𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎...

Da MerryJane8

(ᴠᴀʀɪᴏᴜs sᴀɴs ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴀᴘʏʀᴜs ᴀᴜs x ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ) ||ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ ɪ ɢᴏ ᴀɴᴅ sᴘᴏɪʟ ɪᴛ ᴀʟʟ ʙʏ sᴀʏɪɴɢ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ "ɪ ʟ... Altro

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
¿neppah siht did woH
Chapter 7
rewsnA
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
(.uoy tpecxe) evol dnif nac ydobynA

Chapter 12

62 6 8
Da MerryJane8

> ᴛᴡᴏ sʜᴏᴛs ᴏғ ᴠᴏᴅᴋᴀ

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯."

The foundation was built on trust all those years ago. It stood firm and tall, as burning memories faded into the air like the cigarette smoke between your lips. The blueprints of the past, the scaffolding of the hopes and dreams since you were a child, holding itself up until its last breath. However, with the state of the sanctuary you took refuge in, it was the saddest thing you've ever seen.

It took you a million years to return and a million more to step foot in its toothy mouth, waiting to swallow your naïve SOUL whole. Although it was now a chaotic wreck, the lingering SOULs still made their routes. They wonder aimlessly as you stand close, re-enacting the former glory days, blinded in their ignorance. Silhouettes of familiar faces phase through you without a second thought. A chill runs down your spine, the sins of the old house violating your exposed skin.

The more you ventured, the more the house was calling to you. The halls of the empty home still clutched on the essence of life. If you pressed your ear against the worn wallpaper, you could faintly pick up passing conversations. Their voices escape you but you desperately clutch onto them like smoke. Cycling over the years the old house has sustained. Every guest's emotions were like the seasons, everchanging. And somehow you could feel everything, everywhere, all at once.

As you open to a room, time reverted to the old house. It was no longer the lonely shack but a place of warmth and familiarity.

A home.

You were outside, in the park presumably. The birds were singing, the flowers were blooming, a perfect day for a game of catch. The world seemed to dance in oversaturated hues in contrast to the opaque dreariness you normally see before your eyes. The sense wash over you like a comforting blanket. The smell of the grass, the chill winds tickling your arms.

And there you see him, sitting on the same bench.

The man who built the old house, staring right into you with those tired eyes of his. The tuffs of old (H/C) that withheld time, holding memories in his locks with greys. He gazed at you with tired eyes yet again. Your figure shrunk down twice his size, looking up at his wrinkled face like you were a thousand years away.

Of all the years, you still recall the exact details. The face you knew long ago haunted your mind like the plague. You sit and ask yourself if he remembered yours as well or if his memory of you was vague. He wasn't a stranger to the old house, and neither were you the guest. Just two intersecting lines, crossing over each other for one minuscule moment. Only to diverge from each other, descending into the unknown, never to meet again.

His mouth moved like a ventriloquist puppet. It was your mission to find his frequency, turning the knob like a radio transmitter. You can hear the raspy tone in his voice. The drowsy nature when he'd ask you a rhetorical question. He'd go on those strange tangents and mindless ramblings he lectured you with.

"Just promise me you'll be good." He'd softly mummer to your ears. Grape soda in one hand and the other between your hair. It was an amalgamation of empty words, something a child wouldn't understand.

But there was always the glimmer of hope resonating within you that he answers these days. Perhaps you could finally get out of the comfort of loneliness you found solitude in. Stuck in limbo, that ounce of closure you longed for. But your mind needed to erase him from your existence, wanting to forget the old house.

What was better?

To long for the fatherly love your inner child missed out on?

Or to forget the man who left the child to grow up by themselves?

You somehow did both at the same time.

He'll never know that you fell in love in high school. He'll never see the paintings you did of him. He'll never hear about how you moved out to work at a corner store. He'll never know about you wanting to go to art school. He'll never know the child who now changed before his eyes if they were to cross paths again.

He'll never know, because he never answered.

"I miss you." You would say, eye longing for his to observe the tears dangerously close to falling.

"Please come back." You'd whisper, begging for his hand to stroke the top of your head.

* He's not coming back.

You reluctantly turn back, but the image of the house never fades.

In the end, you always wanted to stay in the old house.

But it's best not to return.

✧༺♥༻∞

Red downed another drink, a satisfied sigh leaving his teeth. Another day in Grillby's and another day spent by himself. The hard liquor burned his non-existent throat, using his hoodie sleeve to wipe any excess. Usually Sans would accompany him, but tonight Red found himself wandering off by himself for reasons unknown.

Back in his universe, Grillby's was neutral territory for monsters where they somewhat tolerated each other. Red, however, observed both humans and monsters happily chatting indifferently. He could feel the fire monster's stare by his skull as he idly wiped down another pint. A spitting image of his Grillby, but lacked his purple scorching flames. At least he was as good as it gets.

The restaurant doors swung wide open along with a few friendly monster calls. The name spiked his interest as he craned his head over his shoulder.

The infamous corner store person, strolling in with their wrinkled uniform.

A few dog monsters happily barked ushering to their game of cards. A drunk bunny monster threw in a drunken compliment, yet you sheepishly shook your head, making your way to the front of the counter. He noticed when someone caught your attention, you made sure to respond to every word. Just a small detail he picked up on when he came to bother you at work.

Sooner or later the two of you were in this awkward standoff.

"Hey."

"hey."

You climbed onto the bar stool, eyeing the monster. Surprisingly he kept himself somewhat together, despite the sluggish expression on his face. He lost count after the third one, making sure to put it on Sans' tab instead of his own. He swirled the drink in his hand his red pinpricks on you.

"Jack and coke?" Your lips tug to the side.

"only the best." He replies. "didn't think you'd come in. had a rough day at work or somethin'?" There's that same hostility mannerism, yet you refrained from indulging him further.

"You know how it is." You let out an airy laugh. Things were mundane at work sprinkled with the usual Jessabell antics she gets up to, leading her to the short end of the stick of having the graveyard shift. Red half listened to your story, tracing his bony fingertip along the edge of his glass.

"If you told me you were drinking, you should have invited me earlier." You chuckled, motioning Grillby to pour you a pint with your card on the counter. "You had a rough day too?"

"it was fine." He replied with a dismissive tone.

You could feel the spotlight expose your flaws as you looked between Red and your hands. The fire monster slides a glass of beer your way. An idea pops into your head as you raise your glass to him as he pulls a face.

"Let's forget about today then, next drinks on me."

At that exact moment a mischievous glint phases through his pinpricks, shifting his glum expression away.

"now you're speaking my fucking language!" He yells clanking his drink against yours as you chug it down in mere seconds.

"hey, grillbz! the tab is on them now!"

!!

You thanked the universe you were getting paid.

When the drinks rolled by he offered a bit of his. You recoil in disgust, shoving it back to Red.

"How can you even drink this? What are you, fifty?" Your comment makes him guffaw, swaying his body to the side as he clumsily received it.

"not a heavy drinker then, are ya sweetheart?" He died down to a chuckle leaving you smiling like an idiot as you shook your head.

"Definitely not."

You'd opt to take another swig of your own drink but the skeleton sneakily presses the rim to his teeth as you yelp in protest. You snatch the beverage back. The alcohol burns your throat you recoil in disgust, but you persist, slamming the empty glass on the counter like a soldier.

"Jessabell normally drinks this kind of stuff. This or the classic vodka Red Bull." The memory of her hosting a small get-together at her house flashes. Deadly concoctions of liquor on the kitchen table with a hefty amount of sugary drinks. Most of the time you had to supervise her and her friends before one of them regrets another wave of drunken texts.

"the curly-haired human? she's not to fond of people like me." He mutters.

"She's overprotective sometimes. Sorry about her." You sigh sliding the empty drink away. "She means well, always looking out for me when I look out for her."

"i'm used to it. no drama. same with me and the boss." He shrugs nonchalantly but doesn't miss the concern that passes through your eyes. Despite your look of pity Red managed to bounce back, casually dropping another one-liner your way which you rolled your eyes at.

"anyways. who i'm interested in, however, is you, sweetheart." You stopped mid-sip, batting your eyes as he continued. "what's your deal? like are you just some human? or you hidin' something?" A tinge of offence sparked in your chest. As much as you liked to shake it off, Red still poked holes with his sharp gaze.

"What is there to know? I've told you and everyone else there is about me." You gulp down the last of the liquor. Challenging your defense he leaned close, bumping your arm with his shoulder. You had no idea what he was saying at this point, beyond his squinted eye sockets, but still pestered you with the question even when you answered the best you could.

"like," he burped before clearing his non-existent throat, "you seem average enough, but don't see many humans dodge like that, let alone have that kind of SOUL."

"You saw me and Edge spar?!" Your voice spikes in decibels causing the whole restaurant to freeze. The split second of silence causes you to shrink your head deep into your collar before the music picks up again. You whisper a small apology before rehashing the question.

"words spread fast. don't be embarrassed he kicked your sorry ass."

"It's not fair he's super strong and experienced."

"of course he is! the boss is hella awesome! " He praised. You playfully punched his shoulder defending yourself of your abilities. "but you did leave an impression on him. never seen him actually enjoy a day without his usual edge."

You felt some sort of pride swell in your chest for a brief moment. "But going back to SOULs," you thought back to when you saw a glimpse of the silver heart floating in front of you. The shiny exterior lures you to be wrapped around its iron grasp. "I think Edge mentioned the basics of it. But I'm still not sure about the whole gist of things. Usually your primary trait ties in with you and your personality. Like how each colour represents a SOUL trait?"

"so you do know." He chimes in.

You lick your lips. "Sometimes monsters can change a person's SOUL colour in their attacks according to their magic. Can you do something like that?"

"that's pretty bold of you to ask me something like that, but yeah I can." You blushed. "in an encounter, it's normal to have your SOUL exposed, but in another context..." He caught you off guard, smirking at your unsettled faced. But he waved it off with another teasing antic. Mentioning something along the lines of 'take me to dinner first.'

"So it is a sex thing." You tapped your chin.

"i mean, it's more than that, but In a nutshell, yeah." His suggestive sockets scanned you head to toe. "and sorry sweetheart, you gotta get in line."

"Oh yeah?" This time you leaned close, your eyes wandering to sketch every detail of his drowsy face. Red looks at you with widened sockets, conflicted at your words.

"Maybe not." You wink.

The monster scoffed but his plastered grin seemed genuine towards you.

Red shook his skull. "i honestly thought you had something along the lines of kindness or patience. but now, it's different. i guess that's what i like about you." He seems conflicted in what to say next, turning his skull three-quarters away from you as you're left to pick up the pieces.

"You like me?" You chuckled in disbeleif.

"i like everybody. don't read into it." Red pointed an accusing finger to you with another wave of laughter. "you just happen to draw everyone in your corner store."

A small food for thought. In a short amount of time, this night openef your eyes to new experinces a past version of yourself wouldn't dream of thinking. It terrified you of the sudden change and new faces along the way, but you're okay with that.

You're okay.

"You're lucky I love having you around." You laughed as he shoved you away. You couldn't help but feel giddy inside. Yet, he hoped you'd miss how the colour on his cheekbones darkened for a moment.

But you still wondered what your SOUL represented.

The bar suddenly felt lighter as the lights around you blurred together into one picture. What seemed like an hour was ten minutes as each round of beverages sipped by. The mood had mellowed down to hearty laughter and playful jabs coming left and right, some of which earned you victorious. Grillby took note of the banter, as well as the tab accumulating in the background.

You blamed it all in every mix you drank but wholeheartedly embraced it. Even with the odd sexual tension, both you and Red were in a silent agreement that you both kept it casual. Like old mates who grew up together, Red opened up slowly.

Still hostile if you'd ask him anything personal, but wouldn't gloss over any detail of the other part of his life. And you were there to listen intently. There was one rant that stuck out to you when you dissected his jumbled words, something along the lines of him and two other skeletons. A verbal fight breaking out leading all three of them storming off into the night.

In the end, you could only offer a helping hand. It must be suffocating not having your own space from time to time.

You both ordered another round of drinks, this time four tiny shots of vodka, a pair for the both of you. Like synchronised dancers, both of you flawlessly downed the concoction. Your stoic face slipped through the cracks as you coughed into your arm.

"shit, you okay?" The skeleton patted your back but like a spring you bounced back, nodding your head in reassurance. Already your head pounded with the ambience floating from one ear out the next. You couldn't pick up on anything but the dumb smile growing on your lips as you pounded your chest like a mighty gorilla.

"I feel fucking amazing." You slur out with a dopy smile.

"you're drunk, toots." He replied.

"Says you!" You burped.

"so you have room for another round?" He nudges with mischief. Normally you'd back down in something like that, knowing your limits. But tonight, you thought tonight would be an adventure for you. But instead of just casual drinks, you thought you'd make it interesting, leaving the night with a bang.

"Alright since you're offering. " You began. "But, the last one to finish theirs pays for everything. Deal?"

Grillby came along to pick up the scattered glasses, before observing the heavy tension. Red, being one for a freindly wager, tapped the bar counter. Confidently puffing his chest to meet your tall figure.

"you're fucking on, darling!"

✧༺♥༻∞

The time ticked over when the regular crazed drunks fumbled into the bar, causing a massive scene while spilling over their cheap booze from the liquor store on the floor. There was this one middle-aged man with a heavy Australian accent, yelling nonsense while making intense eye contact with anyone who crossed them. Some of the customers had to shuffle away from how much spit flew from his mouth along with lines of conspiracy theories and how the government was hiding a massive bio-weapon in some foreign country that controlled all space and time connecting to the multiverse. All while he was barefoot.

Thaaat's politics!

It was best to leave Grillby's for the night, not before Red suggested the stupidest idea to you. You thought back that maybe ending the night with six tequila shots and a shot of vodka each was a bad idea. You both ended up in a draw, unable to finish each other's drink. So naturally you'd split the bill, but surprisingly Red still offered to pay for everything. How gentlemanly of him, or rather have some of the tab to Sans' one.

So the two of you headed into the night. Too early to head home, but too late for any stores to open. Your arm around his shoulders whilst his around your back as you zigzagged on the pavement. The cold night tickled your skin, cursing yourself that you missed the warm heat from Grillby. You had to shuffle closer to Red against his warm body.

Why are skeletons always so warm?

"you know (Y/N), i think you're pretty."

"Wh-What?"

"pretty stupid for not bringing a jacket." He laughed as you groaned, rolling your eyes. Another shudder left your trembling lips.

"here." Red pulled away to take off his oversized jacket.

"You sure? I don't wanna be a bother." But that didn't stop him from throwing his jacket to your face. You reluctantly thanked him, throwing it on. A loose fit, reaching right below your waist, the smell of alcohol mixed with mustard and axe body pray wafted under your nose. But the fluffy texture was enough to dig your head into it. You caught the monster gawking at you.

"red suits you." He mummers.

You both left it at that.

Sometimes you'd just laugh at random sights on the empty streets or suddenly ramble on whatever topic raced in your mind. Mainly Red had the elaborate ideas popping into his thick skull every ten seconds.

"hey, (Y/N). let's doorbell ding dong ditch."

"You're twenty-five!"

And yet you found yourself at a stranger's door, pulling at your face with the monster hiding in the bushes nearby. His ecstatic giggling was loud enough for you to shoot him a conspicuous.

With a drawn-out sigh you shakily pressed the doorbell, dread imminently settled in once you heard rushing footsteps your way. You leapt into the bush, with only a few seconds to spare. Red howled with laughter, throwing his head backwards.

"holy shit! i didn't think you'd do it!" You slapped a hand over his mouth, shushing him. His laughter was still muffled as you nervously observed the front door slamming against the wall.

A woman you recognised stomped on her porch. Your breath hitched, today was your death day for sure.

"Ms. Klein!?" Your voice cracked causing Red to slap his hand to your mouth.

The matted hair woman called out in a rage-filled frenzy, dressed in a robe with his fists in the air. "This is the third time this week! If you don't show yourselves now, I'm calling the police!"

You both snapped your head towards each other, matching his white skull with pure agony as the colour drained from your skin. You pulled his hand away with a frightened whisper.

"You've done this three times?!"

He pulled yours away too, rolling his sockets. "not on purpose! it's just a coincidence it happened three times in a row. not my fault most of the houses look the same."

Slapping your forehead wouldn't describe your immense disappointment right now. The banter however swayed Ms. Klein to look in your direction, her beady eyes making eye contact with yours. Like a bull, she sprinted off her porch, throwing her fists like a mad woman.

"You damn troublemakers! I'll find out where you live!"

"shit! shit! we've been spotted!" Red jumped to his feet, making a run for it leaving you to scurry with your tail between your legs Despite your intoxicated state, you focused on not passing out right there and then while Ms. Klein's chalky voice echoed from behind you. You yelped, tripping on your own feet, but you quickly recovered yet she was gaining more ground.

For an old woman, she still had a bit of spunk in her brittle bones.

Cursed your dying lungs as your feet ached as you pushed off the ground. Your head might've fallen off from the wind flying through your face, along with the migraine forming from tonight's events. But you had to keep running, as much as you were trailing behind, you just had to.

Red suddenly stopped dead in his tracks.

"Why's you stop?" You called out in a frantic state. Your head snapping back and forth from what could be your death day.

"(Y/N), hold onto me, okay?"

"Wh-What?" You sputtered in confusion however his expression grew stone cold. You firmly pressed your lips together looking back to see the woman darting your way. You had to trust him, so you held his hand as he pulled you close.

That's when everything went dark.

...

...

...

Dark...

....darker yet darker.

The darkness keeps growing.

You could feel the pressure return to zero as the world disappeared from the soles of your feet. The silence deafening into a zen-like state, like turning off the light switch. There was no end or beginning, nor if your eyes were opened or shut. Just the eternal nothingness greeting you. Weightless, you're floating in the middle of the universe, waiting for the embrace of another.

It's cold here.

It's lonely.

It's quiet.

Too quiet.

But it's safe.

An exasperated gasp attacked your chest as the bright lights entered your eyes, blinding you. Instantly you buckled your feet to meet the ground, but the intense pull of gravity met you to the smooth ground. You heard a distant voice by your ear as you lay heaving your lungs.

Red, panicked and disoriented, knelt by your side. He knew that teleporting was a bit risky, especially with someone intoxicated, but it was either that or a black mark on both of your records. He shouldn't have you deal with any more of his reckless ideas. So he managed to blip by your front door. The single light from the outside harshly blared at the two of you as all the energy was sucked out of him.

Tomorrow he had to deal with a killer hangover, but now he had to make sure you were okay Rushing to your side to shake your shoulders back to the living world. However, past your hazy pupils, you still smiled at him. A trickle of gigle turned into a roar, holding your forehead as your shoulders bounced. He let out a sigh of relief, leaning back on his hands to join in the joyful fit.

You hoped that the neighbours wouldn't walk in seeing two psychopaths manically laughing in the dead of night.

"Did you see her face?" You gasped in between chuckles. "Man, she's going to be so pissed when she comes into the store tomorrow."

"shit, sch— sweetheart," he fumbled again, "you were scared shitless!"

You sprung back onto your feet with a victory smile, helping the shorter red-clad up. "I'm never drinking with you again though."

"aw c'mon, man! you're kidding, right?" He teased.

"Yeah, I am." You patted his back. "But the whole teleporting stuff kinda made me dizzy, I need to sit down."

You rubbed your eyes, finding yourself face to face with your house. It must be convenient just popping in and out of places. But for now, you were grateful that you didn't have to run home like a teenager in an indie movie. You fished for your keys, missing the lock a few times, thanks to the random outbursts of giggles, before unlocking the door.

You stood by the doorway, holding yourself by leaning against the frame. Red shuffled his feet against the floor, holding the back of his neck.

"you probably should head in, it's late." The monster mummers.

"Actually," You but in, "do you want to come in? Stay the night?"

And so you lead him into your bedroom. Red's seen your room a couple of times, always neat and organised. He could small bits of your cologne along with cigarette ash by your sheets. He comfortably laid at the end of your bed with a groan, taking in the sights. On the walls, he saw the vinyls you bought from the morning markets. The middle of the disc was painted over with simple patterns.

"you finally hung them up." He chuckled. You silently looked up admiring your work as you opened your wardrobe. Even if the designs were minuscule, Red couldn't stop staring. You brushed it off, saying you painted whatever was on the top of your head.

You rummaged through your clothes. You carefully used the door to cover yourself as you quickly changed out of your uniform. A simple tank top along with some sweatpants, you kept Red's jacket on your shoulders.

Red climbed out of your bed, digging through the piles of records near your computer. Some of the old bands you used to listen to were covered in dust, along with some obscure indie band he'd never heard of. But one of them caught his socket as he held it up closer to inspect it.

"that reminds me, if you came over to mine i'd show you how to play one of the songs from that album you bought. this one."

In his hand was the work of Jin, Mekakucitydays. You stood next to him, taking the large square into yours as you flipped it on its back. "You listened to him?"

"got curious when you bought it." He shrugged nonchalantly. "he's not bad, got some bangers. my favourite track has got to be Kagerou Days." You felt a smile crawl on the corners of your lips as you handed it back.

"I'd like to hear you play then."

He inserted it back into the pile. You told him he could change into some of the spare clothes you had, already folded by your bedside as you excused yourself to use the bathroom. The clothes you picked out were strange, to say the least, a metal band he recognised. He wondered if some of your past self was waiting to resurface as he threw it on. It is interesting to meet someone whose whole personality flipped the script. Maybe even get along with them.

But Red knew he enjoyed your presence either way. He still couldn't wrap his head around why you invited him over, either to hook up with him or murder him tonight could go anywhere. He just hoped that his drunken state wouldn't spill out any more of his sober thoughts.

He cursed under his breath, kicking his clothes to the side. Another hammer thuds against his skull. With a drawn-out groan, he leaned his spine against your bedframe, rubbing his entire face. The sound of the door closing made his skull switch to you. Two cups of water in hand you gave him one as he murmured out his thanks. Red quickly chugged the drink, leaving a satisfied smile while you slowly sipped yours.

You were a good host, even if you were on the verge of blacking out.

You placed your cup by the bedside table, crawling to the other side of the bed to open the window. He carefully observes you fish out a packet of cigarettes.

"You want one?" You offered a stick to him.

He figured why not, and stuck on between his teeth. Shuffling closer to the window he borrowed your lighter once you were done. Breathing in the smoke to exhale it out to the starry night sky as his mind spun webs around it. He glanced over to you, your eyes focused on the scenery as the city light was just out of reach. He had to force himself not to cough, hitting his ribcage repeatedly.

"Not much a smoker, huh?" You teased.

"fuck off." He spat taking another hit. You only laughed as you flicked the ash away.

"Thanks for tonight by the way."

He raised a non-existent brow. "for what?"

"Just, everything I guess? Sometimes I think you only hang out with me because I'm there and you just want a reaction from me. I hope I didn't bore you." You paused, reaching to play with your hair. "I can't tell if you're being genuine sometimes. Like you act like you wanna be with me, then you don't."

Red remained silent at your words, leaving you to lick your lips in distaste.

"you care if i like you?"

"I need people to like me."

He sighed, drumming his phalanges against the window. Just the way you looked at him made his bones spike, his teeth to chatter against his.

"i already told you you're fine, sweetheart. you didn't have to drink with me but you did. let alone invite me over. i'm kinda grateful for that." He muttered the last bit quietly, unable to meet your curious eyes. "you're actually hard to hate. the only thing that pisses me off is that you're too nice and forgiving. along with that face of yours."

"What face?" He let out a laugh as you cluelessly pulled at your cheeks. You urged for a clear answer but he just shook his head, tapping the leftover ash outside.

"it's just hard behind honest." He confessed, withdrawing his stiff movements. "sometimes it's too much for me."

"What's too much?" You tilt your head.

"i dunno, everything? " He exclaims, "like, this whole living on the surface thing. it's a whole different story with those numbskulls, but me and the boss, we didn't have these kinds of things. livin' in all peace and that shit. it's weird, sometimes even frustrating trying to adjust to things when you're suddenly thrown into whatever this shit is!"

He let out an exasperated sigh, throwing his hands in defeat. You could only throw him a look of pity as he shifted his weight closer to the other side. A chill of the wind crawled up your spine, motioning you to lean closer to him.

"You must miss home. Or at least how things were before when things made sense."

"maybe, just it's all confusing sometimes."

"I get that." You began. "Is that why you do it?"

"do what?"

You made a drinking motion. He rolled his eyes poking fun at you smoking, causing another laughing fit. You take a drag. "For real though, my mother her right hand was always limp, if you know what I mean." You made a glugging sound.

"and your father?"

"He's a smoker. I haven't seen him much growing up." You bite your tongue, scratching behind your ear. He took your reluctance as an answer with a curt 'sorry.'

"I don't talk about them, but I guess they're the reason why I was like that before." You nervously chuckle. "When I first moved here, I didn't know anyone. It was hard to fit in, let alone trust anyone. I was afraid they'd leave me after everything they said. So it was better to live in isolation and rely on myself." The monster listened intently to your words, drinking in every beat.

"It's scary to let people know what's on your mind, so it's easier to let it happen. It's easier to just live with it. Everything gets so much that you're just numb to everything. You let everything good and bad happen. The routine of waking up every day, blocking people out, feeling weird when people try and get closer to me and being hesitant to change. I'm still scared of things changing."

He blinked his sockets in awe calling your name but you stopped him. You took one final drag of your cig and flicked it away, soothing his troubles.

"so what did you do?"

"Well I haven't figured out everything, but it gets easier. With all this change around us, I sometimes forget I have people I can depend on sometimes. Thanks to Jess, she's the one who helped me get the corner store job and find my footing after I got rejected from art school. Even if she can be a bit much, I take her for granted."

You shly avert your gaze elsewhere. "And since the six of you moved in, it's still challenging to adapt. But I found myself doing things I never rethought I'd enjoy. And I think that change can be for the better because I've never enjoyed my life up until now."

You mustered enough courage to look back, dead set on his red pinpricks. "I never told anyone that."

"why would you tell me then?"

"Because I trust you." Red noticed how your cheeks darkened, your fingers twitching by his side to accident graze against his pinky bone.

All this time he thought, the unbothered human at the store to have such heavy feelings. Let alone be seen through the same lenses, what could he say at this moment yet hold it so closely between his fingertips? Talking about your emotions, it made him feel gooey. Yet he still yearned for that connection. He wanted to see the world you painted before you. To feel the sensations through your veins with each heartbeat.

"you're pretty stupid for saying all that mushy shit, sweetheart." You tug your lips. "you at least have the choice to return back to your old home."

The old house.

"I could, but I've learned to like it here. I'm not that person anymore." You spoke seriously, cutting through his words. "If your brother or cousins get too much for you, I'm here. Whenever you need me."

His dots flash with scepticism.

"is that a promise then, sweetheart?"

A genuine paints your face, turning your whole body to face him with the utmost confidence. You lean close to his face, your voice barely above a whisper. His laughter echoed in the night, increasing when you shamelessly covered your face in embarrassment while hitting his shoulder.

Always being too forgiving, too open, too vulnerable.

So why is he not pulling away from your hand?

"I promise you."

He gently takes your hand, interlocking the two of them with a tight squeeze.

You close the window, crawling under the covers already sound asleep as Red follows. Knocked out the moment your head meets your pillow. However, beside you, Red takes a moment to stare at the ceiling as your soft snores fill the room. His mind was drowned out by today's events. He could just pathetically laugh at himself, burying himself in regret but he doesn't tonight. He looks down at the borrowed shirt, before squeezing the fabric between his grasp anxiously before sharing one silent glance to your peaceful face.

He wondered if he still wanted to return home or stay in this universe.

> ᴛᴡᴏ sʜᴏᴛs ᴏғ ᴠᴏᴅᴋᴀ ʜᴀs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴀᴅᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ sʜᴏᴘᴘɪɴɢ ᴄᴀʀᴛ!

> ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ ɪᴛᴇᴍs ᴛᴏ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋᴏᴜᴛ!

ʀᴇᴄᴇɪᴘᴛ:

> ᴏɴᴇ ᴡɪsʜ

> sɪx sᴋᴇʟᴇᴛᴏɴs

> ᴛᴡᴏ ʙᴜʀɢᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ ғʀɪᴇs

> ᴛᴡᴏ sᴘɪᴅᴇʀ ғʀᴀᴘᴘᴜᴄᴄɪɴᴏs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴇxᴛʀᴀ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴍ

> ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴀʟʟ ɢʟᴀss ᴏғ ᴇɴᴄᴏᴜʀᴀɢᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ

> ᴏɴᴇ ᴜᴍʙʀᴇʟʟᴀ

> ᴛᴡᴏ ᴘɪʟʟs ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʙᴏᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴍᴇᴅɪᴄɪɴᴇ

> ᴏɴᴇ ɢʀᴀᴘᴇ sᴏᴅᴀ

> ᴀ sᴛᴀᴄᴋ ᴏғ ᴠɪɴʏʟ ʀᴇᴄᴏʀᴅs

> ᴇɪɢʜᴛ ᴛɪᴄᴋᴇᴛs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴇᴡ ᴍᴇᴡ ᴋɪssʏ ᴄᴜᴛɪᴇ ᴍᴏᴠɪᴇ

> ᴀ ᴛʜᴏᴜsᴀɴᴅ ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ʟɪɢʜᴛs

> ᴀ ᴄᴏᴜᴘʟᴇ ᴏғ ʙʀᴜɪsᴇs

> ᴛᴡᴏ sʜᴏᴛs ᴏғ ᴠᴏᴅᴋᴀ

ᴛᴏᴛᴀʟ: $xx.xx

ᴛɪᴘ: ǫ&ᴀ sᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ!

ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴇ?

> ʏᴇs > ʏᴇs

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...

Welcome to the Q&A Section! Don't worry this isn't the whole (ooo the author is a part of the fanfic lore). A week or so ago I asked you lovely readers if you have any questions for me! And surprisingly people participated from Ao3, Quotev and Wattpad! I will categorise them accordingly!

Who are you?

Hello! I go by my username on whatever fanfic site or just Saya, take your pick. I go by he/they and I'm 20 years old!

Is there going to be multiple endings?

Yes but there will be one true ending!

Will MC have to choose who they end up with in the end? Or will it be polyamorous?

I've been asked this quite a lot when starting out! So far I have an ending planned but won't give anything away hehehe but don't worry romance is brewing between you and the love interests.

What is going on with the plot?

This is just a light-hearted slice of life fic so there isn't much plot and very character-focused. (Or is it?)

Quotev

Temmm asks:

- where do you get your inspiration from when writing?

- who's your favourite character in your fic so far? why?

- any little hints you can tell us about the weird glitchy chapters? are they canon? what is happening?????

1. I mainly get my inspo from four major sources. Undertale (ofc), the visual novel that this fic is heavily inspired by (Magical Highschool Romance: My Heart Can't Choose Between These Handsome Boys!!), Classic literature/Philosophy (mainly Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, Jane Austen and others) and finally whatever pops on my Tiktok fyp (actually slop tho but I make it work HHAHA)

2. Favourite character in the fic? So far it's a six way tie between all of them. I love all of my skeletons sm they are my beloveds and I cherish them. Like i wanna treat them all right in this fic and I can't stop thinking about all of them. But ofc in the end I'm a Sans Fangirl and his wife (in and outside of LATCS)

3. Ooooo okay okay LOREEE??? So what I'm gonna say is that all chapters are canon to the fic but set in different times. It's pretty vague rn since there's no info (YET) but you just gotta make your own conclusions. Very excited to write more about it tho!!!

Ao3

oOgoldanrabbitOo asks: I was wondering who's your favorite skellie to write about? And who's your favorite skeleton in general, doesn't have to be in this book.

1. Hands down Red's whole storyline here is my fav to write. Now hear me out, I know ppl portray him as some flirty sex god y'all thirst over and yeah I see it and y'all are gonna hate me with my interpretation of him. But I have sm planned for him (and everyone else) and I get so excited whenever he's in a chapter. I won't give anything away but what I will say is that Red's and MC's whole dynamic fr makes me scream and twirl my hair and kick my feet in the air hehehehhe.

2. My fav skeleton tho is obviously Mr Sans Undertale. LIKE NO OME CAN BEAT THE ORIGINAL NONE OF THOSE SEXY SKELETONS COULD EXIST WITHOUT HIM. Not an AU hater just an OG dickrider

Haya_Melon asks: What inspired you to write this story? Will you add any outcode!characters like Ink or Error?
What's your favourite scene in the story so far?

1. Short answer: Because skeletons are hot

Long Answer: I've explained it in my here if you want the full details but I'll try and summarise it here. In May/August of 2023 I replayed Undertale making me fall back in love with the story and the characters. Then I decided to check out fan games/fanfics of Undertale, one of them which heavily LATCS, which lead me to feel inspired and want to write again. I used to write a lot in 2015/2016 and was like "hey lemme do this again BUT BETTER THIS TIME." And here we are!

2. Adding any outcode character or any other character from the UTMVis most likely gonna be a no. However I was thinking of doing a sort of joke/cameo of one of them but I'm still in the fence (very doubtful of my writing skills/if anyone will get the joke). I'm sorry y'all but I've like planned a lot already for the six main love interests and don't wanna fall into my old habits of adding too many characters who end up getting sidelined.

3. Oooo good question. I have a few favourite scenes so far in no particular order!

Prologue where MC and their Dad have a heart-to-heart. I really liked the whole opening of it and the little bits of symbolism I put in there. It makes me smile that people can come to this fic for comfort about their own fathers or to those who don't.Chapter 10 where MC and Sans are stargazing. I think that's also when my writing improved a bit. The whole general tone and dialogue really shines and I'm proud of myself that I sometimes re read it and be like "bro I fucking COOKED!!. Just love Sans and hates how he's always sidelined in harem fics.Chapter 5 where Stretch and MC smoke under the gazebo when it's raining. I could already tell that the Stretch simps were fed that day since y'all fr go crazy. But I can't wait to write MC's and Stretch's development soon!Chapter 11 where Edge beats the fuck outta MC. Fr gave me nostalgia when I wrote my old fic but glad everything went smoothly in the end bc I love Edge (I can fix him)Chapter 12 Red and MC ding Dong Ditching

Rathugger asks: As for questions:
Any tips for writing a story with such a large cast of characters?
How do you go about planning your stories/chapters?
How do you stay motivated/cope with burnout?

1. Okay I'm still struggling to write a large amount of characters however what I've found best is how they all interact and bounce off with each other. If you have like a big group think "hmm how would character interact with character b?" And so on and see if all their personalities clash or complement each other in a large group. The example I can think rn from the top of my head is how the skeletons would interact with each other without MC being present and all. What are their internal struggles? Does it affect the others or just themselves?

Another tip is also split everyone's screen time evenly. Have some scenes where it's either a handful of your cast or just them if you want to flesh out more of their character. Just make sure that all characters are able to stand out by themselves.

2. Planning chapters/the plot of LATCS was pretty tricky. Usually, I have everything in headings. Eg:

Chapter 1

- Idea #1

-Idea #2

- Dialogue examples #1

Ik very messy, but over time I refine and add/cut things I want/don't want. This chapter went through many rewrites because I'm very picky but I'm the end I was able to scrap together a pretty good chapter. I'm aware this may not work for everyone but that's okay because if you think writing in dot points/small snippets of the chapter isn't for you there are a ton of other methods you can try your hand at!

3. For staying motivated I think it's like different for everyone when coping. When I get burned out/unmotivated I try and distract myself in my other hobbies. Right now I'm still on my Minecraft grind and I hyper-focus on like building or mining. Sounds lame but it gives my mind a break and sometimes I get random sparks of inspo which makes me excited to write again. Other times I try and read since I've been gifted a lot of books and it helps my brain learn more vocabulary and how other authors write and it also sparks new ideas. Another tip is not to stress over your fic too much. Very hypocritical of me since I also fall into this but what I've learned is that you, the author, are writing your passion for the world to see for FREE in your own time because YOU enjoy it. No one will pressure you to finish but you and you should love and write your fic how YOU want it. Even if it takes a million years to finish or you end up taking a break/discontinuing it. That's okay because that's still so cool you write something for people to read.

Wattpad

Shadow_cupcake_heart asks:

What is your favourite Au and why?What fandoms are you currently in?What's was your favourite scene so far in this book while writing?

1. Omg it's been so long since I've delved deep in the Undertale AUs. There so many and new ones just pop outta thin air. However, my top favourite has always been FlowerFell! Now I know there was some controversy and whole misinterpretation of the whole AU being "Frans" coded (Frisk X Sans) however the actual intentions of both the AU and the creator are very different. I'm just a sucker for redemption arcs esp with FlowerFell Sans and his fatherly role towards Frisk in the fic. Frisk is so selfless in such a ruthless world yet is willing to free everyone despite everything just aaaa I can't. Literally crying rn. The whole message of giving kindness really resonates with the message from what Undertale gives and I'm just in love with every bit of it. Just really sad it's portrayed as a Frans AU by many fans.

2. I'm not as active as I am in fandoms tbh. I like a lot of media but don't interact with the community lol. I'm still "in" the Undertale fandom but here are some my interests if that's helps!

- Five Nights at Freddy's

-South Park

- Baldi's Basics

- Danganronpa

- Omori

Those are what pop into mind, I know very basic of me (I'm honestly too old for fandoms lol)

3. Same as before:

Prologue where MC and their Dad have a heart-to-heart. I really liked the whole opening of it and the little bits of symbolism I put in there. It makes me smile that people can come to this fic for comfort about their own fathers or to those who don't.Chapter 10 where MC and Sans are stargazing. I think that's also when my writing improved a bit. The whole general tone and dialogue really shines and I'm proud of myself that I sometimes re read it and be like "bro I fucking COOKED!!! Just love Sans and hates how he's always sidelined in harem fics.Chapter 5 where Stretch and MC smoke under the gazebo when it's raining. I could already tell that the Stretch simps were fed that day since y'all fr go crazy. But I can't wait to write MC's and Stretch's development soon!Chapter 11 where Edge beats the fuck outta MC. Fr gave me nostalgia when I wrote my old fic but glad everything went smoothly in the end bc I love Edge (I can fix him)Chapter 12 Red and MC ding Dong Ditching.

Thank you to everyone who asked questions! Hope to see you all soon!

(Edited)

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

13K 462 13
[Underswap Papyrus x reader] You have a secret. You are the last of your kind, shapeshifter / Human hybrid. The very culmination of your being consta...
115K 6.7K 47
Cover artist: punny-puntasy ! (TOLD IN YOU/YOUR) A reaper, a few gods, and a bunch of skeletons. The life of a reaper wasn't boring to her, everyda...
242K 10.9K 37
Underswap!Papyrus x Reader And some Fresh!Sans x Reader -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- It isn't hard to slip into a dream. You're happy with what...
60.3K 2.9K 41
This isn't a typical sans x reader(now papyrus x reader too). It's got more than that, well at least a different plot device first chapters will be a...