Surviving Cancer

Da darlingberational

Macin Cole was diagnosed with leukemia when she was eight years old. After fighting a three year long battle... Altro

Tuesday, August 29
Tuesday, September 4
Wednesday, September 6
Saturday, September 9
Wednesday, September 13
Thursday, September 14
Wednesday, September 20
Friday, September 22
Saturday, September 23
Monday, September 25
Tuesday, September 26
Tuesday, September 26 Cont'd
Tuesday, September 26 Cont'd & Wednesday, September 27
Friday, September 29
Tuesday, October 3
Tuesday, October 3 Cont'd
Wednesday, October 4
Friday, October 6
Friday, October 6 Cont'd
Saturday, October 7
Saturday, October 7 Cont'd
Monday, October 9
Monday, October 9 Cont'd
Monday, October 9 Cont'd & Wednesday, October 11
Saturday, October 14
Saturday, October 14 & Tuesday, October 17
Wednesday, October 18
Wednesday, October 18 & Thursday, October 19
Thursday, October 19 Cont'd
Thursday, October 19 Cont'd & Friday, October 20
Friday, October 20 Cont'd
Wednesday, October 25
Wednesday, October 25 Cont'd & Thursday, October 26
Thursday, October 26 Cont'd
Friday, October 27
Saturday, October 28
Not an Update but Still Worth Reading
Saturday, October 28 Cont'd
Monday, October 30
Tuesday, October 31
Friday, November 3 Cont'd
Sunday, November 5
Monday, November 6
Monday, November 6 Cont'd
Tuesday, November 7
Tuesday, November 7 Cont'd
Tuesday, November 7 Cont'd & Wednesday, November 8
Monday, November 13
Thursday, November 16
Thursday, November 16 Cont'd
Friday, November 17
Friday, November 17 Cont'd
Monday, November 20
Tuesday, November 21
Tuesday, November 21 Cont'd
Wednesday, November 22
Thursday, November 23 & Friday, November 24
Friday, November 24 Cont'd
Sunday, November 26
Monday, November 27
Wednesday, November 29
Tuesday, December 5
Thursday, December 7
Saturday, December 9 and Monday, December 11
Monday, December 11 Cont'd
Wednesday, December 13
Tuesday, December 19
Wednesday, December 20
Thursday, December 21 & Saturday, December 23
Sunday, December 24
Friday, December 29
Sunday, December 31
Thursday, January 4
Thursday, January 4 & Monday, January 8
Thursday, January 11 & Saturday, January 13
Saturday, January 13 Cont'd & Sunday, January 14
Monday, January 15
Wednesday, January 17 & Thursday, January 18
Thursday, January 18 Cont'd
Friday, January 19
Friday, January 19 Cont'd
Monday, January 22 (Finale)
Author's Note (Sequel)
Surprise!

Friday, November 3

13K 271 23
Da darlingberational

LEVI POV

It was the Friday morning; the morning of the talent show, Maci had landed in my bed shaking me awake.

"Wake up Levi." She repeated over and over.

I groaned and rolled over, covering my eyes with my arm. "It's so early."

"We have school. I need to talk to you, wake up." She repeated.

"My alarm hasn't gone off yet, I can still sleep." I grumbled.

"Please Levi." She asked, her legs draped over my stomach.

I let out a sigh, rubbing my hands up and down my face. "What do you need to talk about?"

"I can't do the talent show." She blurted. "I'm terrified. What if I screw up? What if everyone thinks I sound like crap?"

I laughed, "Maci you're going to be awesome. Everyone's going to love you."

"Yeah but..." She rattled on with all her doubts as I thought about what I had just said. I hadn't told her about the rumors and my outburst in class. She had gone to school the past few days with some people knowing the truth but most of everyone making up and spreading ridiculous things. I wasn't sure if she had noticed, she hadn't said anything. But I knew I couldn't keep it from her any longer. I ran my hand threw my hair, she was probably going to be a little mad I hadn't told her sooner.

"Maci really, you're great, stop worrying. Besides do you really care what people think of you?" I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, "I mean a little."

"You shouldn't, people say dumb things, and they don't know you. You shouldn't listen to them." I said. She wrinkled her forehead, cocking her head to the side as she looked at me. "I should have told you sooner but when I called during school the other day, well, some kids in my class were saying things about you."

"Like what kind of things?" She asked, her voice quiet and vulnerable.

"Stupid stuff, it doesn't matter." I tried to blow it off but she wouldn't let me.

"Just tell me Levi." She pressed.

I let out a sigh, once again running my hand through my hair. "They were just trying to figure out why you weren't in school."

"Levi." She said.

"It's not important." I grumbled. "They were just saying you had an eating disorder and stupid crap like that." I watched as her jaw dropped. "Don't listen to them. Those people don't matter."

"I can't help it I look like this!" She yelled. "What the hell is wrong with people? And why didn't you say something?"

I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her down along side of me. "You had enough to deal with and then Halloween and it just slipped my mind."

"Is that why people have been weird the last two days?" She asked.

"I told them." She nodded her head; I could feel the tears that were streaming down her face pool up on my chest.

"I hate people." She muttered.

"Me too." I said. "But think about all the good stuff. You got a piano again, tonight's the talent show, Jonah's party is this weekend. It's all looking up." I kissed the top of her head as she laid curled in a ball alongside of me.

"Now I really don't want to do the talent show. Everyone thinks I'm a head case." She muttered.

I sat up, turning to look at her. "Then you get up and show them they're wrong."

"It's not that easy Levi." She said as she shook her head.

"But it is Maci." I didn't say anymore. I kissed the top of her head before sliding out from beside her. "Come on."
                      -------------
A little over an hour we were walking to Maci's first hour. I grabbed her hand, winding our way through the crowds of people.

"Everything's going to be fine." I said squeezing her hand. She just nodded as we walked. "Is Skylar going to go with you to Jonah's?" I asked trying to get her mind off of everyone else and the talent show.

"I haven't asked him yet. I don't know if he'll come." She mumbled. "He's not really comfortable with the whole cancer/sick thing."

I shook my head, I couldn't figure out why he was insisting on 'being there' for Maci when he couldn't handle everything that was involved with being there for Maci. I kept my mouth closed though as we walked.

"Maybe I should see if Jackie wants to go?" She said.

"I think her and Greg have plans but I could be wrong. Ask her." I pushed. We neared the door of her classroom, I could feel her grip tighten on my hand. "Don't worry. You know if anyone says anything I'll flatten them."

She let out a little chuckle, a smile breaking onto her face. "I know."

"So chin up. Besides you're going to show 'em all what you're made of tonight anyway, so fuck 'em let 'em talk." I pulled her into my arms and gave her a squeeze. "I love you."

"Love you too." She said before we parted ways.

I waited until she disappeared into the classroom before I started down the hallway. I couldn't help but feel like people had been constantly staring at us since all week. I felt like they were all gossiping and it drove me nuts. I was trying to not pay attention to it with Maci around but it was like an itch crawling across my skin. My eyes darted around looking for those that were staring, talking, even thinking. But there were none. It was all my imagination. I met up with Greg as we finished our trek to class.

"What's up man?" He said falling into step with me.

"Nothing, you?" I asked still distracted.

He shrugged his shoulders, "What time's the talent show again? My dad wants to come see Maci."

"Starts at seven I think." I said.

We fell into silence as we walked into our classroom and took our seats. I just wanted to get through today at least until the talent show.  It didn't make any sense but I just felt like now that Maci knew that people knew someone was going to say something to her.  Like they couldn't have said something before.  I shook my head, realizing how irritation I was thinking. After they heard her I knew everyone would forget all about the stupid rumors anyway. They just had to hear her. I let out a sigh, slumping back into my seat.

"Big sigh." Greg commented, leaving it open to whether or not I wanted to elaborate.

I nodded my head, "Just stressing."

"About Maci?" Greg asked.

"What else? I just don't want anyone to say anything shitty to her. Like on Monday, you know?" I shrugged, knowing I couldn't stop no matter what I did.

"We I haven't heard anyone talking about since." Greg said.

"Good." I breathed, "Let me know if that changes."

Moving to Michigan wasn't supposed to be this stressful. Yeah we were going to a new school with no one we knew but it was supposed to be an adventure that we could do together. Instead I was sitting there worrying about her not being here and people talking crap. I just wanted to be like every other 16 year old and I knew Maci did too. Why did we have to be the exception?

                        -------------
MACI POV

I had just spilt ways with Jackie as I headed for my sixth hour. My anxiety from earlier had long since been gone, mostly because I knew that I couldn't change what people were thinking. Only a few people had actually inquired directly with me. The rest even though I couldn't hear their conversations, were still talking behind my back. But there was nothing I could do. Everyone would eventually know that I had cancer not an eating disorder or anything like that. I suppose in a way it was my own fault. If I would have just come right out with it when I found out the cancer was back no one could have speculated. Besides my thoughts were on the talent show. I was flipping back and forth between being excited for the talent show and being terrified. In the current moment I couldn't wait but it changed with the weather. I pushed open the door to the girl's locker room. At the next semester I was being switched out of gym but until then on the days I felt okay I was participating. Sports used to be a huge part of both Levi's and my life. Cancer though had gotten in the way, at least for me. I turned the corner to where the benches were surrounded by lockers and all the girls in the room fell awkwardly silent. I opened my locker, pulling out my gym clothes. A few of the girls disappeared out of the locker room while the rest lingered, whispering back and forth between each other. Nerves rose through my body as I thought about having to change with everyone there and their focus on me. It was like all of a sudden people noticed that I had lost weight. All of a sudden I was the topic of everyone's discussion. It wasn't like this had happened over night, it had happened over time. I took a deep breath. I didn't deserve to feel like an outcast. I shouldn't have to be feel self conscious over the way that I look when there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I swallowed and spun around, my gym clothes clutched in my hand.

"What?" I snapped.

"Uh nothing." One of the girls said.

"Why is everyone whispering?" I asked, clenching my teeth between questions.

A different girl stepped up. "Is it true you're doing the talent show tonight?"

I wrinkled my forehead in confusion. "Yeah, why?"

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Singing." I said.

She walked toward me holding her hand out, "I don't think we've actually met, my name's Rachel."

"Maci." I took her hand and shook it hesitantly.

"I'll be your competition." She smiled, before turning to walk away. She glanced back just before she walked out of view. "Good luck."

I was left alone in the locker room, my mind reeling. I had been so sure they were whispering about why I was so thin. Maybe they had and decided to keep it to themselves when I called them out. But at the same time maybe they really had been trying to size me up alongside of Rachel. No one really knew I sang or played any instruments. I could see where the curiosity could have came about. The new girl with her weird relationship with her twin brother and drastically shrinking waste line. I was sort of a freak show. I hadn't really even thought of who my competition would be. I wasn't doing it to win though either. Butterflies rose up in my stomach, what if Rachel was phenomenal? What if she blew me out of the water? She was confident, she probably had years of voice lessons behind her. What if I went up on stage and made a fool of myself? I sat down on the bench, my heart beating through my chest. I should just withdraw. Save myself the trouble and the stress. I just wouldn't tell anyone, that way no one could talk me out of it. I didn't have to prove anything to anyone or myself. I was fine just the way I was. Obviously I wasn't one of those natural performers otherwise I would have already done it by now. My parent's would forgive me and so would Levi. They were the only people that really matter anyway. I took a deep breath, slipped into my gym clothes, my mind made up. No more talent show.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

45.7K 1.1K 28
Violet, a 15 year old girl who just started her Freshman Year of high school, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. She has 3 years to live. W...
6.2K 69 40
When you are diagnosed with cancer, you go into fight mode. A cancer patient's reason for fighting their cancer varies. But Matt Casey's reason for f...
230K 7.4K 33
| STAND ALONE NOVEL | You have seven years left to live. Those are the words Alyson Adams heard when she was ten. She found out she was going to die...
1.6K 113 20
Elmer x reader! Sixteen years old and battling Leukemia, Katie Alexis Danvers is a live wire with a healthy spirit, even though she doesn't always lo...