Distinctly Different

Miss_Ever_After

In the Kingdom of Amstia werewolves plague the towns and villages. Of all the six kinds of werewolves the whi... Еще

Chapter 1 ~ Wolves
Chapter 2 ~ Tragedy
Chapter 3 ~ King's Announcement
Chapter 4 ~ The Letter
Chapter 5 ~ The Hunters
Chapter 6 ~ Problems
Chapter 7 ~ The Hunt
Chapter 8 ~ The Inquiry
Chapter 9 ~ Lies
Chapter 10 ~ Surprise
Chapter 12 ~ Detour
Chapter 13 ~ The Meeting
Chapter 14 ~ Tournament
Chapter 15 ~ Help
Chapter 16 ~ Capture
Chapter 17 ~ Escape
Chapter 18 ~ Warning
Chapter 19 ~ The Unexpected
Chapter 20 ~ Masquerade
Chapter 21 ~ Side Effects
Chapter 22 ~ Realization
Chapter 23 ~ New Perspective
Chapter 24 ~ Threats
Chapter 25 ~ False Security
Chapter 26 ~ Exposed
Chapter 27 ~ Torn
Chapter 28 ~ Preparations
Chapter 29 ~ Defiant
Chapter 30 ~ Assistance
Chapter 31 ~ Luck
Chapter 32 ~ Execution
Chapter 33 ~ Waiting
Epilogue
Distinctly Different Update ~ Sequel

Chapter 11 ~ Introductions

1.7K 40 2
Miss_Ever_After

Chapter 11

Arabella had tossed and turned all last night unable to stop worrying about what her mother was doing. Her mother cared about her own safety above all else. Arabella couldn’t imagine what possessed her to return to a place where hunters were looking for werewolves. Deep down a small part of Arabella hoped that her mother was here because she missed her but she knew better than that. Her mother wouldn’t have just left Arabella behind if she cared that much about her.

She rubbed her aching neck as she made her way to the throne room. It was time to serve breakfast to the royal family. Arabella had woken up just in time. Eleanor would likely forgive Arabella for accidently sleeping in but the King would not. He would take her position as a servant away. She snuck into the throne room and avoided Eleanor’s questioning gaze as she made her way to her spot. No one but Eleanor seemed to know anything was wrong, she thought for a moment before her gaze settled on Rowan.

She froze as she met his eyes and realized he suspected something was up. She didn’t look away though. The best approach was to act as if she wasn’t worried about a thing. After all, she was innocent of being a werewolf. Her mother was here, so she would back up Arabella’s claims. Had her mother been interrogated yet? What if her mother said something wrong, something that didn’t support Arabella’s story? Arabella felt sick with worry.

She dug her fingernails into her palms and forced herself to think of some clue that everything hadn’t gone wrong for her. She sighed as she realized that she wouldn’t be here if they thought she was a werewolf. They would have already arrested her and she would have been locked up. That calmed her down and she was able to go on acting normal.

As soon as breakfast was finished Eleanor rose elegantly and left the throne room. Arabella followed after her wondering if she had wrongly predicted Eleanor’s reaction to her sleeping in. Maybe she was mad that Arabella hadn’t been there to help in the morning. Once they were out of sight of everyone leaving the throne room Eleanor spun around and grabbed Arabella’s wrist. Arabella didn’t pull her arm away.

“That was close,” Eleanor hissed quietly her eyes darting around to see if anyone was listening. Arabella sighed. So she wasn’t mad at her. “If you would have been a moment later there would have been repercussions.” Arabella couldn’t stop a small smile from showing on her lips. “I don’t think you get how close that was,” Eleanor whispered sternly. She dropped Arabella’s wrist and spun on her heel with the intent of getting away from her. Arabella stared after her for a moment in disbelief before running to catch up.

“It’s fine,” Arabella said. “I wasn’t late to serve breakfast. I’m sorry I wasn’t there in the morning.” Eleanor huffed and waved her hand dismissively. Moments later she turned to Arabella.

“I’m not mad. I understand you had a busy night yesterday. Although please try and make sure that never comes close to happening again. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“I think you would manage,” Arabella laughed. Eleanor rolled her eyes.

“Oh trust me, I wouldn’t,” she replied. “To think that I would have to get to know a new servant makes me shudder.” Eleanor winked mischievously. “You already know me well. You’re accustomed to my antics and my schemes. A new servant would be clueless.” Eleanor pressed her lips together tightly, fighting a smile.

“Oh yes, how horrible for you,” Arabella said sympathetically. “I would have no job and no money but that is nowhere near as bad as you getting a new servant.” Eleanor nodded.

“I’m glad you understand,” she laughed. “Now when we get back to my room you must tell me what kept you up last night.” Eleanor headed to her room as Arabella dropped her gaze.

“Oh that’s was nothing. I couldn’t sleep,” she mumbled. Eleanor tilted her head pausing in front of her room with her hand pressed on the door. Eleanor raised an eyebrow when Arabella didn’t say anything more.

“You couldn’t sleep, at all?” Arabella shook her head wondering where Eleanor was going with this. “Then why didn’t you realize it was morning if you were supposedly awake all night?” Arabella rolled her eyes and pushed open the door seeing that Eleanor wasn’t going to do so anytime soon. “I mean, being awake all night would mean you weren’t sleeping when the time came to visit my room in the morning,” Eleanor called after her before she too entered the room.

“When I finally did fall asleep I was too tired to wake up at the usual time,” Arabella responded. Eleanor nodded her head. “What?” Arabella asked as Eleanor gestured with a hand for her to go on.

“Well tell me what happened before you fell asleep.”

“I was awake,” Arabella retorted, “in bed. Eleanor’s eyes narrowed.

“Ha, so funny, I meant before you went to your room.” Arabella shrugged.

“Nothing happened. Honestly.”

Eleanor groaned and sat on her bed. “I don’t believe you. Tell me,” she ordered, “or else.”

“Or else what?” Arabella inquired in a dry tone.

“Or else you won’t be my servant anymore. I shall simply have to find someone else, someone better.”

“Oh really, weren’t you just complaining about if you were to get a new servant?” She asked Eleanor. Eleanor shook her head demurely. Arabella gave her a look. “I think you were going on about how the servant wouldn’t know you like I do? Not to mention they probably wouldn’t cover for you as good as I can, that is, if they actually would cover for you. What if you get a servant who would report everything you did to the King? I doubt you would like that? Face it; you would never take away my job.” Eleanor sighed.

“Can you tell me?” she pleaded. “I have to know. Nothing fun has been happening around me recently. I’m dying for some interesting information. The hunters have long gotten boring.”

“Fine,” Arabella exclaimed. Eleanor smiled, very satisfied at the outcome of her persistence. “If you must know my mother visited me yesterday.” As Arabella predicted Eleanor’s eyes widened and she sat up straighter, she was now even more curious.

“She’s here? Or did she return to her town?” Eleanor asked. “Why was she here? Do you think I could meet her? What’s she like? Oh I hope I get chance to meet her. I have been wanting to for a long time but she never visits here. She’s probably here for an important reason? What is it?”

Eleanor took a deep breath as she finished talking a mile a minute. Arabella had known she was going to react like this. It was amusing that Eleanor was happier that her mother was here than Arabella was. Arabella exhaled slowly taking the time to think before replying to Eleanor’s many questions.

“Okay let’s see. Yes, my mother is here, she did not return to Ellegoria,” Arabella started answering counting on her fingers as she replied to each question. “She’s here to visit the castle physician and to visit me I think. You might just get a chance to talk to her and the reason why she’s here is because she was feeling sick,” Arabella finished.

“Wait a moment,” Eleanor began accusingly. “You didn’t answer one of those questions.” Arabella frowned as she tried to think back. “You didn’t tell me what she’s like. I have asked you that many times but you always just expertly change the subject.”

“Oh? I thought I told you,” Arabella replied. There was a reason she didn’t want Eleanor to know about her mom. First of all she was not a very easygoing person and she would likely hate Eleanor. There was no good way to really explain her mother that you make her sound good. Second of all she didn’t think her mother and Eleanor would ever even be in the same place. She didn’t exactly want to subject Eleanor to the person that was her mother.”

“No. You didn’t. You’re going to tell me today though,” she ordered. “I just have to know. I’m dying to know about your mother, to know about the person who raised you since you never knew your father.” It was true; Arabella’s father had never been in the picture. Whenever she had asked about him she had received vague comments from her mother and before she knew it the topic was changed. It was not unlike how Arabella treated Eleanor’s questions about her mother. “I really want to know a bit more about you. Sometimes I feel that I don’t know much about you at all,” Eleanor said sadly.

“Well,” Arabella said and Eleanor looked up startled. She had been so caught up in her thoughts that she had forgotten she wasn’t alone. “She’s very independent. She’s never scared of anything.”

“That must be great,” Eleanor sighed. “I bet she has believed in you and helped you all your life.” Arabella smiled but she knew it didn’t fully reach her eyes. “You’re so lucky you have your mother to love you,” Eleanor whispered. Arabella looked up startled. Eleanor’s eyes were stormy and Arabella felt the need to do something. She stood up abruptly and pulled Eleanor to her feet.

“Let’s go find my mother. You did say you wanted to meet her,” Arabella suggested. Eleanor smiled timidly and nodded. Arabella paused. “I don’t actually know where she is,” she admitted. “She told me she’d find me today but didn’t tell me anything.”

“Well how about we go walk around and see if we can find her?” Eleanor asked. Arabella thought about it for a moment then shrugged.

“Sure, why not.”

As the walked though the castle hallways they kept an eye out for her mother, even though Eleanor didn’t really know what she looked like. They didn’t find her though. They even stopped by the physician’s tower but Alistair wasn’t there to talk to. When they got outside Arabella was annoyed. She had no clue how they were going to find her mother. She could be anywhere; she could even have left already.

Arabella decided to head to the market. They likely wouldn’t find her mother but at least they could get something to eat. When they got to the market Arabella stopped near one vendor and Eleanor frowned.

“I thought we were looking for your mother.” Arabella nodded as she browsed the vendor’s wares. “So then why are we at the market?”

“I’m hungry. Who knows when we are going to find my mother? Wouldn’t it be better to have something to eat?” Eleanor rolled her but took an apple and paid the vendor. Arabella picked a pear and then starting looking for money.

“It’s fine. I got it,” Eleanor said handing the vendor some more coins. Arabella started to protest but Eleanor shook her head. Arabella smiled.

“Thank you, my Lady,” Arabella replied. Eleanor laughed after biting into her shiny red apple.

“You don’t have to pay me back, really,” Eleanor said. “I know you don’t like excepting other peoples charity but I have enough money. Paying for a pear isn’t going to affect me at all.” Arabella nodded silently but was already thinking of ways to repay Eleanor when she spotted her mother amongst the crowd. She waved catching her attention then grabbed Eleanor’s wrist and guided her though the crowd to her mother.

“My Lady, I’d like you to meet my mother. Mother, this is Lady Eleanor,” Arabella introduced. Arabella saw Eleanor’s eyes widened in excitement as she took in the woman before her. Her mother smiled and then they all moved away to a more secluded spot away from the crowd.

“It is so nice to meet you,” Eleanor said warmly. “I have wanted to meet you for so long.”

“Likewise. You may call me Lucinda,” Arabella’s mother replied politely. She seemed nice and normal but when Eleanor wasn’t paying attention she gave Arabella significant look that Arabella couldn’t decipher. The look she had been given could mean many things.

“Are you feeling okay?” Eleanor inquired. Lucinda met Arabella’s eyes before answering.

“Of course, your castle’s physician works wonders,” Lucinda answered.

“That’s good,” Arabella cut in. she would have to be careful that Eleanor didn’t discover anything that she wasn’t supposed to know.

“So are you staying here for long?” Eleanor asked Lucinda. Arabella’s mother nodded.

“Yes, I don’t see my daughter often so I might as well stay here a bit. There is something weird going on in my town so it’s safer here anyways.” Eleanor was about to speak when Arabella interrupted. She had a bad feeling about this. She needed to stop this conversation sooner rather than later.

“My Lady perhaps we should be getting back. You and I both have things we need to see to,” Arabella gently reminded Eleanor. Eleanor rolled her eyes and waved a hand dismissively.

“Those things can wait. I don’t have to see to them right now. I’d like to talk to Lucinda.” Arabella stared at Eleanor then glanced at her mother who shrugged.

“I have nothing better to do,” her mother said. “It’d be nice to have some company,” she told Eleanor who smiled probably feeling flattered. Her mother met Arabella’s eyes and the look in her eyes dared her to say something to try and stop the conversation again. Arabella frowned realizing there was no way Eleanor was going to leave now. “By all means go, Arabella. If you have things to do I wouldn’t want to get in your way,” her mother said kindly.

Arabella glared at her mother as Eleanor nodded siding with her mother. She stared at them as they smiled at her and then walked away chatting amiably. She could follow them but even as that thought passed through her head her mother looked over her shoulder making Arabella disregard that plan. Her mother would know if Arabella followed them. For some reason she didn’t want her to follow them. Was this proof that her mother was up to something? Should she say something? No, that would only make her look like a fool. Her mother wouldn’t try anything at the moment but Arabella would have to be wary.

Arabella spun on her heel and started walking back to the castle. She had to know if Alistair knew anything about her mother. When she got to the castle courtyard Alexander appeared at her side. She smiled at him.

“What are you doing?” He asked. He was dressed in normal clothes once again not on duty. Arabella shrugged.

“I’m just going to see Alistair. I need to talk to him.”

“What do you need to talk to him about?” Alexander asked curiously.

“Just things,” she told him vaguely. Alexander smirked in response. She rolled her eyes and paused. She raised an eyebrow and he chuckled. Alexander pushed a piece of hair in face to behind her ear before speaking.

“Well there are rumours going around that your mother is here.” He grinned. “I don’t suppose that they are true are they?” Arabella sighed.

“Oh so they are true,” he guessed. “Now why wouldn’t you tell me that?”

“Maybe I didn’t tell you because I wouldn’t want my mother to have to put up with you,” Arabella teased. Alexander inhaled quickly and raised a hand to his heart.

“That hurts. I thought I was liked by everyone. Now that I know that’s not true, I’m crushed.” Arabella laughed and Alexander was unable to keep acting sad. He smiled and crossed his arms.

“Yeah it must be a big blow huh,” she said unsympathetically. “I know you thought you’re amazing, but truthfully no one is half as amazing as you believe yourself to be,” she told him. She touched his shoulder comfortingly before she was unable to hold back the laugh trying to escape her lips. His eyes narrowed as he brushed her hand away.

“Actually, I don’t believe myself to be so amazing. I know I’m that amazing. I can’t help it if people can’t handle me and hate me because of it,” he joked. He stepped towards her and she got lost in his green eyes. “Now why did you really not tell me that your mother was back?” She blinked a few times then shook her head to clear it.

Arabella shrugged. “I didn’t think you would care.” Alexander scowled. “Why does everyone care so much that my mother is here? It’s not a big deal.” Alexander frowned.

“Why? Aren’t you happy she’s here?” he asked. “Did something happen between the two of you? What happened, Arabella?” Arabella shook her head.

“It’s not that. I’m happy she’s here but I think she’s up to something,” Arabella admitted, her voice dropping to a whisper near the end. It was so soft that Alexander had to lean in and strain to hear her.

“What do you mean?” He asked confused. Arabella looked up into his eyes and then took a step back distancing herself from him.

“It’s nothing. I’m just imagining things. She’ll probably be returning to Ellegoria soon anyways.” Alexander regarded her unhappily but he said nothing more. “I need to go see Alistair,” Arabella forced herself to say. She didn’t want to go, she wanted to tell Alexander everything but that could never happen. She could just imagine the look of disgust on his face as he pushed her away just before calling for guards to grab her. No, he could never find out about her. With a small smile she was gone.

She didn’t stop again until she was at the physician’s tower. She burst into the room and closed the door behind her before leaning heavily on it. Alistair turned towards her.

“So you didn’t leave,” he said. Arabella shook her head.

“Rowan caught up to me before I could leave. I thought I was going to be caught,” she replied breathlessly.

“But you weren’t,” Alistair reassured her. “So they must not suspect you.” She shook her head again. Alistair frowned and gestured for her to take a seat. Arabella walked towards him and took a seat on the wooden stool near him.

“I’m not sure. I think Rowan doesn’t exactly trust me. I think he suspects something is up, he just doesn’t know what.” Alistair nodded absorbing the information. “I think he was going to take me to talk to his father but my mother showed up,” she said slowly, watching carefully for Alistair’s reaction. He didn’t look surprised. “You knew she was here?”

Alistair nodded. “Yes.”

“How long did you know she was here?” Arabella inquired suspiciously. “You knew she was here and you didn’t tell me?” she accused him. Alistair shook his head surprised at the direction the conversation had turned.

“I didn’t know she was here. I would have told you had I known,” he said quietly. “She visited me last night claiming that she had told the hunter that she was here because she was sick.”

“Do you know the real reason she’s here? I seriously doubt that she’s here to see me,” Arabella muttered. Alistair shook his head and Arabella’s hopes fell. She was hoping Alistair knew something significant.

“I don’t, I’m sorry, Arabella,” Alistair said sadly. “I asked her last night but she evaded the question and changed the subject.”

“Did she say anything important?” she asked. Alistair thought about it for a bit.

“No I’m afraid not. She did say she was going to hang around for some time. Although not here. She said that even though she has been in the citadel for a short time she is already agitated and she wants to leave,” he responded. “I know you don’t believe you are not the reason she’s back but I think that’s a part of why she’s here. She may have other reasons but it also has to do partly with you.”

“No, I don’t think that’s it,” Arabella argued dismissing Alistair’s theory.

“Have you tried talking to her, alone?” Arabella merely look at him. “I think you should ask her what she’s doing back. She might tell you things because you’re her daughter. She could tell you things she didn’t want to tell me.” Arabella stood up abruptly.

“Actually, that’s a good idea. I’ll go talk to her right now,” she told him. Alistair laughed as she ran out of the room. As she hurried though the castle she spotted Eleanor’s blond hair weaving through a crowd but Arabella didn’t stop to talk to her.

When she got outside she noticed it had started raining. The sky was dark and gloomy and fat droplets of water fell down on people. She quickly past hooded figures that were rushing to get inside and was soon in the part of the lower town where she had seen her mother heading with Eleanor. She just had a feeling her mother was around there. A feeling that was soon confirmed when her mother beckoned to her.

“If you’re here to ask me what I’m doing here then you can just forget it,” her mother said coldly. Arabella gaped at her mother as she frantically thought of something to say.

“I know you’re not just here to see me,” Arabella said. “You’re up to something and I demand to know what.” Her mother laughed harshly.

“Oh you demand, do you?” Her mother questioned. “I don’t have to explain myself to my daughter. I’m the parent, I don’t answer to you. I’m not up to anything,” he mother said. Arabella gave her a sceptical look and crossed her arms letting her mother know she wasn’t buying it. Her mother glowered at her. “Even if I was why would I tell you? You would run off and tell your horrible human friends,” her mother said in disgust. “You could have been so much more than a servant if only you would have come with me when I left. Instead you stayed and now you clean and sew for a living.” With one last look her mother took off leaving Arabella standing in the rain.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

934K 30.8K 42
Highest ranking - #1 in Werewolf #2 in Attraction "Damn Bella, why the hell are you so stubborn?! You are my mate and if I want to mark you, I will f...
Wanted: VAMPIRE QUEEN CocoNellz

Подростковая литература

178 1 17
I DO NOT OWN THE PICTURE, THE MEDIA OR THE CAUSE OF YOU NOT READING THE MATURE CONTENT WARNING. MATURE CONTENT IN THIS STORY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. ...
Fates Align smurfyphantom06

Про оборотней

225K 11.6K 32
---BOOK ONE--- COMPLETE "Do you know, how incredibly sexy you are my beast, now come back to me." She said seductively biting her bottom lip. I g...
1.2M 10.5K 9
Everyone thought that the moon goddess had it all. Every wolf looked up to her, and everyone loved her. What happens when that's not true and she has...