MELTING A FROZEN HEART

serene_fictionist द्वारा

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... अधिक

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 29

2.5K 251 105
serene_fictionist द्वारा

220+ Votes!

RAELYNN

"By the way, I'm her fiancé.", Milan stated firmly, draping his arm around my shoulder.

His words shocked me, rendering me speechless for a moment.

Before I could compose myself and look at him, he firmly led me away from there, leaving Vincent behind.

We walked for a while, but I pushed his arm off angrily as soon as his words and actions sunk in.

I looked at him with anger swirling in my eyes while my face remained extremely stoic so as to not grab attention from others.

"I'm sorry I surprised you that way, but I don't mean anything wrong. You know how much I love Liz, right?", Milan said, slightly raising his hands in surrender.

"What's your intention in saying something so outrageous?", I asked, my tone taut in fury.

"What was I supposed to do? That Marino guy was talking to you and I was worried he was approaching you with some dirty motives. So, I had to meddle in and I said something impulsive.", he answered, exasperated.

"Dirty motives?", I questioned, furrowing my brows slightly.

"You know the kind of rumors that surround him, right? How can I trust your safety around a man like that!", Milan exclaimed calmly, his gaze earnestly concerned.

I clicked my tongue in irritation, shaking my head.

I really appreciate Milan's concern and I'm grateful even, but I also know Vincent is far from being a disgusting pervert.

However, I cannot say that to Milan, since I can't tell him I got involved in some mafia mess and have stayed in the Marino mansion for two whole weeks.

It bothers me though that Milan thinks of Vincent as a typical womanizer when he's anything but that.

"Raelynn", Milan called out, raising his voice.

I broke out of my daze and looked at him.

"What are you thinking?", he asked, frowning.

"Nothing. You have done it now, but never say something of this sort in front of anyone ever again. It'll start rumors.", I stated sternly.

"I won't.", he replied, pinching his throat slightly, as if swearing.

"And you should maintain distance from that guy. He's the last person anyone should get involved with.", Milan advised firmly.

Before I could reply, we were interrupted by one of his friends calling him over and he turned around to leave after I nodded.

Before he could go far, I called him out.

"Milan", I called him.

He turned slightly, raising a brow.

I hesitated for a moment to speak.

"Vinc- .. Mr. Marino is well mannered and respectful, unlike what everyone thinks.", I said calmly, unsure why I'm defending a person I'm angry at.

Milan frowned in suspicion and was going to say something, but his friend called over again and taking the chance, I turned and walked away, knowing I'm not ready to answer his questions.

I didn't know Vincent would attend this event too and when I saw him amidst a noisy crowd surrounding him, I felt nervous.

Dressed in a complete black three-piece suit and his hair neatly swept back, his presence tall, elegant and authoritative, he looked more dashing than usual.

I had decided not to speak to him, but when he provoked me, I couldn't keep quiet.

And to add fuel to the already burning situation, Milan said something stupid.

Ugh.

Strangely, I did not see Vincent at the party after that.

Maybe he had some work.

Soon after, I left the event and was driving back to my house, but was stopped abruptly when a man jumped in front of my car.

Since the whole area was being rebuilt, it was mostly deserted and calm at nights, with hardly any people around.

I got out of the car to check if the man was okay and that was my mistake.

Someone hit me on my back suddenly and I stumbled forward at the force.

I turned around and was going to step back, but the man pulled at my hand and in the process of snatching my hand from his hold, the sleeve of the dress tore.

More men gathered in front of me, with a disgusting smug on their faces.

Realizing there was only one way to get this over with, I engaged with them in a fight, tearing my dress from the knee down to make it more easy to fight.

As I punched one man down and was going to take on the other one who was a foot away, a hand appeared from beside me, driving a dagger right through the man's throat, the blood splattering on me.

My lips parted in shock and before I could comprehend anything, a man walked past me from behind and stood in front of me, kicking the dead guy to the ground.

Despite the mask on his face, I recognized him right away.

Vincent.

I could sense something was unusual about him today as soon as I saw him.

His aura felt more intimidating.

In the next few moments, he rushed forward, slashing through the flesh and eyes of all the men standing in front of him.

After cutting down the last man, he stood there amidst the corpses, his clothes drenched in red and his whole face and hands dripping with blood.

His back was facing me as he stood in complete silence and I stood rooted in my spot.

It felt different from when he killed his enemies in that forest.

Back in that forest, he killed with indifference, but now, I could feel my throat running dry under the murderous aura he was exuding, making the air feel heavy and the tension palpable.

In a matter of mere moments, he so easily cut through their flesh in a revoltingly gruesome manner that a chill ran down my spine.

Interrupting the silence, a fresh set of men approached us cautiously.

But as soon as Vincent removed his mask in a threateningly leisure way, the men stepped back in shock, and the moment he casually lifted his dagger, they kneeled in front of him, bowing their head, their eyes cast down.

"Boss", they revered in respect and fear.

The mutilated corpses lying on the ground, the tall, buff men kneeling and faintly shaking in fear and the eerie calmness of the man in front me reminded me a fact that I had been forgetting for some time now,

Vincent Marino is the mafia boss.

And today's incident has shown me that in terms of strength, precision and brutality, he's in a league of his own.

"Clean this up.", he ordered coldly, making the men flinch.

"Yes, sir.", they answered firmly.

When he turned around stoically, I resisted the urge to take a step back under the pressure of his cold gaze.

My heart hammered hard and loud in my chest as he walked towards me.

He walked past me and opened the passenger door of my car silently.

Understanding what he meant, I walked over and sat in the passenger seat and he closed the door calmly.

Walking around, he took the wheel and started driving the car wordlessly.

The short ride to my house was utterly quiet and the tension felt too heavy to be able to breathe properly.

He stopped in front of my house and got out of the car and so did I.

Without uttering a word, he turned around to leave , but halted in his tracks when I stepped forward and held his bloodied hand, staining my own in the process.

I don't know why, but I don't want him to leave.

"You should wash up before leaving.", I said calmly, shoving the apprehension aside.

He did not respond for a while as I stood there silently, holding his hand.

Finally, he turned around, looked me in the eyes stoically and gave a curt nod.

Satisfied, I let go of his hand and led him into my house and switched on the lights, illuminating the dark house.

"You can use this room. There's an attached bathroom and a connecting closet.", I informed him, leading him into one of the rooms on the ground floor.

Not saying anything, he walked in and closed the door on my face.

Arrogant jer-

Ugh.

I feel like cursing him, but I can't bring myself to.

Throwing a nasty glare at the closed door, I walked away to my own room.

Soon, I took a refreshing shower, changed into a casual set of shirt and pants and walked to the kitchen.

Knowing well that he must not have had his dinner, I started preparing a simple meal for the both of us.

While I was busy searching for an ingredient, I flinched, a little startled at the sudden throat clearing sound.

I relaxed instantly knowing it's him and turned around after grabbing the required box, but froze at the sight in front of me.

He was standing there shirtless, slightly leaning backwards on the table, his perfectly structured abs on full display, folding smoothly along the curve of his relaxed body, one hand in his pocket while the other running through his wet locks of hair, his face and chest glistening with faint moisture as his deep gray eyes stared straight at me.

Gulping the strange lump in my suddenly dried up throat, I spoke up.

"Why didn't you put on a shirt?", I asked, irritated.

"I don't have a spare one and the one I was wearing is stained.", he replied in a stoic tone.

Pursing my lips, I walked to the stove to continue cooking, making sure not to look at him.

"You need to come with me back to the mansion.", he stated firmly, breaking the short silence.

"Pardon me, but I don't have a habit of staying at a stranger's house.", I replied tersely, focusing on the dish I'm cooking.

"After today's incident, I'm afraid you don't have the luxury to refuse.", he said.

I raised a brow in question, looking up at him.

"My father's men and the men working for me have seen me here. The rumor that had been weakening little by little will be refueled by today's incident. You're going to be in immense danger henceforth.", he explained calmly.

I hummed in response, pondering deeply over the situation.

"Thank you for the concern, but I'll manage it on my own.", I replied firmly, looking at him.

His brow twitched faintly in anger.

"They're dangerous. If anything goes remotely wrong, they'll ...", he paused midway, not completing the sentence.

"They'll kill me. I know as much. Even then, I'm not going to come to your house.", I replied, determined.

"You're going to risk your life over an argument?", he asked sternly.

"Yes. It's fine if I die a-", I started, but he cut me off immediately.

"Raelynn", he warned me coldly, his eyes daring me to finish my statement.

I chuckled dryly, walking around the kitchen counter and standing a few feet in front of him.

"You may not understand why, but for me, death is far easier a destination than the burden of humiliation.", I said calmly, my tone concealing the wealth of agony swirling in me at the vilifying memories.

Before I could comprehend anything, he stood up erect and took a few brisk steps, standing an inch away, his height towering over me. Startled, I took a clumsy step back on instinct, but stumbled, losing balance.

However, he draped his hand around my waist, breaking my fall, and pulled me towards himself firmly, making me hold onto his shoulders for support, standing on my toes, his face mere inches above mine, our chests dangerously close to touching each other's, while his sharp gaze held mine captive.

"You may not value your life much, but I do.", he stated sternly, looking me in the eyes.

I looked into his eyes, surprised, my heart beating fast and hard.

"When I saw those bast**ds looking at your torn dress lewdly, the calm and stoic I've trained years to maintain crumbled in a split moment at the immense anger I felt.", he said calmly, yet his tone firm, his gaze neutral yet earnest.

My gaze softened hearing his words.

"I realized today that your safety is much more valuable and important to me than that argument and my own stubbornness.", he stated.

I felt a heaviness in my chest as I gazed up into his gray eyes that looked back into mine with an unwavering honesty.

"Why?", I asked softly, dazed.

It was a question directed not only to him, but myself too.

Why did he get angry when I was in trouble and why did I defend his personality when Milan assumed bad about him?

Why?

"I don't know.", our reply was the same, he confessed it out loud and I muttered it internally, both of us gazing into each other's eyes.

"I do know one thing now, Ren, I won't be able to stay put if you're in danger. Be it apologizing or abducting, I'll not hesitate to do either to keep you safe.", he said firmly, his tone determined and non-negotiable.

With each word he spoke, the heaviness in my chest grew, overwhelming me with an emotion that pushed me to an edge, the tears threatening to cloud my vision, but his eyes held mine captive and mine refused to drift beyond his gray ones.

"Your father wi-", I started, but he cut me off.

"I'll tell him to stay away from you and you too ignore him. If he voluntarily meddles with you, well, just call me, I'll handle it.", he assured in a staunch tone.

"Deal?", he questioned calmly.

Gulping the lump of foreign emotions stuck at the base of my throat, I spoke up.

"Deal.", I agreed, smiling gently.

The sudden beep sound from the oven startled me and I moved forward on instinct, colliding into his chest, my nose crashing into his throat while my lips grazed his Adam's apple softly.

I could feel his body evidently stiffen as his hold around my waist tightened, my hands flat on his bare shoulders, my abdomen feeling his hard abs, his lips over my temple, hitching my breath while the base of his throat curved in at his abruptly sharp breathing.

We stood frozen for a moment, but moved away immediately once I broke out of the trance.

Turning away with a blush creeping up my cheeks and ears, I walked briskly to the oven and started setting two plates of dinner for us, all the while biting the inside of my cheeks to curb my racing heart.

In my peripheral view, I could see him still standing in the same spot, staring at me.

Clearing my throat, I placed the plates on the table.

"Let's eat before leaving.", I said awkwardly, not looking at him.

He took his seat quietly and both of us ate in utter silence, weighed down by embarrassment.

Soon after, we left for his mansion and sneaked in.

Out of habit, I walked to the terrace and found him already present there.

I couldn't help the smile that curved my lips.

I didn't realize I missed this place, his company and the relief until I'm back here.

That night, both of us did not speak anything, letting the silence take over, but this time it was a comfortable one, enveloping us in a familiar warmth as the cool breeze lulled me to a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, I completed all my morning routine and was going down to the dining room, but paused midway.

"REN!", Arianna exclaimed, surprised.

"Hey!", I greeted.

She rushed to me and hugged me tightly.

"We missed you.", she said softly, burying her face deeper into the hug.

Smiling softly, I wrapped my hands around her.

"I missed you too.", I replied honestly.

"Really?", Angelina folded her hands, raising a brow.

Chuckling at her sulking expression, I pulled her into the hug, wrapping my hands around both of them, feeling relaxed in their embrace.

"You're back, huh?", Dylan scoffed, leaning against the staircase, hands in his pocket.

"Lord have mercy on us.", Ashton muttered dryly.

Letting go of the girls gently, I ruffled his hair.

"Aww, I missed you too.", I said in a gentle tone, pretending to treat him as a kid, ruffling his hair.

Ashton swatted my hand away, glaring at me while the girls and Dylan laughed.

"No one missed you.", Ashton rolled his eyes.

"I can see how much you missed me.", I nodded in fake seriousness.

"I did not.", he argued, irritated.

"It must have been so hard without me.", I shook my head sadly.

"You're impossible!", Ashton exclaimed in frustration.

"Ash really argued a lot with Vince about you leaving so suddenly.", Theodore stated, walking to us.

"That's so sweet, kid.", I smiled, looking at him, deliberately riling him up.

"He has always been sweet.", Angelina added in, a smirk curving her lips.

"And cute.", Arianna smiled smugly.

"I hate you!", Ashton muttered, annoyed.

Sofia interrupted our conversation, calling us for breakfast and all the kids started walking to the dining with a quiet Ace following behind them, but I held his hand, stopping him.

He looked at me as stoically as possible, but it was evident he's not his usual cheery self.

Making sure the others were out of earshot, I raised a brow at him and he averted his gaze guiltily.

"What happened? Why are you so quiet?", I questioned calmly.

"I'm fine.", he replied, not looking at me.

"Ace", I probed firmly.

He sighed, disappointed.

"If I had said what dad did, Vince and you wouldn't have argued and you wouldn't have left. It was my fault.", he said in frustration, his gaze cast down in agitation.

Frowning, I flicked his forehead hard.

He looked at me, startled, rubbing his forehead.

"Firstly, your brother and I argue on almost everything, our arguments are never-ending. Secondly, the entire fault is your father's. Lastly, stop taking blame for someone else's mistakes.", I stated firmly, looking him straight in the eyes.

He was taken aback at my words, but didn't look convinced.

"I'm sorry you got hit because of me. It was my fault.", I said gently.

He looked at me, shocked.

"What? No! It was dad's fault.", he argued immediately.

"Exactly. It was neither your fault nor mine.", I concluded in a firm tone.

He nodded slowly.

"Smile now.", I probed him.

He forced his lips to curve a little which didn't even look like a smile.

"If you don't smile properly, I'm gonna tell Vincent that you were the one who did Ashton's last assignment because he was too lazy to do his own.", I threatened, narrowing my gaze on him.

He laughed out, shaking his head.

"You really love bossing around, don't you?", he commented, chuckling.

I shrugged nonchalantly.

It felt good seeing him smiling again. They're too young to be worrying about adults' mistakes.

Gosh, I really missed these kids!

We soon joined others for breakfast and their father was still present, much to my annoyance.

As usual, the kids left for school and the others dispersed for their work and so did I sit in my room all day, busy with work.

Thankfully, I didn't bump into their father.

The evening passed by as usual and it was a little past 11 in the night and everyone retired for the day, except of course, Vincent, me and Theodore.

I had some extra work today and stayed up late to complete it.

While I was walking to the terrace, I got a call from Milan's phone and a bartender requested me to pick Milan from the place as he was too drunk to move.

I informed Vincent about the same and his face immediately fell stoic, his gaze blank.

"Just drop me out of the mansion, I'll handle the rest.", I informed him.

"I'll come.", Vincent replied in a neutral tone.

"It's fin-", he cut me off.

"Do you have the address?", he asked, walking past me to the garage.

Sighing at his stubbornness, I followed behind.

While he was driving stoically to the venue, I answered a few calls from the bartender asking me to come quickly.

Exhausted, I leaned back in my seat.

"When did you and Milan Cello get engaged?", Vincent asked in an unfamiliar tone.

I jolted up in my seat at his sudden question.

"What? We're not engaged.", I replied immediately.

He looked at me calmly through his peripheral vision, but didn't say anything.

"For heaven's sake, he's not my fiancé.", I said, palming my face.

"He's not?", he asked, his tone lacing in subtle surprise.

"Of course, he's not.", I replied flatly.

Before he could question further, I clarified everything about why Milan said all that.

"I don't like him.", Vincent concluded in a hard tone.

"That's the first time someone said they don't like Milan.", I commented, amused.

"You like him too?", he questioned tersely.

"He's not bad as a friend and as a human in general.", I shrugged.

"Hmm.", was all the reply I received from him.

We soon reached the bar Milan was at and walked in, wearing a mask, so as not to be identified by anyone there.

I looked at a drunk Milan cursing at some guy and walked to him angrily.

"Milan.", I interrupted him sternly.

He stopped and looked at me, frowning.

"Who are you?", Milan asked, wobbling slightly.

Irritated, I took my mask off, knowing there's no one around.

"Ohhhh, Raelynnnn, my besttt frienddd", he stressed on each word, exclaiming in excitement.

Clicking my tongue in embarrassment, I was going to support his wobbling body, but before I could, Vincent stepped between me and Milan and supported him, preventing him from falling.

I looked up at him and he had a stoic gaze, his face covered with a mask.

"Heyy, who are youu, go away.", Milan tried pushing him off, but Vincent was too strong to be opposed by a drunk man.

"He's someone I know. Let's leave from here first.", I said angrily, uncomfortable in that place.

Vincent looked at me and I nodded at him.

I walked out first and Vincent supported Milan, following behind, all the while Milan kept complaining.

Vincent finally settled him in the back seat of the car and we started our ride to Milan's apartment.

All through the ride, Vincent had his mask on to make sure Milan doesn't recognize him.

"Raelynnn, who's he?", Milan asked in a slurred voice.

"That's not important. Why do you get so terribly drunk?", I asked, irritated.

"They asked me to drinkk. How can I refuse?", he complained, huffing.

"You don't need to please each and everyone. If you don't refuse the next time and end up like this again, I'm gonna throw you right in front of your parents' house.", I warned him sternly.

"Mean.", he commented, scoffing.

I looked at Vincent who had not uttered a single word till now. His eyes were focused on the road ahead and his palms clutched the steering wheel so tight that for a moment I thought he'd break it.

Maybe he's angry I disturbed his work.

"I wantt waterrrr", Milan demanded incoherently.

We stopped a little away from a convenience store and all of us got down, Milan for some air to avoid puking.

"I'll handle him, you -", I was saying, but Vincent cut me off.

"I'll handle him, you go buy a water bottle.", he said calmly, eerily calm.

I nodded apprehensively, but walked away nonetheless.

When I came back, I saw Milan lying on the floor while Vincent was looking at him indifferently, leaning against the car with hands in his pockets.

Worried, I rushed to them and was going to help Milan up, but Vincent leaned down and pulled Milan up harshly before I could touch him, holding him firmly in place.

Is he that angry that I'm wasting his time?

"Why was he on the ground?", I questioned.

"He tripped.", Vincent answered.

"What were you doing?", I asked flatly.

"He tripped.", was all he said in an extremely neutral tone.

Before I could argue, he snatched the bottle from my hand and splashed some water on Milan's face, startling him.

"WHA-", he cut me off yet again.

"It's one of the ways to sober up the drunk.", Vincent stated stoically.

Is it really?

I narrowed my gaze on him, but he royally ignored me.

Soon, we got in and reached Milan's apartment and this time, Milan stayed utterly quiet.

The butler rushed to us to take Milan inside, thanking me in the process while Vincent stayed in the car.

"Raelynn", Milan called out, standing at his gate.

I looked at him, raising a brow.

He gestured to me to come closer and I walked to him, frowning.

As I neared him, he asked the butler to give us a moment.

"Who's that man?", Milan asked calmly, once the butler moved away.

"Someone I know.", I replied curtly.

"That man has feelings for you, Raelynn.", Milan stated, shocking me.

"What nonsense!", I exclaimed, furrowing my brows.

"It's the truth.", he said seriously.

"No, it's not.", I replied sternly.

"From the moment we met, he had been jealous the whole time.", Milan said, no mirth in his tone or eyes.

"Stop talking rubbish while you're drunk.", I warned him, my tone almost defensive.

"I'm drunk, not clueless. I'm a man in love, Raelynn, I can identify when another is jealous.", he replied, looking me in the eyes.

Not bothering to reply, I turned around, walked back to the car and got in.

Milan's words kept echoing in my brain, making me restless.

There's no way Vincent has feelings for me. No, it's not possible.

Milan was just drunk and spouted some nonsense.

A strange fear gripped my heart, scared that maybe there is a minute possibility of it being the truth.

No.

No, it's not.

Why would Vincent like me?

We're just acquaintances.

He shouldn't like me.

I'm not worth it.

I'm too dirty to be loved, to be spent feelings on by anyone.

My brain went into an alarming frenzy the whole night, reeling with terrifying thoughts.

Unusually, Vincent and I didn't speak that night despite sleeping on the terrace together.

The next morning, I avoided him to get a grip on my thoughts and it went on until evening and thankfully he went to his office, leaving me in peace.

When it was a little past 7 in the evening, I walked to the living room to catch a break from my disturbing fears.

I stepped into the noisy living room, not knowing there was a guest.

"Ren! Meet our cousin, Aurelio.", Angelina said cheerfully, pointing at someone.

An unfamiliar man stood up, his smile swirling with mischief, and nodded at me respectfully, but what he uttered next, jolted me up, sending a chill down my spine,

"Sister-in-law"

**********************************************************************************

Phew! That was a very long chapter!

How was the chapter?

Did Vince indirectly confess to Ren? 😳

The siblings missed Ren and vice versa. 🥰

Vince definitely didn't like Milan. 😂

Well, Aurelio is here! 😁

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Do follow me on Insta with the same ID.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

827K 18.9K 30
a little girl who didn't know the difference between good and bad is swept into the world of chaos. Sofia Lawson, the little girl who lived with her...
1.3M 69.4K 59
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
718K 20.8K 32
She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of Wings.
88K 1.8K 16
your a nickit who's from the city constantly looking for food what happens when you meet to humans named ash and goh? --- drawings are not by me unle...