Don't Be a Hero: A Superhero...

De ChrisStrange

Now complete! ~~~ It's a bad time to be a superhero. When the world turned its back on metahumans, the golden... Mais

1: No One Can Stop Me Now
2: There's No I In Hero
3: The Night Belongs To Me
4: Fight Dirty
6: A Word Between Friends
7: In Another's Shoes
8: A Crooked Man
9: It's Too Late For Me
10: What She Doesn't Know
11: An Inside Job
12: And Now, A Message From Our Host
13: Gently, Gently
14: May I Have This Dance?
15: The Puppet And The Puppet Master
16: A Family Matter
17: Rest My Weary Head
18: Ladies And Gentlemen, May I Have Your Attention?
19: The Last Domino
20: Packaged And Delivered
21: Always In The Last Place You Look
22: Home, Whatever That Means
23: The Devil in the Details
24: A Drop Of Blood
25: There's Always A Way
26: The Long Way Home
27: No Light Without Darkness
28: Can Anybody Hear Me?
29: Once More Into The Night
30: How Do You Stop The Unstoppable Man?
31: It Never Ends

5: And Your Enemies Closer

5.8K 224 11
De ChrisStrange

Green Tornado

Real name: Miguel Valdés

Powers: Superspeed, air manipulation.

Notes: One of the few Argentinian metahumans to achieve international fame and recognition. He chose to work on civilian projects rather than fight crime, using his powers and background in architecture to build numerous bridges, monorail networks, and towers that were not practical for normal humans to construct. Valdés later aided the Alpha League in the construction of the lunar colony.

—Notes on selected metahumans [Entry #0239]

***

Bangkok, Thailand

Morgan Shepherd rolled up his sleeves and lounged in the bar’s booth. He’d picked a spot near the window, where a breeze did nothing to alleviate the pervasive humidity. The instant he’d left his airship, he was almost crushed by the steamy Bangkok night, and now the back of his shirt was damp and sticky. Even so, he wore a fitted, snow-white shirt and trousers, along with his white gloves. They helped cover the worst of the patchy, non-pigmented skin on the backs of his hands. And he didn’t want to leave fingerprints.

He smiled and raised his glass at a pair of Thai girls in miniskirts who had been shooting him glances since he came in. They giggled and blushed, turning away. They were pretty enough, he supposed, but that sort of thing no longer held any interest for him. It had been years since he was in love, and it had happened just the once. The world became brighter, so bright his heart nearly burst. For months they flitted through Europe, taking coffee in a little café in Marseilles, making love in a villa outside Tuscany. Those had been the happiest days of his life.

Killing her was the hardest thing he’d ever done. Lisa.

Morgan shook his head. He wasn’t in Bangkok for the ladies. He nursed his beer—a local lager that was too watery—and kept one eye on the door, watching the motorcycles and tuk-tuks buzzing past outside. The bar wasn’t big, but it was popular with both locals and foreigners. It had been slowly filling up in the hour since he arrived. A couple of blocks away, the Chao Phraya River would be humming with ferries and longtails even at this hour. He’d flown over the river further upstream—with the stealth cloak on, of course—while they searched for a suitable place to set him down. By river standards, it was nothing special. It was no Danube, or even a Mekong. But the constant movement and the industriousness of the people who worked on it touched him.

Morgan popped a couple of pills into his mouth and washed them down with another sip of beer. He silently toasted himself once again on the successful recruitment drive in Siberia. Only two of the supercriminals he liberated had declined to join him, and they were killed without too much resistance. Another was too weak from malnourishment to be of much use, so he had to put that one down too. But the rest were turning out to be fine specimens. They were still adjusting to their life outside the prison walls, and their training would have to be shorter than he’d like, but that was unavoidable. Time was short, and he could brook no delays.

His star prize, of course, was Doll Face. The man—creature, almost—had seemed delighted with the task Morgan had in store for him. Granted, with the plastic mask stitched to his face it was difficult to judge Doll Face’s true emotions. The creature seemed to delight in painting on makeup each day. He always gave the mask some fresh red lipstick and a coating of mascara for the synthetic eyelashes. At Doll Face’s insistence, Morgan had picked up some new fishnet stockings from a market stall earlier in the evening. The man was undoubtedly insane, but that was of no consequence. In fact, crazy was just what he needed.

News of the boy’s capture in New Zealand had reached him a few days ago. Julius was the name they were travelling under now, apparently. The old man had slipped the net, but Morgan had contingencies in place for such an event. As soon as they were done here, they’d be making their way to New Zealand to deal with that situation. Doll Face was bursting with glee.

A large shadow filled the bar’s doorway for a moment, and Morgan brought his thoughts back to the matter at hand. He affected a bored disinterest while he took another sip of beer and surreptitiously studied the giant of a man who came through the door. Yes, it was him. William Hayne’s pug-nosed face was not one that could be easily mistaken. The broad-chested American wore a faded blue T-shirt and baggy shorts. The man once had hair, but now the top of his head more closely resembled a bowling ball. Morgan scrunched his nose a little at the state of Hayne’s attire. True, the weather here was unforgiving, but appearances were still important.

Hayne lumbered up to the bar and waved to the short Thai barkeep. He got a big smile in return, and the small Thai man rushed over with a beer. In a glass, no less. Morgan hadn’t received a glass with his beer.

Morgan relaxed and continued to nurse his beer while he let Hayne settle in. His information had said he was a regular here, and that appeared to be the case. Good. That would make everything go much smoother.

Hayne’s bulk flowed over the narrow barstool. The two Thai girls made their way to the bar a few minutes later. Morgan watched Hayne’s eyes tracking them. When they had their drinks, the bald man made no pretense about watching the girls’ wiggling backsides as they returned to their table. When they sat down again, he immediately leaned over and tried to strike up a conversation with the young woman sitting next to him. Yes, Hayne hadn’t changed a bit.

Hayne had polished off two beers and a glass of top shelf whiskey by the time Morgan took the last sip of his lager and weaved through the crowd towards the bar. Amongst the people, the air was so thick he could barely breathe. The Thai girls fluttered their lashes as he passed. He gave them a smile.

“Do you ladies speak English?”

They giggled. “A little, yes,” the slimmer one said. “You are new here. Will you sit?”

The other one was pulling her white singlet down to give him a better look at her cleavage. Something about it repulsed him. They were most likely whores.

“I’m honoured,” he said, smiling broadly. “I have to see a friend first. Maybe a little later.”

The slim one pouted, and he stilled a sudden urge to slap that silly look off her face. He noted what they were drinking—a screwdriver and a daiquiri—and he gave them a wink and a polite goodbye. “Laaeo phohp gan mai.

The barstool next to Hayne was vacant now. He must’ve scared the poor woman away. He was probably twice the poor woman’s age, but in Bangkok, that wasn’t always a handicap for a white man. Unfortunately, Hayne’s charm didn’t seem to have improved since his retirement.

Morgan slipped into the seat alongside Hayne and pulled a worn Thai phrasebook from his pocket. Without glancing at Hayne, he tentatively raised his hand at the short barkeep. “Ah, excuse me. Ah….” He consulted his phrasebook. “Ahh…chan kaw…” he said in butchered Thai. His thumb flicked through the pages. “Beer…” he muttered to himself. “Beer….”

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Hayne watching him struggle. Then the man slapped the bar with his meaty palm. “Kiet! This man needs a beer.” He turned to Morgan. “What are you having?”

“Oh, thank you,” Morgan said, smiling politely. “I had some Thai beer before.” He pointed at a bottle in another patron’s hand. “That one.”

“You don’t want that shit. Kiet! Give him one of the German imports.”

The smiling barkeep bobbed his head and obligingly poured a tall glass with just the right amount of head. He slid it over to Morgan on a cardboard coaster, bobbed his head again, and left.

“Thank you for the help,” Morgan said. He took a long sip. Hayne was right, it was much better than what he was having before. “I just flew in this afternoon and these people may as well be speaking Martian.”

A grin grew on Hayne’s face. “Where’s that accent from? You British or something?”

Morgan nodded. “An Englishman walks into a bar….”

“And can’t even order himself a drink. That’s grim.” Hayne winked. “But you seemed to do okay with those girls over there.” He jerked his beer towards the two Thai girls.

“Ah yes, lovely girls,” Morgan said. “They seem a little young to be in here, though.”

“This is Thailand, friend. Age don’t mean the same thing here that it does in the West.” He held up his glass, and Morgan clinked it with his own. “Not too many white folk come in here. Lots of other Orientals, but not many whites. What’re you here for, anyway?”

“Business,” Morgan said. “I have to meet a client about an investment tomorrow.”

Hayne screwed up his face as if the very idea of work bored him. He held out his hand. “The name’s Will.”

“Morgan.”

They fell silent for a while, sipping their beers amongst the rapid Thai conversations. Morgan studied Hayne over the lip of his glass. A foul man. Even in his prime he was the same. During his divorce in ’49, the press had spread rumours of extramarital affairs and domestic violence. They didn’t know the half of it. Hayne was the sort of man who’d let the world turn to ruin. He was the sort of man who’d turned the world against metas.

Morgan stretched and leaned back in his barstool. “I should thank you for your help. Would you like to help me buy those two girls a drink?”

The grin hadn’t changed either. It was the grin that had graced thousands of newspapers across the world. The grin of Iron Justice, comrade of Dr Atomic, and the hero who’d slaughtered more Nazis than anyone else in the Manhattan Eight.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

~~~

Two hours later, they were drinking rice wine in a private room at a small tourist hotel. Of course, Morgan had arranged the room to be free several hours previously. Morgan, Hayne, and the two young Thai girls lounged on the tattered couches in the glow of several lamps, laughing uproariously. The room already stunk of Hayne’s sweat.

“What I’m saying,” Morgan said as he topped up Hayne’s chipped glass, “is that there must be something that makes someone become a metahuman.”

Hayne tottered a little, red-faced, and waved his glass at Morgan. Even after all these years, his biceps looked like mountains. “’Course there is, everyone knows that. Don’t they teach you about the nukes back in England? No wonder we had to save you in the war.”

Morgan put on a polite smile. “Obviously the nuclear radiation is a factor. Countries that have been exposed to nuclear radiation have the greatest number of metahumans per capita. Japan, Poland, New Zealand, anywhere the bombs hit. And of course the Manhattan Eight were a result of the accident at Los Alamos. Dr Atomic would attest to that. He was a scientist first, just plain old Robert Oppenheimer.”

He stared at the drunken Hayne while he spoke, but the man gave no sign that he’d even heard, let alone realised that Morgan knew who he was.

Morgan poured some more wine for the girls as well, even though they were half-unconscious already. “I wonder sometimes,” he continued, “what Einstein and Bohr and Oppenheimer and all those other scientists thought when they realized the true power of nuclear energy. Not just to power light bulbs and disintegrate enemies, but to truly create. To make new forms of humanity, people that could be pillars of their community like never before. I wonder what it was like for Oppenheimer, one day being in charge of creating the very first atomic bomb, and the next, becoming the world’s first superhero.”

Hayne fondled the slimmer girl’s breast over her singlet. She moaned and writhed on the couch, eyes closed.

“But don’t you think it’s strange the number of metahumans that became heroes?” Morgan said.

“There were more than a few supercriminals too, as I recall,” Hayne said as he pulled the girl’s top down to expose her breast. She giggled and tried to bring the glass to her lips, but spilled most of it. Hayne pinched her nipple, and her giggle turned to a gasp. Her friend was dozing, head nodding.

“Yes, that’s my point,” Morgan said. He put the glass to his lips while he watched Hayne’s groping hands, but he didn’t take a drink. “The US government commissioned a census in the early fifties to find out what occupations metas held. Of the tier four and higher metas, over twenty per cent were professional superheroes or crime-fighters. They estimated another five to ten per cent were supercriminals. And so many of the rest were designing hyper-advanced technology or trying to build cities the likes of which had never been seen before. So the question is this: do metas gain these powers, and then decide to do great or terrible things with them? Or was there something in those people already, something that was just waiting for the chance to make a difference? Something that took the catalyst of nuclear radiation and gave metas the power to change the world.”

Hayne tightened his grip on the girl’s nipple, and she tried to slap his hand away. Laughing, he gave her one last squeeze before releasing her. She rolled away from him, dropping her glass to the wooden floor.

Hayne let out a noise that was half-grunt, half-sigh, and drained his glass. Holding his hand up in front of him, he frowned. “That’s a hell of a wine,” he slurred.

“Think about it. No animal has ever been discovered with superpowers. Only humans are affected.” He swilled his wine. “Hero or criminal, I believe all metas became metas because they have something in common. No meta’s subconscious—his id, as it were—is content to just let life happen, to ‘go with the flow’, as they say. They shape themselves, and then they shape the world around them. They all share one deeply-held belief, a belief so buried they might not even know they possess it.” He pushed himself to his feet. “Carpe omnia.”

Hayne doubled over, clutching his head in both hands. “Carpey what? Morgan, I ain’t feeling so good.”

“I know.” Morgan lifted up the couch cushion and pulled out the object he’d concealed there before he went to the bar. It was white and shaped somewhat like a small handgun, with a needle encased within a cage in the barrel. “Although sometimes I wonder whether you were ever truly ‘good’, William.”

“What you talking about?” Hayne tried to stand up, but he collapsed to the floor on his hands and knees. The two Thai girls were motionless now, aside from the slow rise and fall of their chests. They would have bad hangovers for a day or two, but the drug he’d slipped into the rice wine wouldn’t do them any serious damage.

“Never mind,” Morgan said. He flipped the safety switch on the gun, and the needle protruded out of the protective cage. As he brought the injector gun down towards Hayne’s bulging neck veins, he exhaled. “Just remember what you used to be.”

But before he could make the injection, his muscles froze. What? What’s happening? Dimly, the realisation came to him. His disease. No! Not now. Morgan’s limbs tensed of their own accord, sending little bolts of electricity through his body.

Then white hot pain shot through Morgan’s head. A scream tore through him as his vision went red and spotted. For the love of God, not yet. His head swirled like a merry-go-round, and the injector dropped from his hand. His hands and arms curled, muscles seizing. No!

He wrenched his eyes open, and a metal-plated fist collided with his jaw. A new wave of pain crashed through him. He flew back and smashed into a table, breaking it in two. His brain scrambled to deal with the twin assaults, both internal and external.

“You son of a bitch,” Hayne’s voice growled through the fog. “What the hell did you do to me?”

Morgan forced his eyes into focus. The pain in his brain was receding, the nausea passing. Cold sweat poured from his face. He’d thought that was the end of him. The final gasp of his illness.

Time. He had none left, and so much more to do. So much more to set in motion before the end.

He locked his gaze on the man stumbling through the room towards him. Hayne was still going, still moving, despite the incredible dose of the drug racing through his system. Only it wasn’t Hayne anymore, not really. The man who stood before Morgan bore scales of steel across his entire body, like they’d grown from his skin. His eyes glowed red, and his knuckles were slick with Morgan’s blood. He was a human tank, built for destruction.

He was Iron Justice.

Every muscle screaming, Morgan forced himself to his feet. He’d miscalculated how much sedative he needed to slip into the wine to immobilize Hayne. The man had got fatter and, if possible, more muscled since his retirement. There was a tranquilizer in the injector gun to finish the job. But first he had to get the needle into three hundred and eighty pounds of steel-plated metahuman.

So be it.

Iron Justice charged, swinging his armoured fist again. Morgan was ready for it this time. He swung to the side and brought up a shield of solid light. The punch glanced off, and Iron Justice overbalanced, falling forwards. If the ex-hero had been sober, Morgan knew, that blow would’ve killed him.

Morgan kicked off a couch to change direction and slammed back into Iron Justice, using a wall of light to shove the man further off balance. Justice stumbled, groaning, and went back onto his knees.

No time to stop. He wouldn’t stay down long. Morgan leapt back and snatched up the injector from where he’d dropped it. The needle and vial were still intact. As Iron Justice lurched back to his feet, Morgan snatched up a lamp that had escaped the carnage.

“Who are you?” Iron Justice growled.

Morgan ripped the wires from the lamp and spread his legs. “I’m the man who’s going to damn the world.”

Justice swung. He was too slow. Morgan ducked, dodged, and pressed the live wires against Iron Justice’s metal neck. Sparks flew and blue lightning arced across the steel scales. Hayne screamed.

The metal plates of Iron Justice’s neck seemed to liquefy and retract as they fled from the electricity. A patch of skin a few inches wide emerged. It was enough.

Morgan plunged the injector needle into Hayne’s neck and squeezed the trigger. The gun silently released its contents into the man’s bloodstream. His red eyes bulged. Morgan tossed the wires aside as Justice fell. The ex-hero didn’t even groan as he slipped into unconsciousness.

Morgan panted, sweat pouring from him. That had been too close. His disease had nearly cost him everything. He shouldn’t have delayed all those years. So long he’d been healthy, content to plan and plot. But now, when it came down to it, he had no time.

Haze and Tinderbox pounded into the room a moment later. They stared at the carnage for a moment, and Haze leered at the unconscious girls.

“My lord Quanta,” Tinderbox said. “Are you all right?”

Morgan stepped over the unconscious Hayne and adjusted the Thai girl’s singlet to cover her exposed breast. “I’m fine. Contact Obsidian. I think we’ll need her help to carry this one out.” He gave Hayne a light kick.

Head pounding, Morgan picked up the bottle of rice wine. By some miracle it had survived the battle. Before he’d started drinking, he’d lined his stomach and oesophagus with solidified light. Later, he’d have to deal with the unpleasantness of vomiting the rice wine up so he could remove the light lining. But for now, neither the sedative nor the alcohol would affect him.

Morgan stared at Iron Justice and raised the nearly empty bottle in a toast to the defeated hero. “Carpe omnia.”

Tinderbox frowned. “My lord?”

“Carpe omnia,” Morgan said again, almost to himself.

Seize everything.

~~~

This book is available now at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords. Find out more at www.chris-strange.com.

Thanks for reading!

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

7.1K 307 46
[MCU FF] [RE-WRITTEN] [BOOK 2 OF UNORDINARY SERIES] ❝𝐒𝐨, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 out of this 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝? ❞ After finding a portal to a...
4.6K 152 32
***ALERT SPOILERS AHEAD, STOP READING IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE PREVIOUS TWO BOOKS*** The world seems to be finally at peace. The Ring of Evil was st...
309K 23.5K 107
May the fittest survive!! The whole galaxy lives upon that law. A world where no one is allowed to show his weakness to anyone. You are weak, you are...
41 0 26
Another ordinary day. That's what I thought. Boring and normal. Until everything was flipped upside down. Kidnapped, tested on, and then set into a n...