My Enemy, My Mate (Complete)

De KrisBlack

On her twenty-first birthday, Rosemarie (Romy) meets the man who will change her life forever - her one and o... Mai multe

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten - A
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve - A
Chapter Twelve - B
Chapter Thirteen - A
Chapter Thirteen - B
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue
Author Update:
Feedback/Advice

Chapter Ten - B

21K 924 49
De KrisBlack

As Christmas and Boxing Day flew by, I found myself staring at the calendar more and more.

Less than a week.

I had less than a week left with Jackson and the rest of the pack that I felt I now belonged to. I wouldn't let the sins of the father reflect on the daughter. I refused to be the catalyst that caused so much heartbreak and warfare. A lot of the Merphate and Cardaver packs didn't have fathers or grandfathers because of my own father's selfish pride and jealousy. It wouldn't happen again. Not because of me.

Jackson walked into the kitchen to find me holding a glass of water and glaring at the calendar on the wall.

"I wish you wouldn't do that. Time won't reverse by glaring at the poor calendar," he was trying to be light hearted. I couldn't bear it when my heart felt like it was being weighed down by a one tonne anvil.

I slammed my glass down on the counter, splashing some of the water onto the counter and looked at him.

"We have three days left, Jackson. Three days until I have to go back there!"

He didn't hesitate to come around the counter and pull me into a fierce hug. I grabbed onto his shirt, wrinkling it under my fists as I held onto him for dear life, as if I would be physically ripped from his arms.

"I'm not sending you back with your father," he said softly into my hair. So softly, I almost thought I hadn't heard it.

"What?" I asked, pulling back slightly.

"I'm not sending you back to that pack knowing what they could, what they will, do to you. Your father claimed to have loved my mother and look where that got her – dead! No, I couldn't possibly hand you back over to him, Romy. You're my mate. My whole life is to protect you."

"Your life is your packs'. What about them? What would happen to them?" I reasoned.

He just looked down at me, enflamed. His nostrils flared in anger. I knew that I was talking more to his Alpha Wolf protecting his mate than Jackson, leader of the Merphate Pack.

"I'm not giving you to him! You're my mate, you're my wife!" He harshly shout-whispered.

I put my hand against his cheek. My anger left me as his had flared up. He needed me to be calm to calm him. He needed to listen to reason. Maybe we both needed a healthy dose of that.

"There is nothing we can do. We are leaders. The good of the many will always come before the good of us two."

His eyes darkened and he grabbed my hand from his face, holding it tightly. His cheek flexed as his jaw tightened.

"We leave. I will step down as Alpha and become a rogue. Then, if your father attacks the Merphate Pack it is unprovoked and he will be seen to by the tribunal. We can run around the world if we have to, but I won't sacrifice you for anyone, Romy. You are too important to me."

I closed my eyes and took a long, deep breath.

"You are the best Alpha I have ever known, Jackson. You can't leave these people."

"Will would also be a great Alpha. I trust him with my life."

We wasn't going to let this go. He was convinced to keep me at all costs and I was convinced I wasn't worth it. My life was no more important than anyone else's. Especially not anyone in this wonderful pack. So, instead I said nothing.

"I am going to announce to the pack that we got married." He said. "On New Year's Eve at the party after you come down so we can tell them together and that we are leaving. Then, I can hand over the reins to Will."

I pressed myself to him and encircled my arms around him. He must have thought I was agreeing when he did the same. He didn't know that I was hugging him goodbye.

------------------------------------------

I stayed until New Year's Eve. I couldn't bring myself to leave before that. I knew I would be breaking Jackson's heart just as assuredly as I knew I was breaking my own.

It was a bittersweet day for both of us. He thought today was going to be the day that our marriage was made public and then he would step down from his position as Alpha. I knew that today I could possibly get exactly what I wanted, Jackson, at the expense of the pack losing a great leader.

Instead, I was going to leave forever. I tried to memorize the whole house in my mind, the feeling of being here. Hopefully it would help me on the dark days to come.

I never pretended to be a great actress. Jackson noticed something was off with me.

"I'm just nervous about tonight," I admitted and I was. Just for a wholly different reason than he thought.

"Don't worry about it Romy. Everything will work out in the end." He kissed my forehead.

I nodded and closed my eyes, relishing in his lips on my skin. Knowing the lie that spilled out of my mouth next would put the nails in my coffin.

"I was wondering if I could take a car and go into town to buy a new dress for the party tonight."

He frowned, forehead furrowed.

"I wish you wouldn't. It is close to the cut-off date that your father gave us and I don't want him or his pack doing anything rash. If you do go, please take someone with you."

"I will." I smiled so brilliantly I thought for sure he could see the falsity right through it. "I think I might go while you are working so you don't miss me too much."

"I always miss you, Love," he said and kissed my lips and handed me one of his credit cards for the dress. I took it gently and enveloped him in a hug.

"I just want to let you know that I love you. You are the absolute best husband and mate in the world."

He pulled back and gave me a smug grin.

"And you are the sweetest wife, once you have a credit card in hand."

I laughed and hit him on the arm lightly. He patted my butt and pranced out of our bedroom. As soon as he was in his office and out of hearing range I collapsed on the floor into tears. That was the last time I would see Jackson.

I composed myself as much as possible and washed my face free of tears. I had things that I had to do.

I quickly wrote Jackson a note and left it on his bedside table. He would be working for a couple of hours and by the time he realized I was gone it would be too late. I explained why I had left and not to come after me, no matter what. The pack needed him. I left his credit card beside the note.

I removed my necklace holding my rings. I wouldn't risk having them taken from me by my father. They were safer with Jackson. Especially his mother's wedding band. I placed them on top of the note and signed it with "forever"; the inscription on my wedding band.

I pulled the drawer of the bedside table open and looked down at the picture. Bill had sent us a picture of us on our wedding day that he had taken. It was beautiful and we were so happy. It was hard to believe it was only a short week ago.

I threw on some half-decent clothes and marched out of the room as if nothing were wrong, determined not to break down again until I reached my destination. Maybe not even then. Show no weakness to your enemy, Romy, my father had always said.

I grabbed the keys to one of the smaller cars in the garage and marched out the front door. Taking someone with me had never been my intention. I pulled out of the driveway as discreetly as I could before speeding into the city.

I parked the car in the parking lot at The Globe and then went inside and told them that I found the keys in the parking lot and asked them to return them if they found out who they belonged to. I hailed a taxi with what little money I had left in my pocket. I had them take me to the edge of my father's territory. He looked a bit worried to be leaving a young woman in the middle of nowhere but said nothing as he took off.

I took a deep breath. If I was going to back out now was the time. I could return to the Merphate Pack and be welcomed back with open arms as though nothing had happened. Then I thought of the death that I would bring to that same pack. With that in mind, I shifted and ran deep into the forest towards my childhood home.

The Cardaver New Year's Eve party was in full swing when I arrived, to my benefit. My father would at least have to wait until the guests left to bludgeon me to death for escaping in the first place.

I didn't bother ringing the doorbell. Who rings the doorbell at their childhood home? Or their prison? The guests in the hallway all turned to look when I slammed the door behind me. An immediate hush stifled the holiday cheer and laughter.

"Daddy, I'm home!" I yelled sarcastically, pulling the jacket I had found in the pack's emergency clothing stash tighter around my shoulders. I wasn't shivering from the cold though.

The people who had gathered to look at me (my former pack mates) parted ways as someone pushed their way through them. I braced myself for impact until I saw Brendan push past the last person, his blonde hair glistening in the lighting. He rushed toward me, engulfing me in a hug. I stiffened from the sudden touch and waited for him to let me go.

"We were all worried about you, Rosemarie!" He said to me and I raised my eyebrow at him. This party looked like it housed the most worried people on the planet. Note the sarcasm.

I couldn't imagine Jackson was revelling in a party right now. My heart panged painfully at the thought of him and what he was going through right now.

"Your father told us that the Merphate Pack had abducted you."

"Oh, did he now?"

"Of course, Rosemarie. We were all very worried about you." My father's voice broke through the crowd as he made his way to the doorway.

"So I have heard." I replied dryly trying to keep up my brave face. I inadvertently reached out and grabbed onto Brendan's arm. There was no way my father would do anything with Brendan around.

My mother ran over to me and hugged me tightly. All of this hugging was throwing me off balance and coating me in Cadarver scent. I glared at my father in warning. If he took one step to fake-hug me I would not hesitate to kick him straight in the balls.

"How about we take this happy reunion up to your room, Rosemarie. I am sure you just want to settle in and forget everything that happened." My father motioned upstairs.

I stiffened and a strange sense of self-preservation kicked in.

"Brendan should come too, Dad," I said flawlessly. "After all I have missed him."

He shot me a glare but conceded and motioned for everyone else to resume their party activities. He, my mother, Brendan and I all walked upstairs. Only, instead of taking us to my room he lead us to his office and motioned us to sit down on the sofa he had in there.

"Welcome back, darling," he drawled. "I hope the Merphate Pack didn't treat you with too much hostility."

"Not at all. My time there was surprisingly pleasurable," I retorted.

"Well, I am glad to hear it," my mother patted my hand softly. "When your father told me they had the traitor Phil kidnap you for leverage against us I almost tried to go and get you back by myself."

I bit my tongue. Oh my God. She honestly had no idea what was happening here. I looked over to Brendan who looked equally as ignorant. My father was feeding them false information and they just ate it up without thought. I opened my mouth to correct them, but one stern look from my father caught in my throat.

What could they do against their Alpha? Why make my punishment more severe?

"Oh dear, you look pale." My mother tutted and placed her hand against my forehead. "You have had a hard month. Let's take you to your bedroom and get you settled."

I nodded my head, anxious to get away from my father for now at least.

"I'll see you tomorrow," my father said, letting it hang in the air.

I let my mother lead me out of the office and towards my bedroom. She opened the door for me and let me pass. It looked the exact way I had left it. New silver bars lined the window, blocking me from escape.

"Your father had new silver bars put on the window. You'll be safe in here, I promise." She smiled. "Have a good night, darling."

She shut the door and left. A few minutes later I could smell Gary walk by, locking my door and me inside the room in the process. I was officially a prisoner of my father again.

----------------------------------

Please remember to share and vote!

Also, check out the Pinterest Board:

https://www.pinterest.com/kris_black1/jackson-romy/  

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

1.4K 188 34
When the Winter Moon Pack Alpha asks an abused human girl to join him, she finds herself helping him chase a murderer intent on killing all of the wo...
732 24 18
After her sister died she was forced to grow up. To prepare for a title she never wanted and fulfill the expectations of her pack. As much as Samanth...
189 1 16
Rosey goes through a hardship when her family is gone and she is just turning 18. She learns not everything was what it seemed. Mark is a bad boy and...
140K 1.6K 27
~Formaly The story of a werewolf and his mate~ Sapphire was just a normal 17 year old in high school until her 18th birthday when she discovers a hug...