Celebrity Castaway |ONGOING|...

由 Iv_Roo

#1 in Manan stories | As on Apr'24 | *New chapter is published every Sunday at 10-11am IST* Ever heard of the... 更多

Curtain Raiser
Character Introduction (IMPORTANT!)
1| The End
2| Cold Shoulder
3| Superstar Manik
4| Kidnapped
5| Scandal
6| Face Off
7| Brand MaNan
8| 1st Public Appearance
9| Friend's Trouble
10| Baes of Showbiz
11| One Favour
12| Page 3 Dinner
13| A Bizarre Offer
14| So Many Lies
15| We Are Pregnant
16| Press Conference
17| Dirty Publicity
18| Hide & Seek
19| Breaking News
20| Gone Too Soon
21| The Farewell
A Little Note on Abhimanyu's Demise
22| Love Pockets
23| Bundle Of Joy
24| Sacrilege
25| The Last Straw
26| Merchants Of Death
27| Ground Zero
28| Take 2
29| The Nightingale
Author's Note: 1
30| Girl On High
31| A Villain Is Born
32| Manan Movie
33| Muhurat Shot
34| Drunken Feelings
36| Onscreen Smoke
37| Whackadoodle
38| Showgirl Business
39| Vanity Affair
40| Vogue Girl
41| Queens Rule
42| The Fuckening
43| Surprise, Surprise!
44| Another Malhotra?
45| MaNan vs. ZaNan
46| Awards Night
47| Players
48| Situationship
Miracle of Eid: Happy Announcement!
49| Censored XXX
50| Tabloid Culture
51| Catastrophe
52| A Star Is Born
53| Tipping Point
54| The Heirloom

35| Rising Phoenix

2.4K 296 115
由 Iv_Roo

A/N: Hello dear readers, we are back with a new chapter again, as promised! I hope you enjoy the read & shower me with loads of votes, in-line comments & after thoughts!

On that note, Happy Reading! :)

***

"Here, drink this." Manik turned around on his bed to see Cabir standing next to him with a tablet and what he strongly suspected was a glass of lime water. He wore a deep frown, which got Manik pondering, because he had seldom seen Cabir look so serious.

"I don't need it." Manik tried protesting vaguely.

"Yes you do. Otherwise you will be hungover throughout the time of the magazine cover shoot and be a pain in the ass for all of us around you." Cabir snapped.

"What shoot? I thought I had the morning free today!" whined Manik, holding his head, which had started throbbing already with this much conversation.

"You had it free, until you blew up this engagement that was slated for last evening and decided to go on a date with Rose & ended up making a fool of yourself before Aryamann & Nandini. I had to pull in a lot of strings to arrange for this today, because from tomorrow your dates are all blocked for your movie shoot with DV Films." Cabir replied mechanically, still sounding pissed.

"Okay, yes, I agree. I might have gone a bit overboard; but what's with the long face?" Manik tried to joke as he accepted the drink and the tablet from Cabir and gulped it. He knew he had fucked up last night, but he couldn't let Cabir delve deeper into it, could he?

Cabir stared at Manik's cranky, remorseless behaviour and for one wild moment, really toggled with the idea of a possibility that he was suffering from dissociative identity disorder (DID or commonly known as split personality)! "Seriously Manik? That's all you have to say?" he asked him incredulously. Manik rolled his eyes.

"Fine, I'm getting ready. Stop being such a sulk" Manik commented, as he got up from the bed. Cabir nodded his head in exasperation.

"Umm, Cabir, please send a bunch of some fancy flowers & chocolates to Rose, on my behalf & send a note saying, I'm taking a raincheck on the dinner". Manik's voice caught Cabir off guard, as he requested him before strolling into the washroom to get ready.

***

Manik was adjusting his hair, looking into the mirror when his eyes fell on Cabir, standing behind him with a frown. Manik sighed, he wasn't going to let it go, was it?

"What is it, Cabir? Spill." Manik spoke, while casually running his hands through his hair.

"Manik, man, I can't understand you anymore. What are you up to? What are you doing?" Cabir sounded genuinely bothered. Manik smiled. He knew his friend was concerned, but what could he possibly tell him, when he nowadays didn't know what he was doing half the time?

"What do you mean?" Manik tried maintaining the casual tone.

"You want to tell me you willingly went on a date with Rose Godfrey yesterday?" Cabir expressed his first doubt.

"Of course! Unless you're implying she convinced me to come on gun-point" Manik sniggered, trying to keep it light.

"So, Rose replaced Nandini, so easily?" Cabir asked straight up, freezing Manik for a moment. As if that was even possible!

"Cabir, we've been through this before. I am just a well wisher for Nandini now, nothing more. As for Rose, well, she is so hot, man. It's ..it's basic attraction, don't you get it?" he replied, winking at him.

"So in basic attraction you take Rose out to the same bistro where Aryamann & Nandini had plans of visiting, and then you crash their dinner, get drunk and flirt with Nandini, ignoring Rose so royally that you need to fix it by sending flowers & chocolates today?" Cabir cross questioned, folding his hands.

Manik rolled his eyes. "I wasn't flirting with Nandini, Cabir. We were just talking." he clarified. Cabir laughed a mirthless laughter.

"In a sentence that has Nandini in it, you cannot focus on anything or anyone else, and you claim you're attracted to Rose & you are just a well wisher for Nandini?" Cabir snapped.

"You are reading too much into it, Cabir. I was drunk and Nandini & my past is..err..complicated so I may have flirted a little. That's it. I do like Rose, and that's why, I am trying to apologise by asking you to send her the stuff." Manik tried defensively.

"Manik you got drunk, because you were saving Nandini from drinking, and then you forgot Rose because you were busy trying to get Nandini to call you by your name!" Cabir spat. Manik stared at him in shock, how did he get to know? "Manik, in showbiz even the walls have ears, don't you know?" Cabir replied, with a smirk.

"Whatever, it means nothing." Manik snapped back, leaving the room. However, Cabir had had enough, he was not done today.

"Manik, how dare you try putting Nandini on a guilt trip by telling her she forgot about her child! If you're just screwing around with Rose, it was purely sadistic of you to remind her of her horrible past! Plus what's wrong if she has moved on? You know it right, it was a PR move there was no baby, God damn it!" shouted Cabir in trepidation.

In the very next moment, Cabir found himself being hauled to the door and shoved against it with Manik strangling him by the collar with the wrath of the Devil in his eyes. Cabir was dumbfounded at the sudden attack and he fell short of words, as he stared wordlessly at the seething form of Manik Malhotra trying to choke the life out of him! It took Manik a good ten seconds to realise how badly he lost it, before he finally let go of Cabir with an angry grunt. "Just fuck off from my face, right now, Cabir!" he bellowed, turning his back to Cabir and breathing hard to regain control.

To say the least, Cabir was shocked! "You love her alright, but something is stopping you. I knew it." Cabir whispered with conviction as a guilty Manik turned back to look at his friend. "Listen Cabir, I am sorry, I lost control..I" Manik began, ignoring his rambling.

"You love her Manik, and you are shattered to lose her and not the fiction-child, but the possibility of ever having a family with her; Nandini is your most audacious dream!" Cabir spat, ignoring him.

"Just shut up, Cabir." Manik replied hoarsely. Cabir was pushing all his wrong buttons today, and he wasn't sure he'd be able to hold for long.

"Why are you playing Rose? To make Nandini jealous? Why are you indulging in such childish frivolity, when you both love each other & only ever have to go and fess up before her Manik? What is stopping you?" barked Cabir, shaking Manik by his shoulder.

"Let it go, Cabir. It's complicated" Manik muttered, giving up, and trying to push him away. However, Cabir had seen and heard enough, he was in no mood to comply. "Fine. You be this way. Suffer in silence for God knows what reason, but Nandini doesn't have to. If you can't tell her your feelings, I will. Then she will make efforts to break this wall of yours and I'd like to see you trying to stop her!" remarked Cabir, in deep vexation, and tried walking out.

"You will do no such thing Cabir Dhawan" Manik's voice thundered behind him, but he didn't stop. Just as he was about to exit Manik's penthouse, Manik caught up with him, and pulled him back. As he turned around, he was astounded seeing not anger but panic & was it fear in Manik's eyes?

"I forbid you!" Manik commanded, with red eyes.

"Stop me if you can!" hurled Cabir, and pulled out of Manik's grip and marched towards the main door, when Manik's next words stopped him.

"They will kill her, if you do." Manik shot at him, and it felt like someone had dropped a bucket of ice cold water on Cabir. He was expecting some hurdles to be the cause of Manik behaving weirdly with Nandini, despite loving her, but her life was at stake!?

"What the fuck?" Cabir snapped, turning back, and what met his eyes, was not the legendary actor Manik Malhotra, but a broken man, who had lost it all. "Tell me everything" Cabir whispered, hoarsely, as Manik finally made eye contact with him and nodded with a sigh.

"I was hiding it from you, to keep you safe." Manik whispered, crashing down on a settee nearby.

"Is this why Abhimanyu died?" Cabir was quick enough to add two to two. Manik nodded in guilt, looking down. "You still have a choice to not hear it & save yourself." Manik added. Cabir laughed in a hollow way. "Yes that, or hear it and suggest smarter ways to keep Nandini alive, which doesn't involve you both scaring each other emotionally & staying apart."

"There's no other way." Manik sighed.

"We'll cross the bridge when we get to it." Cabir replied, bringing hope.

***

"You've cleared all the background checks and technical rounds with Mukti, and Smaran has recommended you to me, Ranbir, but I would like to ask you one last question" Nandini said, looking straight into the eyes of the man sitting before her on the couch opposite her's at Mukti's.

"What is that, maám?" Ranbir asked, politely, with a smile.

Nandini looked at his face, he was a spitting image of Cabir, only he wore glasses, and was more muscular in built. "You know, right, that your twin Cabir Dhawan works for Manik Malhotra, my ex husband?" Nandini asked, and as she expected, the mere mention of these names seemed to rile up Ranbir; although he controlled himself and nodded curtly.

"..and you know about our history & all the scandals that followed until recently?" she asked, again, and he nodded in affirmative. "So give me one good reason, Ranbir, accounting for why I should trust you?" Nandini posed her question and deeply looked into his eyes.

Ranbir sighed looking down, then gathered his thoughts and looked back at Nandini, with a firm smile on his face. "In contrary to popular belief, or my brother's belief, I am not here for revenge, maám, so if that is why you chose me, I am afraid I am not your guy." began, Ranbir. Nandini smirked. "So I was right, you have indeed spoken to Cabir about this."

Ranbir smiled curtly, shaking his head. "As a matter of fact, Cabir contacted me after five years almost to tell me to not join you; he wanted us apart so badly that he breached our silence of five years to talk to me." He replied.

"..and why did you indulge him, after five years?" Nandini questioned, with a straight face. "I was curious." He replied.

"..ah..listen, Nandini maám, with all due respect & to answer your question I will tell you this again, I am not here for vindication as Cabir believes and you might suspect." began Ranbir, looking confident.

"Then what is your motive, Ranbir? You can't be getting in the middle of this without one, I believe?" tackled Nandini.

Ranbir sighed, "As a matter of fact I do have an agenda to drive, but that's not making friends with Manik & Cabir's enemies to defeat them. I know pain, Nandini maám. Let's just say, I have been deeply hurt by them & since I didn't stop them last time, they continued to hurt people, you became their next victim. I just want to make a right, maám. I feel my guilt will be lessened if I can be there to ensure that they don't hurt you and I am the one to stop them if they tried. I believe it will let me breathe easy." Ranbir muttered, looking forlorn.

"How did they hurt you?" Nandini asked, trying not to show too much sympathy, lest it all be a trick.

"That's personal!" Ranbir replied.

"Trusting you with the naked truth of my life & agendas, if I hire you is also deeply personal. I need all the answers before I can consider, Ranbir." Nandini replied, nonchalantly.

"Very well then. It has to do with a woman. A woman I loved dearly and lost because of them." Ranbir replied, after a while. Nandini looked into his eyes, there was honesty & raw pain there. Even after five years. Her instinct told her he wouldn't harm her. Also hadn't Manik told her the same thing? He had slept with Ranbir's girlfriend; he was bound to feel hurt & pain. It was a normal emotion of any decent man.

"Maám, you can trust me, I mean no harm." Ranbir whispered, and there was this desperation in his voice. A desperation, Nandini realised, to correct his wrong; to step in & stop Manik & Cabir from continuing to emotionally abuse people.

"I trust you, Ranbir. You are hired." Nandini replied, with a small smile.

Ranbir smiled too, whispering a thanks. As he was about to leave, Nandini spoke again, "Ranbir, I hope you won't break my trust."

"Never maám. Never." he whispered, before leaving.

"Woah, that went well. A tad bit too melodramatic for my choice, but good enough!" Nandini turned around and smiled to see Mukti coming out from her room.

"Ranbir, I hope you won't break my trust!" Mukti mimicked her, and she chortled. "Girl you've got some drama!" Mukti added.

"What to do now? If I didn't make him vulnerable how'd I know his intention? Also, how'd I make him my ears & eyes into Manik's life through Cabir?" Nandini replied, rolling her eyes. Mukti nodded in agreement. "I wish I knew what exactly went wrong between Cabir & his brother. They were never very tight, but something had happened in the past when they absolutely fell apart & never reconciled, only Cabir was never too open about it.." muttered Mukti to herself.

"Hey by the way, Zubin just texted, he is on his way here. He wants to discuss your promotional strategy for this film with Manik & also wants to know when are you & Aryamann announcing your collaboration." Mukti spoke, while typing on her phone.

"So, Zubin texts you now?" Nandini asked, keeping a soft tease in her voice. Mukti rolled her eyes, "Ughh, we're just doing our jobs here, woman!"

"Of course, a job you don't get paid for, and he gets compensated in peanuts." Nandini replied, keeping the tease. It was nice to see Mukti smiling again.

"It's also a job, which if done right, will ensure Abhimanyu's justice for me. That is greater than any pay, Nandini! As for Zubin, I believe he is also in some way cleaning the ledger.." Mukti mused.

***

"What the hell!" Cabir cursed hoarsely, as Manik completed his story. Manik sighed, seeing his friend in shock. He had been there too, and it had taken him quite some time to recover.

"Manik, your family, they are crooks! They need to be behind bars!" barked Cabir, in shock. "They killed Asha Devi ji in cold blood & now Abhimanyu! We need to stop them, before it's too late!"

Manik sighed. "Cabir, if we try stopping them, we just might be able to, but guess who'd definitely get slaughtered in the journey; Nandini."

"Manik, but we can't..." Cabir stammered.

"So to bring justice to two dead innocent people, we kill a living innocent person?" snapped Manik.

"Would you have thought this the same way, if the living innocent person was someone other than Nandini?" Cabir attacked Manik again. Manik looked down. He loved his grandmother & Abhimanyu, he trusted him. No, he wouldn't sit quietly if spilling on his family would jeopardise the life of a stranger and not Nandini.

"I guess not." He mumbled, looking down.

Cabir stared at him. "Then I am sorry, Manik, but your love for Nandini is your weakness not your strength. If you were the person who'd choose the life of any living person over the justice of dead people, I'd get it, but you're changing the rules for Nandini, because she is Nandini, and that is not fair!" Cabir accused him.

Manik was living on the edge anyway, this accusation made him lose it. "I don't care what you think of me, Cabir. I am happy to be unfair, and ungrateful to my grandmother, whom I owe everything & Abhimanyu, whom I owe my life for saving Nandini, if that means Nandini will be alive & breathing right in front of me. It doesn't matter whether she hates me or loves me, I will protect her." hurled Manik, in desperation.

Cabir sighed. "Manik, what's to say, they will honour their part of the deal? What if they try to kill Nandini anyway & God forbid succeed? Would you not regret not going to the cops when you could?"Cabir tried again.

Manik tensed up at the mere possibility. "That's why Cabir, that's why I need Nandini away from the limelight! I want her gone, to live happily far away from all this mess, so that they have no incentive to kill her. That's how our deal works!" sighed Manik.

"Cabir, I don't have any proof on them; my only proof is my mother, and she will never testify because she thinks, if she does, they will kill me & I fear they will not kill me thereby killing the Malhotra legacy, but they will definitely kill her. I can't lose her either. Now without concrete proof, even if I go to court, they will keep using their powers to postpone the hearing dates and the longer they are out in the open knowing I have broken my deal, the more dangerous it will be for Nandini. Her life will be in constant threat." panicked Manik and Cabir tried calming him down.

"Cabir, I have thought this through in every way. There is no way out. In order for Nandini to live, my daadi and Abhimanyu cannot get justice and I take full blame for it." Manik whispered, shaking. Cabir sighed in defiance, too.

"Manik, why don't we tell Nandini the truth? Then we can have her on our side, hide her, protect her to the best of our ability & meanwhile hunt for proof against your father & grandfather? That way you both don't have to be heartbroken too, you guys will have a real shot at happiness!" Cabir tried again.

Manik smiled ruefully. "You know Cabir, I chastise myself for wishing this, but sometimes I wish it was any of my bodyguards or Zubin or someone random we had lost instead of Abhimanyu that day. Nandini would be a sensible person to approach then; but we lost Abhimanyu. The one real connection Nandini had made in years after her Aams. She considered him her only family. She wouldn't react to sound logic, or her safety if she knew Abhimanyu was murdered by my family & they are walking free around us every day. She'd lose it, she'd risk everything, including herself to expose them and we'd be back to square one; we'd lose her!" he explained, and somewhere deep down Cabir knew it was true.

"So what do we do now?" he asked, looking down.

Manik let out a long breath and covered his face with his hand. "There's only one way left. I will make her life so miserable on the set, that she will want to run away. And if she abandons her first movie, that will be enough reason for showing unprofessionalism & her other projects will also drop her due to bad name in the industry. That's the only way." he muttered.

"You think you can pull this off, after what you did last night?" Cabir asked in a strained voice. "I will have to figure out a comeback" Manik mumbled.

"Manik, from what I know of Nandini, she was never a fame crazy person, why'd you think she came back? Just to avenge your insult? If she was that person, why'd she wipe herself from your world after your divorce? She had the same motivation then also, right? If not then, why now? And if she is here with a motive, you think you can drive her away by being shitty with her & giving her a hard time?" Cabir wondered aloud.

Manik nodded, these were his concerns too. "My theories are, last time it was just her & there were no feelings involved from my side & this time it was her & our baby & she had seen my honest feelings in my eyes. She feels more deeply wronged. But, these are just theories. That's why we are trying to plant Ranbir with Nandini, remember, he will validate it or tell us of other possible motives. Then we can plan accordingly." Manik replied, sounding thoughtful.

Cabir sighed, seeing the plight of the man standing before him. From crushing on Innaya and wanting to marry her to today, his friend had come a long, long way. "Manik, I will pray to God that at the end of this long meandering journey, you, Nandini & your baby, find a way back home together." he whispered. Manik smiled sadly hearing him, and whispered, "Amen"

***

"..umm..okay, so this is sorted. You will maintain the damn girl spunk whenever you address press for the Manik movie & continue with the no string attached attitude & as for the Aryamann movie, you need to be seen with him for lunches, dinners, movies etc. so as to create a buzz around you guys dating, that is the only way you can steal the limelight from Jeff Irani, who is the female lead in that movie; however Nandini that will be tough, Jeff is a constant A lister & has a solid & stable fan base, turning that around to your favour can't be easy..." Zubin spoke professionally, going through various PR dashboards on his iPad. For a moment Nandini was transported back in time when she'd be a part of these conversations with Zubin giving his endlessly long PR counsell to Manik and Nandini would sit & dread what they'd make her do next. How times had turned. Today the same Zubin was sitting here and helping her map Manik's downfall!

"..exactly Mukti, that's what is bothering me too. I mean I had a full fledged campaign planned to retaliate, but the Malhotra's never made an attack at all! I mean after Manik tried to stop Nandini from taking up the movie offer, you'd think the Malhotra seniors would wreak havoc! I know how badly they wanted Nandini off any publicity that didn't help Manik! How is it that they're so quiet about it?" Zubin's new query transported Nandini back to the present. She smirked.

"Let's not worry about the Malhotra seniors, unless they actually do something against me, okay, guys? Let's focus on my career." Nandini replied, as the other two nodded. Nandini glanced at Mukti with a meaningful nod. She and Mukti had decided, while they'd let Zubin work on the PR, but he was not to be trusted with the full plan. It wasn't safe, his vested interest wasn't so big that he'd not leak if pressured adequately; so their larger motive of finding clues of Abhimanyu's murder on Manik & the Malhotra's was hidden from him.

"Why the hell did we agree for this appointment, father?" Shrikant's irritable voice reached Nandini as she stood outside the den of her old hell, Jannat mansion, awaiting for the staff to let her in.

"If a foolish lamb walks into a lion's den, only a stupid lion would scare it away from the gate, son." Shamsher Malhotra's voice rang through the wall, instilling more hate inside Nandini then she knew she was capable of feeling.

"What does she possibly want with us? I don't know how she has developed the guts to face us after her audacity of stealing Manik & Innaya's trailer launch last night, before the media." snapped Shrikant, and before his father could respond, the staff opened the door of the den and curtly asked Nandini to step inside.

Everytime in the past Nandini had entered this dark room, decorated artistically with shades of blood red, dark mahogany & very little amber lighting, she had felt intimidated. The large life size framed posters of movies starring the Malhotra men from the 1950s until Manik, seemed to belittle her, telling her how insignificant she was when compared to the legacy of this family. She felt like their opulence mocked her, telling her to count herself lucky that such an unworthy woman got a chance to be a part of this legacy.

However, today was different. Today she wasn't scared. Fear was strange, mused Nandini; it only came when one knew there was someone to protect us if we're to be harmed. Maybe that's why since she lost Abhimanyu, of all emotions that wrecked her, fear wasn't one. Maybe deep down she knew, there was no one standing behind her anymore to protect her? Fear had abandoned her. Abhimanyu had taken her fear with him, in death. What was now left was a warrior, who was capable of fighting to keep herself safe.

"Girl, you have some gall to request for a meeting, a day after you ruined my son's trailer launch." Shrikant Malhotra's sneer broke her reverie. She curled her lips into an evil smirk.

"Let's just both agree right here that Manik is nothing more than a puppet in the larger scheme of things. That's why I came to visit his puppeteers instead." she replied without batting an eyelid. She could tell both men were taken aback.

"What do you want, girl?" It was Shamsher Malhotra who spoke this time, eyeing her from behind his desk.

"Diplomatic immunity of sorts, in the showbiz industry that seems to run by your laws." replied Nandini, looking straight back at him. This was the man she referred to as Darji most of her married life, and he was the same man who had called her a whore in their last meeting.

Shamsher Malhotra smiled, seeing this petite, diminutive, weakling morph into a little kitten with claws now. The game would be fun to play now. "..and why should I grant you that?" he humoured her.

"Why are we even listening to her trash?" snapped Shrikant Malhotra in between but Shamsher shushed him, earning his glare and Nandini's smirk.

"..because I want to be a part of this industry and I come with a white flag. I will be of no harm to brand Manik and by extension you all." she replied in a strong voice.

"..you are delusional to think you can impact brand Manik." snapped Shrikant. Nandini finally turned to face him, irritation evident in both their faces. "That's not what last night's trailer launch looked like." she replied sassily, earning more glares. Then she turned to Shamsher Malhotra.

"See, I could just as easily have said all the truth out loud, about how I was manipulated, mistreated & finally thrown to the press as fodder. I wouldn't have evidence, but it would still cause a scandal and impact brand Manik's equity, right? But, I didn't. I said good stuff about him & it impacted him positively. From this we come to know two things; one, I can impact brand Manik positively or negatively & two, I chose to impact it positively and that's my part of the peace offering for you." Nandini delivered her point of view. Shamsher looked at her thoughtfully.

"Why do you want to join showbiz?" Shamsher asked Nandini after pondering on her words.

"..it's simple. I've been in the limelight with Manik for sometime & I realised I liked it. My old life seems uninteresting & mundane after I left the limelight. I figured, I can never go back in time & be content in the life I was living, so the only way remains for me is to move forward. I want the attention, the glamour, the fame & the name. I want it all, for myself! And for that if I have to call it truce with Manik Malhotra, it's a small price to pay." she responded.

"Bloody gold digger" muttered Shrikant Malhotra.

"Better the industry's gold than your, right?" Nandini smirked.

"..darling, you talk a good game, but you are nascent. A deal is a two way street. This is all you gaining, what do we gain from it? I mean there are other ways to stop you from maligning Manik's image in public, you know? For example, we can declare you mentally unstable & provide enough proof too" smirked Shamsher Malhotra, and Shrikant nodded vehemently in agreement.

Nandini smiled. "Agreed you can, but will that be a wholesome way? A way, no one will ever question & doubt? Remember the squeaky clean Malhotra image? Is this route good enough for that? My proposal is that I be the positive voice hailing Manik Malhotra instead. There would be authenticity that no one can deny! The woman who cheated him & caused so much scandal, if she can speak positively about Manik, who will question that? Manik will not just be a hero on the silver screen, like I said to the press yesterday, he will be a real life hero in the eyes of his fans. Isn't that a good deal, now?" asked Nandini and both men were silent.

"...and you will stay the fuck away from Manik. Do not ever emotionally engage with him again. This movie you've signed should be your first & last movie together. Although whenever someone asks about him, you will speak positively." commanded Shamsher Malhotra.

Nandini smiled. "Done".

"How do we trust her, father? What if she breaks her words?" Shrikant asked, incredulously. Shamsher Malhotra smiled.

"To ensure that, we need more than just words from you, Nandini." Shamsher Malhotra spoke, with a twisted smile. Nandini knew this was coming, so she agreed immediately. "Anything".

"Okay then, let's tape a small screen test of yours" said Shamsher Malhotra, silkily. As the enormity of the words hit her, Nandini's confidence flew and Shrikant Malhotra sneered. "I love tapes!"

"Wh..what do you mean?" Nandini stuttered for the first time.

"Aah don't worry girl, not sex tapes of course. What are we, villains of the 90s?" chuckled Shamsher Malhotra. Nandini relaxed a little. "Then what?"

"Something much worse. A thirty second reel testing your acting skills. That's all." Shrikant Malhotra smirked. Nandini gulped.

"I am not doing anything remotely shady." Nandini fought back.

"Come on, you're an ex Mrs. Malhotra, we're obligated you see, we can't make you do anything too scandalous & float it in the market, if you fail us; but we can make you pay nonetheless with a little bit of harmless situational acting! Also consider this our screen test for my approval nod, to letting you in showbiz." answered Shamsher Malhotra with a malicious smile.

Nandini gulped. She knew the stakes were high, but she had estimated this before choosing her mission right? "Okay" she muttered.

"Perfect" sang, Shrikant Malhotra.

"Okay then, Nandini, I hope you are prepared for officially commencing the shoot for your first movie tomorrow?" Zubin's voice caught her attention and she smiled & nodded.

"All the best!" he wished her and got up to leave, as Nandini muttered a quick thanks.

"Manik Malhotra, in many ways, tomorrow is the beginning of your downfall." thought Nandini, as she walked back to her room.

***

Word Count: 5,202

A/N : So, how'd this chapter go, folks? Did you enjoy? Now, a lot of things are out in the open, are we ready for a battle? ;)

Readers, I never make bug requests, but here's what truly motivates me to write: your votes, in-line comments & your larger thoughts on my chapter.

Now that you know I've run out of chapter banks, trust me when I say I find it excruciatingly difficult to post a chapter every Sunday & ensure the story value doesn't get diluted due to haste. What motivates me to squeeze in some time every week? Your responses, so I request you to please be generous with the votes & comments & shoutouts! :)

Can I expect 300+ votes this time?

Now coming to my set of questions, I really hope you answer them for me, I wait all through Sunday to read them!

1. What were your thoughts on Cabir & Manik in this chapter? Cabir accused Manik for changing the rules for Nandini, do you agree?

2. Do you blame Manik for looking out for Nandini over his grandmother & Abhimanyu's justice? What do you think is more important, justice for the dead or protecting the life of the alive & innocent?

3. Do you think Manik is really trying hard to keep Nandini away from him? Or is he doing these petty things just to appease his heart, telling it that he's trying, but he doesn't really want to stay away from her?

4. What are your thoughts on Ranbir? Do you trust him? Both Manik & Nandini has an ulterior motive for his appointment & Ranbir gets to be key decision maker here to tip the scale here. Who's side do you think he will chose?

5. So Nandini had gone ahead & formed a treaty with the senior Malhotra's. Did you see that coming? How did you see her grow string over time? From the docile woman who could hardly say a word to the senior Malhotra's to using their ways to deal with them? Does that make you happy, proud or worried?

6. So, any thought on the tape the Malhotra's made with Nandini? Do you think Nandini made a blunder here? However with the choices she had, could she have done something else? What do you think can be the content of the tape?

7. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about this chapter? Any like, dislikes?

I hope if you're reading this, you've already voted for me, left in-line comments & answered my questions too! If you have, thank you, if you haven't, please do? :)

I shall see you all again, next Sunday (4th June) with my next chapter!

Stay happy, safe & blessed,
Until then,
Your writer,
A

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

94.8K 9.3K 57
#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during her undergrad days in New York, it was th...
430K 44.4K 53
When Nandini met Manik for the first time, she never wanted him to be 'the one'; or actually, that thought didn't even cross her mind. And for Manik...
850K 63.1K 38
"He is a mystery. A mystery every guy wants to become And a mystery every girl wants to claim" _ How Bumping into Mr. Billionaire, changed her life...
1.1M 109K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...