Crash & Burn

Sophia_Heart

Zoe's life is turned upside down when a devastating house fire leaves her and her family homeless. Forced to... Еще

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Seven

294 27 0
Sophia_Heart

"Where is she?" Asher whispered, biting hard on his lower lip.

"Is she never coming back?" Alice asked, eyes wide.

As the sky darkened, they'd both abandoned the cartoon they'd been watching on TV. I could understand why they were worried; I was more than a little concerned myself. Mom had never been this late back before.

"Of course she's coming back. She's just been held up somewhere," I told them, a confidence I didn't feel in my voice. Grabbing the remote, I put the volume up. "Look Ribbidy Rabbidy is on."

Successfully distracted by their favourite show, they both turned back to the TV.

"What time did your mom say she'd be back, Zoe?" Elizabeth asked with impeccable timing, poking her head round the corner.

Thankfully, Alice and Asher were absorbed into their cartoon.

"She didn't. I thought she'd be picking me up after school, but..." I looked at the big grandfather clock in the corner of the room, and saw that it was now six pm. School had let out three hours ago.

"I'll try her phone," she said, taking off her apron and picking up the landline. She pressed a few buttons on the phone, and placed it to her ear.

"I've already tried calling a few times," I told her.

She paused, a line appearing between her brows. "Still, no harm in trying her again."

She listened for several moments, fiddling with one of the long beaded necklaces she wore around her neck.

"Answering machine?" I said, as she put the phone down with a sigh. It wasn't really a question.

She nodded. "I'll get back to preparing dinner. She's probably just stuck in traffic. Don't worry so, love."

I tried to listen to her advice, as I stared at the TV screen, not really seeing anything. Where was she? And why wasn't she answering her phone?

Half an hour later, Alice climbed onto my lap, resting her chin on my shoulder like she did whenever she was worried or scared. "I want Mom."

"I–" The doorbell rang then, cutting me off. I jumped up, placing Alice on the ground, and ran for the door. Pulling it open, I saw Mom standing on the porch, smiling - no, she was beaming. "Mom!"

"Mom?"

"Mom."

Alice and Asher ran up behind me, ducking under my arms to get to her.

"I got a job!" she said, her eyes shining. She swooped down, giving Alice and Asher a kiss each. "Let's go inside and get out of this chill, so I can tell you all about it."

Elizabeth came out of the kitchen just as we all trailed inside, wiping her hands on a dish towel. "Where've you been, Eve? You've had the little ones right worried."

"I know, Liz. I'm so sorry, guys." She kept both arms around Alice and Asher, who huddled close to her. "But I couldn't let the opportunity pass, and it actually paid off. I've got a job! I'll be working as a PA for a lawyer. I've had quite a lot of experience in that area, of course, but this time my boss seems like a genuinely good guy."

"That's... that's great!" I said, reeling from this new development.

"Well, this calls for a celebration," Elizabeth said, smiling. "I'm sure I've got a bottle of bubbly here somewhere..."

"That sounds great, Liz." Mom smiled, and I saw a light in her eyes that I hadn't seen since she lost her last job. Her whole face was glowing - making her look years younger. She'd been permanently worried these past few months, and especially the past week since the fire. I felt a weight I hadn't realized was there being lifted off my own shoulders. She had a job. A job.

"But what took you so long?" I asked, realizing she hadn't explained.

"Well..." Mom looked down at the twins. "Why don't you guys go and watch TV?"

"Okay!" Alice and Asher chirped happily, scampering into the living room. Mom and I followed Elizabeth into the kitchen.

"The thing is," Mom said, taking a deep breath, "my boss, Mr. Coleman, doesn't know I have children."

"What?" I said, confused.

"Why?" Elizabeth asked, looking equally befuddled.

"Well, I went by the firm, Coleman's Solicitors, just to drop off my resume. It's a small private firm, opened quite recently. I wasn't expecting much. I wasn't expecting anything to come of it at all, actually. But the receptionist told me to wait a minute, and said she'd send me through to her boss right away. I was surprised; I mean, I've been chasing dead ends for months now. But it turns out that his old PA left him in the lurch with a big case right around the corner, so he was desperately in need of a PA. Someone who could start immediately. It seemed like fate," Mom told us. "At that time, I still had an hour until school let out for you, Zoe, so I didn't think of calling or texting. I thought I'd be well on my way to you by then. However, the first thing Mr. Coleman said when I introduced myself was that he worked long and unpredictable hours as he was still building his firm up. He said he was looking for someone who didn't have attachments, someone who would essentially be on call 24/7, and could come into work if called in last minute. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of how desperately I needed the job, but I began to think maybe it wouldn't be the right position for me. After all, you kids are my first priority."

"Beggars can't be choosers," I said, and then flushed. "I mean-"

"I know what you mean," Mom said, ruefully. "I can't afford to be picky about what job I do. At first, I wasn't sure what to think of Mr. Coleman as he laid out everything he expected from his PA. But then he continued, saying, in return, he paid a very generous salary, far more generous than his competitors, and he treated his employees well with annual bonuses and extended time off during the holidays. The firm is very respectable, and I could see myself that they treat their employees, even the assistants, well. He pays far more than my old job, so I decided that I couldn't take any risks. We needed the job too much. When he asked about my entanglements and my social life, I said that I didn't have any responsibilities, and the job would be my first priority. I could tell it was exactly what he was looking to hear. Me, saying I was a single Mom with three kids, would not have gotten me the job."

"Surely that's discrimination?" Elizabeth said, in consternation. "He sounds very disagreeable."

"He explained saying that he was trying to make a success of his firm, and he needed a reliable assistant that he could depend on during all hours. I ended up just nodding, smiling, and saying that I understood. I mean, what else could I do? Apart from the hours, this job is perfect. It fits my skill set, and the pay is more than enough to make up for the unpredictable hours."

"So you lied about not having kids?" I asked. I'd been thrilled minutes ago, but now my happiness was slightly dampened. There was no way that this could end well. It would come back to bite us all in the ass.

"I never specifically said that I didn't have children. I never said anything at all about my family. I just said I had no entanglements, and really, what he's worried about is someone saying that they can't work when he needs them last minute. That won't be me. I, we, need this job too much. I'll make it work, and it will never be an issue," Mom said, determination lining her face. "Mr. Coleman seemed very impressed with my credentials. The interview ended up lasting almost an hour, and I wanted to rush out of there and come tell you all the good news. But Mr. Coleman asked that I get started right away, as he was really behind on his caseload. Since I'd just gone on and on about how the job would be my main priority and I had no entanglements to distract me, I couldn't very well make an excuse, could I? I used the bathroom as an excuse to get away for a bit, so I could call you, but by that time, my phone had died."

"Wow," I said, just absorbing it all in.

"I'd never normally mislead an employer, and Zoe, it's never the right thing to do," Mom said, eyebrows furrowed as she straightened the black pencil skirt she wore. "But we need-"

"-the money," I finished. "I understand."

I wasn't angry, just a little worried about this backfiring on her.

"It's still a job, Eve. A good one isn't easy to come by these days. Don't let your little... ah, omission prevent you from feeling happy and proud," Elizabeth said, opening up the champagne with a pop. "You're not the first person in the universe to lie to get a job. You've got the experience and the skill, that's all that should matter."

"I guess, thanks, Liz." Mom gave her a hug. Even though she towered over Elizabeth in her black heels, she still wasn't as tall as me.

"So what will your hours be like? And when do you start?" Elizabeth asked, passing Mom a flute. Normally, I might have tried my luck and asked for a little glass of my own. After the citation however, I could just imagine Mom's reaction.

"I'll be expected there before nine, which is when Mr. Coleman usually comes into the office. I should be finished by six most days. However, it could vary depending on whether he's at court that day, and whether there are any unexpected developments in a case." Mom took a sip of champagne. "I need to take over my social security and other documents tomorrow, and Mr. Coleman will contact my previous employers about a reference in the morning. So my first official day should be the day after."

"Six?" I said. "Every day?"

"Every day," Mom confirmed, looking conflicted. "I don't like it, but I don't know what else to do. I was thinking that I could bus it to work, as it's in the opposite direction. You can take the car, Zoe, and drop the twins off to kindergarten before heading to school yourself. You'll also have to pick them up from here after school, and can maybe wait at the apartment until I get back?"

"I've got some money saved," Elizabeth interjected, as I opened my mouth. "I could buy a car-"

"No," Mom said, shaking her head. "I couldn't let you do that; it would be way too much. I know how you feel about cars."

Elizabeth didn't go out much; she was usually holed up in her study, working feverishly on her next novel. And when she did get out, she usually cycled everywhere. When that wasn't possible, she took the bus, claiming it was more eco-friendly.

Elizabeth frowned. "But-"

"It's fine," I interrupted. "It's not an issue for me. I could pick you up at six, too, Mom?" I said, hoping to erase the deep indent that was forming between her brows.

"That could work," Mom said, looking relieved. A timer went off then, and Elizabeth rushed over to the oven. Whatever was in there smelled amazing. "We've still got a little money left in the bank, but paying for gas is cheaper than paying for bus fare. I'll only be getting paid monthly, so we'll have to make what we have last."

"Do we have enough to tide us over until the end of the month?" I asked, glancing at her.

"We might be a little late on the rent and bills, but I'll get them paid as soon as I get my first wage. It'll work out," Mom said. "I just don't know how I'm going to dress the part to fit in with a swanky law firm to be honest."

"Dinner's ready," Elizabeth said, coming back over.

We let the conversation drop, and settled in to have dinner. I ate, feeling hungry for once. I was glad that Mom was talking to me properly again after the tense weekend, and beyond happy that she had a job. That was the best thing of all.

On Wednesday, I arrived early to my weekly Photography and Digital Arts class thanks to Mom's car, only to receive an email a little while later, saying it had been cancelled.

In front of me, Shannon, a girl in my class who'd also arrived early, groaned, and began packing up her stuff.

Great. What was I going to do now? I could go to Elizabeth's, and pick the twins up early. But the thought held little appeal. I'd been looking forward to this class.

"What a bummer, huh?" Shannon said, swinging her backpack onto her shoulder. "I cut my spa session short to be here. I could have still been there now, getting pampered."

"That sucks," I sympathized, as we exited the photography studio. "At least this gives me time to work on my portfolio some more, I'm not having-""

Someone called my name. Turning around, my heart thudded in my chest as I glimpsed Kane ambling over to me.

Kane. He was here. Looking right at me.

"I'll see you next week," Shannon said, eyes wide as she took in Kane. She blinked, looking a little flustered as she turned back to me. "And good luck with your portfolio. I don't envy you, having to do all that work again."

She waved goodbye, just as Kellan came to a stop right in front of me.

"Hey," he said, looking down at me. I'd almost forgotten how tall he was; I had to crane my neck to look up at him.

"Hi." I shifted my backpack on my shoulder.

"I'm really glad that I caught you. I've been hoping to bump into you."

I raised an eyebrow, meeting his dark eyes. "You could have texted me."

Shit. I hadn't meant to bring that up. Something flashed across his face, regret maybe.

"You're right. I'm so sorry about that," he said, sincerely. "I've just been so busy with work."

"At your uncle's construction company?"

He cleared his throat. "Yeah. I wasn't sure if it was right for me to start something - not when I don't have any time to give."

I bit my lip, hiding a smile. "That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? I might not have texted you back."

He blinked, then rubbed the back of his head, causing his white t-shirt to strain against his mammoth shoulders. I mean, I could understand why the thought might not have occurred to him. He was beautiful, with his sharp jaw, and eyes that sparkled underneath the slant of his eyebrows. His broad shoulders, and bulging arms had a way of making a girl feel... well, like a girl. Small, safe, and protected. I was sure he'd never been turned down by anyone in his life.

"You're right," he admitted, sheepishly. "I hope I haven't come across as a complete jerk. Out of curiosity.... would you have? Texted me back, I mean?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, even as my heart raced a little. "You'll have to text me, and see."

He smiled, a slow rakish upturn of his lips. "Are you free now? Do you want to grab some coffee?"

I looked at the time, affirming that I still had over two hours before I was expected back at Elizabeth's. His eyes followed mine, a crease appearing between his brows.

"Sure."

"Really? Cool. There's a place right around the corner," he said, eyes looking honestly pleased, as though a part of him had expected to be turned down. I was so grateful for the cancelled class now; I'd never have bumped into Kane otherwise.

"Sounds good to me." We began walking.

"So, you're having trouble with your muse?" he asked, glancing at me.

I blinked. "What?"

"Did I hear something back there about you redoing your work?"

"Oh, that." I looked down at my feet as we walked. "It isn't for artistic reasons.... but necessity. My old portfolio... burned."

"Burned?" He looked puzzled.

"In a house fire. Our house. It's why we had to move."

"Oh shit. I'm so sorry about that. I hope everyone was okay?" he asked, looking concerned. Our eyes met, and something warm uncurled in my stomach.

"Yeah, we're all alright, but our belongings? Gone. Including my portfolio." I changed the subject as we entered the coffee shop - it really was just several feet away - inhaling and commenting randomly, "I love the smell of coffee."

He laughed. "You do?"

"Yeah. I mean, I wouldn't be into coffee perfume or anything, but the smell of it in the air? Delicious."

He continued to smile as he gave his order to the barista, before asking me, "What would you like?"

"Vanilla latte, please." I rummaged in the pocket of my jean shorts for some cash. They were the same jeans I'd worn on Friday night; Bella had refused to let me return them.

"I've got it. I invited you to get coffee, remember?" He paid for our drinks. "I meant to ask you about Ronald's party. I heard the cops turned up. I hope you didn't get into any trouble?"

"Ronald? Is that whose house it was? I got dragged there by my friend, Bella, but it was all good. A lot of people got arrested, so I count myself as one of the lucky ones."

"Yeah, I heard about that." He shook his head, as the barista called our order. "A lot of the arrests could have been avoided if they hadn't run. You didn't think about it?"

"No way. I was raised by a cop. I hadn't realised you'd left, though," I said, as we grabbed our drinks and found a table.

"Yeah, I left... well, practically straight after I saw you. The cops were pulling up just as I got on my bike."

"You didn't want to come over and say hello before you left?" I asked, peeking up at him through my lashes.

"You looked a little busy," he said, meeting my eyes directly.

I shook my head. "Nope, not busy at all."

He laughed and sort of exhaled at the same time. "You don't give anything away, do you? Okay, I'll bite. Who was he?"

I had to bite my lip again to hide my smile. It seemed like I was always struggling not to smile around him; he just had that kind of presence.

I shrugged. "An ex."

"Definitely an ex?" he asked, cautiously.

"Definitely." I nodded, empathically. "Too immature, and too stupid for me."

He seemed to like that. He chuckled, bringing his cup to his mouth to hide his own grin. "I'm glad to hear it."

I took a sip, too, my toes almost curling. God, I loved coffee, and hadn't indulged in what felt like forever. "Hmmm."

His eyes fell to my lips as I licked them, before he cleared his throat, and rolled his shoulders. "Have you settled into the apartment, okay? I haven't seen you around."

I'd noticed that his bike hadn't been around the apartment complex, and to think that he'd also observed my lack of presence was gratifying.

"It's been an adjustment, that's for sure," I said, pushing a dark curl, that had fallen into my face, back behind my ear. "Enough about me. Tell me a little bit about you."

He paused, his gaze, which had lingered on my hair, moving back to my face. "What do you want to know?"

"Do you live alone?" I asked, curiously.

He relaxed into his chair. "Yeah. I had a roommate for a bit, but he turned out to be pretty flakey. I realized that I prefered not having to share." He shrugged.

"So you're possessive about your space, huh?" I asked, smiling.

"Not so much my space, but about what's mine. I'm very possessive when it comes to that," he said, unrepentantly.

I wondered if we were still talking about the same thing. "And your family? I know you work for your uncle, so I guess you must be close?"

"Yeah, we're pretty close. We're a tight knit family. My mum's a housewife, but don't ever call her that to her face, and Dad, well, all the men in the family have gone into the same work. Construction, that is. I have a sister, and a niece, Grace. She's five, and loves to be spoiled by all of us."

I smiled; I could tell by the way he spoke that he cared a lot about his family. He asked me about mine, and we jumped from topic to topic, talking about our favourite movies, our likes and dislikes, and things we liked to do in our spare time. We ended up talking for almost two hours, and I jumped when I saw the time.

"I have to go," I said, getting up.

"Do you need a ride?" he asked, also standing up.

I shook my head. "I have a car," I told him, kinda wishing I didn't. I would have loved a ride on his bike.

"Oh, okay, well, when can I see you again?" he asked, as I picked up my bag and mentally calculated how long it would take me to get to Elizabeth's. I didn't want to be late, and risk Mom questioning me, not on the first day she trusted me with her car.

"See me again?" I repeated, blankly.

He smiled cautiously. "Yeah. I mean, if you want to. There's this new Italian place that's just opened up, and I was wondering if you'd like to go to dinner with me sometime?"

"I'd love to," I said, beaming.

"Great. I'll text you." He grinned back. "And I will text you."

He walked me back to the car, and I was still smiling twenty minutes later as I pulled up outside of Elizabeth's.

A/N:

Hope you like this chapter, it's the longest one yet. Please don't forget to comment, vote, and share if you'd like to read more of this story!

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

My Childhood Bully Pretty Artist

Любовные романы

287 55 34
Right from the start, Evan hated Damien like his enemy during middle school and always avoided him at all cost. Evan is a teenage boy of seventeen ye...
Not a Monster I'm immature

Про оборотней

151K 6.1K 36
"I asked you a question, and you're going to answer it." Hmm. To answer or not to answer. "Geez my name's Carter and can you let go, you're hurting m...
98.2K 1.8K 35
Zoey just moved into her new house, little did she know that her life was going to change right before her very eyes when she meets the boy next door.
My True First [18+] Alwyn Knighton

Любовные романы

1M 48.1K 77
At the age of twenty, Liam Dupont has too much on his plate. After the death of his parents, he becomes the guardian of his little brother and moves...