The Missing Piece // Scarlett...

Autorstwa Onixena

"The Missing Piece" is an exciting novel of drama and tenderness that will take you through the search for th... Więcej

In a Dysfunctional Family
Mirror image
Planning the Unpredictable
Lost in Central Park
Rescued
Mama Bear
Subtle Hints of Secrets
Storm from the Past
In the present time
Rose is at home
The Long-Awaited Day
Games and Detentions
Hectic Day
It Can't Happen Again!
Unveiling the Smiths
Waking in Silence
Breaking the Catatonia
Between Therapy, Games, and Judgment
Revealed Secrets and a Drenched Watch
Missing
White Water
Between Demons and Smiles
School Return
Take 20! Action!
The Echo of the Tick-Tock
Behind The Silence
Between Tenderness and Anger
Return to the Warmth of Home
Bitter and Sweet
Changes and Mad Pace
The Found Piece

Countdown

1K 53 36
Autorstwa Onixena

⚠️ Warning: This chapter may contain sensitive content, addressing delicate topics such as kidnapping, abuse, and harm. I've tried to approach it as gently as possible, but if it's not to your liking, even in a mild form, it might be preferable to skip both this chapter and the next. Take care!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The surroundings of the house were heavily guarded by a contingent of private security. The imposing presence of the guards did not go unnoticed by the children. Scarlett reinforced surveillance at Rose's school and adjusted her routine, choosing to personally take care of Cosmo and June while the police conducted their investigation. It wasn't a matter of distrust towards her mother-in-law and mother, but rather a precaution to preserve her own peace of mind. She preferred to have her children in sight while immersing herself in her work.

June, playing the role of a devoted older sister, stayed by Cosmo's side while their mother attended to her duties. They had toys, books, and enjoyed breaks in Scarlett's cozy caravan.

"Would you like to do a puzzle, Cosmo?"

Cosmo nodded, settling more comfortably in the wheelchair with his mother's name. In front of them, a table full of treats and juices awaited. June opened Sing's puzzle box and arranged the pieces near her brother to make the task easier.

"Cosmo, if we put the frame together first, it'll be easier to follow. Look for the corners," June advised, connecting the pieces and applauding each time her brother completed a section.

Meanwhile, June began to feel the need to use the bathroom. She didn't want to interrupt her mother during the filming or leave her brother alone to venture out in search of a restroom. When she couldn't hold it any longer, she spotted a girl touching up her mother's makeup and, on one occasion, handed her a lollipop.

"Hello," June greeted the girl, who was absorbed in her makeup kit. The woman, upon seeing the girl, smiled. "Could you stay with my brother? I need to go to the bathroom. Please."

"Of course, sweetheart," the girl approached, taking a seat in the available chair. June informed Cosmo that she was going to the bathroom but would be back soon. June ran when she felt it was urgent. She thought she wouldn't make it until she saw the restroom sign. Relieved upon exiting, she felt disoriented. She clasped her little hands and began to look for the place where her mom was filming. She passed by another film set, and the familiar sound made her scream and run with her hands over her ears. She didn't stop until she could hide under a table, holding her legs.

"Isn't that Scarlett's daughter?" they whispered, but June didn't stop; she only did when she could hide under the table, holding her legs. 

"You shouldn't be here, little one," a man crouched down to pull her out, but June started screaming, getting further under until her back hit a wall. "Whose child is this?" he crouched down to look at her, checking the pass, and upon reading the last name, he opened his mouth in surprise. "Which set is Scarlett Johansson on? I think she lost her daughter."

The scene was considered wrapped up, and Scarlett returned to the table with her children, encountering her makeup artist Brenda and her son, but there was no sign of June. A chill ran down her spine: "Where's my daughter?"

Brenda looked up. "She went to the bathroom, asked me to stay with her brother for a moment."

"What? I told her to come get me or wait," her eyes scanned the surroundings, her nervousness escalating. She rushed to the nearest bathroom but didn't find her daughter there. She returned hoping she had come back; she would then hug and scold her for disobeying her instructions, but the girl wasn't there. "No, no, no. JUNE JOHANSSON!" She screamed in desperation.

A young woman rushed in, approaching. "They asked me to come get you, didn't know which set you were on. Your daughter is under the table, but we can't get her out."

Scarlett, already suspicious of everything, placed her son on her hip and followed the young woman to the other soundstage. It made sense that June had gotten lost; with their similar appearances and some different touches, the place was enormous, and even an adult could get disoriented, let alone a child.

A group was gathering, and every time they tried to hold the girl to pull her out from under the table, June screamed, and the crying intensified.

"Leave her alone, you're scaring her," Scarlett ordered. She put Cosmo down, holding his hand to approach and crouched. "My girl, mom is here. Come to mom, little bug." She extended her hand, and June blinked, crying, recognizing her mom's voice. She took her hand and came out, hugging her tightly. "What happened, sweetheart?"

"The noise, the same noise," she pouted.

Scarlett took a few seconds to process what she was saying and looked at the onlookers. "I know you won't tell me what the movie is about, but what noise is she talking about?"

They all looked at each other. One of them answered, "It was a sequence of gunshots."

"What?" Scarlett's face paled. She took her daughter in her arms, who clung like a koala, and took Cosmo with her. She stopped for a moment to turn around. "Thank you."

They retreated into the shelter of the caravan. Cosmo, not fully understanding the situation, focused his attention on the cartoons his mother had put on the television. The caravan, sealed tightly, allowed Scarlett to lay June on the bed.

"June, my love, it's over."

"That sound, Mum. I thought the bad man was here," June managed to articulate as she calmed down.

Scarlett stroked June's cheek and kissed her forehead. "They were filming a movie. I got scared, June. You left without permission, didn't come to me as I asked."

June lowered her head at the reprimand. "I didn't want to interrupt your work."

"June, I can repeat or start from where I left off. Don't ever do something like that again, understood?" Scarlett infused seriousness into her tone.

"I promise," June said, lifting her gaze. She then extended her pinkie to connect it with her mother's. "Pinkie promise."

The afternoon passed without incident, with the children trying to finish the puzzle. It was almost complete, but one piece was missing. June bent down in case it had been lost under the table and then looked at her brother. "Cosmo, do you have the piece?" Cosmo checked his pockets in case he had mistakenly put it there and then shook his head. "It's not here." Frustrated, she looked at the puzzle and crossed her arms. "Well, we can't finish it, Cosmo." Cosmo started to pout, but June raised her hand, stopping potential tears when an idea occurred to her. "Look, Cosmo." She took out a blue pencil and did her best to make it resemble the missing piece. Then she opened the backpack with the things they had brought to pass the day without boredom, cut it with scissors, and then tried to fit it in. She sighed to see that it wasn't perfect, but it looked more complete, and she smiled satisfied. "There, Cosmo, we did it!" "Yes!" Cosmo high-fived his sister, pleased with the achievement, both children unaware that they were being observed by Scarlett and the film cast, who smiled with satisfaction.

Scarlett didn't know what to think throughout the day. She didn't receive any more threatening calls, left the set with security both in front and behind accompanying her home at all times. Rose was picked up by Colin when the shoot extended, and Scarlett, upon arriving home, noticed from the expression on her daughter Rose's face that she had a fever. The fact that one of her children was now sick didn't bode well; while June and Cosmo continued together, Rose lay on the couch with a blanket and a thermometer in her mouth.

Scarlett's body tensed. The last time Rose fell ill with June present was when they took her daughter away at the hospital. Comparing the events was inevitable. Sensing Scarlett's unease, Colin took her hand and led her to the kitchen.

"What's happening, Scarlett? More calls?" Colin asked.

Scarlett shook her head. "Rose has a fever."

"I know, but she's had a fever on other occasions. Maybe she's just incubating a cold. Nothing that medicine, care, and rest can't improve," Colin reassured.

"I know, it's just that, Colin, I'm scared. June had a breakdown when she heard a gunshot in a sequence from the other set. She said it was the same sound she heard on the phone. I don't know if it was a macabre isolated joke or something more serious. And the last time I lost June, Rose had a fever, and we had to go to the emergency room. It's too much," tears fell, and Colin hugged her immediately, feeling helpless not being able to protect his family or say something that truly comforted his wife.

"The last time, I wasn't here. Now you have me, Scarlett, and whoever is doing this, the authorities will catch them," he kissed Scarlett's lips and wiped away her tears. "Now, you have to be strong. If the kids see you like this, they'll worry. But once they're asleep, it'll be time for you to let it out."

"Yes, you're right," Scarlett took a breath to compose herself and looked at her husband gratefully. "Thank you, I needed that. I'll make soup for dinner; Rose will benefit from it. Is there fever syrup left?"

"Yes, I gave her some when she got home from school. Go on, take a shower, and I'll take care of the soup," Colin offered, and Scarlett immediately accepted, needing a relaxing bath. She let the children continue playing while keeping Rose company. She wasn't there for too long, as it was time to give her children a bath. She kissed Rose on the forehead. "Come on, kids, all three to the bathroom."

Rose shook her head. "Mum, I don't want to now."

"Rose, sweetheart. It's hygiene, and it'll do you good. Then some soup and off to bed," she tapped her eldest daughter's nose, and seeing her still reluctant, carried her to the bathroom in her arms, making her laugh. "Troops, I want you behind Mum, pronto!"

June grabbed Cosmo's little hand to follow Mum. Scarlett had already prepared their pajamas in the bathroom. When they were in the tub, Rose's sulky face turned into a cheerful one when she splashed June, who blinked as she didn't expect it. She returned the favor, and they started a water war in the tub that alerted Scarlett when she saw the swamp of water everywhere. "Girls!"

Immediately, June and Rose stopped. Then they became aware of the amount of water they had spilled. Cosmo, unaware of the problem, grabbed his toy boat full of water and threw it at his sisters.

"Cosmo!"

Cosmo looked at his mum, left the toy, and the three looked at Scarlett, seeing her anger. June shrank, sinking deeper into the water, fearing Scarlett's temper. She had never seen her so angry, and she didn't know what to expect after meeting Carter and especially Marian. Her lips trembled with tension, and she burst into tears.

"June," Scarlett softened her tone, carefully entering the splashed floor to avoid slipping.

"I'm sorry, Mum, I was naughty. I won't do it again. Don't send me away," June begged, crying. Rose, seeing her sister like that, held her hand to squeeze it and make her feel comforted.

"June, you'll stay with me forever, and listen carefully, you're not a bad girl, rather, at times, a bit mischievous like your siblings. You misbehaved only because you splashed water everywhere. Now Mum will have to clean up, or you might get hurt when you get out. Mum is upset about that, but none of you are bad."

June, confused, nodded as she looked at Scarlett. Although she maintained a stern expression, her eyes conveyed the same affection as always, and June's body relaxed. Observing the soapy water they had spilled outside, June stood up, feeling the chill. She was about to leave the tub when Scarlett stopped her, making her sit back down.

"We're not done; we still need to wash your hair," Scarlett responded to her middle daughter's bewildered look.

"I have to clean up," June announced.

Scarlett lifted her daughter's chin to look into her teary green eyes. "Mum will take care of that. You, like your siblings, have to take care of tidying up the room when you mess it up, so stay put," she pointed with a finger, making June nod, and began washing Cosmo's head, then June's, and finally Rose's. "Play a bit more, and this time, no splashing. I'll go get the mop, and don't even think about coming out," she gave a stern look that made all three nod and swallow.

A week passed without more calls. Scarlett even spoke several times with Harold and the FBI contact, who didn't have good news. This only annoyed Scarlett more; the phone was prepaid and bounced off repeaters, leading them to believe it must be someone skilled in computer science, possibly the same person who hacked into the mobile.

She continued to maintain extra security as a precaution. Rose returned to school after her recovery, and June threw a tantrum when she had to stay in school due to an exam; she wanted to go back with her mom to the film set. But Scarlett couldn't afford to leave after entering, so she told June that she had to stay in school until she picked them up. June got so angry that she stopped talking, which upset Scarlett, but she didn't give in.

June took the exam, which turned out easier as she knew the material and had studied for it. However, the atmosphere in the class was uncomfortable. Although Daisy hadn't said mean things to her, she hadn't spoken to her either, and everyone seemed to ignore her. She only smiled when she met Rose in the courtyard.

"How was the exam?"

"I think it went well. Rose, I don't want to go back. I don't like my class. I want to go to yours," June pleaded with a pout.

"June, I wish I could, but you can't. You're younger," Rose replied, placing her arm over her shoulders. Rose's other friends looked at her with pity; Rose had explained what happened to her sister in class. "Come," she pulled her, and as soon as June saw that they were approaching most of the girls in her class, her body tensed. "You, if you say anything to my sister or make her feel bad, you'll have to deal with me."

June was about to tell Rose that most of the girls were ignoring her, but she fell silent seeing that her sister only wanted to make her day more bearable. So, instead of speaking, she hugged her.

"Because she's my sister, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. My mum already knows, and she's getting angry. Next time, it won't be me who says it; she'll come to the class," Rose threatened, bluffing. "So, you better treat my sister June well."

The girls opened their eyes and nodded; the bell marked the end of the break, and Rose kissed June's cheek.

"Tell me if they misbehave, see you later."

June went in, and now those same girls Rose had talked to were looking at her. They weren't talking to her, but at least they weren't ignoring her or giving her mean looks. Just with some curiosity; one even smiled at her. June didn't know what to think.

Scarlett finished her meal when she received a call from her mother. Melanie was hysterical.

"Scarlett, Cosmo... I can't find him! He was at the park. I swear I just went to get a juice from my bag."

"What! Mum, I told you not to take him out."

Scarlett had to apologize and leave the film set early. As soon as she arrived at the park, the police were already there with a crying Melanie. Scarlett, trembling, called Colin. Like Scarlett, he hurriedly left work, completely desperate, feeling the immense anguish Scarlett had to go through when June was taken at the hospital.

A police officer showed up at the school to pick up Rose and June. Both girls, frightened to see a policeman, held hands. The officer briefly spoke with the principal and then crouched down, looking at the girls with a warm gaze.

"I'll take you to your mum."

"And Mum?" June asked. "Is Mum okay?" Her voice trembled, fearing the answer.

The police officer nodded, looking at the girl.

"Something happened, but your mum is okay. She'll tell you. My job is to get you safely to her," he opened the back car door for both to sit. Once he made sure they had their seatbelts on, he sat in the driver's seat. "Did you have a good time at school?"

"Yes," Rose replied.

June tilted her head, looking ahead, still uneasy and holding Rose's hand. She felt strange and worried, looked out the window trying to calm herself, recognizing the route a bit. She just wanted to get home and see that her mum was okay, that everyone was okay.

Melanie fainted, Scarlett was the second to faint. Two hours and still no sign of Cosmo. Scarlett knew that the longer it took, the less chance they had of finding him. Colin remained composed, surrounding his wife, completely terrified. His own family kept calling, wanting updates.

Relief washed over him when he saw his little one being carried by a girl in her twenties.

"Cosmo!" Colin shouted.

Scarlett looked up, and relief washed over her as she saw her little one completely unharmed. Cosmo embraced his parents, crying. The girl who found him opened her mouth in surprise to be in the presence of Scarlett Johansson herself and swallowed.

"I found him, bought him a lollipop, and we were looking for his grandmother," she explained immediately. A police officer approached to question her.

"Where are we going?" Rose asked the policeman, realizing it wasn't the way to their house.

"Your mother isn't at home," was the officer's response. An evil glint crossed the agent's eyes, and Rose, seeing it, instinctively squeezed her sister's hand. "It's true you don't recognize me, Althea."

June's eyes shot open as she understood why she was so tense. She tried to open the car door, but the man laughed and locked it.

"Let us out!" June shouted.

Rose looked terrified at her little sister, not understanding what was happening. June, on the other hand, was in the same boat. Her sister's hand no longer comforted her; they had to get out of there. No matter how hard she tried to recognize the man, she couldn't.

"You'd better shut up and not test my patience," he drew his weapon, the monster keeping one hand on the wheel.

Rose screamed, June fell silent.

The car veered into territory Rose didn't recognize. The streets became completely unfamiliar and moved away from the city center. They ended up inside a warehouse; the supposed policeman got out of the car and opened one of the doors, unbuckling the belt to pull Rose out, who screamed when he grabbed her arm too tightly.

"Don't hurt my sister!" June shouted, following her sister, pulling her away from him. When the man showed the gun again, pulling the trigger.

"Stay still or things will end much worse, and then you'll have reasons to scream and cry."

June grabbed her sister's hand. They were taken to a dirty, cold, damp room where they were forced to sit on a chair and tied with a rope. Their mouths were covered with tape. By now, Rose and June were already crying. They couldn't move; they were in an unknown place with an armed man.

"Now, you'll be good girls, and we're going to call your mother. We'll give her a nice surprise she won't forget," the man smiled and began calling with the speaker on. "Is there anything missing, Scarlett?" he asked once the line picked up.

"You again. Don't you have anything better to do than annoy me?" was Scarlett's annoyed response. Rose had never heard her mother speak like that, but just hearing her mom calmed her down quite a bit.

"I'll ask again, is there something important missing?"

"What do you want, you bastard?"

He hung up and took a picture of the two tied-up girls to send them via mobile with the attached message: "Are you sure nothing is missing? Your daughters say hello."

Scarlett's phone rang again, and as the image unfolded, her world crumbled. Colin, seeing the state of his wife, approached, along with his mother. They were still at the park with the police; Melanie called them before they left.

"Colin, my daughters, my daughters!"

"They were at school," Colin claimed. "It can't be real; it must be a cruel hoax. Call the school."

Scarlett sighed, trying to muster hope, knowing that there were skilled people who could do such things, but the school delivered the worst news.

"They say they were picked up by a police officer who showed his badge."

The police officers exchanged glances.

"None of us sent a patrol."

"My daughters!"

Scarlett lost consciousness and, when she regained it, was receiving medical attention at home. Colin was concerned, not only for his wife's condition but for the girls, whom he loved as his own.

"He called again; I answered, but he refused to talk to me," Colin explained sadly. "The police are at home, in the established dining room, with a team connected to the mobile in case they get lucky and find their location."

Scarlett sobbed, embracing Colin.

"I didn't protect them; I should have protected them, Colin. I'm their mother," she then pulled away, covering her face, utterly defeated. She couldn't lose her little ones. As best as she could, she straightened up to go downstairs with everyone; Melanie was in Cosmo's room, who was asking about his sisters. Fenan tried to distract him by playing, as his mother, Melanie, had a distant look in her eyes.

Scarlett was briefed to try to make the kidnapper talk and discover his possible location and what he wanted.

He called again, and Scarlett answered: "What do you want? Tell me how much money you want, and I'll prepare it." She didn't mind paying whatever it took to have her daughters home.

"Money doesn't fix everything, although I suppose someone as affluent as you thinks they can buy everyone."

Scarlett swallowed, especially seeing the concern on some police officers; that tensed her.

"So, what do you want?"

"Let's play a game, Scarlett. Write down an email and the password I'll give you," he gave the instructions, and Scarlett took note. Then, a police officer handed her a laptop from the unit, and she accessed the account he mentioned, receiving an email. Clicking on a video, it unfolded, and she could see her little ones live, tied up, crying. The scene devastated her.

"They look good, don't they? Photogenic," the man laughed, turning Scarlett's stomach, as she was unaware of what he was capable of. "Let's play a game."

"Tell me what you want, and let's end this," Scarlett pleaded.

"I have you on voice; the girls seem to relax hearing your voice. Although I'm having fun, I'll give you the opportunity to end this. I'm that merciful. Decide."

"What?" Scarlett asked, confused.

"Decide who lives and who dies."

All the police officers tensed at the kidnapper's request, realizing this was not a standard kidnapping. One of them urged another to continue tracing and hurry; the girls' lives were in danger.

Scarlett held back a sob. "What are you saying?" she managed to articulate, terrified.

"Easy, decide who will return home safe and sound and who will come home in a box."

"Please, please, don't hurt them. They're just innocent girls. I'll give you anything you want. You can even tell me where they are and leave. Please, just let them go."

"Not amusing. Now I'll give you half an hour to think about it, or chance will decide for you. It will be fun to broadcast a game of Russian roulette, don't you think?" He hung up after laughing.

"I have a defined area, but I'm not sure if it's a repeater," the technician reported.

"It's more than we have, Roger. Stevenson and Parker, go and take three pairs of patrol cars. We don't know who he is or what he's capable of yet. Listen to the recording again in case you hear any background noise that might indicate a more precise location."

Scarlett collapsed onto the sofa, sobbing. The piece of furniture, now a witness to her despair, could barely bear the weight of her anguish. "He's going to kill them, Colin. He's going to kill them," she brought her hand to her chest, feeling the pressure engulfing her. Oxygen was in short supply, and she was attended to again, trying not to sedate her too much, as they needed her at full capacity.

The man, hidden behind a balaclava that gave him a sinister air, approached the girls, crouching down to be at their eye level. From the camera, everyone in Scarlett's living room could see the sequences, and the helplessness was overwhelming as they watched him so close to the terrified girls.

"I'll remove the tape from your mouths. Don't scream unless you want me to hit you," he ripped it off without mercy, hurting both girls and leaving a red mark on their lips and chin. "I'll let you say your goodbyes. Not everyone is that lucky. One will go home, and the other never will."

Rose cried, uttering incomprehensible stuttered words full of pleading. June, equally frightened, looked at her bound legs. She turned her gaze back to her sister at the man's words; she loved Rose, her best older sister, and she knew firsthand what it was like to have a bad brother, as she had John for a few years. She also loved her mom; she had been living with her for a few months, but the connection was established quickly, as if her body and mind recognized her true mother before she did. Before June arrived, her family consisted of her mom, dad Colin, Rose, and Cosmo. June closed her eyes; her head hurt from thinking so much, she was so scared, but she didn't want the people she loved to get hurt because of her.

She looked at the man, trying to recognize him, but now, covered with the balaclava, it was more challenging.

"Let go of my sister," her lips trembled as she spoke.

The man smiled. "How brave. Do you know that decision will keep you from seeing the light of day again?"

June looked puzzled, not truly understanding that sentence. She just wished her sister to be okay. Her mom must be worried, and her sister Rose was good; her sister Rose was always home. Even though she, June Johansson, had been away for a while, it wasn't the same.

"Unless you know your mother will choose her over you. After all, she doesn't know you, does she?"

June stared at him, aware that it might be true, but she still didn't want her mom to suffer, and neither did Rose.

"Let Rose go."

At that moment, the man called Scarlett again.

"Have you decided?"

"You bastard, release my daughters."

"Can't make up your mind? Would you rather spend your abundant money on two coffins and funerals?"

"You son of a bitch! If you don't let my daughters go, I swear I'll kill you. I'll go to jail, but you'll be underground."

The actress's outburst surprised even the police themselves. Although, of course, they understood it; what they didn't know was whether the woman would be capable, but Scarlett's threat was deadly serious.

"Well, that means you don't decide, interesting girls. Your mother seems to love both of you. They'll know by the end of the day that you were loved more than many people manage to figure out in their lives, even if one comes back and the other never does. At least one did her job and decided for you, Scarlett."

"What do you mean?"

He pointed the gun directly at June's head, at such a close range that a mistake was impossible; it was point-blank. June closed her eyes, feeling the cold metal against her temple, and no matter how hard she tried to avoid it, she couldn't and wet herself.

One of the technicians displayed a triangle of dots: Triborough Bridge Abutment. The team prepared to leave, and Scarlett intercepted them.

"Mrs. Johansson, you have to stay here."

"No, if my daughters are there, I'll be there. They need their mother, not more strangers."

The captain sighed, knowing how insistent mothers could be.

"At all times, stay out of the line. You can only enter when everything is neutralized; at those moments, your daughters will need you."

In the van, a technician kept the laptop open to have the virtual sequence of what was happening.

"I'm inside his computer. How should we proceed, sir?"

June clenched her teeth, preparing for what would come next.

"Turn on the sound; maybe without being on the phone, he'll let something slip."

Scarlett's gaze was fixed on her little ones, whose faces were reddened from crying, and on the little girl being pointed at with a gun. Scarlett longed to teleport and retrieve her little ones, to be the heroine she portrayed in her movies, especially this time for her daughters, the most important in her life.

"Althea, they won't take long to locate me, and time is of the essence."

"He keeps calling her Althea; he knows her from the past. Maybe he's a relative of the Smiths? My daughter struggles to recognize him; maybe she saw him a few times or was too young to register it," Scarlett shared with the agents in the van, who took note in case it was relevant.

"I'm June Johansson."

Hearing her little one affirm her identity in that way, no matter how scared she might be, made Scarlett feel a twinge of pride.

"Rose," she pouted, looking at her older sister. She didn't want to have to say goodbye, but they were being forced to do so. "I love you so much, you're the best sister in the whole wide world and beyond infinity and beyond," Rose's tears flowed as she listened to the intensity with which her sister spoke. "Always be the same with Cosmo," they couldn't join hands as they were tied and somewhat separated. "Take care of Mom and Dad for me. Tell Mom..." she broke down in tears, losing the feigned composure. The fear wasn't leaving; it was taking over her. "Tell Mom that I love her three thousand."

Scarlett's green eyes clouded even more; a lump was choking her throat. "Run, they'll hurt my little one," she urged urgently, hating that the man was getting so close to them.

The man, still crouched and aiming at June with the finger, lightly squeezing the trigger, took off the ski mask as he looked at the girl. "All of this is your fault. She always wanted a perfect life, and after giving you everything, you couldn't contribute to making it that way."

"Loving Scarlett so much when you've only lived with her for a few months. And what about Marian?" he grabbed the neckline of the hoodie, pulling her forward. "You're a selfish weasel."

"My sister is none of those things! My little sister was stolen from the hospital when I was sick. That was wrong," Rose lashed out with a burst of courage.

The van stopped on the outskirts, surrounded by several patrol cars with their alarms deactivated to avoid alarming the unstable and unknown man. "He knows the Smiths," Scarlett repeated. "Who is that man?"

The inspector in charge of the case contacted the central to send some inspectors to the penitentiary and talk to Marian Smith. "We have to verify if all of this is real and if he intends to cause harm or what he might be capable of. Mrs. Johansson, you must remain inside the van at all times," they insisted to Scarlett, who reluctantly nodded. Being told that while her daughters were possibly in the hands of a stranger filled her with nerves.

"She was so blocked by the family, by Carter. Then you betray her like this after everything she did for you," he continued talking, dangerously rocking the gun with his finger right on the trigger. Rose didn't understand anything of the conversation, while June managed to piece together some parts of the message. She kept staring at him, frowning; she didn't know many people from Marian and Carter, besides neighbors, so they didn't have much closeness.

The man scratched the side of his neck, revealing an inverted cross, and June's eyes widened suddenly. She looked at the man again with different eyes. "Nick."

Nick, upon being recognized, showed a malevolent smile. "Took you a while, though on second thought, what were two occasions?" He grabbed June's chin and began squeezing until the girl felt pain. "If I hear you say my name again when I call, I'll shoot your sister, and then I'll go for your mother."

"No, no, please, no. I won't say anything," she pleaded through tears, and the painful grip that left an ugly mark was released, taking a step back.

He put on the ski mask as he stood up to look directly at the video. He grabbed the phone and waited for three rings.

"I'm in a good mood, so I'll let you talk to them," he brought the phone with hands-free close.

"Babies," Scarlett called, holding back a sob.

"Mom!" both girls said in unison.

"Mom loves you, and she'll come for you soon. Trust Mom."

These words amused Nick, who didn't mind interrupting the maternal moment. Then he addressed the video. "I know you're close, but by the time you enter, one will already be dead."

Several kilometers away, Marian Smith was taken to the women's penitentiary visiting room for questioning. From the conversation, the agents could agree that the woman had no idea what was happening at that moment, and that gave them some advantage.

"Mrs. Smith, do you know someone named Nick?"

Marian's expression reflected complete bewilderment. "Yes, but I don't understand why this has to come up now with my case."

"Who is Nick?"

"What is all this for? I've already been judged, had the damn trial. Do they want to extend my sentence?"

Both agents didn't grasp her words and decided to investigate as much as they could, aware that time was running out. "Mrs. Smith, you may not have done things right in the past, but family always meant something to you, especially your children."

"That girl betrayed me," she expressed her displeasure, recalling June and her performance in the trial.

"Do you despise her so much that you would want to see her dead?"

Marian opened her eyes in shock. "What do you take me for? I'm not a child killer; I'm a mother, for God's sake. Althea just needed to come home and more discipline to remember her place."

"A certain Nick has Althea Smith," they deliberately used the old name to stir Mrs. Smith even more. "He's pointing a gun at her."

"That's a lie! It can't be," she vehemently denied; at that moment, the inspector showed her screenshots of June being threatened with a revolver to her temple. "My God!" Marian Smith's eyes widened abruptly. "He's insane."

"Mrs., it's time for you to tell us who this Nick is."

Marian, who also thought of John, looked at the agents. "If I cooperate, will my sentence be reduced a little?"

"It could be considered if you're quick and truthful," one of the agents responded.

Marian Smith began recounting who Nick was, adding a surname to the story. Nick Perrys was the genius who helped her obtain legal papers for her daughter, ensuring no complications when enrolling her. Thanks to that, she legally acquired a health card.

"What does he have against you?"

Marian shifted uncomfortably at the question and tilted her head. "Will my husband find out about this?"

"He doesn't have to if you cooperate; otherwise, we'll have to ask him."

"We slept together a few times. It was a way to keep him quiet. Don't think there was love involved; I love my husband. He came very sporadically to the rural house when I had to stay with Althea, and my husband would go with my son John."

"We'll verify the information. If everything checks out, your case will be reviewed for your cooperation," they communicated before leaving.

With the new information, it was easy to locate Mr. Perry's residence and even learn about his profession as a computer engineer, which facilitated access to various public institutions. Although he had a criminal record for violence since his youth, nothing directly indicated his involvement with children. However, a psychologist classified him as unstable and a potential psychopath.

Faced with these details, the inspector looked at Scarlett, who struggled to reassure her daughters. Everyone put on bulletproof vests, aware that they would have to force their way in. Throughout, Nick Perry refused to engage in dialogue with a negotiator, making his objective clear from the start.

"No, don't hang up, please!" Scarlett shouted, fearing the worst when Nick positioned himself again next to June.

Glancing around, Scarlett noticed the van was emptier. She stepped out before Colin could stop her. Seeing her, a police officer outside offered her a vest, which Scarlett accepted; her heart was pounding.

Nick released Rose, who fell to the ground when her legs gave way. "Run, or you'll be next."

Rose looked at her sister, completely torn. She wanted to get out of there, but she didn't want to leave her little sister.

"Run, Rose!" June shouted, looking at her sister intently and nodding. June wanted her sister to be able to save herself. Rose, feeling bile in her throat, ran out, colliding with the first inspector who was about to open the door. Rose was put in a safe place, but upon seeing her mother, she ran towards her. Scarlett felt immense relief seeing her little one, albeit battered, in one piece.

"Rose, my girl, go to the van with Colin. It's not safe," she reluctantly requested. Rose did so, and Colin held her in his arms the entire time.

A gunshot rang out, and Scarlett's heart stopped.

Hi lovely people! 🌼 I hope you're having a great start to the week! I've planned a few chapters to provide you with readings throughout the week, alternating between stories. I know I left the chapter at a crucial moment, 😬 but we'll have to wait for the next part. 🤞 Patience, despite the suspense, I hope you've enjoyed the reading. Many thanks to the new followers and for all the support! 🙌🌟 Thanks for the stars and comments, they mean a lot and inspire me to keep sharing not only this story but many others I have in mind. Have an excellent week! 🌈 Take care and love yourselves even more. 💖

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

281K 10.4K 94
Nova is a 16-year-old orphan, just waiting to become 18 so that she can finally get out of the orphanage. With horses being her only escape from the...
273K 7.9K 134
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
14.5K 612 26
Vallejo Series #1 Muffin Date Started: 12/27/2023 Ended: --/--/----
4.9M 222 1
This book moved to my other account @PaisleyViking Top Ten in Werewolf Category in 2013 and 2014. I smelled them as soon as I had walked out of the...