Games of Deception (Hawkeye/A...

By queendarkside

Two people with two very different missions cross paths. One, an assassin hell-bent on attaining revenge for... More

Chapter 1 - Forgotten Items
Chapter 2 - Visions
Chapter 3 - The Escape
Chapter 4 - Meeting Again
Chapter 5 - Mind Games
Chapter 6 - Discovery
Chapter 8 - Another Night at the Bar
Chapter 9 - '70 Dodge Challenger
Chapter 10 - Bullets, Arrows, And Other Distractions
Chapter 11 - Weakness?
Chapter 12 - Lies and Invitations
Chapter 13 - I Don't Do Parties
Chapter 14 - A Theory of Resurrection
Chapter 15 - War, in More Ways Than One
Chapter 16 - A Change of Plans
Chapter 17 - Game Over
Chapter 18 - Reality Check
Chapter 19 - Vices
Chapter 20 - Decisions
Chapter 21 - The New Member of the Team
Chapter 22 - Tensions Rise
Chapter 23 - The Monster
Chapter 24 - Breaking Point
Chapter 25 - Compromised
Chapter 26 - Truth Revealed
Chapter 27 - War and Trust
Chapter 28 - Assembled
Chapter 29 - Confrontation and a One Way Trip
Chapter 30 - A New Beginning
Epilogue
*Sequel Notice*

Chapter 7 - Situations

8.4K 251 11
By queendarkside

-Jacqueline's P.O.V-

"So, you ever gonna tell me how your date went?"

"I told you, it was not a date."

Mariah raised her eyebrows at me, and I rolled my eyes, taking the last bite of my sandwich. We were sitting at one of the outside tables at work, having lunch. It was a cool afternoon, normal for late March, but still warm enough to enjoy sitting outside for a break. She was referring to the afternoon that I'd spent with Clint, which I really had no interest in talking about with anyone. I wasn't really sure what it had been, myself.

"I'm having a hard time believing that one, Jac," she piped up again as she leaned back in her chair and lit a cigarette, interrupting her own sentence to hold out the box in my direction, "I'll share?"

I shook my head, "No thanks." Mariah shrugged and slipped the box and lighter back into her pocket before she continued. "I mean, it's perfect. It's just like in that book when--"

"Please, Mariah, none of your shitty romance novel stuff again," I interrupted, trying to hold in a mix of a laugh and a groan. Mariah had this weird obsession with those overly cliche romance novels that you buy at the drug store, the ones that you always see little old women reading. I really didn't understand it at all, that romance nonsense wasn't of interest to me. "Besides, since when do you care about my, er, love life?"

"Oh, I don't." she stated, matter-of-factly. She laughed as she put the cigarette back to her lips. I couldn't hold back my smile as I stood up and grabbed my now-empty water bottle and sandwich bag, tossing them in the garbage while walking past Mariah.

"Riiiight. Well, I'm going to do this thing that some of us like to call work, have fun with your lung-killers."

Mariah shot some sort of remark toward me, but I didn't comprehend it. As I was opening the door to go back inside the cafe, that jolting feeling shot through my head once again, and another image flashed in my eyes. I put a palm to my forehead to try to make sense of what I was seeing. This time, it was Mariah being grabbed by the throat by her ex-boyfriend, Bryan. Wait, how did I know that? It couldn't have been anyone else, though. He was screaming at her, but I couldn't hear anything he was saying. The two had broken up around the time that Mariah and I had met; she had told me that during their long-term relationship he was really abusive and violent, and he swore to make her pay for leaving him the next time he saw her. Fortunately, he had been arrested a while back for a few counts of DUI, but he would have gotten out by now...he was looking for her.

I walked back over to Mariah, grabbing her wrist and pulling her along with me. She dropped her cigarette and glared at me, trying to pull away. "Jacqueline what the hell! This isn't funny--"

"No, it's not. Go inside, in the back, now." I look her in the eyes and she immediately realized something was wrong. Luckily, she listened to me and quickly did as I told her. I followed in behind her and stood behind the register, hoping that I wasn't just going psycho after all.

Then, it happened. About a minute later, he came walking briskly down the sidewalk. He shoved open the door and walked straight to me, slamming his hands down onto the counter. I could smell alcohol on his breath. I contained my shock that he was actually here, but let my disgust slip a little.

"Where is she?" he asked, eyeing me up and down. I wasn't particularly nervous, I knew how to handle myself in these sorts of situations.

"I'm sorry, where's who?" I asked, completely unphased. "Would you like something to drink?"

He glared at me, inching his face a bit closer to mine. "You don't serve what I drink here, and you know exactly who the hell I'm talking about. Mariah Costello. Where is she?"

I feigned a look of slight recognition. "Oh! Right, Mariah. You must be Bryan, she used to talk about you a lot before she quit."

"She...quit? Where is she now? What do you mean she talked about me?" I had confused him, good.

"I think she lives out on Long Beach now." His expression showed signs of realization, and he backed off a bit. I kept myself from smirking; I'd completely made that up.

"She did talk about moving out there..." I could now tell in his voice that he was practically drunk. A flash of sadness came over him, but he changed almost instantly and jerked his head back up to face me, gritting his teeth. "Fine. But if you tell anyone you saw me here today, I'll come back for you."

I nodded quickly. "Um, o-okay. Have a nice day, sir. I hope you find her."

"Yeah, you'd better," he mumbled, cursing as he walked out the door as swiftly as he had come in. I looked around, silently thanking God that no customers had been inside at the time to see anything.

"He's gone, Mariah," I said, letting out a breath. Mariah stepped out from behind the door and grabbed my wrists. She was still shaking slightly, and she stared at me with eyes wide.

"Shit, Jacqueline, that was him. I-I called the cops and told him where he was headed...how the hell did you know he was coming?!"

A silence went between us before I answered. I couldn't just tell her the truth, she'd think I was even more crazy. I didn't really know how I had known. And why was this happening to me now? It was obvious I had some sort of abilities I hadn't been aware of before. Was this the reason for those weird headaches this whole time? There had to be more to it than this...

I shook my head when I realized Mariah was still staring at me, waiting for a response. "I-I saw him, coming down the sidewalk. He hadn't seen you yet so I wanted to get you inside before he did. You showed me a picture of him once, remember?"

Mariah released her grip on me and sighed, nervously running her hands through her straight red hair. "Jacqueline, oh my God. Thank you. I don't know why that creep's out on the streets again. You handled that so well." She pulled me into a tight hug. "God, I owe you big time."

I reflexively tensed, apprehensively putting my arms around her. "Mar, you know I hate hugs...you can start by letting go of me."

She pulled back quickly. "Oh, right, sorry. I'm still kinda freaking out."

"I noticed," I said, smiling in an effort to make her ease up a bit, "Calm down, he's gone. The cops are probably after him right now. Why don't you go back outside and chill for a minute, I've got it covered here."

Mariah nodded, smiling weakly as she walked back outside and sat down at the same table we'd been seated at earlier. Once she was outside, I sighed, leaning on the counter with my arms and with my head resting on a hand, immediately losing myself in thought. I needed answers, and soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Clint's P.O.V-

Well, that was interesting.

I was standing inside a small shop across the street and a few buildings away from the cafe where Adams was working. She had been sitting outside along with the red-haired woman that had been there both times I had stopped by. I had originally gone into the store to actually buy some other clothes to wear since I would be stuck here for a while, and going around in my S.H.I.E.L.D uniform probably wasn't the best idea. Why they had not prepared me for this previously, I had no idea. I had to take any possible opportunity to monitor Adams's daily actions however, so I stood in front of the window, far out of sight from her or her friend.

I had only been looking at the two for a few seconds when Jacqueline stood up and began to walk inside, then stopped abrupty, grabbing the other woman and pulling her in along with her. A few moments later, a man stormed into the cafe. I focused my vision and saw through the window that the man had confronted her. I tensed, unsure of how she would react to this and prepared myself to respond, but she seemed completely calm and after about a minute the man stormed back out. I stayed inside the shop and watched as she spoke briefly to her friend that had made herself visible again, and then saw her slump onto the counter, clearly distressed.

Even I hadn't seen that guy coming until he was already inside. It was odd, the way she had reacted. She wasn't even looking in the direction he was coming from when she realized. So how the hell did she know? Fury had suggested that she may have some sort of underlying abilities, and I made a mental note to tell him about what I'd seen as soon as I returned to the place I was staying. I had been moved from the hotel to one of the nicer apartments there, where S.H.I.E.L.D agents who needed to be in the area typically stayed until they had completed whatever was necessary. It was quite nice I had to admit, but I'd still continued to tell myself I'd rather be back on the Helicarrier; it was more of a home to me than anything at the time. Not that that really mattered now.

I turned around and after looking for a few mintues bought a few things in the store, then stepped back outside onto the busy streets. I looked up; Stark Tower could be seen clearly from here, despite all of the other skyscrapers crowded around it. I couldn't help but roll my eyes; that was Tony Stark for you, taking any opportunity to show himself off. And to think we almost allowed him to help us out with...

I interruped my own thoughts and went back to what to do about Adams; did I walk across the street to speak to her, or did I try to get some more information on my own? I wanted to talk to her again, which I still didn't entirely understand, but I felt like it was unlikely that I'd find out anything new. I quickly decided on the latter, being as that I was almost certain the redhead had caught a glimpse of me as I was walking and I didn't want to cause any further suspicion.

As I walked back to the apartment, I began to plan out what I'd be doing next. Tonight Fury would update me on what information Adams had hacked into so far, and what I needed to be doing based on what she currently knew. I also knew that I would be monitoring her in a different environment on Saturday; she had invited me to watch one of her performances at the bar where she worked occasionally. Sure, that was where I had initially seen her, but that night I'd only had time to take her phone and leave before I was noticed. This time I would be watching her every move, studying how she reacted with the people around her to find out if they knew anything about her that she wasn't telling me. There had to be someone that at least had a hint of something. There always was. Honestly, I found myself looking forward to that night. There was no harm in that, right?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.9K 5.6K 65
Being a teenager is hard. But being a pyrokinetic, telekinetic teenager with the prospect of an entire throne to Asgard, is even harder. It's been a...
159K 3.5K 60
This is part one of a planned three part series. By chance, Kathryn Coulson finds herself on the Helicarrier with no memory of her past and a terribl...
1M 28.3K 18
Whilst in combat in the US Army, Ava Richards stormed a terrorist base which contained chemically manipulated gas with extreme side effects; in Ava's...
42.1K 752 48
Elliot Barton is one of the best agents Director Fury has. When sent on a mission, he and another, who later joined, made a different call. That cho...