Winter Is Coming

Від daenerys_stark

"You deserve a Lord, not a bastard." Jon's voice was raspy and made his sleep deprivation and exhaustion appa... Більше

~Prologue | The Beginning~
~Eddard | The Bastard~
~Rayne | The Sick~
~Jon | The Marksman~
~Jon | The Deserter~
~Rayne | The King of the Seven Kingdoms~
~Rayne | The Prince~
~Eddard | The Proposal~
~Rayne | The Enthralled~
~Jon | The Feast~
~Rayne | The First of Many Mistakes~
~Robb | The Lapse~
~Rayne | The Girl, The Wolf, and the Boy~
~Jon | The Inconsolible~
~Rayne | The Valediction ~

~Jon | The Loathed~

9.9K 222 14
Від daenerys_stark

-Age 12-

"Why are you mad at me this time, Rayne?" The boy with the jet black raven coloured curls asked the girl that stomped away angrily.

She didn't want to even look at him. The fight was so miniscule and silly but she saw it as something more. She furiously stormed away and flinched in surprise when his hands wrapped around her thin wrist and pulled her to face him.

"Why are you angry? What'd I do to upset you." He inquired, all the while staring down into her deep brown eyes.

"Let go of me." She spat whilst trying to twist her wrist out of his grasp.

"Not until you tell me why you are so upset."

Rayne rolled her eyes and sighed, finally giving up the fight. The once cold wind died down right when she was about to speak, as if it was patiently waiting for what she had to say.

"You piss me off so much, Jon Snow." biting her lip, Rayne took a step closer to Jon.

Jon's face fell into a look of guilt as he processed what she was saying. "What do you mean?"

Jon may have seemed dim at this moment but he stood genuinely confused as to what the girl was speaking about.

"What I mean is that you annoy me by hating yourself."

At this point his eyebrows furrowed into a look that matched his frown.

"I'm not sure what you mean by that." he muttered softly while gently letting go of her wrist.

"Yeah." she murmured. "Yeah you do. You've sat here in Winterfell hating yourself from day one just because you aren't Catelyn's son."

"I don't hate myself it's her that hates me and-"

"Bullshit." Rayne's anger had finally boiled over and forced Jon to have a look of incredulity. "You hate yourself because you aren't Catelyn's son and because you're afraid of what people think of you. You're so wrapped up in your own head that you create these stupid scenarios where everyone hates you just because you are a bastard!"

Jon backed up slightly at Rayne's raised voice. He had never heard her call him his label before and, after she did, he wasn't so sure that he liked it coming from her lips.

Rayne noticed his increased distance and his face fall. "Why do you do this to yourself? It's only going to upset you."

"I'm not and will never be a Stark. I won't ever be seen in the eyes of the people as Ned Stark's legitimate son. That's why it bothers me so much. I'm just a mistake."

"Why do you care so much about titles? He still loves you unconditionally, just as much as Robb." Rayne's eyes started tearing up from so much anger and frustration.

"I've just always wanted a father and mother to care for me. You wouldn't understand."

"I understand more than anyone else, Jon." he immediately felt guilty after she said that.

Memories of Rayne coming into his chambers at ungodly hours of the night when they were younger flooded his thoughts. He could vividly remember her tear stained face after the nightmares she had and he felt flattered that she trusted him with every single one.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring that up." he looked to the ground shamefully.

"Well you did." Rayne spat before storming off all over again.

These situations would happen more often than not. Rayne and Jon would get into a fight and he'd end up saying something ridiculous and she would proceed to stomp off in aggravation. In a few days, they'd realise that they miss one another and forgive and try to forget.

This spat however, lasted two whole weeks. As difficult as it was, Rayne stayed angry at Jon and refused any sort of contact. It was especially difficult for Arya and the rest of the Starks since they were all very close friends, but Rayne wouldn't be caught dead in so much as the same room as Jon Snow. Arya, at the age of merely 6, didn't understand why she couldn't be with both of them at the same time.

They remained pining for one another and confided in their close friends. Jon solely relied on Robb and Theon's advice while Rayne had only Lord Eddard Stark. Sometimes Rayne would speak with the older boys as well until she got annoyed with their teasing about her and Jon.

During the first week, Jon mostly kept to himself so he could attempt to process everything. Thoughts of sadness and regret raced through his mind as he thought of the girl that he had grown so fond of over the years.

His bond with her was like no other, being the two people in Winterfell who had the closest relationship. This statement was still true even in regards to Catelyn and Ned. The couples were close to each other more so than anyone else, but Jon and Rayne had more reasons to be close.

Jon was the bastard of the North. Renowned and kindhearted, he was the most despised by Lady Catelyn. Rayne was the Lord of Winterfell's ward. Arguably one of the most desirable young ladies in the North, people found it exceedingly hard to take their eyes off of such a young beauty. Many have said that Rayne resembled Lyanna Stark, Lord Stark's sister. With her dark hair along with her medium colored skin and facial structure. The physical appearance only slightly resembled Lyanna, but it was enough for people to take notice. Rayne's fiery attitude made her more like Lyanna than anything else. Undoubtedly, if she had been born with the Stark blood, she would be able to form any alliance through marriage.

The two went together well, although Rayne denied it whenever she was mad at him. They bonded over their likeness in being out of the real blood of the family and they became nearly inseparable. Theon could never have bonded as much as they did since one small factor of compassion had been missing. Theon, with his blue eyes and curly light hair, had the attitude of a true Iron Born. He was more ignorant in a way that none of the other children could ever be.

The whole predicament of the fight had brought Jon to Robb, him pouring out his frustrations while Robb listened all the while somewhat disinterested.

"She's way too stubborn for her own good." Jon grunted while blocking Robb's sword.

"Most women are. Have you tried apologizing?" Robb chuckled at the distant look in his brother's eyes.

"Not Rayne. She's a different kind of stubborn. It's more of a condescending kind, really. And of course I have tried but it's not like she'll actually listen to what I have to say."

Robb's smile widened and he threw his head back in a loud fit of laughter. "Don't let her hear you say that. Isn't her stubbornness what you love the most about her?"

"It's so aggravating. She's aggravating." Jon lunged his wooden sword at Robb, sticking him in the side.

"Aye, she is. However, you're still in love with her." Robb taunted while dropping his staff to the frozen ground.

"Am not!" Jon yelled in annoyance.

The two went back and forth with their opinions on the matter until Jon chased after Robb and they ran through the castle after each other. Amongst all other things, they were still children who were overly worried about such subject matters. The two boys loved too fast and they fell too hard and perhaps those traits will lead to their own demise.

As thrilling as running through the stony hallways of Winterfell was, the happiness in Jon's face left when the two boys turned a corner and laid their eyes on Lady Rayne and the young Lady Sansa.

When Sansa saw the two she squealed in happiness. She was a small babe so full of love and joy and it was her typical reaction to seeing anyone that she liked.

Rayne, on the other hand, sighed deeply and glared at Jon. Her eyes held a devilish glare and her mouth was set in a grimace and if looks could kill, Jon would be buried somewhere deep in the ground.

Robb noticeably felt the tension. Instead of relieving it somehow he instead picked up Sansa and took her to the godswood to relay the old stories about the Gods, leaving Jon and Rayne alone.

Jon's eyes reverted to the floor and he seemingly refused eye contact while Rayne stared at him. Secretly missing him she convinced herself to not be as harsh on him. Afterall, this entire fight started because she cared about him too much to see and hear him dislike himself.

"Are you going to speak or continue staring at the tiles?" Rayne moved a bit closer to him so she could see his face and every single emotion clearly.

"I wasn't so sure you wanted me to." Jon said quietly.

"Of course I do, Jon. I miss you a lot and not being able to confide in you has been killing me. You do realise that these two weeks have been the longest we've been apart our entire lives since we met?"

The boy's head lifted up and he finally made eye contact with the girl. He noticed her facial features had changed. Her once bright eyes were more dull and sleep deprived and it was transparently noticeable.

"I'm sorry Rayne. I really am. And I've missed you more than I can say."

With Jon knowing that they were both missing each other gave him enough confidence to walk forward and envelope the small girl in a hug.

"I just really need you to stop hating who you are, Jon Snow. The rest of the world will not, but you can."

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

213K 7.3K 26
"Prince Oberyn." "I see my reputation precedes me." "Well, I would be a fool not to recognize the man who has fucked half of Westeros." "A fool you a...
4.3K 137 9
'Oh Lord, Oh Lord, what have I done? I've fallen in love with a man on the run Oh Lord, Oh Lord, I'm begging you please Don't take that sinner from m...
566K 14.1K 94
"Be honourable", I plead as his lips hover dangerously close to mine "But you aren't an honourable man are you Jaime Lannister?" I dare to ask knowin...
12.5K 353 21
'A good king must be just... Orys the first was just. Everyone applauded his reforms, nobles and commoners alike. But he wasn't just for long, he was...