M.A.I.D.S. [season 1]

MACThree द्वारा

[season 1] In the near-future, mankind succeeds in curing A.I.D.S. However, something much worse fills the v... अधिक

M.A.I.D.S. - Prologue
Episode 1: Homecoming
Episode 2: Introspection
Episode 3: Deep In Thought
Episode 4: When It Rains...
Episode 5: The Unexpected
Episode 6: Blue For You
Episode 7: Questions
Episode 9: Walking Papers
Episode 10: The Dispossessed
Episode 11: You Can't Get Here From There
Episode 12: Ubi Sunt?
Episode 13: One Candle
Episode 14: Killing Time
Episode 15: Teeth and Ambitions
Episode 16: A Man Chooses...
Episode 17: Free and Brave

Episode 8: A Backhanded Compliment

36K 344 52
MACThree द्वारा

M.A.I.D.S. Episode 8 - A Backhanded Compliment

Pandora stared at Robobot. The simple cleaning device had positioned itself about a meter away from her, its optical sensors trained on the empty beer bottles she held.

There was nothing dirty or broken in the room, no reason for a maintenance robot specialized in floor cleaning to be present. Pandora swept the room with her green eyes but was unable to detect anything out of the ordinary. Anything except Robobot.

"Adam?" she called hesitantly. Alerted by the tone of concern in her voice, Adam came into the room and drew Gladys from its holster. Robobot waited in the center of the floor and did not react to having the heavy assault pistol drawn on it.

"What's going on here?" he asked, his curiosity piqued. Adam holstered Gladys, his billowing house-tunic concealing the deadly weapon.

"Robobot is...it was waiting for me when I entered the kitchen," she explained, her voice quivering with excitement.

"I can see that. Why?"

"I think it's waiting for the empty beer bottles," Pandora explained. Her face was alight with the thrill of scientific discovery.

"You think it's waiting? Have you been tinkering with the house cleaning systems?"

"I considered it, but I was hoping you'd buy me a puppy instead," Pandora replied with a grin. "I believe that Robobot learned that I smash beer bottles, and based on that, it was waiting for me in the kitchen when I entered with the empties. Here," she said, handing Adam the bottles.

"Well I'll be," Adam said as Robobot retreated from the kitchen. Pandora took the bottles back and the machine turned around and moved into the center of the small kitchen, again training its optics on the bottles.

"Robobot is networked to the entire house and is using external sensors to track my behavior. It is programmed to thoroughly clean the floors in the most efficient manner possible. I hypothesize that it came into the kitchen to wait for me to smash the bottles based on my previous behavior. Remaining in close proximity to me while I am consuming bottled beverages would increase its cleaning efficiency. Let me try something," Pandora said. She smashed one bottle, which Robobot quickly cleaned up in its cold, efficient manner. The second bottle she set on the floor gently. Robobot's optics locked on the undamaged object, but it did not move.

"Why isn't it cleaning that one?" asked Pandora.

"Probably because it's still in one piece."

"But it's empty. It needs to be recycled," Pandora replied. A mechanical chirp issued from Robobot at her words and it scuttled forward, taking the bottle in its manipulators and then zooming out of the room to the house's recycling center.

"I guess it didn't know you were done until you said so," Adam surmised.

"You're right," Pandora agreed. "Robobot waited for me because doing so would increase its efficiency. Present-day robotics are able to be easily modified via streaming network updates to take advantage of recent advances in their specializations; this happens constantly."

"So Robobot didn't learn, he was upgraded," Adam argued.

"No, it learned. There wouldn't be a network update anywhere that covers my destructive habits," Pandora replied with a girlish giggle. "Robobot learned because of me. It's very rudimentary, but it's exciting nonetheless."

"Now, if you're fixin' to teach that other Synthia how to think, you might use Robobot as an example."

"Of course!" Pandora giggled, jumping up and down in excitement. "You're wonderful," she said, kissing Adam. He put his arms around her slender waist and held her close.

"You're wonderful," the two kissed, and Pandora felt her body fill with two sensations-a powerful urge to make love to Adam, and all the necessary stimuli to make it happen. It was all she could do to remain locked to his lips, and as they kissed she explored her thoughts.

Clearly, I'm designed to sexually satisfy him at every opportunity. I'm also designed to make it the most pleasurable experience possible. I don't want to do it just because I'm designed to. Do I want to make love to Adam right now?

Her hands were already making decisions of their own, and Adam's body responded in typical male fashion. A moan escaped her lips.

My body wants this! I'm designed to do it! Why do I hesitate? Don't I want it?

Last night was amazing, and that was us making love. Adam and I. Man and woman. Just because I'm designed to want him doesn't mean I don't genuinely want him. I want to love him, please him, make him happy-that's both the Synthia I am and the woman I am talking.

Having made up her mind, Pandora's mouth followed her hands. Once Adam was satisfied she felt some of the burning desire within her ebb, a sense of accomplishment coming to her. While she knew that this feeling was simply positive reinforcement for having performed fellatio, she decided that she rather liked doing things to him. It made him happy, which in turn made her happy; he was sexually satisfied, from which Pandora drew her own measure of gratification. Why couldn't that be both as a result of programming and her own desires?

"Wow," was all he could say when she was done. She gave him a devilish grin and adjusted his gray house shirt. It suits him, she thought as she took in his entire image in the blink of an eye.

The extraordinary Synthia stood and went to the refrigerator. She found it was fully re-stocked with beer (minus the two Adam and Wilner drank) and food, accomplished remotely by a vast network of sensors, programs, and automata that worked swiftly and discretely to perform the mundane task of grocery shopping. Adam's account was automatically debitied the purchase price of all goods at a special discounted rate, with an automatic notification being sent to his personal computer gauntlet (he had checked it when he was getting dressed earlier that morning and wondered why his refrigerator suddenly lacked cheese).

Pandora turned her thoughts inward and accessed her vast database of cooking knowledge. She reviewed myriad breakfast recipes in nanoseconds, weighing each one against the copious contents of Adam's kitchen.

"What am I going to tell FIST? The report is already out that I have an advanced drone running on a modified Synthia computer-brain embedded in my squad. This is a PR nightmare," Adam complained from the table as Pandora cooked.

"What would happen if you told them the truth about me?" asked Pandora.

"The military would try to make an army of large-breasted killing machines. Men would be replaced in private military companies within a few years," Adam replied after a few minute's thought.

"That would reduce human casualties and afford men more time to devote to science, the arts, and personal pursuits of happiness. Wouldn't that be a good thing?" Pandora asked as she sat at the table with Adam.

Breakfast consisted of pongal, flat bread with herbal butter, and a mug of bold morning tea. The meal was completed with speed and precision thanks to modern kitchen appliances and Pandora's expert knowledge.

"This looks delicious," Adam said. Pandora motioned to him to try it, and when he did a smile spread across his face. Pandora got up and returned to the table with two glasses of juice, knowing how much Adam enjoyed his "liquid sunshine," as he referred to orange juice.

"It should be. Not to brag, but I'm a pretty good cook," Pandora joked. Adam stared into her face as he laughed, loving everything he saw there. Of course I do. I made her.

"Yes, you are." The two finished their meal, then Pandora put the dishes in the cleaning unit. Robobot was dutifully on hand, but as nothing was broken or going to the recycling unit, its presence was unnecessary. Once the cleaning unit was humming actively, Pandora and Adam went into the sitting room.

A message on a monitor greeted Adam as he sat down. He read it with a groan.

___________________

May 11, 2175 at 1000

FIST 8 is reassigned to garrison duty at FIST headquarters in Laramie, Wyoming. FIST 5 will assume protective duties of visiting senator, effective immediately.

Adam, report to FIST headquarters at 1500 May 11, 2175 for counseling.

Bring your combat drone.

___________________

"What are you going to do?" Pandora asked nervously.

"I'm going to report to FIST headquarters at 1000 with my 'drone.' You better get yourself all dolled up," Adam directed. Pandora nodded and went to the bedroom, stopping at the threshold.

"What if they want to examine me? Take me apart?"

"I won't let anyone disassemble my experimental combat drone. I may be a government creation and a fixture of global culture, but I'm still an independent global citizen and an American. I work for a PMC, not Global, Continental, or State military," Adam said, and knowledge dawned on Pandora, and Adam began busily typing away on the monitor.

"You're allowed to invent, create, and manufacture for your own personal profit. You can share with or sell to private military companies your design at your discretion," Pandora stated from her vast knowledge of law.

"Right. And I just filed a patent for you," he said with a chuckle. "You're a trade secret now."

"Don't you need to have your own established business?" Pandora queried.

"I already took care of that. Look," he said, tilting the monitor toward her. She returned to his side and read the display.

"Pandora's Box Research & Development, L.L.C. It's clichéd, but I'm flattered."

"Yup," Adam replied, taking Pandora's hand and leading her to the bedroom. The two of them dressed for Adam's meeting at FIST headquarters. Pandora donned her modular, lightweight, head-to-toe pink body armor and equipped her rifle and sidearm. Pandora's rifle was an Onyks 3, a Polish weapon that saw heavy use in World War III. Her sidearm was also Polish, a Gward revolver. She was pleased by the contrast in her firearms-her rifle was fast, stealthy, and sexy, while her revolver was deliberate and intimidating.

"Better hide your pretty face," Adam suggested to his Synthia. Pandora nodded agreement, but still took her womanly time to alter her biosynthetic makeup first. That finished, she pulled her hair back into a tight bun before putting on her helmet, then environmentally sealed her armor. The environmental seal completely covered visible skin, even on the joints, and would have the added benefit of keeping any stray hairs from poking out of the bottom of her helmet. Although her body armor masked her true nature she still had a decidedly feminine figure, especially her extra-large breastplate that accommodated her extra-large breasts.

I can simply say I made the design choices for aesthetic reasons based on the fact that I had to cram the unit's power supply and various systems into the chest cavity, Adam thought smartly.

Adam put on his dress uniform-a black bodysuit with high black boots, over which was worn a ceremonial coat. The coat bore Adam's many ribbons, awards, and qualifications, as well as his rank, marks of citizenship, and PMC affiliation. Lastly he added a woven leather belt from which he hung a ceremonial saber, and his thigh-holster for Gladys. The FIST dress uniform walked the fine line between form and function, for while it was very handsome in cloth and cut, it could easily be doffed should the need for combat arise.

The spring air still had a bite to it, as Laramie was 7,165 feet above sea level. Adam went to the control console and summoned his personal transport, the Guardian Armored Security Vehicle. The large vehicle's sleek body was covered in electric reactive armor plates, and the entire thing was currently painted in camouflage suited for the urban environment. Adam took his seat, and Pandora smiled when she noticed that her monocycle was loaded into the crew compartment.

As Adam took to the road a delivery van stopped at his home. He watched in his rearview mirror as the delivery crew used the garage controls to raise a large cargo box into which they loaded their packages. The box then automatically sealed itself and lowered back into the subterranean garage, ready for Adam when he returns. Adam thought about his history classes and how things were before such modern conveniences, and couldn't fathom conducting life any other way.

Adam drove the ASV in an unhurried manner to FIST headquarters, knowing that he was in for an ass-chewing.

"It's a shame that getting your ass chewed feels nothing like getting your salad tossed," he commented wryly. He noticed that Pandora was busily working away on her personal computer gauntlet. Silence reigned for a moment after Adam's quip before Pandora broke it.

"You realize, Adam, that we aren't going to make it to FIST headquarters," Pandora said gently over a secure comm channel. Adam glanced over, startled.

"We're not?"

"No. FIST will want to test your 'drone's' fighting capabilities. If it is deemed effective and reliable, they will allow it to operate in Bennet's stead as an experiment. This is why FIST 8 was removed from duty guarding Senator Judas," Pandora explained in an even tone.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?!" Adam remarked angrily, tugging at his dress uniform for emphasis.

"I only now decoded the highly-encrypted transmissions sent between FIST 8's support team, FIST 5, and FIST Central Command," explained Pandora.

"You did what? When? Why?" Adam was becoming increasingly flummoxed.

"I decoded the highly-encrypted transmissions sent between various FIST assets just now because I was nervous. I thought that it would give me something to keep my mind occupied."

"Oh really? Let me know how that worked out for you," he said sarcastically as he struggled to shrug his way out of his dress uniform's top. Pandora reached over and helped him remove the impressive garment, then draped it carefully over the back of his seat.

"So when is this attack supposed to come?" Adam asked, his hand straying to Gladys.

"It will happen just outside of HQ. FIST hired agents from CROW, a European PMC, to eliminate the two of us," Pandora's voice began to fill with alarm as she spoke.

"So you're telling me that my boss hired a competitor to kill me?" Adam said, slamming on the brakes. On the road behind him various civilian vehicles screeched to a halt, but microsensors in the vehicles that were networked to the local traffic grid prevented an accident.

"And me," Pandora replied nervously. "But this is only a test. I'm sure that-"

"It's a test, I know. CROW is a pretty big deal in Europe, but they've had very little success globally. They have competed with FIST in the past for European contracts. Those sons of bitches, they're using me to hurt the competition!" Adam pounded his fist on the steering wheel.

"It's a definite win for FIST. They'll only have to pay part of the money, but it's worth funding the competition if they can be shown as incompetent on foreign soil. You're standing as a FIST operative is increased, and my viability as a 'combat drone' is efficiently tested. Even though CROW will be using lethal force, FIST Central Command has faith you will overcome this obstacle. I'm so proud of you!" Pandora gushed.

"Thanks babe. Since you're reading encrypted communiques, why not get us some useful intel?" In response to his quip, Pandora pulled up a monitor between the two of them which displayed a map of FIST HQ's exterior. She began pointing at various points on the map, showing the location of CROW operatives. There were eight total.

"An entire squad? Wow, I should get a raise if they think that highly of me!"

"We need to make a plan," Pandora said, slightly annoyed at Adam's levity. "We'll need to approach headquarters as if we no nothing. That will cause CROW to believe they have the element of surprise. Of course, they must know that the rest of FIST 8 is inside the compound and most likely know that FIST 5 is present as well. Their attack will be a surgical strike designed to eliminate us both quickly, affording them time to escape and collect their bounty."

"Wait, if FIST is paying for this-"

"CROW was hired by a third party, a ghost broker based in South America. The ghost keeps FIST's hands clean," Pandora said, then giggled at her word choice. Adam nodded in understanding.

"They'll have a bomb in place at the entrance to the facility, as well as someone with an RPG ready to fire on us. Additionally, there will be considerably small arms fire to contend with. This dot here is the squad sniper," Pandora continued, indicating various points on the map.

"I take it you hacked into CROW's frequencies, too?" Adam asked.

"No. I studied their tactics and standard operating procedures and made an educated guess. It's more fun that way," she replied, giggling. Adam stared at her in disbelief.

"This is our lives you're talking about!" he growled. She waved his complaint off with her hand. I was just getting annoyed at him for not taking this so seriously. Of course, I'm more of a tactical genius than he is, but still...

"I'm sorry, Adam. You're right. I was being hypocritical and cocky."

"It's fine. Continue with the briefing," Adam replied, and Pandora suddenly realized that he was putting his faith in her tactical abilities. The thought made her dizzy, yet simultaneously warmed her manufactured heart.

"Yes sir. The mine will be automatically detonated by a proximity charge when your ASV passes over it. I can take that out with that EMP rifle I see mounted in the back," Pandora began, but Adam shook his head.

"No, we need to set off the mine to spring the trap. We'll put the ASV on autopilot and ride in the crew compartment-it will disable the vehicle but we'll be fine," Adam sad, and Pandora nodded her helmet.

"Yes, sir. The operative with the RPG and his spotter will be positioned here," Pandora pointed to a concealed location just down the street, "It is an ideal spot for them to remain hidden while they prepare to attack, but they'll have the morning sun in their eyes when they fire. The vehicle being disabled is a mitigating factor, but all in all his attack will be delayed. If we exit immediately after the bomb goes off, we will avoid the rocket," Pandora explained with a gesture to her monocycle.

"I'll ride out on that, circle the disabled vehicle on its west side and take out the RPG and his spotter. You need to dismount left and get behind this bus stop here-it will mask you from the sniper. Take out the riflemen here and here while I enter FIST's compound and dump my monocycle here. You then move inside the compound's wall here and lay down covering fire in this direction. I'll be able to eliminate the sniper. That should result in sufficient casualties to drive off the remaining CROW operatives, and by this point FIST's quick reaction force should be pouring into the parking lot. Do you have any questions, sir?" Pandora's fingers danced across the map as she spoke, deftly outlining her plan to Adam. He looked over her plan once, his mind racing.

"It's a sound plan, Pandora," he replied with a satisfied nod of his head. Though he couldn't see it through her visor, she was beaming with pride. He set the autopilot and the two of them moved to the rear of the vehicle. Pandora mounted her monocycle and checked her assault rifle.

Adam went to where the EMP rifle (more of a shotgun, really) was mounted on the wall and accessed a mobile weapons locker situated below it. He equipped himself with a HAMR (Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle) and quickly attached an enhanced grenade launching module to it. Adam synced the weapon system to his PCG and cycled through various weapon "skins," camouflage designs that can be projected by the weapon system's external computer sensor lattice. He chose "void black," a dark black hue with tiny motes of light, like the starlit void of space.

Adam then put on a magnetorheological fluid combat jacket (MFCJ) and filled its ammo pockets with box magazines and grenades for the EGLM. He also altered the camouflage pattern of the jacket, this one a practical urban design that would match the surroundings at FIST headquarters. Once he finalized his loadout, Adam moved to the ramp release at the rear of the vehicle.

"No helmet?" Pandora asked with concern.

"I've got everything else I'd need to equip someone at the last minute, right? I think Senator Judas still has my spare helmet," Adam replied, remembering transporting the Canadian senator to FIST HQ in his personal ASV.

Their banter was interrupted by a chime Pandora had set, indicating that they were 200 meters from the entrance to FIST HQ's parking area...and the CROW proximity mine.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

355 23 17
# I will stop publishing my story on wattpad because I'm worried about plagiarism. The world has been destroyed. All that remains is the Ark, and in...
14.3K 1.8K 20
[ONC 2021 WINNER: 3rd place] When a car accident reveals a shocking secret even he didn't know about himself, an android finds himself hunted by his...
100K 8.7K 88
A secret program in the United States seeks to replace human militaries with artificial intelligence-driven machines, but the machines aren't so will...
Wormholes and Wanderlust MisterCantaloupe द्वारा

कल्पित विज्ञान

3.1K 142 13
This story is about the young prodigy Grant Alan, a scholar turned telekinetic, surviving in a strange new world after the colossal science vessel, t...