Burning Desire

EverleighAshcroft tarafından

2018 Wattys Longlisted. A little spicy. A little sweet. A lot of passion. Kate Crawford has always known what... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
The Sequel: The Ties That Bind (Jesse's Story)
Buy Burning Desire
Sneak Peek at Licensed to Kill
Acknowledgements
Dedication
Burning Desire
About the Author
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Playlist

Chapter 28

10.8K 414 38
EverleighAshcroft tarafından

Per Selena's recommendation, I ended up staying at the office to work on my article while she and Kacey went to look at the house. I hadn't yet mentioned that I was planning on adopting the puppy if Kacey gave the thumbs up on the rental. I knew both girls would go nuts over how precious the dog was.

I was halfway to completion when Selena texted me that Kacey was onboard for the house, and that Angie was going to email me the rental application so I wouldn't have to go to her office. I typed up another paragraph and then started filling out the application.

"Knock, knock," Alex smiled, leaning in my doorway.

I looked up from my computer. "What's up?"

I noticed he hadn't gone home to change. He was still wearing his slacks and blue button-up from last night.

"I just finished my article," he said, coming over to lay two pages on my desk. "I was hoping you'd give me your opinion when you get time."

"Yeah, of course. Let me just finish this up real quick."

Alex glanced at my screen and his brows furrowed. "Is that an application?"

I nodded, adding my electronic signature. "We decided on a rent house today. This is the application and consent form for a credit check and yada, yada."

"Which reminds me... You never did give me an answer on if I could help with your move," he said, taking a seat across from me.

"I'd love that, Alex," I smiled. "I think Selena said Joseph's going to help, too."

"I've got a trailer. I'll just attach it to my truck and we should be able to move everything in that so y'all don't have to rent a U-Haul."

I looked at him like he made the sun rise. "I really, really adore you. You know that?"

He smirked and leaned back in the chair. "Yeah. I think I got that idea last night."

Mandy happened to be walking by down the hall and I put a finger to my lips to Alex. She eyed us like she knew exactly what was going on between us.

Alex snickered after she'd passed. "Think she heard us?"

"I think she's a mind reader. She's all-knowing and seeing and everything," I said matter-of-factly, retrieving my phone from my purse on the floor. "Give me a minute. I've got to make a call."

I emailed the completed application back to Angie and dialed the number for the rescue.

"Pet Protectors. This is Maggie."

"Hey, Maggie!" I smiled, looking at Alex, who was oblivious to what the call was about. "This is Kate Crawford. I wanted to let you know that we did end up deciding on that house, and I was wondering when would be a good time for me to drop by and adopt that sweet little girl?"

Alex's eyes got wide at my words. He probably thought I was talking about an actual child! I tried not to giggle at his expression while Maggie told me she'd put together a box of food, treats, and other items for me. We agreed on four o'clock.

"What was that about?" Alex asked in a slightly high-pitched voice when I set the phone down.

Now I couldn't help giggling. "I visited an animal rescue this morning for my article and this little golden retriever puppy stole my heart. I'm going to adopt her today."

His eyebrows raised and a cheesy smile stretched across his face.

"Now I just have to find a good fencing company to put up a fence around the yard," I continued. "The owner allows dogs, but he expects us to put up the fence with our own money."

Alex shook his head at the idea. "Nah. That's the expensive way to do it. What do you want? A regular privacy fence? I'll take the truck down to Home Depot and buy a load of fence slats and we'll build it ourselves."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "Come again?"

He shrugged and flashed me that knee-weakening smile again. "I'm serious. I've built fences before. It's easy."

"Boy, you are really showing off that Texas streak in you right now," I laughed. "Whatever you say, though. If you think you can handle it, go for it."

Alex smirked. "Don't think I'll be doing all the work, Kate. You're going to help."

"I know." I waved my hand. "Every job needs a supervisor. I'll just be the supervisor."

He rolled his eyes and chuckled, shaking his head.

Damn, that smile was really something. And his laugh was like music to my ears.

Get a grip, Kate!

"So... You want a hand with that puppy adoption?" he asked in a hopeful voice, his eyes twinkling like a kid on Christmas morning.

"You just want to see a puppy, don't you?" I looked at him knowingly.

He grinned and nodded. "Yeah. I really do."

We agreed that Alex would accompany me to the rescue, and as the afternoon went on, my excitement continued to grow. It had been a few years since I'd had a pet. My last pet had been a cat, because dogs weren't allowed in the apartment I rented during my last year of school. I'd been wanting to get a dog for a long time, but with my long work hours and the long commute on top of that, it had never seemed like the right time. I was sure, living closer to work, I'd have plenty of time to devote to a dog now, and I really couldn't be more thrilled, the more I thought about it!

As the day went on, my phone seemed to ring nonstop. First, it was Angie. She called to inform me that our applications had been approved, as expected, and that she'd be emailing me the lease agreement, which I quickly signed and sent back.

Selena, Kacey, and I agreed on Friday morning to meet with the landlord to pay the first month's rent and decide on a day to start moving in. I told them about Alex's sweet offer to not only provide the moving trailer, but also build the fence. As I predicted, both girls squealed with excitement at the mention of a puppy coming to live with us.

The next call was from Lindsey, telling me she'd officially listed my house for sale and she was putting the sign in the yard as we spoke. I made a mental note to run by the recycling place and pick up a bunch of moving boxes on my way home. I needed to hurry up and get started on packing.

In between phone calls, I finished writing my article and sent it to Selena to get her opinion. She read it over lunch with Kacey and texted me an enthusiastic approval, complete with nineteen emoji hearts. I took that as my cue to give it one last glance over, and sent it in to the editors and Mandy.

Next, I grabbed a coffee refill and decided then was a perfect time to read Alex's article. I wasn't emotionally prepared for how heavy it would be, though.

The article was a little longer than mine and a lot more personal. Alex framed the column around his cousin, Matthew, whom he'd been close to in their younger years. They'd gone to the same school, played the same sports, and even dated the same cheerleader at one point. They were more like brothers than cousins, practically inseparable. But shortly after Matthew turned seventeen, he committed suicide – a result of years of depression and anxiety encompassing him, and no one noticing the signs and offering help.

In the article, Alex talked about blaming himself for years, wishing he'd realized that something was wrong. Matthew had never said anything to him about the pain that plagued his life, but Alex was sure he'd missed something, a sign somewhere along the way. Even if it had been as miniscule as a brief frown, he said he wished he'd questioned Matthew about it, just so he would've seen that someone gave a damn.

Alex wrote about how often people commit suicide because they believe there's no way out and that no one truly cares. To these people, he said, they're constantly pleading for help, but no one ever seems to notice. He went on to list signs and symptoms, things to look for, and how to be there for someone in Matthew's position. The article was so moving; tears were gliding down my cheeks by the time I finished reading it. My heart ached for both Alex and Matthew.

I sat there in silence for a moment and realized how thankful I was that we'd been given the opportunity to write about these subjects and help bring awareness to such important parts of life. I was sure we'd reach a lot of people with these articles, and I was anxious to see the positive response from Joseph's article on LGBTQ+ rights as well.

Another phone call startled me out of my thoughts and I smiled when I heard a familiar voice on the line.

"Hey there, gorgeous," Jesse's sultry voice serenaded my ears. "I'm so fucking sorry I've been so busy with work these last two days. Listen, I was wondering if we could go get dinner tonight."

It felt like I hadn't seen Jesse in ages, though it'd only been a couple days. He'd texted me off and on, but I knew he was overloaded with work. Dinner with him sounded very tempting, and I almost said yes, but then I remembered I would be bringing home a puppy after work and I wasn't about to leave her running loose in my house while I went out. Who knew what she'd chew up!

"I would absolutely love to, but I'm actually adopting a puppy this afternoon and I just wouldn't be able to go out tonight," I explained, feeling a bit guilty.

Jesse's cheerful tone didn't drop the way I'd expected it to. "That's alright. I'd be happy to come over, if that's okay. I understand if you'll be too busy getting the dog settled, though. I just miss you, Kate. It's been a long couple of days without you."

Just then, Alex knocked on my open door and mouthed that it was nearing time to leave for the rescue.

"Can I get back to you on that? I need to head out right now," I said regretfully.

"Uh... Sure." Now Jesse sounded bummed. "I'll just wait for a text or something, I guess."

"I'll let you know in a little while," I told him and ended the call.

Alex twirled his keys around his pointer finger while I pulled on my jacket. He still had that twinkle in his eyes, excited to go see the puppy. I couldn't help but swoon a bit.

The drive to Pet Protectors wasn't very long. The rush hour crazies hadn't begun their street acrobatics yet. Alex followed me over there, flashing me dorky looks and making me laugh every time I looked in my rearview mirror.

I was excited about the adoption, mentally going through a checklist of things I needed to get at the store for her on my way home, but somewhere in between the puppy pads and chew toys, Jesse kept popping into my head. I felt so bad for semi-turning him down.

We pulled into the parking lot and I could see Maggie inside, smiling when she saw me get out of the car. Alex wrapped an arm around my waist and walked me to the door, holding it open for me.

"I've already got your box ready to go," Maggie said when we walked in.

On the counter sat a box with treats, food, and various other items. She even included a couple chew toys. That would save me the trouble of buying some for a little while.

I thanked her and she and Alex exchanged hellos.

Alex and I followed her back to where the puppy waited, shredding the newspaper she was supposed to use as her bathroom. She seemed to recognize me from earlier and started jumping and wagging her tail like crazy. If I wasn't in love before, I definitely was at that point.

Maggie opened the gate and the puppy came rushing out into my arms when I crouched down.

"It was meant to be," Alex chuckled, watching the puppy lick all over my face.

"Do you want to hold her while I do the paperwork?" I asked, already knowing his answer.

He grinned ear-to-ear and happily accepted her when I held her out.

Maggie lead us back up front where I filled out an adoption form. I reached for my purse to pay the fifty dollars, but Alex stopped me. I looked at him confused.

"Let me pay for her," he said with that same twinkle in his eyes.

I started to protest, but he handed the puppy back to me and pulled out his wallet.

"Please," he smiled sweetly. "It's almost Christmas. Let this be my present to you."

If it'd been possible, I would've melted into a pile of goo right there on the floor.

I rolled my eyes, but thanked him. He handed Maggie the cash and she printed out a copy of the puppy's vet records for me. Maggie explained to me that her sister was a veterinarian and would be more than happy to provide the rest of the puppy's shots, worming, and spay for free, since she wasn't old enough to have already had all that done.

I passed the puppy back to Alex while Maggie and I talked a few more minutes. We were about to say goodbye when Alex groaned and started laughing.

"What?" Maggie and I asked at the same time.

He cocked an amused brow and held the dog out from his chest. On his shirt was a big wet spot.

"Of course, she had to pee on me," he chuckled, shaking his head.

I thanked Maggie again and she let me know what day she wanted to designate as the big pre-Christmas adoption day so I could note it at the end of the article. I told her roughly what day the article should be up and I also made sure to throw an extra twenty dollars in the donation jar on the way out.

Alex helped me get the puppy situated in the car and he gave me a long, satisfying kiss before we parted ways to head home. Before I even pulled out of the parking lot, the puppy was fast asleep in my passenger seat.

"Now... What am I going to name you?"

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.1M 43.7K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...
2.1M 56.3K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...
204K 9.8K 80
We walk into the conference room, and i feel the room oozing with male testosterone, as i join the six men already in their seats. I walk with Silas...
3.9K 173 17
"Do you know what it feels like to sweat in bed, Bailey? Have you ever felt your body giving out, but being so consumed that you don't want to stop?"...