Professor Layton and the Ange...

Від EffervescentElixir

The highly anticipated new adventure in GentleAaron's series. 'Angel's Prophecy' takes place two years after... Більше

Foreword
Prologue
Part One: The Budding Inspectors
A Trip to America
Missing; presumed Archaeologists
The Sting
The Lavender Greeting
Never Alone
Flight Over London
Time to Celebrate?
So Long, Not Goodbye
Confrontation; Fighting Darkness
Return to the City of Miracles
A Gentleman In Need
Against Impossible Odds
Stumbling
The Turnabout Investigators
The Next Piece of the Puzzle
Mounting the Offensive
Uncovering Secrets
Losing Heart
The Past Never Truly Leaves Us
Clive's Remorse
The Duty of Angels
The Wright Call
The Turnabout Demon - Part One
The Turnabout Demon - Part Two
The Turnabout Demon - Part Four
The Turnabout Demon - Part Five
An Inferno Affair
Part Two: Old Faces
The Angel's Message
The Turnabout Demon - Part Six
The Turnabout Demon - Part Seven
The Turnabout Demon - Part Eight
The Turnabout Demon - Part Nine
The Turnabout Demon - Part Ten: Revelations and Farewells
Fear on the Mind
The Angel's Pursuit
Into a Trap?
The Angel's Prophecy
The Closely Held Feelings
The Final Puzzle: Eye of Terror
Thames' Up
Steel and Fire; Fangs and Wings
A World at Odds
Thoughts Unwavering
The Bell Tolls
Hershel and Luke
The Season's Promise
A New Era
Epilogue
Afterword
Coming Soon - New Project!!!
Last Update!

The Turnabout Demon - Part Three

225 11 5
Від EffervescentElixir

-Fourteen Months Ago -

--The Previous Day--

Their next destination was the Los Angeles Police department, so once they bid farewell to Natalie – the web of fear once more infesting her mind Hershel had noted – they bustled off there quickly. Phoenix remarked upon their arrival of how familiar this place was, yet how strange it was to have to expose another corrupt officer of the law, after Damon Gant. Once inside, they asked for Gumshoe, and were pointed in the direction of the restrooms. After pushing through into the men's, and then the ladies, they finally found Gumshoe, hunched over a toilet, plunger in hand, looking as miserable as a rainy day.

"Wright buddy!" he beamed, standing to embrace the attorney before remembering what he was holding.

"Hey Gumshoe," Phoenix chuckled, eyeing the apron the Detective was wearing. "I see you're... What are you doing?"

"Oh this?" the Detective laughed weakly. "Chief Brand thought the toilets needed a scrubbing."

"That's what cleaners are for," Phoenix commented, scratching the side of his head.

"Yeah, I know bud. I guess I got the short end of the stick."

Luke, a feisty rage festering inside, stepped forward then, finger waggling in protest.

"The Chief has no right to make you clean toilets! You are an officer of the law, and you should be out there solving crimes!"

Luke crossed his arms, huffing and protruding his chest.

"Oh I agree with you, little man," Gumshoe sighed. "There's nothing to be done about it though."

Phoenix stepped closer to his friend, his voice ominously low.

"Come on, tell me Gumshoe. What's going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Hershel approached the two, face as stern and sharp as a jagged cliff.

"I know what the matter is. Brand is aware that Gumshoe knows too much. He is demeaning him, burying him underneath busywork to push him away from challenging him. This is a display of his power. He has made the Detective too afraid to even stand up against him."

Gumshoe shrank then, head held low.

"Is that true?" Phoenix asked, resting a hand on Gumshoe's shoulder. The Detective said nothing, and remained silent. Luke looked to Alexandros, the boy who stood behind them all, defeated and depressed, and then to the Detective. There was enough moping he had decided, not aware that he was suffering just the same. Only he had been around the Professor enough to gain the courage to stand up against injustice.

"You need to be brave," Luke urged. "You need to stand up against Brand, otherwise he'll keep pushing you around forever."

"Luke is right," Phoenix muttered. "You can't allow that. But there is something you can do."

Gumshoe finally looked up, meeting his friend's eyes. He saw a reflection in them, the pitiful man he was.

Phoenix continued.

"You can fight. In tomorrow's trial, you can testify. I know you're afraid, but you've done it before. You know you can do it. Only then will this insanity end and you can go on with your life." A long pause, and then Phoenix let out a long sigh before speaking once more, in a lighter tone. "What do you say?"

Still, Phoenix was met with a hesitant gaze.

"You've seen how much I've grown Gumshoe. You've seen me win cases were it looked impossible. I beat Gant, and always it seems that there is nothing I can use. Well it's different this time."

Luke almost leapt on the spot with excitement.

"Exactly! You should see what we've got up our sleeves!"

Gumshoe looked back and forth between the exuberant Luke, and the confident Phoenix, and his nerves started to disappear. Phoenix drove the point home further.

"Look, I understand why you're so nervous about this. This is Auriolus. The massive corporation that no one dares touch. That's because those that have had met with less than pleasant circumstances. But now we can expose Costillos Monriel for the criminal he really is."

"I guess I trust you, bud, but-"

"What's more, we've got the brilliant Professor Layton on our side. If you don't have faith in me, have faith in me."

Gumshoe frowned.

"Hey, I have faith in you, sure pal. Don't sell yourself short. And you're right. I shouldn't worry. Not with the Professor and his peppy sidekick here. And not with you either. I can do this!"

The group cheered with delight, and even Alexandros allowed a hint of a smile to creep its way onto his face. It was there but for a moment, but it was enough for Hershel to notice it. He grinned at Alexandros and the boy blinked nervously before letting the smile widen. Now caught in cheers, they had their witness and he believed in them. As the seconds passed, things grew brighter for this case – that at one point, would have scared off even the hardiest of attorneys. Not Phoenix though. He believed in his friends. They could do this.

No, not could. They would do this.

*****

--The Next Day—

Gumshoe still had the whisper of hesitance as he was escorted into the courtroom, and taken to his place in the witness stand, but mostly a smile seemed to be pushing its way through. It finally emerged as his eyes found a grinning Phoenix, and further behind him, a cheering Luke, Hershel offering a nod by his side. The timid boy even found a smile. Faith in your friends, Gumshoe thought warmly to himself. Have faith in them.

*****

--The Previous Day—

"There sure are a lot of scandalous documents here," Gumshoe murmured, taking a bite out of his turkey sandwich. He was sitting with the others at a bench that was a little further away than the others. He struggled against the wind to hold the letters steady. It was, of course, too risky to show him the stolen Brand letters in the police station, so the group had headed for a nearby park – well actually, they were walking past it when Gumshoe ushered them all into it, boasting of this little sandwich stand that made the 'best park stall sandwiches in this part of the town'.

Hershel had refused the offer of one, but brought one for both Luke and Alexandros. Alexandros shook his head at the suggestion, but his growling stomach brought short his objection. Luke laughed then, speaking in between mouthfuls.

"Can't deny your stomach. You're lucky. I might have taken your sandwich. These are so yummy!"

As his took a big bite, finishing off the last scrap of his sandwich, he turned back to Gumshoe, who was still pouring over the letters.

Phoenix brushed off the last bite of his sandwich and nodded at Gumshoe.

"Any one of these letters could deal a massive blow to Brand. We need to check for one written on the same day as the day Costillos visited the Ranger station."

"Why's that?"

"Think about it," Phoenix stated, grabbing a document and pointing at a date in the corner. "Dates say a lot. There's a chance tomorrow that Costillos will claim he was busy. If we counter his claim with a letter that says otherwise..."

Gumshoe's face lit up with understanding.

"That's brilliant! Always got smart ideas, hey pal?"

He winked and nudged Phoenix, who only laughed and shook his head.

"I'd like to claim the idea was mine, but it was actually Luke's."

Gumshoe glanced over at Luke and nodded.

"For a second I thought you'd say it was the Professor's."

Hershel spoke then in a firm tone.

"Certainly a similar sentiment struck my mind, but it is most splendid that the idea sprang from Luke's mouth. He is ever growing into the detective by the day. I can only claim some of the responsibility, but really it is his blooming as a human being. I've always said he will make a fine gentleman."

Luke blushed, glancing over at the grinning Layton.

Gumshoe congratulated Luke but then his brow wrinkled in new concern.

"But these letters are only photocopies. No one will believe they're real."

Phoenix moved a little further away then, scratching at the back of his head.

"Well here's the thing," he laughed, his eyes closed with the information he was about to share. "We're gonna need the originals."

Gumshoe sighed and shook his head.

"Well that'll be impossible. Brand never leaves his office. It's like he's glued to his chair after that stunt you pulled the other day."

Phoenix glanced over at the others and back at Gumshoe.

"That's where you come in again."

And at once, the Detective's stomach dropped.

*****

--The Next Day—

"The judge, myself and Mr. Wright are familiar with the next witness," Edgeworth remarked to the courtroom. "However, for the benefit of others, and to follow court proceedings, I shall introduce him. Please state your name and profession."

Gumshoe gulped before answering. He was confident, certainly, but even so he knew how intimidating it was being the centre of attention like this.

"Dick Gumshoe. Detective."

"And Detective Gumshoe, I suppose you have some damning evidence that contradicts Mr. Monriel's claim that he was not at the Los Angeles National Park that day?"

"Well, uh..." Gumshoe gulped once more, eyes darting about. He once more saw the support of his friends and let his smile grow into something more. "Yeah. Yeah I do."

The courtroom was rife with murmurs and pointed accusations. That the Detective was lying. That he couldn't possibly have such evidence. Luke tried to shush the naysayers around him, but the Professor simply shook his head and gestured towards the judge, who of course, had brought down his gavel to silence the court.

"I would ask for some silence," the judge ordered. More grumbled really. He was sick of the constant interruptions. He gave the court a look that suggested 'Try me one more time' and that was met with still expressions. Good, he thought with pride. They respect me.

"The court will now hear the account regarding evidence that challenges Mr. Monriel's. Mr. Gumshoe, please regale us with the events that shall bring us closer to the truth."

Seeing Gumshoe falter slightly once more, Phoenix faced his old pal Gumshoe. His eyes told the Detective that he would be fine. Despite the ominous presence Costillos presented, Gumshoe was a Detective after all, and there was nothing to fear. They would bring this man down.

"Right." Pulling at his ear, he allowed the events of that day to come flooding back into his mind. The day where Costillos claimed to be out at lunch. Now he could shut down that lie completely.

"Well it was around lunchtime: eleven-thirty to be precise, when everyone else was going out on their break. I was heading out myself when the chief stopped me and told me to get him some coffee.

"After that, he left me alone in his office while he went to the bathroom. On his desk sat a bunch of documents, and when he came back, he told me to file them in his cabinet. As I was doing it – and he munched away at a scone and drank his coffee – one letter fell out and I saw it was addressed to Costillos Monriel. It was about how Mr. Monriel was going to visit the National Park and force the ownership of it to him – something about the land being perfect for some energy plant or something. I didn't see more as the chief caught me and sent me off."

Gumshoe bowed his head at the end, sighing to have finally gotten that information off of his chest. It was only as he looked up that he saw the bedazzled expressions on the faces of the judge and Edgeworth. Phoenix knew the information of course, but seemed a little embarrassed.

"I suppose..." Gumshoe murmured. "I should have added that the chief didn't leave his office that day. Not until he was off duty that evening..."

Edgeworth processed the information and then glanced over at Phoenix. I hope you know what you're doing, Wright, he silently brooded. Things have been going your way so far, but Costillos is a powerful man. You'll need more than just luck.

"Yes," the prosecutor stated, blinking once. "That helps. I suppose Wright can support your claims. I admit, I find this scathing letter to be rather suspicious."

"Utterly ridiculous," snapped Costillos, saying no more and simply smirking as the judge glared at him to remain silent. He could play the game.

Phoenix brought his fist down onto the bench before him.

"Hold it! Of all people, Detective Gumshoe can't be said to be a liar. Not only is he under oath, but he is a sworn officer of the law. To claim falsehoods would undermine everything he stands for."

Edgeworth tutted and shook his head.

"Regardless, even an officer of the law isn't incorruptible. Not all men are as honest and righteous as you hope, Wright. Whilst I certainly don't think Mr. Gumshoe a man of ill-intent, it is not impossible for him to lie. Only the hard truth will resolve this matter."

"You're right," Phoenix nodded. "And the hard truth is what I shall bring."

The judge, once again marvelling at the display between these two men before him, kept a proud grin and wiped away a forming tear.

"Confidently said, Mr. Wright. You may now cross-examine the witness."

"Right, your honour."

Phoenix usually skipped some statements unless he had no other course of action. With all the evidence he had gathered, skipping wasn't the case this time.

*****

-The Previous Day-

"So you left it unlocked?" Phoenix asked, recalling how the dog, Bruno had retrieved the letters for Hershel and Luke the other day. Gumshoe stared through to the window of Elrand Brand, the thin shutters only allowing slivers of the inside room to be observed. Phoenix, Hershel and Luke stood a little further behind. Alexandros even further, head swivelling in case someone noticed their suspicious behaviour.

"Yeah."

"So it shouldn't be a problem getting back into it?"

"Well sort of," Gumshoe sighed. "But even if I get them, we can't use them as evidence if they're stolen."

The Chief's office was situated at the front of the building, to the right, and so the group had simply to peak in through the windows to see if the chief was situated within. The sun was starting to make its descent down, and in a few short hours, it would be stretching into night. As it was, there was a splendid golden hue that blanketed the grass and cast cool shadows across the place. Hershel smiled as the sun embraced him warmly. The sunny Los Angeles weather certainly made for a nice change from the ever-gloomy London weather.

"Yes," Phoenix said with a hint of glee in his voice, a hint that he was holding something back. "We're well aware of that. But we don't intend to steal them."

It was Luke who elaborated. Gumshoe glanced down nervously as the eager boy stepped forward, hands on hips.

"The chief is going to hand them right over to us!"

Gumshoe did a double take.

"I'm sorry... Hand them over? Just... hand them over? You must be kidding, pal."

Luke shook his head and Hershel explained now.

"Not knowingly of course. However, if it were an accident, we can hardly be blamed of stealing. Especially if no complaint is filed before the trial tomorrow."

Gumshoe absorbed that bit of information, but stretched his neck in uncertainty.

"What makes you think he won't find out by then?"

Hershel's grin extended.

"The letters are all written once a week, on a Friday. The end of the week marks the time for future plans to be laid between the devious chief Brand and Costillos. Today is a Thursday, so he shall not check his past letters until tomorrow..."

Gumshoe finished off the sentence.

"By which point, it will already be too late."

Understanding lit in his eyes and the others saw it.

"I guess..." he gulped. "I guess it could work. But... how is this going to happen?"

"Simple," Phoenix cut in, stepping towards the Detective as he handed him a folder. Gumshoe opened the folder to find the letters, except they weren't exactly the same. Something was off, like the ink used to write the letters was faded. Then he realised that these were copies. And understanding once more came flashing in.

"You want me to... to make a switch?"

"That's the easy part," Phoenix said with a nervous quiver in his voice – a quiver not unnoticed by the Detective. "The hard part is getting a little more evidence."

"Little more?"

Hershel elaborated.

"Whilst the letters certainly are our most important means of defeating Costillos, we need additional pieces of documentation which shall prove that these letters are not fake. As well as information that coincides with what you shall testify tomorrow morning."

"I see..."

Hershel comforted the pale-faced Detective then as he rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Fear is what is tripping you, Detective. Simply act natural, and you shall obtain the necessary evidence needed."

Gumshoe nodded but was still hesitant.

"I can't just do what I want in there. I'm not that high ranking."

"Maybe not," Hershel agreed. "But you are still a Detective, and one that has free reign over much of the station. If you are somewhere you should not be, then you must simply act as if you should be there, and no one shall blink an eye."

Gumshoe swallowed, assuredness in his eyes now.

"I get what you mean, bud. To blend in is to not stand out. If I look as if I know what I'm doing, I'll blend right in, unnoticed. Alright, now I feel pumped up. I've got this!"

Before the Professor could say another word, the Detective was off, charging into the station. It was only as the doors closed that the Professor could mutter what he was going to add.

"In theory."

*****

Inside the station, Gumshoe thought he'd get the easiest part done first. Or was it the hardest?

Stopping before the door of the chief's office, he inhaled deeply and then let out a long sigh.

"Here we go..."

As he knocked on the door, there was a tension in the air that bit. As the seconds of nothing passed by, it was only then that he realised he had no plan. How was he going to simply strut in and switch the files over?

Finally there came the sharp sound of the chief, tinged with impatience.

"What is it? Come in!"

Letting out one more sigh, Gumshoe pushed through into the office, trying his best to act confident. He kept the folder placed rather inconspicuously by his side and then made his way towards the chief, angling his body so that the folder was even more out of the chief's line of sight.

"Chief," he murmured, his smile wavering.

"Gumshoe. What do you want?"

"Uh... I... Uh..."

"Spit it out!" the chief barked, startling the Detective. Still he remained tongue-tied, feeling that this would all be over before it begun. Gumshoe watched as the dog, Bruno's ears rose and then it seemed as if the dog was watching him carefully. The chief's eyes started to wonder down towards the folder. With precious seconds left, Gumshoe burst out the first thing he could think of.

"I have some documents to file away."

Brand's eyes arched and his eyebrows formed pointed daggers. Gumshoe glanced away, ignoring Bruno as he hurried to the window.

"What documents? I didn't ask for-"

"Well sir, you see, I was given these by uh... a man from Auriolus. He said these were to be filed away immediately."

Gumshoe grimaced at the pitiful lie. He might as well have said that the President gave him these letters for all it mattered. He prepared himself for the inevitable scolding. Instead, Brand's intense gaze seemed to soften and he slouched a little more in his chair.

"Hand them over."

Gumshoe bit his tongue. This was bad. Worse than bad. What was he going to do?

What had seemed inconsequential to Gumshoe now proved quite the opposite. Bruno, at the window, began to bark. It was startling at first, but as it grew, the chief turned from his seat and ordered Bruno to stop. When he showed no signs of stopping, Brand rose from his chair and moved to tame the dog. Gumshoe saw his chance and leapt upon it. Within seconds he had the cabinet open – thankful it was still unlocked – and he found the letters quickly. Switching them over, he managed to close the cabinet and resume his place before Brand flew back into his seat, whacking the poor mutt over the ears. As Bruno hurried away, whimpering, Gumshoe held the folder behind his back.

"What are you doing here again, Detective?"

Gumshoe couldn't believe it. He knew the chief's memory could be quite iffy sometimes, but now of all times.

"I uh... You wanted me to get you something...?"

Closing his eyes, certain the chief wouldn't buy it, he was once again surprised as there came a satisfied murmur.

"Ah, that makes sense. Yes, I do feel rather peckish." His eyes widened in gleeful delight. "I know! I want some pretzels. The big kind. There is this wonderful pretzel stand not ten blocks from here. Bring me that now!"

Sighing internally, Gumshoe nodded fervently and then turned, retreating from the room with speed. As the door began to close, the chief cried out one more instruction.

"And clean my room when you get back. My bin is getting rather full."

Only when the door closed with a satisfying click behind him did the Detective let out a sigh of relief. As he slumped against the door, he almost jumped with surprise as another officer approached him.

"Chief got you working your butt off?"

Gumshoe swallowed and then nodded.

"Yeah... You know how it is."

The officer shook their head mournfully.

"Emptying his bin I heard. Fetching pretzels? You should tell the chief that you deserve some respect. Then again, it would take a brave soul to argue with the chief..."

Shaking their head once more they left, Gumshoe offering them a timid smile. After a second, he realised he was wasting time and he turned away, heading for the security room. There was sure to be some footage there that could help.

On his way, he recalled dates in his head, gritting his teeth as he forgot what the letters said. If only I had them now, he thought with sorrow. Then he realised and hit himself. Taking the letters out, he scanned the dates and nodded. This would be easy.

Once inside the security room, he froze as he almost collided with another officer.

"What are you doing in here?" the burly looking woman commented.

"I uh... I've got a lead on a case I'm working. I need to check some footage."

The officer seemed to weigh the Detective's words in her mind before she finally nodded and walked on, leaving him in peace. Gumshoe silently thanked the universe for his luck and then fell into the chair, scrolling back to the most important date. That of the day Costillos visited the National Park. The Professor had brought up the possibility that Costillos would use the excuse of being somewhere with the chief. With security camera footage showing otherwise, Costillos' credibility would fall that much further.

Copying the files over, everything from that day, Gumshoe felt a little better. It really was easy.

A cough from behind him caused him to jump. Turning around slowly, he looked up into the eyes of a shadow. It was Chief Brand.

*****

--The Next Day--

Phoenix had all the footage he needed. Even so, he had to press the advantage home first.

"So," he stated, defiant eyes aimed at the ever-snug Costillos, before turning back to face Gumshoe. He pressed the first statement. "You say you were there at eleven-thirty. Is there proof?"

"You know there is, pal..."

Phoenix sighed in exasperation and shook his head. He quickly murmured to Gumshoe.

"I know that, but I want to put on a good show. What fun would it be if we just showed them all the footage and that was that?"

"Ah... I suppose you're right."

Edgeworth grew impatient.

"I believe the rest of the room would like to hear the witnesses' response, not just yourself, Wright."

Phoenix waved away Edgeworth's concerns.

"Don't worry. He'll explain."

He nodded at Gumshoe, the Detective responding with a nod of his own, brimming with confidence.

"Well, there is video evidence, but you can ask anyone there that day, I was at the station. Same time every day."

Edgeworth raised an eyebrow.

"Regardless of your regular schedule, we need a little more to go on than just 'I'm always there that time of day'."

Phoenix moved onto the next statement as way of a response.

"You say the Chief stopped you then. Is there anyone who could support that claim?"

"Well-"

His patience tested, Edgeworth sighed.

"I tire of this jesting. You have already claimed to have video evidence. Show us then."

The judge murmured his agreement.

"Indeed," he said. "Please hand over these tapes."

Almost reluctant as his performance was cut short, Phoenix offered a curt nod and handed over the tapes. As the first one was inserted, there came a static buzz and the court waited. And waited. A minute passed and then eyes glanced around, fingers twitching in uncertainty.

Costillos had had enough.

"Is this some kind of joke?!" he snapped. "They claim to have video evidence, and yet that claim has fallen flat. They have nothing."

Phoenix, his arms planted firmly to the desk, almost glued there, felt his stomach shrink a little.

"Try another tape."

As they inserted the next, thirty seconds showed the same result. And as the third and final tape was inserted, it was clear there was an issue here. In response to the silence, Costillos erupted into hallow laughter.

"Oh this is brilliant," he whooped, wiping away an imaginary tear. "They really do have nothing. Please, arrest me on such incontrovertible evidence."

The judge didn't bring down his gavel, but silenced Monriel with a stern gaze.

"Please, Mr. Monriel, control yourself." He turned away, scratching at his beard. "However, he does have a point. Without these tapes, I'm afraid you have no evidence which proves that Mr. Monriel wasn't where he said he was."

Phoenix felt it all slipping away beneath him. This had been one of his best cases yet, despite what the odds first showed. So far he was doing swimmingly – a contrast to many cases of the past. And now... Now it was turning out just like the rest: brimming with disaster.

Hershel and Luke glanced at each other nervously, stuck in uncertainty. Was this really the end?

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

2.3K 47 8
Future Luke x Reader Warning: it contains massive spoilers from "Professor Layton and the Lost Future". The story "Innamoramento" (current chapter 2)...
120 12 8
Henry Ledore x Reader Warning: the story contains massive spoilers from "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask". An old Reader-Insert I have been wan...
3.6K 171 7
The is now a SAMPLE ONLY. The story will continue EXCLUSIVELY on AnyStories. "Hello little one" came a booming voice, deep and sultry that made my s...
8.8K 212 16
INCOMPLETE******** Tobias Eaton AKA Commander Four is tasked to investigate a woman suspected to have connections with a rebel group. The only way fo...