『BALANCE BREAKER』A Tensura X...

i_am_delusional tarafından

Kellen is a boy running out of time and running out of options. A series of unfortunate events befall him an... Daha Fazla

Prologue: Magic is a scam.
Chapter 1: I bid you turbulent tidings.
Chapter 3: Playing both sides.
Chapter 4: An untainted perspective.
Chapter 5: Chained Secrets, Broken ties.
Chapter 6: Ciel's methods.
Chapter 7: One step forward, a million steps back.
Chapter 8: An eye opening.
Chapter 9: I can, therefore I will.

Chapter 2: Bias of two evils.

92 15 10
i_am_delusional tarafından

Above is a map of Eldrasia, the continent where most of the events of the Spellslinger series occurs.
.
.

I remained in the room for about ten minutes before a guard arrived to escort me out.

“Took you long enough.” I sighed as I rose from my seat.

The stoic guard bowed his head.
“The deceased clan prince decreed that you are a guest of his and should be treated with appropriate respect, forgive me for my tardiness.” He spoke like he was reading from a script, his apathy was not lost on me.

He gestured to the door before departing through it, I followed him into the winding hallways.

After a little bit of walking, I arrived at the gate of the palace.

I turned back to look at the building to see seven coloured lights shining into the sky.

“Those are the sacred lanterns. They are lit only in times of great tragedy.” My confusion must have been obvious as I heard an unfamiliar voice explain the lights’ significance to me.

A man dressed in flowing robes appeared in my vision. A suspicious smile was plastered on his face.

“Huh?” Who is this guy?

“My name is Ra’meth, head of the House of Ra and-”

“Lord magus of the Jan'Tep, right?” I completed his sentence for him, I was beginning to find these people too predictable….

His smile faltered for a second before it was back with full deceptive force.

“Yes, that is correct. I already know you, Rimuru Tempest, so no need for introductions.” I don't know who this guy is trying to fool but it's pretty obvious that he doesn't have any favorable opinion of me whatsoever. Why was he hiding it? That's unlike a Jan'Tep.

“Hm, okay. So, can I help you?” I wanted him to make his intentions clear, dealing with these types of people was tedious.

“Ah yes. As a Lord magus and head of a house, it is my responsibility to care for the clan prince's precious guest. I am here to escort you personally.” That didn't really give me any information…

“Is that so? Why can't I just stay here in the palace?” I wasn't actually interested in doing so, but he doesn't know that.

“The process to select a new clan prince will begin soon, I fear it wouldn't be courteous for a stranger to be within the palace walls.” I don't really get it but if he's attributing it to their customs, I couldn't argue.

“Selection process? How does that work?” Something told me that his true intentions lied here.

“The Jan'Tep High Council is responsible for that. The new clan prince would be selected from among the Lords Magi, ideally, the most capable one will be chosen.” We started walking, Ra’meth taking the lead.

“Lords Magi huh, so that Ke’heops guy is a candidate too.” I threw out a name in hopes I might get something.

Ra’meth delayed a bit before answering.
“Indeed, he is. Now let us hurry, it's dark and not a fitting time to be walking the streets. I would like to have a long chat with you later though, I am very interested in someone so valued by the clan prince.”

So that's what it is…

The selection process hadn't even begun and this guy was already planning to use me, I'm kinda impressed.

This guy could probably sense that I wasn't what I seemed, it would be too out of place for the clan prince to suddenly grant me honor if it wasn't the case.

Even if I was just one card, one with vague benefits on top of that, this guy was willing to keep me at his side. Him coming personally must have been a way to ensure I wouldn't go to Ke’heops who I was already somewhat acquainted with.

Well sorry man, I don't like when people's plans actually work out.

I stopped walking, Ra’meth sensed that and stopped as well. He turned to face me, his face trying to appear confused.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

“Yeah, the thing is, I won't be following you anymore.” I smiled at him, the area around us was deserted, which was kinda out of place for a route that led to the house of a Lord magus.

“May I ask why?” He still decided to play his little game, I could tell he's figured me out already.

“I have to check up on a certain kid.”

“That Sha’Tep boy that Ke'heops calls a son?” He spat with venom in his voice, I could see him free up his fingers.

“Yup. You have a problem with that?” I kicked a stone lying near my feet into the distance.

Ra'meth’s face twisted as he began to laugh.
“Of course, what did I expect…?” He said with a laugh.

“You okay man?” He was weirding me out, honestly.

“I planned to at least treat you well, you know? But it seems you're too nosy for your own good.”

He finally revealed his true colors huh.
“You're saying some scary things old man, should I consider that as a threat?”

“Take it as you will, I can't let a wildcard like you roam around freely. Especially not with Ke'heops.” His fingers began to move in weird patterns as he muttered something under his breath, an incantation probably.

“Uh huh….so you have no qualms with killing a guest of your beloved clan prince?”

His palms were now covered in red flames, a reddish orange glow shone on his right forearm, proof that he was channeling ember magic.

“Nobody here actually cares about you, or even about the deceased clan prince. I see no problems with removing you now.”

The flames began to condense in front of him, forming a wildly rotating ball of fiery death.

“Okay, noted. That's some cool fire though, looks like it won't go out by normal means.”

“Hmm? Seems like you know a bit about our arts if you're able to recognise thirstfire. I suppose even this much is enough to awe an outsider.” He spoke with haughtiness permeating every syllable.

“Don't flatter yourself, why would I be impressed by something so basic?” What's this guy going on about?

“Impressive composure in the face of death, but it won't help you. Die.” The compressed and concentrated spell fire shot towards me at speeds equalling that of a bullet.

If this thing hit a regular person, they would be blown to pieces and incinerated at the same moment.

It just disappeared as soon as it touched me though.

“What?” Ra'meth was instantly in shock, probably expecting to smell the scent of burning flesh by now.

“See? Basic.” I patted my clothes which wouldn't be damaged by something like that anyway.

“But…how?” Just like every other member of this arcanocracy, Ra'meth had absolute faith in his magic. An outsider like me taking the attack with no reaction was an unreal experience, it probably felt like a dream.

No, a nightmare.

“Look here, let me show you what real fire is.” I said as I opened my palm to the sky.

“What are you? Are you one of those Berabesq viziers? I heard they had strange techniques.” He was struggling to keep himself composed.

“Oh shut up.” I said, no longer using my carefree tone. I began to walk towards him.

Black flames appeared in my palm, I was containing most of the heat to avoid killing him from that alone but I still let a small percentage leak through. His clothes began to smolder as a result.

“Stay away from me!” His fingers moved again, the band for Iron magic glowing a silvery grey, this time I could feel metaphysical chains try to bind me.

“Useless.” I said as I shrugged them off.

Ra'meth seemed to have realized the reality of his situation as he turned to run.

But I was right there.

“You're a demon…” He said.

I compressed the black flames into a small point and made it hover above my index finger.

“You could have tried to come up with something more original.. Anyway, listen here.”

I  crouched to his level and placed my left hand on his shoulder and looked into his eyes, my right hand maintaining the black flames, which I held close to his lips.

“This is what you are going to do. We’ll forget this ever happened and you'll go on to do whatever you planned to win the spot of clan prince, I won't interfere with that. My only condition is you steer clear of me.”

He was scared stiff but still mustered the will to speak.

“Why..?” He asked.

“Oh don't get me wrong, this isn't mercy by any means. I fully plan to kill you eventually, just think of it as an extended trial of life. Who knows, if I see something interesting enough I might let you live.” I banished the flames from my finger and stood up.

“You might be strong but do you think you can stand against the entirety of the Jan'Tep? Letting me go might be your downfall.” He taunted as he rose to his feet.

“I don't know if you're blind or stupid.” I mocked him.

“What?”

“Ask yourself this question, do you think the entirety of the Jan'Tep arcanocracy can stand against me? Think hard on what you've seen today, do yourself a favor and live a slightly longer life, okay?” To make my point sink in harder, I teleported away right in front of him.

That should keep him spooked for a while.

I looked at my new location, in front of me was a mansion that was just there. No gate or anything, a recurring trend in Jan'Tep architecture.

The coordinates I used to arrive here had been from the shadowy realm I had observed earlier.

The door opened, a familiar face stepping out of it. It seems my presence had been detected.

“What are you doing here?” Ke'heops asked me, he had a completely different air from Ra'meth despite being just as power hungry.

“Clan prince.” I spoke only these two words.

His blue eyes seemed to glow in the darkness as he scrutinized me thoroughly.

“Come in.”

That was easier than I thought.

.
.

Ke'heops stared at me from behind his desk.

After exchanging pleasantries with his beautiful wife and being glared at by Shalla, I was led into this room that served as his office.

All around me were trinkets that undoubtedly had some value in Jan'Tep culture, there were also a lot of scrolls and books. Ke'heops seems like a diligent man.

“Who are you, really?” He intertwined his fingers, eyes narrowed at me.

“I'm done entertaining those boring questions, ask me something else.” I replied, I grabbed an interesting object from his desk and began to inspect it.

“What do you have to offer me?” He corrected himself.

“That's better I guess. As for the answer, what do you want?” Even now, despite letting me into his house, I could tell he didn't have a high evaluation of me. This is probably a test.

“I'm afraid you cannot give me what I want, I'm willing to settle for something lesser as long as it's worth my while.” He said.

“Tsk tsk, why do you have so little faith? Ask away.” I smiled at him.

“Very well. My wish is the continued prosperity of the Jan'Tep, satisfied?”

“No, actually. What kind of wish is that? Anyone can say they want that, it's pretty boring.” I knew there was something else beneath, and I wanted him to say it himself.

“I suppose you're right. Then on the same topic, what comes to your mind when you hear ‘The Jan'Tep arcanocracy’.” He stood up and began to inspect a map spread out on a larger table in the middle of the room.

I wonder what he's getting at with this question…

“Well, I haven't been around much but you guys seem too fragmented to be called an arcanocracy.” I replied honestly.

“Correct. Our people, while strong, lack an important factor. Unity. The Daroman Empire and the Berabesq theocracy have no such problems, it is why we have not succeeded in completely neutralizing them so far. Each town dwells in its own isolated bubble, it's a sorry state.”

Oh, I see..

“And you believe you can fix that huh, that's what you want?” He looked at me again, his eyes piercing through the dimly lit room to meet mine.

“It's for the betterment of my people, not some selfish wish of mine.”

Sure, everyone says that. Everyone believes what they're doing is for some greater good, most of the time, some take this mentality too far and use it to justify all their actions.

And from what I've seen about him, and his son, I could tell he was one of those.

As I was now, I despised this man. He would probably make a good leader but that didn't matter to me.

It was for this reason I let Ra'meth live, I didn't plan on interfering but I hoped he would wrest the seat of clan prince away from Ke'heops.

“Is that so? Then I guess I'll lend you a hand.”
I stood, my face level with his.

“And how do you intend to do that?” He seemed genuinely curious.

“The first step is becoming clan prince, no? The Jan'Tep place a high level of importance on bloodlines, and from what I can see, that's where you're vulnerable.”

“Kellen is not a liability.”

“We both know he is, that's why I'll help you fix that.” As these words left my mouth, I could feel the magic in the air thicken and churn.

Ke'heops seemed hesitant, like the idea of fixing Kellen conflicted greatly with his goals.

“Do as you please.” He finally said.

“Nice! I'll go see him now then, first I have to get to know the kid.” I made to leave the room.

As I walked, I felt Ke'heops gaze on my back. He was probably skeptical for the most part and suspicious for the least.

He probably felt confident, assured that his efforts were not in vain.

He was probably convinced that an outsider like me wouldn't be able to strengthen the magic he had personally weakened.

Yes, Kellen's lack of magical prowess was no fault of his, it was this man. And I knew why he did it as well.

Before I closed the door behind me, I gave Ke'heops one final look.

"I wish you good luck, Lord magus.”

You'll definitely need it.

.
.

Moonlight shone through my open windows, illuminating the room that was devoid of artificial light due to my inability to light even a single bulb.

My body still felt sore even after the healing balms my mother had administered to me.

Ferius Parfax had just left through the window by which she came, leaving behind the deck of cards we had used to play games.

I shuffled the deck, my mind still occupied by the interesting experience of learning how to play card games.

Knock knock

My door reverberated under the force of someone’s knuckles. I was about to turn the person away, suspecting it was Shalla before I remembered.

Shalla never knocks.

“Come in.” I said.

The door opened and I expected to see either the stern face of my father or the gentle gaze of my mother or the quiet stoicism of our Sha'Tep servant, Abydos, who was actually my father's younger brother.

But instead I was met with the unrealistically beautiful face of Rimuru Tempest.

“Hello there.” He said.

Remembering how I had been rude to him this evening, I felt embarrassed and didn't respond for a bit.

“Hello…” I finally managed to croak out.

“Nice room you have here.” He said as he looked around.

“How are you even here?” I asked.
There was no way my father would tolerate his presence after the earlier events.

“Well, I'm a guest of your deceased clan prince and your old man offered to accommodate me while I'm here.” Barring the interesting statement of being a guest of the clan prince, his entire claim was suspicious.

“Oh don't look at me like that, it's not like I'm here to steal something precious from under your father's nose.” That was oddly specific, somehow I'm suspecting that he wasn't being truthful.

“Okay then. So, why have you come to see me specifically?” I turned my eyes back to the cards in my hand.

“I'm just curious, you seemed to be in really bad shape earlier.”

And just like that, I was reminded of my shame.

“I'm fine, my mother is a great healer.” I grumbled.

“Is that so? You don't exactly seem healed to me.” His tone sounded like he was mocking my mother, just like that Ferius woman.

“What would you know about healing? You're just an outsider.” It was a petty insult that I swore to never use, but I couldn't help myself.

“You wouldn't believe any slightly honest answer I give you, so I won't bother.” He sighed.

“Uh huh.” I said dismissively as my hands fiddled with the cards.

“Hm? Cards? Since when do Jan'Tep play with cards?” He mocked me as he finally caught notice of the cards.

“They're not mine.” I said as I placed the cards on the stool next to my bed.

“Ferius gave them to you, didn't she? Interesting.” He hit the nail on the head.

“How did you know? And what's interesting about it?” Is this related to what my father called her? ‘Argosi’ or something.

“Seems like the Argosi really know what they're doing huh…” He muttered under his breath, confirming my suspicions.

“What are you talking about?”

Rimuru looked up from his thinking pose and turned to me, his mesmerizing golden eyes shone with mischief and determination, much better than the pity that I remember them for.

“Hey kid. Wanna play with magic?”

.
.

I don't really have anything to say, so I'll keep this short.
Feel free to ask about anything that's not clear.
Also, there's a pretty obvious hint about Kellen and his father's reasons for limiting him so comment if you figured it out.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

4K 183 9
The primary cast of Isekai Quartet find themselves in yet another new world. A botched summoning in another world goes berserk and the entire class...
157K 3.7K 17
This is the story of Rimuru Tempest, he was the strongest being that ever existed and the oldest. he was bored because he was the only one in the voi...
27.4K 1.4K 62
Ideas, alternate universes detailing what could have been. Deviations in thought patterns, events, feelings. All this and more can help create an int...
30.5K 937 74
In a new fantasy world, Rimuru Tempest, after reincarnation, finds an unexpected companion in the form of a cute, slime like himself. Together...