The Dark Warlock: The Nox Hav...

Από RowenaBlack

Destiny. It was a funny thing. I had always thought that I could create my own destiny. But after attending... Περισσότερα

NEW BOOK: OUT NOW
Prologue: The Dark Warlock
Chapter 1: Building A New Beginning
Chapter 2: The Broken Necklace
Chapter 3: Two Hundred
Chapter 4: Déjà Vu
Chapter 6: Death By Corset
Chapter 7: Ex King, Future Gang Leader
Chapter 8: We Meet Again
Chapter 9: I'll lie, You Spy
Chapter 10: Broken Toy
Chapter 11: Divided Front
Chapter 12: Born This Way
Chapter 13: Vampire Bites
Chapter 14: Betrayed
Chapter 15: Party Like it's 1816
Chapter 16: The Black Magic Scare
Chapter 17: Dancing With The Devil
Chapter 18: Alix!
Chapter 19: We Shall See
Chapter 20: Happy Endings
Chapter 21: The Truth
Chapter 22: The Celestial Sisters
Chapter 23: Love is Blind
Chapter 24: Time Will Tell
Chapter 25: Game On
Chapter 26: Celestial Day Part 1
Chapter 27: Celestial Day Part 2
Chapter 28: Eyes In The Shadows
Chapter 29: Monsters Kill Monsters
Chapter 30: Good Luck
Chapter 31: My Destiny
Epilogue
Celestial Sisters is Out!!

Chapter 5: Operation: Save The World

18.4K 1.2K 75
Από RowenaBlack

Aleksander's POV:

Alix and Jaxon Slade were the most annoying people I had ever met.

One moment they hated each other and the next they were thicker than thieves. It was absolutely aggravating and all too familiar.

Dmitri and I were like that when we were growing up. That was before either one of us had even thought about High School, girls, and evil psychos. We spent most of our time wrestling or racing one another in the gardens of Volkov castle. He always cheated, but that didn't stop me from winning. Our arguments usually consisted of petty things like who would get the last slice of cake or who had more Christmas presents. But as we grew older the arguments gradually became more aggressive and frequent. There became a point when Dmitri couldn't even stand to be in the same room as me. My arrogance turned me into somebody that he didn't recognize.

By the time we were thirteen he had effectively replaced me with Cameron Ross. I had always hated Cameron- he had a knack for taking things that were mine. First it was toys, then it was my brother. I was shocked to learn that he had even stolen my intended soul mate when I arrived back at Nox Haven. There were more than a few girls who were happy to inform me how close Cameron and Caddie were.

I couldn't blame Caddie and my brother for being drawn to him though. As kids our parents would always describe him as a rambunctious scamp. He was fun-loving and unbound by the laws of social hierarchy. I was the exact opposite and that often created problems for me.

"Come on Aleksander, you never do anything fun anymore," Dmitri whined.

We were standing in the middle of my favorite hallway. Windows lined both walls, the sun rays sparkled on the glass. On one side was the conservatory, it was filled with vegetation from around the world. Sporadic colors of pink and red would appear in the sea of green. The other window wall looked out on my mother's rose garden. I lived in the castle my entire life, but the that hallway would always be my favorite. The plants were the only things that never changed. They were beautiful when they were in full bloom but then there would be times when they wilted and died. Once that happened, mother would find new flowers and I would be graced with a small change in my never-ending life of consistency.

Dmitri had been following me around that day. He was practically begging for me to play with him and Cameron. I couldn't say yes, even if I wanted too. My father had forbid me from leaving the castle grounds. At first, I admit, I didn't listen to him. But after lecture upon lecture my resolve had weakened. I was tired of disappointing him. Giving up a bit of fun was worth it as long as my parents fears were alleviated, right? 

"I just don't want to go. I have work to do." I told him.

Shoving my hands in the pockets of my trousers, I bowed my head and tried to ignore Dmitri's pleas. Sometimes it hurt when he called me mean and boring. I didn't intend to be boring. Everyone else was able to have fun- but I wasn't like everyone else and never would be. Dmitri just didn't understand that.

"Let's go Dmitri," Cam said. He was leaning against one of the windows, a bored look on his face. "We both new he would never agree."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I stopped in my tracks and glared at him.

I shouldn't have let his comment bother me. I was a prince after all, but Cameron had a special talent for getting under my skin. Everybody said he was a nice kid, and maybe that was true, but we were too different to get along.

"Let's be real, Volkov," I tensed at the informality, "You're just not fun. Everybody knows that, but it doesn't matter because of that power you have. You don't have to be fun and yet everyone will still like you." It's sick. He didn't say that last part but I knew he wanted to.

"Whatever," I muttered and walked away.

That comment never felt like a whatever to me. Even thinking about it pained me because I knew it was true. People liked hanging around me because I made them. Especially as a kid, I didn't have a lot of control on my power so if I wished for somebody to like me they wouldn't have much of choice. The girl from my dreams- Caddie- was the only person who befriended without any influence. She was perfect for me even then as a kid.

I went to hug her closer to my body, when I noticed Caddie was no longer in my arms. She was knocking on the door. The floorboards creaked as someone made their way over to the door. An array of clicks sounded as a somebody unlocked the door and pushed it open.

A small smile wormed its way onto my face as I stared into the eyes of the very old version of Kimone. The HeadMinister was a hunched woman, with silver tufts of hair barely covering her head. Her face was heavily creased beyond recognition but her eyes held the same power as Kimone. She was a lady they demanded respect. It didn't matter if she looked senile.

"Who are you?" She asked. Her voice was weary, probably worn out from yelling at people over the years.

"I'm Caddie Böse," Caddie said, hoping that it would spark some recognition for the HeadMinister. When she realized that the last name Böse meant nothing to her she continued on, "And these are my friends, Alix and Jaxon Slade, and Aleksander Volkov."

My last name did get a reaction. The woman narrowed her eyes, and lifted a shaking hand in the air. She gestured for me to bend forward. I did, and regretted it when she twisted my ear to get a better look. Pain spread throughout my ear, I had been in much worse situations but for being such an old woman she had a tight grip. It surprised me.

She released my ear but kept her eyes trained on mine. She didn't look hostile anymore, just curious.

"I didn't know that Adeline Volkov had a brother."

"She doesn't," I said gruffly, "I'm her great-great-great-great grandson." I might have been missing one great or two.

The HeadMinister pursed her lips and looked behind us, trying to see if anyone prying ears were listening to our conversation. To my complete astonishment, she was a bit surprised but there was only a small sneaking suspicion of doubt in her mind.

"Come with me," she beckoned for us to follow her.

The HeadMinister's office hadn't changed since I saw it last- except for the mess. The large mahogany desk, and bookshelves were still in the same spot but they were covered in papers and books. The floor was also covered with scattered mounds of paper and teetering stacks of books. Not even the Magicry had as much reading material as her office.

In the back corner of the room sat a bubbling cauldron. Cauldrons still existed in the future but they was seldom used. Most witches preferred to brew potions in cast iron pots- they weren't as bulky or hard to clean as most cauldrons. I also noticed that the HeadMinister had a crystal ball in the middle of her desk, instead of a computer. I had never used a crystal ball before but my mother considered them the bane of all existence. Any time Dmitri and I would complain about poor cellphone connection she told us to shut up and be thankful crystal balls weren't in fashion anymore.

"What is that smell?" I whispered to Caddie once the door shut behind us, closing off all supplies of fresh air.

Caddie wrinkled her button nose. It would have been adorable if I didn't have the urge to puke. "I believe that is the sweet smell of cat urine."

Great, we were stuck in a time where Febreze didn't exist.

The HeadMinister cleared off a few seats and told us to make ourselves comfortable. I nodded and politely agreed but there was no way I could be comfortable when the smell of cat pee became more potent. Caddie sat on one side of me and Alix sat on the other. I bit my lip to hold back a laugh when Alix's seat made a squishing noise as she sat down.

"Oh I'm sorry about that," The HeadMinister said with a slight southern drawl, "Sometimes Jubilee just goes wherever she wants to."

Alix grimaced, "Jubilee?"

The HeadMinister nodded, "Yes, she's my cat."

Upon hearing her name being called twice, a small black cat jumped onto the desk. I wasn't much of cat person nor did I pay attention to any of their details, but Jubilee looked a lot like Ebony- Caddie's cat. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Caddie leaned forward. She too, had a flicker of recognition in her eyes.

"Now I do not mean to sound rude," The HeadMinister began. Her body posture changed, as she tried to seem more professional. But her damaged spine didn't allow her to sit up from her hunched position. "But I am having a tough time wrapping my head around what you folks just told me. Time travel? It just doesn't sound possible. I know a lot about magic but I had never heard of a time travel spell."

"We thought the same thing, Miss," Caddie said. "But somehow we're here in 1816, and that is centuries away from our present."

The Minister cocked her head to the side and scrutinized our appearance. Her eyes lingered on mine for a second; my resemblance to Adeline unnerved her.

"I must admit, y'all don't dress like people from my time. And you do look a lot like Adeline, which is strange since I know she doesn't have any siblings or extended family. But I have been around for a long time, children, I think I would have heard about time travel if it were real."

"Is there anything we could do to convince you?" Alix offered.

"Hmmm. Well, I suppose, I could ask the Mind Manipulator to search through your minds to see if you're telling the truth- but I have to warn ya it's a bit painful."

She was trying to intimidate us. A small part of her was hopeful. She might have wanted us to be lying, but I didn't know why.  That would be a question for Jaxon later.

"Sure," Caddie agreed, "We'd be happy to meet with the Mind Manipulator if you want."

"Fine," The HeadMinister said and leaned over her crystal ball.

She moved her shaking hands in a circular motion- like psychics did on television. Mist swirled around the glass ball.

"Is there any possible way we could prove to you that we are from the future, without having someone rip apart our brains?" Alix interrupted the HeadMinister's spell.

I almost cringed at the smugness the HeadMinister felt by hearing Alix's request. Any thoughts of us telling the truth must have been wiped clear from her mind. Leaning back in her chair, she held back a smirk and stroked the wisps of hair on her chin. We were in trouble.

"Ignore Alix," Jaxon interjected. Anxiety welled within him as he read he HeadMinister's thoughts. "We would be happy to meet with the HeadMinister. I know what you are thinking and we have nothing to hide."

"Apart from a few sex dreams," Alix muttered and gave her brother a cross look.

The HeadMinister arched an eyebrow at Alix's crude comment, but she did allow Alix's admission.

"Fine, I will not contact the Mind Manipulator right now- but I will if you can not prove to me that you four are from the future in the next five minutes."

In a strange synchronized movement, all four of us pulled out our smartphones and placed them on her desk. The HeadMinister's mouth dropped open as ran her fingers over the black screens. She picked Alix's phone up, intrigued by the bedazzled gold case. She almost dropped the phone when Siri's creepy monotonous voice sounded.

"This is the most peculiar technology I have ever seen. If I would have been a simple minded mortal, I would called it witch craft," She mused, "But this isn't witch craft. It is simply the future."

She placed Alix's phone back on the desk and turned her attention back to me. "So you are a descendant of the Volkov family...." She trailed off.

"Yes. I'm the future Heart Curator of my century."

"And what century would that be?" She was genuinely curious.

"The twenty-first."

The HeadMinister's beady eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. Her jaw went slack; I could see the painful blisters her wooden dentures caused. The hideous sight of her tooth decay would forever be branded in the back of my mind. But it was worth all the mental torture, as long as she believed us.

"S-so you are all the future heirs?" She pretended to clear her throat, in a poor attempt to hide that she was shamelessly gawking at us.

"Not all of us," I explained, "Only Caddie and I are heirs. Alix is Caddie's guardian, and Jaxon is Alix's brother. Both Alix and Jaxon were born with extra talents. Alix can see the future and Jaxon can read minds."

I had hoped that blatant honesty would help her to trust us more and perhaps, make her feel inclined to help us. I was rewarded, and cursed, with a wide grin from the HeadMinister. Before we left, I was going to make a few serious adjustments to the 19th century dental care. There was no possible way Caddie could follow her destiny if we died from gum infections.

"So, which family do you belong to?" The HeadMinister asked Caddie.

She seemed truly puzzled by Caddie's appearance. With her porcelain features and big blue eyes, Caddie didn't look like a Dark Witch. She didn't even match the stunning beauty of a witch. When I first met her, I thought she was pretty but nothing extraordinary. After spending time with her, I started to notice little quirks that made her irresistible. Like the way her eyes sparkled with innocence when her entitled being was tainted. Or the way she refused to conform to society and its standards. Before I met her, I never knew that a sweatshirt could be sexy. She opened my eyes to a new world where being selfless and pure was satisfying. Like all people, Caddie was far from perfect but she was perfect for me.

"I am the future Dark Witch," Caddie chose her words carefully.

Unlike me, she didn't have a family that was proud about their ancestors. Lady Böse refused to tell her about the past Dark Witches. Being sent to the past, was a perfect opportunity for her to learn why Lady Böse kept their past as a secret.

"Well I'll be," The HeadMinister whispered in awe.

"So, you believe us?" Alix asked.

The HeadMinister nodded absent mindlessly as she continued to stare at Caddie and I.

"I believe you four but I still don't know how you got here."

"Neither do we," Caddie lied. "That's why we came to you. We were hoping you might be able to help us get home."

"I don't know if I can. I have never heard of that kind of magic before. But I'll consult the other Council Members. In the mean time we can pretend that you four are new students. I think it would be best if we don't tell the student body that you are from the future. In the wrong hands this magic can be very dangerous."

Alix, Jaxon and I traded smiles, as the HeadMinister contacted the other Council Members. Our task was going to be difficult. We didn't know how to dress or act properly for the time period- but we would learn. It was of outmost importance that we saved our people from the Dark Ones.

Operation: Save the world had begun.

**Sorry again for the errors. If you see anything major please point it out and I will fix it. I hope you guys liked this chapter. We're starting delve deeper into the complex character that is Aleksander. In upcoming chapters we will see how the four handle life in the 1800s and how the handle being double agents. We will also be reacquainted with a familiar face soon. Thank you for all the love and support, you guys are always there to help me whenever I'm in a slump and I appreciate it immensely. I hope you continue to like the books!!
XOXO,
Ro.**

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Phoenix Rising (re-writing) Από Smile

Εφηβική Φαντασία

330 50 27
"Once upon a time there was a dragon that only knew one love, a phoenix." She laughs at me again. "The phoenix was kind, full of compassion. She coul...
21K 2.3K 43
Highest renk #3 in science fiction BOOK #1 OF "THE THOUSANDS" SERIES "You wrote that prophecy." I accused her, narrowing my eyes at her. "Yes... I d...
42.4K 2.4K 41
(Can be read as a stand-alone) She was my best friend, the love of my life. She was a beautiful soul, too perfect for this world and the people that...
6.2K 78 42
I'm not allowed to love you but I do. This book is about two people who love each other but aren't allowed to. They are forbidden by they families...