Tales, Scripts, and Accounts

By SiWongWanderer

A non-chronological collection of ATLA-accurate lore that tells the history of Neilu and Shi Ban Dao. Both ar... More

Prelude: A Study on Foolishness
The Legend of Dilong
Three Street Urchins
Navika's Legacy
Among the Shadows
Hornets from Jinuwo
Lady Kezhan: Neilu's Trophy
Butchers from Omashu
Vibood: Neilu's Mastermind
Treacherous Tavern Tables
Gitika's Nightmare
Endless Dunes
Where Lone Wolves Gather
A Lost and Forgotten Love
Tactically Charismatic
Avatar Tests in the Fire Nation
Gutting the Ganzao Tribe
Malleable Mad Men
Before Reading- The Reader's Guidebook

Akuga, the Rat King

11 3 3
By SiWongWanderer

Everyone has seen or heard a rat at some point. They're disgusting- both humans and animals. You can't trust them. They always have their nose in your business and you loathing their existence. Alone, they're not difficult to deal with. One successful trap or exterminator can stomp them out without a sweat and then the vermin problem is solved for the time being. But there's never just one. They're never alone.

Even in small packs, these things can be a pain for anyone who hasn't dealt with such a situation before. All it takes is a couple rats to scare away customers, destroy merchandise, ruin a relationship, or poison an entire family's reputation. Unorganized swarms of these scuttering vermin are horrendous. When they're organized and hunting as a pack... It's truly a nightmare. You'll find rats left and right. Searching through your trash or hearing them through your walls... sometimes you'll occasionally find one or two dead in your basement. And when you leave, you'll see them in the streets, among the many markets and bars. But you can't do anything about it. There are far too many. In Neilu, there is no escape.

It hasn't been long since the raggedy souls littering the streets of Neilu were truly simple beggars and addicts. Ones scrounging for enough coin to afford food so they could postpone starving another day. Constantly being kicked to the curb by gate guards for caravans or merchants to set up stands in their place. No future and no hope. Among these rats happened to land a traveling politician of sorts- a politician only because he was good with his words. While visiting the tavern, he was drugged and mugged, then mistakenly kicked to the curb like all the rest. And everyone expected the hungover, greasy looking young man to accept he was the victim. To retreat and return home, tail between the legs and counting his losses. But Akuga was not that type. He bathed in the sand and dust with the crowds of homeless junkies as they gossiped about the assailant's history. Who they were, where they'd be, and how their collected information would be relayed to a man they called the Rat King. Not to mention he'd pay a nice amount of coin for a finder's fee.

Aside from perhaps the Silver Tongue- leader of the ever-hated Snakes, the Rat King was said to be one of the oldest titles in Neilu. Passed down through generations to whoever proved themselves most worthy for the title. It was the highest position over the lowest type of people. The Rat King controls the largest amount of people because word spread that even the poor and dastardly could have a chance at becoming something in Neilu. Of course, that's not true, but they believed it and migrated to the caravansary anyway. All those within the walls compete for status among other rats, stepping on one another every chance they get if it means showing the King their worth. This is especially true in times where the title is more vulnerable. A large defining factor of how valuable the head title is relies on which ruler the merchants currently trust most. Historically, merchants of Neilu tend to trust whichever ruler leaves them feeling safer after coughing up their intel for coin compensation. Payment size was also obviously a large contributing factor to the merchant's loyalty.

Less than a day was all it took for the Rat King to round up a band of scrawny, streetside crooks. Alone, they weren't much, but to face the pack was a mistake. And when they showed up at both the front and back door without warning, the assailant knew there was no escape.

Akuga could have simply reclaimed his possessions and left Neilu like any logical person would have. Left without an intent to return. Instead- after getting robbed and ravaged by people he soon found out were Snakes- he saw more untapped potential for the homeless in this forsaken excuse for a city. See, even an infrequent tourist like himself could tell the people of this place had many secrets. So he scavenged some more. Returned to the dirt and those who lined the streets to start searching for a whole lot of secrets.

Avoiding exposure is far from a simple feat when Rats are always assumed to be within earshot. They could be anyone from an old beggar on the corner to the shopkeep you passed while perusing the bustling market. For the right price or amount of intimidation, even random tourists essentially become rats because they'll squeal to one of those branded vermin without a second thought. Point is, someone with secrets will always figure out what they shouldn't. You cannot hide beneath the moonlight or among a mid-day crowd. There is no escape.

Anyone with secrets can be blackmailed for some form of profit. The King knew that, it's how he earned his position. Profit that Akuga knew many Rats were missing out on. So he began to act on it. Initially, it was retroactive payments after useful secrets or rumors yielded income. More consistent payments gained the local's loyalty. A trusted few got custom brandings to "show dedication to the King." Most didn't know they meant the new King. The one who generously gave back. The one who truly lived among them in the shadows instead of a small palace inside the city.

Word spread quick about this new competition- as you would expect to happen among rats- and Akuga was soon summoned before the King. Brought to face another man who also earned this position. To his dismay, it wasn't an old raggedy geezer. Dirty brown hair and a bit on the shorter side. Most likely early twenties and a few years older than him, but well spoken like a scholar.

"I approve of the initiative and gall, Akuga. Asking around for information on me? Through my people? Even I wouldn't do that if I were in your shoes. What possibly could have been your intentions? Murder? You don't seem like the type."

"Knowledge. Leverage. Attention. Any of the above. It sure seemed like your people are living in squalor and I was hoping to change that. Living on the streets? That's no way to treat your people."

"I keep them alive and they keep at their jobs. A solid compensation for those who would have nothing otherwise. If they all looked like nobels, it would be difficult to play their part, no?"

"So you keep them in that condition for what? Entertainment?!" Akuga sneered and noticed those in the room shift at his enthusiasm that bordered anger. Almost like they were anxious for what would frequently come next.

"No need to get worked up, friend. This is a discussion. Who are they to you anyway? Tell me, do you like living among the rats? Because no offense to you guys in the room-" The King looked at those who escorted Akuga to the room "but I... I'm not the biggest fan." The whole room waited for Akuga's response. He almost didn't think he should say anything.

"They are people just like you and me. Largely hated, sure. But these days, it doesn't matter if you're trying to save the world or end it. Someone will hate you regardless." Akuga waited for a response and got none. The King was taken aback for what seemed to be the first time in a long while. Stunned by wise words.

"And no, I'm not the biggest fan of living in the streets either. No one is. But I'd rather live among whoever I consider my people to be. Not hidden away in a mansion like a spoiled coward-" The King's eyes widened and the room hushed in anticipation. Most even held their breath like they expected an execution to take place before their eyes. As if it had happened many times before.

The Rat King waved his hand just as an actual Fire Lord would and the rest of the room vacated. Two were left. Akuga wasn't convinced he was leaving the room alive. He was then asked to sit in the chair that somehow appeared out of thin air behind him without an explanation.

"How would you like for them to truly become your people?" Spoke the King with the utmost seriousness.

"Excuse me? What exactly are you asking?" Is what Akuga decided on responding with.

"This is a formal offer to conditionally transfer my title to you, should you accept. No one would resist your orders and all future information would be relayed to you. Profit you make with the intel is yours to manage. I've been trying to escape this rat race for a while now so I can move onto greater things. Not another soul has shown as much passion or potential as you have. After... observing you for weeks, I think you're an ideal candidate for the position."

"Conditionally? What's the condition?"

"We become business partners. When I need information, you provide it quickly and accurately. Also that you continue to support all the Rats and preserve the thoughts you voiced today no matter the cost. Otherwise, I will have you replaced."

"Partners? What do I get in return?" The soon to be retired Rat King chuckled and stepped down from his throne to walk over towards Akuga. Paced in a circle around him as if swarming his prey. Doing one final check to ensure this was the one he wanted.

"While some Rats around here may listen to you on occasion, the streets of Neilu will always remain loyal to me." He paused, then continued to walk around to the front of Akuga and with a deft motion of his hand, earthbent a rugged stool from the stone floor as he sat in it. "Only by my request will they exclusively listen to you. And in the future, if I'm not dead or imprisoned, you will be one of the few invited to live with me in my new life. Hopefully as a friend."

The man sat up and held out his hand to motion sealing the rather vague deal that seemed too good to be true. Akuga raised his hand to accept, then hesitated.

"First, what's your name?"
"Shake my hand and find out."

Inside the walls of the Neilu Caravansary still reigns a Rat King. A King of Beggars. A lowlife who organizes all these pitiful degenerates and buys any information he wants for only a small tribute. His name is not popular by preference, but more a collateral of profession. Whispers of this name now travel the caravansary more often than any other leader within the walls. Akuga. Akuga, the Rat King. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

997 48 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...
7K 141 8
A hundred years ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. That changed, though, after Avatar Roku died and Fire Lord Sozin launched the Great...
22K 753 12
It was one mistake that led (Y/n), a young girl from the Northern water tribe, down a path of twists and turns. After being somewhere she was told no...
39.3K 2.2K 17
🌪️🔥🌊🪨 ── ATLA┊❪ ꜱᴏᴋᴋᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴜᴋᴏ ! ❫ ##. ❛ 𝐓𝐎𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 ❜࿔*:・゚ a ATLA LIVE ACTION fanfiction. ╭──╯ IN WH...