His Phoenix Eyes

By RivikiSera

Prince Farris Lumenne only wanted to find out the secrets of the magical artifact he picked up during the onl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5

Chapter 4

4 0 0
By RivikiSera

A million thoughts were running through Farris's head as he focused on his combat training.

"Your Highness? Maybe it's best if we ended our training a little early today?"

Farris looked up at Braeden who was holding his sword loosely by his side. As his usual training partner, Braeden could tell when Farris was not focused and sparring in this state could potentially harm the prince. Farris nodded mutely and was escorted back to his room. Eris was back in the kitchen and likely won't be seeing him again until tomorrow at the earliest.

The walk back to his room was quiet, too quiet.

"Will he really be beheaded in the town square? That seems a little ... brutal." Farris tested the waters. Though it is brutal, it is normal for someone suspected of using magic. Surprisingly, it was Tristan who replied first.

"There's no mercy when you're at war, Your Highness."

"But we're not at war." Farris immediately countered.

"Not... officially, Your Highness."

"What do you mean by that?" Farris stopped and turned around, giving the two knights his undivided attention, though Braeden was strangely silent.

"We might not be experiencing the Great War but our ongoing disputes with rogue mages will not end anytime soon. As long as there are magic users out there, the kingdom will continue to hunt them down."

Farris didn't like the wording, but he couldn't disagree with Tristan.

"What if he isn't a rogue mage?" Farris was on treacherous waters but he truly did not know how to proceed with his current predicament.

"Then... what else will you call him, Your Highness?" Tristan inquired, looking him straight in the eyes with a neutral expression. Farris forced his lips to curve and turned around, resuming his walk to his room.

"You're right, Sir Tristan. I'm thinking too much. I haven't truly experienced war firsthand and hearing my father mete out such a harsh punishment was unexpected."

"No problem at all, Your Highness. As someone who's been at the forefront of war, I'll be happy to answer all your questions and assuage any concerns you may have."

Farris pondered his words as they arrived at his door.

"Then, do you think the sentencing is fair?"

"Your Highness?" Tristan looked slightly uncomfortable, his shifty eyes a testament to his feelings. After all, the crown prince is asking him if he finds the King's decision fair. How does one answer such a question?

"Of course, Your Highness. Using magic harms both the user and those around them. The King is fair in his judgement."

The monotonous reply was expected. Farris simply smiled and nodded, before entering his room. Braeden and Tristan took their posts on either side of the door. It was silent for a while before Braeden finally spoke up.

"I hope you don't take His Highness's words too seriously. While he's well read about the war and knows what it entails, he's unaccustomed to the true brutal nature of it."

Tristan hummed his agreement.

"I believe it's good for the future King to question the nature of things. Even if he ends up making the same decisions as the King, he has the makings of a great ruler. He's not blindly following those who came before him. Queen Amaranth would be proud."

Braeden stayed silent, feeling extremely uncomfortable with this conversation. He didn't know the full story behind Tristan's reassignment but he suspected the knight had at least some bitter feelings towards the King for his decision. The last thing they needed was news to spread about the crown prince disagreeing with the King when it comes to matters pertaining to the mages.

"The crown prince is indeed brilliant, possessing the great qualities of both the King and the late Queen." Braeden was unequipped with matters involving politics. He hoped that was enough to dissuade any thoughts of discordance between father and son.

It was late evening by the time Farris stopped staring blankly at the ceiling. The sun had already set and his room was blanketed by darkness. A knock on the door broke him out of his thoughts. He sat up and quickly tapped his bedside lamps, lighting his room in a soft glow.

"Come in."

Eris walked in holding a tray filled with Farris's dinner. He placed it on the table opposite the bed and walked up to Farris, giving a small bow.

"The cooks prepared a special dinner consisting of roast pork and steamed vegetables with a side of chicken soup for Your Highness. Please enjoy."

When it looked like Eris was about to leave, Farris rushed out of bed, then stopped in his tracks as he noticed the open door. He could see the glimmer of Tristan and Braeden's armor as they stood on either side of his door.

"Do you think you could stay a bit longer, Eris? I'm feeling a little tired and could use the extra help to get dressed for bed."

Eris's eyes widened as he glanced out the door, before turning back to him.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness—"

"Forgive my intrusion, Your Highness."

Tristan's voice invaded their conversation as he turned around and gave Farris a quick bow.

"You may speak." Farris encouraged when he stayed silent. Farris was already preparing himself to shut the knight down if he forced Eris out.

"I was summoned by His Majesty while you were resting." Tristan allowed a rare, but small smile to grace his lips as he said the words Farris needed to hear. "Your punishment has been lifted and Eris is hereby reinstated as your personal servant. However, His Majesty still wants me to remain as Your Highness's guard. I'll do my best to make myself invisible so as not to make Your Highness uncomfortable."

Farris waved him off.

"That's alright. If there's nothing else that needs my attention, I'd like to have my dinner and rest."

Farris would care more about his manners if the situation wasn't so dire. Thankfully, Tristan simply bowed and closed the door shut on his way out.

"Eris!" Farris whispered urgently. "Something truly horrible has happened!"

Eris blinked at Farris, before slowly guiding him towards the table filled with food.

"Why don't you tell me while you have your dinner, Your Highness? As they say, a full belly makes a smart mind."

"Who said that?" Farris looked at Eris, trying not to laugh. He'd always say the weirdest things to get Farris to do as he asked.

"Someone wise." Eris nodded to himself solemnly as Farris sat down, laughing softly to himself. He needed the break from the tension that's been building inside him since this morning. He also knew Eris won't entertain him if he didn't eat his dinner so he quickly took a few sips of his soup.

"The mage that was sentenced this morning," Farris took a few bites of his meal before continuing. "That's my Mystery Man."

Eris froze for a second before filling up the empty glass with some water for Farris.

"Then the artefact they confiscated...?"

Farris nodded, succumbing to his lost appetite and letting go of the utensils.

"I thought it looked familiar." Eris shook his head in a daze, pushing the bowl of soup closer to Farris.

"I appreciate the gesture but I really can't stomach any food at the moment."

Eris wanted to protest, but thought better of it. He stayed silent, not knowing how to help.

"What do I do Eris? I can't let him die for something I did."

"What if he really was practicing dangerous magic?" Eris offered hesitantly, earning raised eyebrows from Farris.

"The town that had no magic users for years suddenly had an accident after I gave an artefact to a mage and told him I'd come for him in three months with four gold leaves if he opened it?"

Eris didn't speak further.

"It's too late to plead to Father. He issued an official decree, it's unlikely he'll retract it. All it'll do is speed up the mage's execution and earn me more punishment. I have to break him out!"

Eris startled, looking warily at the door before whispering urgently.

"Your Highness, that is treason!"

"Not if I don't get caught!" Farris said firmly. "If I could break him out then he would be fine. He's after all, one mage, compared to the hundreds that cause trouble all over the country every day. They'd look for him for a week before giving up. I owe him that much!"

"This close to the palace, he must rely on his magic to get away. That's assuming he has any abilities that will be useful in this situation."

That gave Farris pause. To his knowledge, each mage's magical abilities was a mixture of fate and inheriting their family's abilities. He'd simply have to hope for the best, in that case. And pray the mage didn't lose his mind in the process.

Seeing the prince's unmoving gaze, Eris started to sweat.

"Your Highness, I really don't think—"

"Eris, I cannot and will not have an innocent man's blood on my hands."

Eris sighed heavily. He already knew he would help the prince in any way he could. Though he had his misgivings when he was first employed at the palace, he had years to get close to and truly understand the prince's nature. Not for the first time, Eris regretted having a prince for a best friend. He smiled helplessly.

"Alright. What will you have me do, Your Highness?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 931 34
❝ Prince 𝐇𝐮𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐊𝐚𝐢 accidentally messes up with the warlock...and is cursed so that no woman would ever love him. Fortunately the prince i...
281 32 41
***SHORTLISTED for ONC 2023!!! Frederic Thunderboldt, a mage working in Uthen, has been having strange dreams every night. Dreams of a man with pure...
4K 333 26
Gun grew up with Off but the young man has a strange personality and he is sick, Gun can do everything for Off, he is ready to enter the world where...
5.7K 92 2
Malexmale (Sleeping Beauty) The hundreds of years he spent looking for his mate while his own soul and body slowly crumbles apart so far have been no...