Seat Number Zero

由 KunaTheTrash

Shokugeki no soma Fanfic Finally my suspension is over. I wonder how my brother is doing, he just transferred... 更多

Disclaimer
Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 15.5
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 29.5
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 35
Extra Part 1

Part 34

698 19 0
由 KunaTheTrash

"Holy-!" she cursed in shock, nearly jumping out of her skin. "Why do you still have that?" Yuki points at the glass display case, proudly displaying her spoils. Ones that are designed for those with a more unique taste.

Yumi looked over to what her friend was pointing at and responded with a lopsided smile. "Some people have twenty-dollar cosplay swords or historical weaponry. But I have these." After BLUE, her three-year-long mission was finally completed and Yumi officially retired from her noir persona. Returning every single spoil she's ever collected. It took some time but she managed to retrace nearly every owner of her spoils, even if it means visiting their graves. Some however refused to take them back so those trophies found a permanent home, in her possession... again.

She stared longingly at the pink guillotine when a memory flash before her eyes. They take her all the way back to the BLUE competition, back to the quarterfinals, moments before she steps into the ring. She remembers the loud cheers from the audience and as she swept her eyes through the crowd, she felt a certain pull in her heart.

Yumi always knows when a specific pair of eyes are on her. Those beautiful cyan-blue eyes meet her golden hues, and a thin veil of emotion danced over her eyes.

She hurriedly averted her gaze, suddenly very interested in the pink guillotine she is still carrying around. "Are everyone and their mother here?" she silently scoffs, her hand absentmindedly twisting the handles. The corner of her lips curls up into a soft smile.

"Why are you smiling at the guillotine like that?" Asahi frowns at her. "It's giving me the creeps."

Yumi looked up as her hand reached for the side of her face. "What the hell are you talking about?" She blinked a couple of times before realizing that she was in fact very pleased to see her boyfriend. She glares, quickly taking her hand away from her face. "Do you really have the time to focus on me?" annoyed that her emotions are on full display she covers her face back up with her mask. She scoffs at his smug demeanor once more before heading into the stadium.

Yumi blinked herself out of the memory and continued packing her clothes into the large suitcase.

Now that she's done chasing after illegal trades, and shady food businesses and with the final examinations over bringing forth the end to the semester, Yumi has little reason to stick around Totsuki. Being the only one in the dorm that does not bear the responsibility of the Elite Ten, joined any ceremonies, or even any clubs, Yumi stayed behind at the dorm to pack her stuff. Yes, she was once part of the Spice RS that is now taken over by Professor June, but she long since quit that club. Yuki returned early as she had promised to give her a hand.

Yuki shook her head and ran forward, crushing Yumi into her embrace. "I can't believe you're leaving Polar Star." Yuki cried, tears streaming down her face. Yumi laughs lightheartedly as she taps the other girl's shoulder, comforting her while also letting Yuki know that she is currently not breathing.

"There's nothing left for me to do in Totsuki." Yumi shook her head.

"You can still graduate with us." Yuki protests.

"With my attendance?" Yumi shook her head. "In my dreams, perhaps."

"Didn't Nakiri say she will pardon all the missing marks or something?"

"That's true." Yumi nodded thoughtfully. "I could've had my absences excused and have all the pending assignments magically disappeared. But no, I think it's time for me to do something else."

"The Yukihira diner?"

"I've considered taking over the family business," Yumi replied with a pout. "But Soma called dibs first."

Their father had already agreed to hand over the family business to either of his children, Yumi would love to take that mantle for herself but that diner has too many memories. If she wants to start anew she must put the past behind her.

Soma on the other hand is too busy sulking about his second placement just behind Nakiri Erina to notice. Yumi watches with mild sympathy, every time she catches her brother staring into space.

"Soma made his decision already." Yumi stuffed the last of the clothes into the suitcase and shut it tightly. The note her brother left behind two months ago in her skirt pocket suddenly became heavy.

"That doesn't mean you have to make such one as well." Yuki tries to reason with her friend but Yumi shakes her head once more.

"No, this is what I want."

Yuki lowered her gaze, and her eyes landed on the pile of towels neatly folded on her lap, ready to be packed into the suitcase. Although upset, she respects Yumi's decision.

"But that damn brother of yours, I can't believe him." Yuki chuckles trying to switch up the mood. "How can he just leave without saying anything?"

Yumi flinched at her words and laughed guiltily. "At least he left a note."

*********

"Congratulations!"

The whole dorm along with a couple of honorary members joined in and exploded in cheers and applause, the dining table riddled with food, streamers left from party poppers littered the floor and a giant banner hung above with large letterings. 'Congratulations on Second Place in BLUE, Soma.'

Yumi was smiling and clapping like the rest of her dorm mates when she noticed the banner wasn't asymmetrical on purpose. The banner was plain as if bought last second in some random craft store, all the corners were decorated with crude drawings of flowers, except for the bottom right corner of the banner where there was a strange smudge of paint.

'Congratulations on Top Five Yumi.'

Yumi raised an eyebrow, turning to the person next to her, locked onto those beautiful cyan blue eyes as they met her golden hues. "Was that really necessary?"

He shrugs amusingly, "I didn't make the banner."

Yumi then turned towards the second culprit. Yuki immediately averted her eyes, suddenly very interested in the conversations on the other side of the table over what is the best way to season lamb.

"I don't know why you guys bother," Yumi sighs again. "I mean I threw the competition so I shouldn't even have a placement."

"Yes, but making it to the semi-finals is still something." Alice chimes into the conversation. "I'm still waiting for the day Erina gets knocked down from her pedestal" She raises her fist and boldly declares pointing her finger at her cousin. "I don't care who but it must be someone from our generation or me, otherwise it doesn't count."

"I look forward to it," Erina replies, happily accepting the challenge.

"Wait a second," Yuki asks, tilting her head. "Have Yumi and Nakiri ever competed in a shokugeki before?"

"Now that you mention it..." Erina said thoughtfully.

"I would like to take this time, as this year's BLUE Top Five chef, to officially announce my retirement." Yumi quickly raised her hands and loudly announced to her peers.

"Oh come on, don't be like that." Yuki pouts.

"I don't mind engaging in a friendly match," Erina said.

Yumi sighs, she doesn't blame her friends. Erina is the headmistress and easily the best of their generation, while Yumi although not a member of the Elite Ten is definitely the most impressive wild card Totsuki has ever seen.

Yumi stood up and headed to the kitchen. Coming back with a container in hand. "I don't know who's the one hoarding all the plates..." she took a second to glare at the dining table that'll probably spawn leftovers that are gonna feed them for the next three days... or rot in the fridge. She does not envy the person who is on dishwashing duty. "Anyway this was what I would've made in the semi-finals if I had chosen to humiliate myself." She pulled out a toothpick and handed it over to Erina.

Yumi wore a polite smile as she handed the glass container over.

"The presentation is a bit..." Erina grimaced a bit.

"Oh shut it," Yumi rolled her eyes playfully. She watched anxiously as did everyone else as Erina pushed the bite-sized meal into her mouth.

"It's-"

"Erina," Yumi shook her head as she cut off the stream of criticism that was about to flow out of her headmistress's mouth. "You can send me a well-written 10-page essay in Times New Roman later." Yumi waved dismissively much to the dismay of their Headmistress.

"Then.." Erina asked, her face riddled with confusion. If Yumi didn't ask her to give criticism, why did she ask her to taste it?

Yumi picks up another toothpick and impales the dessert, handing it over to Satoshi who sat by her side. He shoves it into his mouth without a second thought. She then passed the glass container along with the pack of toothpicks around the dining table for everyone to try.

"What did your God Tongue see in my dish?" Yumi asked.

"There wasn't any." Erina blinked, confused by the request. Her eyes slowly widened as the realization dawned on her. "But that's-"

"Impossible? Preposterous." Yumi laughed. "Let me guess, the criticism just came to you. No visuals, no presence, no soul. Plain." She then turns to Satoshi and asks. "How's this one?"

"Wouldn't the headmistress be a better critique?" He asks with a frown.

"I did ask her." Yumi blinked. She asked for the ten-page essay just moments ago. Satoshi shook his head with a sigh.

"I'm surprised," Erina spoke calmly. "Normally I'd be able to conjure up an image in my head. Like an accordion falling on my head whilst in the middle of meditating under a waterfall."

"That's oddly specific." Yumi frowns.

"Your guess is right. I feel nothing with your dish." Erina pursed her lips as she placed her toothpick beside her other utensils. The others at the table grew silent.

Yumi laughed awkwardly. "I've never once initiated a challenge before."

"Well." Satoshi began to correct her as he recalled the time when her 100 Shokugeki became 150, the event that made her infamous.

"Not a word." Yumi glares at him, and he raises his hand in surrender. She then turns her attention back to Erina. "Do you still wish to do battle with me?"

Erina shook her head. "Why did you attend Totsuki? Why are you pursuing culinary?"

"Why the sudden questions Nakiri?"

"Her father did attend this academy. It's not weird for her to be here." Takumi states.

"Well I realized that fact after rummaging through old newspapers at the library while attending Totsuki," Yumi said with an awkward laugh.

"I think Nakiri is talking about..."

"Soma" Yumi frowns. Soma immediately went silent, understanding his sister's feelings.

"Well if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine," Erina said.

"I'll tell the story, one day." Yumi smiles.

**********

That day happened to be the day she came back from a short trip to America. Just a casual errand run to the other side of the world, no big deal.

"Yumi?!" Erina exclaims at her presence in the Nakiri household. "What are you doing here?"

"Yo! Got an invite so I decided to come." Yumi greets casually with a light wave of his hand. "It's been a while, I'm your devoted sous chef today."

"I invited her to prepare a few dishes," the former Director of Totsuki explains. "We can have Mana tasting any dishes that are not up to par."

Yumi gave the Bookmaster a once over, and politely nodded.

"Once again I find myself looking forward to your cooking, Erina," Mana said warmly, creating a nice bubbly atmosphere that is immediately destroyed by her next words. "But don't worry. I have already prepared a bucket for when it fails to reach my standard."

"Thank you for that. I'll make sure to take you down a peg." Erina retorts, mirroring her mother's smirk.

*****

"Phew," Yumi breathed a breath of fresh air, as she stretched her hand in front of her. "That was nerve-wracking, I'm glad the Bookmaster didn't throw it up otherwise I would've." Yumi laughed. "Where is she by the way?"

"She is resting," Erina replies sitting down beside her on the backyard porch. "Grandfather has taken his leave as well." Hisako joined them as well, bringing with her three cups of herbal tea for each of them.

"I see, they both seem very healthy." Yumi nodded as she thanked Hisako for the tea, taking a satisfying sip, and letting the heat spread through her. "Come sit, we haven't chatted since I left." Yumi set the cup down and gazed at the view of the backyard, watching the leaves sway along the breeze. Although she suggested the chat first, Yumi had no intention of actually starting the conversation.

"So... how has it been?" Erina decided to speak after a long while. "You still haven't heard from your brother?"

"You know how we are." Yumi chuckles. "Unless fate divides it, it'll be a long time before we'll hear anything from my brother." She pursed her lips. "Although it'd be nice if he can make the time to stop by my restaurant, there's always a seat reserved just for him."

"You opened up a restaurant?" Hisako asks in shock.

"Yeah, is it that surprising?" Yumi chuckles.

"I still can't believe you and Isshiki are running a restaurant together."

"Well not officially." Yumi shrugs. "The Isshiki Family has a long history and is very strict when it comes to traditions. He's working very hard to gain independence. It doesn't help that he's dating a Totsuki dropout."

"Do you want to resume your studies at the academy?" Erina asks.

Yumi shook her head. "Nah, I'm good. I have some credibility to my name," she silently lists some in her head. "I never planned on graduating from Totsuki in the first place, so I won't change my decision. Besides, it must've been a lot of work keeping Soma in the school registry as it is."

"Don't remind me," Erina grumbles. Yumi and Hisako laughed in response. "I would also like to know about his whereabouts." Erina angrily grumbles. "He's neglecting his duties as the First Seat of the Elite Ten. Not to mention the Third year Placement Test."

Yumi laughs, clapping her hands. "If it wasn't for you giving him that special temporary leave, he would've been immediately expelled." She raised her arms into a full stretch. "It's been so long since I went all out preparing a dish," Yumi said. "I must say, I don't miss it at all. The stress of coming up with the restaurant menu is enough to make me go ballistic," Yumi laughs. "Honestly, what was I made of while attending Totsuki? I sure got balls of steel."

"I still don't understand how you're able to make such complicated dishes without the ability to taste."

Yumi drew her gaze to her side, and she offered a light smile. "I did promise I'd tell the story."

She stared back at the starry night, her eyes softened as the memories embraced her, "Alright." Yumi made up her mind. "I'll take this opportunity and start at the very beginning."

***********

You see, the Yukihira diner actually belonged to my mother's side of the family. Long before Soma and I were born, on a whim my father returned to Japan and stumbled upon this humble restaurant. There, a once-promising chef now lost in the storm, came across the craziest and carefree person to ever set foot in the kitchen. I don't really know the specifics but apparently, father felt drawn to mother. The way she smiles every time she cooks, the way she interacts with the regulars, and the atmosphere.

It wasn't long before their love blossomed.

"Soma!" A loud voice echoed through the halls followed by the thumps of small feet against the wooden floorboards. "That belongs to me!"

"I found it first, so it's mine!" Chubby hands grabbed at the toy knife and a carrot in the other hand. Yumi chased after him with a potato in her arms. "I'm making lunch today."

"You made lunch yesterday. Today is my turn." He protests.

"What is all this noise?" A woman with bleached blonde hair walked out into the hallway and asked, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

The twins exchanged glances and shook their heads, poorly hiding the items behind their backs.

"What noise?" Yumi asks, tilting her head innocently.

Soma gave her a large grin. "We were just playing, mom." The two scrambled past her and into the kitchen, making hushed quips and elbow jabs at each other along the way.

"What are those kids up to?" Their mother sighed musingly.

That was probably the worst meal we've ever made her. Just one bite of that curry was enough to make me tear up and cry my eyes out, I don't remember this but Soma told me I couldn't stop apologizing and clinging to mother to have her throw up the connection.

Both to fulfill my pride and my promise, I had Father teach me to cook. I swore to never make something so horrendous ever again.

For the next couple of years, Soma and I stayed at the diner. Those were the best years of my childhood. The heat of the kitchen and the rowdiness of the customers. Not only that but also...

"I choose this one." Mother wore a big smile as she pointed to one of the three dishes on the table.

"Damn it," Soma exclaims, throwing his hands into his hair threatening to rip them out.

"Again!? That's fifty consecutive losses!" Yumi exclaims in disbelief. "You're not playing favorites by choosing Father's dish, are you?"

Mother laughed, pulling the spoon out of her mouth. "Here you try some." she scooped a large and stuffed it into Yumi's mouth, then another into Soma's.

Yumi scrunched her face as she chewed, she huffed and turned on her heels, and sat down. "Fine, I'll admit defeat today." She whips out a notebook and with a pen, angrily scratched at the pages.

"You're a hundred years too early to defeat me." Father crackled victoriously over his two children.

His victorious smirk always makes me want to punch father in the face, but I reframe. Throwing hands won't solve anything and will make the mother understandably upset. It's just the second worst thing I dislike about my father. The first thing?

"But my grilled sardines simmered in mint sauce is still the worst dish," Soma said smugly. To the side, Yumi visibly gagged at the very description.

"Yeah that was disgusting." their father nods in response. "But my dried sardines with strawberry jam are worse."

They argued back and forth, yelling the name of their concoction from hell, loud enough for the whole diner to lose their appetite.

I remember my mother giving me a pity smile knowing how much I hate this side of them. How I was ever born into this family is beyond me.

What was my favorite memory?

I have many, I think it was the days before Soma and I learned how to cook. Back then mother and father would stand in the kitchen of our diner... and the two of us would stand there for hours, watching, and learning.

"Tamako!" one of the regulars would occasionally call out to mother and order. "Could you whip up a chef's special?"

"Will it be tasty, or will it suck?" The customers shout. "Place your bets guys!"

"One chef's special eh?" Mother was always obliged, wearing a wide grin as she accepted the challenge. The twins watch their mother reach for her favorite wok and throw the ingredients in.

"I choose failure." Yumi crosses her arms, with a lopsided smile. "I'd bet my next dessert." She glanced at her brother. "What about you?"

"I think mom will succeed this time," Soma said thoughtfully rubbing his chin.

In no time the bell rang signifying the completion of her creation. "Enjoy! One chef's special."

"Disgusting," the customers roared, they clapped and jeered with joy. "Failure. You owe us three beers!"

Honestly, it didn't really matter if it was failure or success, as long as mother was having fun.

Well... there was that, just one time. It was a complete fluke but mother once got stumped on whether to choose my dish or father's. Yes, it was a tie and yes, it didn't mean I actually defeated my father, but it was the greatest achievement of my life. The pride that swelled in my heart and the satisfaction I felt as I gazed into our regular faces that day, it was beyond everything I'd ever expected. I'll never forget any of their faces, especially my mother's face that day.

Unfortunately, I'll probably never be able to see it again.

About two months after our twelfth birthday, it started with a small accident. My mother was just preparing to open up the diner in time for the morning rush just like any other day when without warning she collapsed. We only learned the details later but Mother suffered from complications in her heart and soon passed away.

I barely remembered the funeral, it was a blur really. I wore a simple black attire and knelt in front of her photo. I don't even remember eating during the mourning period. After the funeral, I stayed locked up in my room.

Only when I heard the familiar clanging of a wok did I roll out of bed and stagger into the kitchen. There I saw Father and Soma, their faces as pale as paper with dark circles under their eyes. Soma kept his eyes on the flames, not even turning to give her a glance. Standing on a small stepping stool and in an apron, he continues to use his spatula to poke at the rice.

"Morning kid." I slowly turned my gaze toward my father. I lowered my head for a small nod and climbed onto the many chair stools by the counter.

"We're about to finish. Let's see who wins this time." He explains with a small smile.

If this was any other time, I wouldn't have hesitated as I did just then. I would've immediately accepted with a... "Alright." I managed to muster, my voice cracked abnormally, clear that I haven't uttered a single word since the funeral.

The time flew by and soon the two plates were pushed toward her. "Dig in."

I stared at the plates in front of me, I lifted up a spoon and randomly chose one. "What?" I went to the other plate and tasted it. "That's not possible."

The horror must've been written all over my face, as they frantically asked me what was wrong. "Are you okay?"

"No, it isn't right!" I hopped off the chair stool and ran straight into the kitchen, slamming the door wide and opening a cabinet. My hand went through the label of each condiment until it reached the light soy sauce.

"What are you doing?" I ignored him as I popped the cap off and poured some onto my hand for a taste test. "I can't..." I look up to face them. "I can't taste anything."

**********

"So yeah it was a psychological response to trauma or something." Yumi shrugged lightheartedly.

"That's-" Erina frowned, her face still riddled with confusion. "...sad," she said after settling on that specific.

"You don't have to sugarcoat it." Yumi laughed lightheartedly. "My situation was terrible."

"But then..." Hisako murmurs wanting to ask something but unsure how.

"Go on, ask." Yumi shrugs. "I don't mind."

"Well sometimes, I hear you talk about dishes in incredible detail. And you would express your joy in eating them." Hisako said cautiously.

"Well, to make up for my lack of taste I do extensive research at the library. Research that professors can't help me with, that's why you don't see me participating in class often." Yumi takes out a mini blue pocketbook from her pocket. The pages are barely being held together by the spine of the book looking as if it's about to fall apart in her hand. "This is all I need. Even though I know the taste of savory, spicy, sweet, sour, and bitterness, I can never be too careful.

"As for the second part of your inquiry." Yumi pursed her lips together. "It's not entirely true to say that I can never taste the food I eat."

Most of the time the food I eat tastes like water, sand clumps of wet or dry stuff that smells really good. But there's one person who's an exception.

Your boyfriend.

Fiance actually. I proposed as soon as he graduated.

Congratulations. They both squealed.

Is that even legal? I mean you're technically still supposed to still be in school.

Don't rain on me. Yumi rolled her eyes playfully. It's not like we're rushing to get it, official. She stared down at the ring hanging from her neck as she fidgeted between her fingers. I'm just letting him and the people around us know that I'm always serious about our relationship. that I love him and will one day marry.

That's so sweet

And possessive

Damn

Oh but don't get me wrong he's not exactly sure of the cure or whatever. I still can't taste for shit. And sometimes my taste buds go null and dull even when I do eat the dishes he makes for me. Yumi said. Getting depressed at the thought. Anyway, I don't know about you but I've had my fill of the night sky tonight. Show me the guest room again, won't you?

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

246K 11.6K 66
Mother is dead. Father is dead. Rin, Obito. Almost eveyone I love and get close to are dead or I bet will die soon enough, leaving me all alone. *S M...
25.7K 651 18
COMPLETED "Time is a never ending cycle never changing as what ever you do has already happened in the past, you can't change it. If you do, you just...
Fake Love 由 :)

同人小說

130K 3K 45
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
507K 14.7K 109
Kuroko Tetsuya, the phantom six man, has a sister that none of his friends has ever known. How are they going to react once they found out?