, forgetting that he and Anna are home and will probably embarrass me by badgering us for pictures, as Miley grabs her sequined and feathered mask.

"Show time," she announces with a grin, and sweeps out of my room.

I only take a few steps down the staircase before I hear Anna squealing in delight and Danny asking Jason where we're going exactly. I'm surprised he's talking to him at all after everything that's happened with the police, our parents, and Jason's dad, but Jason is as polite and unfazed as ever. When I finally look up I immediately make eye contact with him and feel some serious deja-vu. This is just like when he picked me up for our first date - which, with Jason McCann, meant movies, picking up a shipment, and delivering it to a regular.

That night seems so long ago. How far have we come? It's clear in the way Jason smiles as he sees me, his honey eyes doing that thing when they light up and melt me at the same time. His expression is proud, impressed, admiring, and as desirous as he dares to show in front of Danny and Anna. I actually know that naughty, wandering look he's giving me, and I'm surprised I manage to breathe normally and not trip on the stairs. On top of that, he's wearing a black, impeccably tailored suit and tie and his hair is shiny and coiffed. He's so perfect it makes me want to cry. Because I have him.

"You girls look beautiful!" Anna exclaims, clasping her hands. "And Jason, you're such a handsome date! Danny, quick! Take a picture of them."

Danny gives her a sidelong glance like she just told him to clean his room. "Do I have to? They're not going to prom," he points out.

"We'll take a whole bunch at the party anyway," I assure her hurriedly, eager to get to Jason. Alone.

"I don't like smiling," Miley puts in. "Not in pictures, anyway."

Anna starts to frown but says nothing, realizing that we're just being disinterested teenagers, but Jason comes forward and gestures for Miley and me to step into a picture. He hikes an eyebrow and gives a winking smile, making a persuasive look that is somehow downright adorable, and I cave right away. Miley sighs and gives in as well.

"Go for it, Anna," Jason says, putting his arms around Miley and me. He tugs me against his hip, resting his palm on the top of my thigh, and I hug his waist. "And congratulations, by the way."

Anna beams. "Thank you."

"You see how good I look in a suit now, so I'm gonna be in the wedding, right?" Jason proposes. "Ring bearer or groomsman, whichever one. If TK - I mean, Tessa, is the flower girl then I can walk her down the aisle. Just practice, you know?" He pulls me into a typical prom picture pose and flashes a smile.

Anna chuckles and even Danny cracks a smile at Jason's easy charm. I peek at him with pursed lips - he's awfully charismatic and impressionable, isn't he? He catches me looking at him and smirks immediately, eyes gleaming.

"Okay, Anna, let them leave," Danny says after we've taken several photos. "You guys look great. Have fun and Happy New Year."

We finally make it outside. Jason, being a pure gentleman, holds his arms out for Miley and I to link ours through so he can walk us to the car. We only take a few steps before Miley separates herself.

"Jason, I know you feel like Prince Charming tonight, escorting the most important and beautiful women in your life and all," she announces airily. "But seriously, just tell me to leave and kiss her already."

"Bye," Jason says right away.

She glares at him, not expecting him to dismiss her quite so easily. "Well fine. Treat me like the stepsister. I'll be at the car." She hikes her dress up and saunters off.

"You look awesome, Miley!" he calls after her before turning to me, and his expression changes completely. He holds up my hand and twirls his finger, telling me to turn around, and I do, him guiding my spin. When I stop he whistles under his breath.

"And you, baby girl," he says, trailing his hands down my sides. "You look beautiful. Everything's perfect. Your dress." He traces my curves. "Your nails." He lifts my hand and kisses my knuckles. "Your hair." He twirls a lock around his finger. "That smile," he murmurs, nudging my cheek.

The fact that he notices the little things is what makes my heart soar. Any guy can tell me I look beautiful. But Jason makes me feel beautiful, and that's the boy my mom told me to keep.

"Thank you, baby," I say, grasping his lapels and tugging him closer. "You look damn amazing. My Prince Charming."

He wraps his arms around my middle, intoxicating me with his cologne. I rest against him, inviting an embrace, and he holds me to him, dipping his head to kiss my neck.

"That makes you a princess," he murmurs on my skin. "But you look like a queen, baby girl."

I twine my hands in his hair and pull his face up to mine, crushing my mouth to his. His lips are soft and warm as he kisses me passionately. It feels too good, his mouth and hands on me, so it only takes about a minute for me to get carried away.

Miley clears her throat loudly and we, reluctantly, separate. I try to look apologetic but end up mocking Jason's enamored smirk.

"Save some oxygen for the rest of us, maybe?" she jokes as Jason walks me to his car and opens my door. He hikes an eyebrow at her but opens hers as well, tapping his watch and gesturing her inside.

"Save some hair gel for the rest of us, maybe?" he quips, reaching out to pat her platinum pompadour. She smacks his hand away and he chuckles as he comes around to the front.

"Don't laugh at my hair." She pouts from the backseat, crossing her long legs so her dress spills over into the front. "We basically have the same hairstyle anyway. I did it first, though."

I glance between them and chuckle as I realize she's kind of right - Jason's bronze hair is swooped up at the front and shaved shorter on the sides, and hers is just as short and spiked similarly.

"Yeah, sure," Jason replies sarcastically. He skates past a light seconds after it changes to red with no effort or regard. "I've had my hair like this for two years. If anything you copied me. It's okay, though, I'm flattered."

"Oh, that's right, because before that you had a bowl cut," Miley reminds him.

I laugh out loud. "Wait, a bowl cut? No way! That sounds so cute."

"It was a hair flip, not a bowl cut, okay?" he corrects with a scowl. "And I still wear it in my face like that sometimes. TK likes it."

"Mm-hmm," Miley acknowledges. "Just remember, I have pictures."

I giggle to myself as Jason glares at her in the rear view mirror.

"Just put your mask on Miley," he suggests dryly, "and listen to the radio, so I can pretend you're not even here. I wanted TK and me to be alone anyway."

She sticks her tongue out and flips him the bird, muttering. He turns the dial on the radio and ups the bass on the backseat speakers to drown her out, even when she starts singing along to the Kendrick Lamar track.

After I snap a few duck-face and squinty-eyed selfies of Jason and me - he doesn't even notice, which makes some hilarious SnapChat material - I touch up my makeup and try on my mask. The jewels around the openings accentuate my eyes, which are already dark and expressive, but otherwise it's amazing how much it hides my face. That's the point of masquerade parties, though - mystery and intrigue.

"Where's your mask?" I ask Jason, pushing mine back into my hair.

He switches driving hands and reaches into the console underneath the radio. He hands me a black mask with silver lining.

"This is really nice."

"Wait till you see me in it. I look like the Phantom of the Opera." He laughs evilly in a deep tone.

"Phantom of the Opera... or Zorro?" I say in an exaggerated Spanish accent.

He snickers as he glides into the fast lane, unwittingly cutting someone off and rolling his eyes when they honk.

"Actually neither," he admits. "That thing is from junior prom. I thought it was kind of cheesy for a prom theme, but it worked for us when we crashed another one and showed up high as fuck - "

"Wait, wait, wait, you crashed a prom?" I exclaim incredulously. At mine last year I wore a baby-blue dress, danced kind of awkwardly with my guy friends, and drank punch that I made sure wasn't spiked. God, I was so lame.

"Yeah," Jason answers, entirely nonchalant. This is so not a big deal to him. "East Bay's. North Shore's was kind of lame, so we just lit up on the football field and showed up unannounced at East. No one really knew who we were 'cause of the masks, except Cherry and Tate. They were the only ones in the Wreckers crew that were there."

"We thought that was a good thing!" Miley yells from the back. The music is bumping louder in her speakers than it is in ours, so she feels the need to shout. "But then they got into with Jason's date - either Lana del Bootay or Ashtray, I can't remember - and we got kicked out. Totally killed our vibe. We went to North Shore's after-party instead at some hotel... Oh yeah! Now I remember. Jason took Yolanna. She rode in the back with me." Miley widens her eyes. "Shit. It was her. Now I know what you guys did when you left the party."

Holy shit. Jason glances away from the road and glowers at Miley, his jaw tightening at her bluntness this time. Little does he know, I became aware of all this today, and I was only going to bring it up if it started bothering me. It definitely hasn't. The only thing that is troubling me is the fact he feels he needs to hide it from me.

"Long story short," Jason says, sounding sort of bitter, "junior prom sucked. But this year will be better 'cause you're my date, TK. I'll spoil you." He throws me a smirk.

I manage a demure smile back but can't help the nagging thoughts that cross my mind. Should I even say anything? Jason doesn't seem thrilled about the subject, but now I'm starting to think that's because of me. I realized earlier how much I don't want to him to change, but if he still thinks he needs to hide things from me then I need to change that.

Then Jason reaches for my hand, lacing our fingers and glancing at me with smiling eyes. He does this sometimes when he drives, squeezing my hand, caressing my knuckles - just making sure that I'm okay, that I'm here. My mind tucks the thoughts away for the rest of the ride.

It's clear when we arrive at the Msft Msqrd that we are in luxurious and exclusive territory. The music roaring from the inside of the house is loud enough you can hear it coming down the street, but the property is so huge that the closest neighbors must be at least a quarter mile away. A line of expensive cars heads up the driveway to the Jameson mansion, a magnificent structure of sandy brick, atmospheric lights, and large bay windows and breezeways. Lavender paper lanterns hang around the drive, looking magical and enchanting in the night.

Jason parks among the lavish vehicles and opens my door, holding out his hand to pull me out and then wrap an arm around me. With the shroud of nighttime around us I realize just how amazing he looks in his suit: older, sophisticated, and devastatingly handsome. Then he slides his mask on and my Prince Charming transforms into something darker and more sensual.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look, TK?" he murmurs in my ear as we walk up the drive. Miley follows.

I smile and flush under my mask. All I can see of his face is his beautiful mouth and strong jawline. Somehow resisting the urge to kiss him some more, I quickly wipe my lipstick off him with my thumb instead.

"Of course," I murmur back. "Did I tell you how handsome you look?"

"Not more than I already knew."

I roll my eyes at his cockiness, only to widen them once we get inside the house.

The extravagant foyer soars above and stretches ahead to accommodate the mass of the party: Young Hollywood-looking types dressed in satin, silks, tulle, and tuxes of black and white. There are long tables sheathed in lavender linen topped with silver trays of rich food and decadent desserts, displays of lilacs gathered around silver candelabras, and decorative party favors. Everyone's attire, besides the array of elegant masks, blends in with the ebony-and-ivory theme of the house.

The floors are glossy black and white-checkered tile; the walls are spotless, ornate white; the furniture and decor is all black walnut and mirror-like glass and intricate white trimmings and detail. A humongous crystal-drop chandelier that probably costs more than my whole house winks down from the ceiling, reflecting the sequins and jewelry and smiles of the guests below. Everything is so polished, lustrous, sleek, and glamorous, and it is the epitome of the class.

"Wow," I whisper.

"Jason!" someone yells from somewhere in the crowd, and though I can't tell who it is, we immediately head in the direction of the voice. The cluster opens up and I see a group of very beautiful people waving us over from the grand, sweeping ivory staircase. They have their masks pushed up out of their faces for the moment, so I recognize Za and Khalil, looking spiffy in tailored black suits.

The other four must be the infamous Msfts. Two of them are exotic and absolutely stunning girls with Manila skin, dark hair, and dark eyes. They're obviously sisters - Kendall and Kylie - and I can guess which one is which. Kendall is the tall, skinny one whose cheekbones, long sleek hair, and draped white gown just scream model. Kylie is about my height and slim, wearing so many rings she could knock someone out and a black lace dress. Her hair is short and layered like mine, except she has her ends dip-dyed this wicked teal color, and she's killing it with black lipstick.

The other girl, who I guess is Mia, is sultry-looking and downright badass. She's my complexion with wavy, ash-blonde hair and bright red lips, wearing a diaphanous white high-low dress. She has her arm perched on Khalil's shoulder and is eyeing me like she thinks I'm hot or something. Jaden is a brown-skinned guy with short-shaved hair and a mischievous grin, and he's looking at me the exact same way as we walk up.

When we finally get to them it's like a family reunion. I stand by and watch, delighted and amazed at this friendliness and appeal. I've never seen the crew so close to anyone outside our group.

"It's so good to see you guys," Miley says, wrapping her arms around Jaden and Kendall's shoulders. "And this party is literally epic. You top yourselves every year. Like, do you even know all these people?"

"Not all," Jaden admits, stepping down and rubbing his hands together deviously. He's looking straight at me. "Who's your friend?"

Jason immediately puts a possessive arm around my waist. His smirk is proud, boastful, and warning, all at once. "Guys, meet the newest member of our crew, Tessa. She's the prettiest, smartest, nicest, most amazing person you'll ever meet. And she's also my girlfriend," he says pointedly, raising an eyebrow at Jaden.

Jaden spreads his hands and takes a step back, grinning.

"Hella rad to meet ya, Tessa," Mia replies with a smile. "But damn, Jason. Za and Khalil told us you had a girlfriend, but they didn't tell us she was hot."

"That's 'cause we weren't trying to get clocked," Za explains.

"Trust me, he'll do it," Khalil assures them, jerking a thumb at Jason.

"I'm a girl, though, so I can say it," Mia says.

"Double standard," Jaden says. "That ain't right."

Jason smirks at Mia. "She's off-limits to you, too."

"I'm bi, not a whore. I got it. She's yours."

Oh. That's why she was looking at me like that before.

"Aren't you into guys right now anyway?" Jaden asks Mia. "You said red lipstick attracts the bros, not the hoes." He wiggles his fingers at her mouth.

"I like red lipstick," Za puts in.

"Me too," Kendall adds. "So that doesn't really work."

"Do you like red lipstick?" Mia asks Khalil.

Khalil considers, then shrugs. "I just like lips."

All of us laugh.

"Anyway," Kylie says. "Nice to meet you, Tessa." She extends her hand. "I'm Kylie, this is my sister Kendall. Those fools are Jaden and Mia. You can see why they call us the Msfts, right? We're weirdoes."

I shrug. "I like weird."

"Coolness."

"You know what I like?" Za announces, rubbing his hands together. "Cars, weed, girls, and food. Excuse me while I go get the last two." He starts squeezing past us.

"Za, wait, that reminds me," Kylie says, linking her arm through his and stopping him. "I've been dying to show you my new car. My dad just bought me a Range Rover. You'll love it. You've got to ride it," she grins, and Za raises his eyebrows.

Jason's interest is piqued as well. "Wait, you got your Range Rover? Did you do the matte black paint job you told me about?"

Kylie nods. "Yeah! C'mon, I'll show you guys and let you test drive it. The hydraulics are insane - "

"Hydraulics?" Khalil repeats. "Let's go."

Jason leaves my side immediately to follow Kylie and the boys through the crowd and to the garage, I assume. For all I know it's on the other side of the house. Kendall and Mia go after them and I start to trail them, but a circle opens up on the floor, separating us. There's so many people at this party that that's all it takes for me to lose them, and the masks definitely aren't helping me recognize anyone right away.

Someone calls my name from behind and I spin immediately, thinking that it's one of my friends, but a short, dark-haired girl is coming toward me instead. She pulls off her mask and I realize it's Natalie, a girl I made friends with at North Shore before I became part of the Bangerz and stopped paying attention to everyone else.

"Natalie?" I say, stunned.

"Hey, Tessa!" she replies brightly. "I knew it was you. I love your hair, by the way. You look amazing."

"Thank you. What are you doing here?"

"Oh, one of my friends goes to Calla Vista High and she knows Kylie. Do you know her too?"

"Um, yeah, sort of. Jason and the crew are friends with her, Kendall, Jaden, and Mia."

"Oh, of course, duh," Natalie says. "I just didn't know the Bizzle Gang had friends outside of their group, you know? People at North Shore are still psyched about you joining them. It's totally bizarre."

"Why?" I reply, a bit sharply. "They're my friends."

"I know, but can you blame people for wondering? Everyone knows what they do, even if they don't get in trouble for it. Trust me, we know. I think you and Jason are totally cute, but are you like, doing all the illegal and dangerous stuff, too? 'Cause if you are, wow, Stacey's gonna flip. And is it true Jason got arrested last week? There's always dirt when we come back from Christmas break, but that one is gonna be legendary. Besides your good-girl-gone-bad story 'cause that's epic..."

I roll my eyes. Natalie is nice and never gave me a reason not to like her, so I let her drone on. I've been so disconnected from North Shore - the high school part - that I didn't realize what's been going on outside of the crew. I don't really care, either. We have gang problems to worry about.

Unfortunately, Natalie has plenty more to talk about, and I don't want to be rude so I listen idly. Jason and everyone else are gone for longer than I expected, probably taking spins with the Range Rover, and so I just hang with her and eventually just the punch bowl and the snacks. The party blurs around me, music and masks and mayhem, and of course my thoughts wander while I'm at it. By the time I check my watch it's ten fifteen.

Then suddenly someone comes up behind me and wraps their arms around my waist, pecking my cheek. I turn in Jason's arms and loop mine around his neck, kissing him briefly as we start swaying to the slow music.

"Hi there, stranger," I murmur. "Did you have fun?"

He grins, looking wicked, dark, and handsome in his mask. "Yeah. Kylie's Rover is sick. Za was checking out the engine and we rode it around the block. You shoulda came with us. Where were you?"

"Oh, just drinking the punch. It's really good, you should try some."

He frowns. "I thought you were inside with Kendall and Mia."

"Nope. I kind of lost you guys in the crowd, and then Natalie - you know Natalie, right? - showed up and talked to me forever. Then I just hung out and waited for you to come back."

"You were by yourself all this time?" He cinches me tighter. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you."

"It's okay. As long as you had fun."

"Kendall and Mia should've come and got you."

"They don't know me that well and probably thought I was with you. And it's a party, they're probably talking to other people. It's fine, Jason, really."

His eyes scrutinize me behind his mask. "You sure? If it's bothering you, tell me. I'll say something to them." He pauses. "Or is it me? I really am sorry for leaving you, baby girl."

I massage the hair at the nape of his neck and shake my head, feeling guilty now. He shouldn't have to guess what's bothering me or assume it's his fault. I should just talk to him. I was just trying to push the thoughts aside for the night, but after the awkward moment in the car, it's probably best to address it.

"It's something else," I admit. "It's not really bothering me, but I did wanna talk about it."

"Tell me."

"Okay. Well, first..." I bite my lip. "Why didn't you ever tell me about the girls you dated before? I mean, I know you told me about having them, but you never told me what happened with them. I'm not mad or jealous, but it's something I'd like to know. So I don't hurt you or do the same thing, even if I don't mean to."

He fixes my mouth and studies me closely. "You've been talking to Miley, haven't you." It doesn't even come out as a question.

"She didn't tell me anything you wouldn't have told me yourself, if I'd asked you first. Right?"

He pauses as he considers my point, drawing circles on my back. After a few moments his gaze lifts to mine.

"It's not that I didn't wanna tell you, TK. It just never came up and it wasn't important. Yes, I've had loss, commitment issues, a toxic on-and-off relationship. If I thought you could hurt me like I've been hurt before I wouldn't have even bothered. I would've kept playing." A smirk tugs at the corner of his mouth. "But I love you, baby girl. You're not like the girls I've dated before. Believe me. Please." 

I smile and rest my head against his chest, hugging his waist. "I do, babe. Don't ever think I'm doubting you. I just overthink sometimes, and when it comes to the people I love I can doubt myself. Because I want to make sure they know how much I care."

Jason rests his chin in my hair. We're not really dancing anymore, just swaying in each other's arms.

"You're such a good girl, TK," he murmurs, almost amused. However, there's no mistaking the affection in his voice. "Best thing that's ever happened to me."

"You know, I'll always be worried of boring you."

"And I'll always be worried of disappointing you."

I pull away and frown, stunned by his revelation. He looks down at me and raises his eyebrows, responding to my confession as well.

"Disappointing me?" I repeat. I shake my head. "Never. You know I don't want you to change, right? Ever."

"You change me for the better, TK. You're only bad for me and that's what I like. That'll never get boring. But about me not being bad anymore? You don't have to worry about that." He smirks.

I smile subtly. "Good. I don't have to worry about you hiding things from me either, right?"

"Of course not."

For a moment I consider bringing up the safe house incident, but something tells me it's not important right now. Besides, I realize now what that feeling was earlier, when Miley first told me about it. It was anxiety - anxiety about bringing up the past and being destroyed by what's there. I know that feeling all too well and I just can't bring myself to go through it again. Jason didn't tell me because he didn't think he needed to, and I'm content with that until I ask him. Not now, though. Tonight is about fun and friends.

Jason must mistake my thoughtful expression for hesitation, because he pulls me closer reassuringly.

"Just be patient with me," he pleads. "I don't like talking about my depression. It holds me back. But if something's killing me then I promise I'm coming to you." 

This is comforting enough. I lace my fingers over his neck and pull his face down to mine for a kiss. He encloses me in his arms.

"Are we okay?" he asks me when we pull away.

"We're okay."

"Good." The music finally increases in tempo and Jason grasps me by the hips. "Now dance with me, baby girl. Or for me. Your choice."

I turn and start moving.

After that we dance, talk, eat, and laugh with the crew. Eventually we meet back up with the Msfts and Jason mentions me being left alone even though I assured him it wasn't necessary. Kendall and Mia are apologetic, nevertheless, and Kylie does everything to make me feel welcome again. It's not really that big of a deal, but I appreciate Jason's concern and the effort of my new friends. Immediately I feel like I fit in.

Before we know it it's five minutes to midnight and Kendall and Kylie are making their way to the middle of the staircase to address everyone. Mia, Jaden, Za, and Khalil join them. The music silences and Kylie taps the microphone she's holding.

"Is this thing on?" she speaks into it. She's momentarily staggered by how loud her voice is. "Oh. Okay. Hi, guys! Who's having a good time tonight?"

The crowd cheers.

"That's what I thought. Now as promised, we're having a mask contest, and since it's almost midnight it's time to announce the winner. Then we'll ring in the New Year and tell you guys the surprise." She waggles her insanely perfect eyebrows. "Kendall, would you do the honors?"

"They wanna be broadcast journalists," Jason murmurs in my ear.

"Ohhh."

Kendall smiles like a celebrity as she takes over the mike. "Alright, guys. So the votes were tallied up from the ballot in the kitchen. And I have the results right here." She unfolds the purple slip in her hand. "And the winner is..." The DJ cues a drum roll. "The girl wearing the gold ribbon mask! Wait, what?" She squints and reads it again before comprehension dawns on her face. "Oh! Tessa! That's you! No one knows your name, that's why! Come up here!"

I'm completely baffled, but Jason takes me by the hips and nudges me forward, following me to the staircase. When we get there he takes the mike from Kendall and keeps an arm around my waist.

"Everyone give it up for my girlfriend Tessa," he announces. "Got that? Her name's Tessa and she's my girl. And yes, I know how lucky I am."

"Congratulations!" Kendall says over the applause. "Here's your prize packed with tons of goodies and freebies." She hands me a swag bag and I flush madly at all the attention. Jason squeezes me and pecks me on the cheek.

Kylie takes the microphone again. "Congrats, Tessa. Now it's time for the surprise. When the clock strikes midnight, take your mask off and kiss the person next to you. I don't care if you know them or not. Start the New Year off with a new friend. You guys ready?"

The crowd whoops and hollers and cheers.

Kylie points to the flat screen above the white marble fireplace, shouting the numbers as they flash on it. The excitement and anticipation charges the entire party.

"Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three... Two... One... HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

I pull off my mask and throw my arms around Jason's neck. "Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year, baby," he replies, tearing off his mask. Then he wraps me in his arms, dips me like we're dancing, and kisses me passionately.

I laugh breathlessly afterward and hold his face. "I love you."

"I love you, too, TK."

When I come up Za is pulling away from Kylie, Khalil and Mia are separating - reluctantly - and Jaden is hanging on some girls at the bottom of the stairs. Kendall laughs into the microphone.

"Happy New Year everybody!" she exclaims. "Now back to the party!"

The DJ resumes the music and the pandemonium surges again. Kendall beckons for all of us to follow her through the crowd. She leads us to a room branching off the kitchen. This one is all black with gleaming ebony furnishings and plush couches with satin pillows. On the far side of the room is a well-stocked bar of champagnes, wines, and liquors. Still smiling and laughing, we collapse onto the sofas, and Kendall grabs a random bottle and glasses from the cabinet.

"Grey Goose it is," she declares, twisting the bottle to read the label. She passes the glasses around and pops the cork so it goes flying across the room.

"Ow!" Jaden cries out, rubbing his nose.

"Sorry! I've never done this before!" Kendall squeals.

Kylie adjusts her Cartier cuff. "Mom's gonna kill us." She pauses and tilts her head. "Or join us."

We chuckle.

"It'll be our little secret." Kendall pours the Grey Goose in each of our glasses, tipping it so the clear liquid splashes to the rim, and holds up her own like the Statue of Liberty. "To the new year," she declares.

"To the new year," we chorus, clinking our glasses around and taking a sip. I tilt my head back and down the drink; it burns my throat and sends a warm tingle all the way to my fingertips and toes. I feel lightheaded and bubbly already, but in a good way.

"So guys," Kylie says, crossing her legs on the onyx table, "tell us what's been going on with the Wreckers. The last time we saw you, you were recovering from their black bag job. Betrayal and stealing secrets, I mean."

The Msfts peer at us curiously over the rims of their glasses. The Bangerz exchange meaningful glances. Then we launch into storytelling, starting from the beginning when the Wreckers trashed Jason's skate park and reignited the flame of war. We leave no detail out: finding out Nina and I are cousins during our drifting scrimmage, pranking the Wreckers on Mischief Night, the shipment mix-up, the street fight and the ultimatum, our bang and burn mission, Jose's murder, Black Friday and our alliance with Ronnie, destroying the Bando, and finally Jason's arrest. By the time we finish we've passed the bottle around several times.

"So basically," Kendall starts to sum up, "they came to a knife fight with a gun - literally - killed one of your guys, and got Jason arrested?"

"Yup," Za confirms.

"Unbelievable," she remarks, shaking her head in disgust.

"Are you okay, Jason?" Kylie asks.

"Me? I'm fine," he assures. He hugs me around my middle, pulling me tighter into his lap. "It's us I'm worried about. Our gang. Our lives."

"Why didn't you call us to help you take them out?" Mia wonders. "We would've handled that. You might not have even needed Ronnie. By the way, nice honey trap, Tessa," she compliments.

"Honey trap?" I say.

"Luring Wayne in. It wouldn't have worked if you weren't hot."

"Oh." My cheeks heat. "Thanks."

"Stop flirting with my girlfriend, Mia," Jason scolds.

"Why? Gettin' a little jelly?"

"Nah, she knows she's mine."

"What if I told Mia she was hot, though?" I wonder. "Would you be jealous then? 'Cause if I swung both ways..." I grin and point at Mia, Kendall, and Kylie suggestively.

"Ooohhhh," everyone instigates. Jason presses his tongue against his cheek.

"But seriously," Khalil speaks up, "we didn't call you guys at first 'cause this started off between us and them. Then it escalated. We're only bringing you guys in if you're cool with it."

"We don't wanna blow your cover," Miley says.

"Yeah, this ain't gon' be easy," Za agrees. "Y'all know the deal with the Wreckers: they either fight as dirty as they can or not at all."

"We got you," Jaden promises right away.

A knock comes at the door then, audible over the muted music beyond it. We all whirl in our seats to face it.

"Quick, hide the liquor!" Kendall shrieks.

Kylie shoves the empty Grey Goose bottle into the cushions. We stash our glasses underneath the table and out of sight. As the door opens we settle and act perfectly normal, trying not to giggle and snort. We're all pretty tipsy, so everything's funny.

"Hello," the middle-aged man with a camera around his neck says as he enters. "Could I get a picture of the hostesses and their special guests?"

"Oh yeah!" Kylie does a face-palm. "Mom and Dad hired a walking photographer to snap candid pics and stuff. C'mon guys."

We straighten our clothes and shuffle over to the onyx wall beside the bar, attempting to figure out the best formation for the photo.

"Shortest to tallest," Jaden suggests.

"No, we'll look like a bar graph," Miley points out. "And you're stepping on my dress!"

"Make sure you smize guys," Kendall instructs. "And use your angles." She demonstrates.

"Find your lighting." Kylie fluffs her hair. "And don't smile. Pout your lips and raise your eyebrows a little bit, like this."

"Wow," Za says. "No wonder y'all's Instagrams be poppin'."

"Wait, how does my lipstick look?" I ask no one in particular.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," Jason replies. "It's still on my face, right?"

"Done!" the photographer says.

"What?" we exclaim.

"Didn't you see the flash go off? I just kept snapping. It's all candid. Don't worry, you all look fabulous." He clicks through. "This one's my favorite."

"Can I see it?" I ask.

The photographer holds out his camera invitingly and I walk over to observe the screen. The nine of us - Miley, Jason, me, Kylie, Kendall, Mia, Khalil, Za, and Jaden, in that order - are squeezed together, looking like cookies that were taken out of the oven at different times. Jason and I are gazing at each other in the perfect moment, Kylie's covering her mouth with her hand and laughing, Za is pointing at the camera and his head with hand guns. Dressed in our black and white formal wear, all wearing different but winning expressions, we look like a bunch of misfits.

"It's perfect," I tell everyone.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

12.5K 471 34
COMPLETED STORY--Tessa Young is a 23 year old employee at Vance Publishing with a turbulent life, a prestigious job, and a troubled ex-boyfriend. She...
1M 17.7K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
2.1M 111K 63
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
6.7K 215 6
Tessa Young and Hardin Scott had finally gotten their happy ending after two long years apart. They were eager to start the family that they'd been d...