Quilts, Tacos & Tattoos

Από DianeBleck

The sweetest love story set in the Heart of Texas! Cricket, a senior in high school, Candy, her mother, and B... Περισσότερα

Candy & Her Baby
Marmie & Me
And So It Is
The Red Boots
Stitch N' Greet
Red, White & Hot
Hope in a Phone Call
Dip N' Dance
Coffee Anyone?
Bring on the Fireworks
Summer Break
Can't Walk, Can't Run
Time Off
The Dead Fly Club
Alone and Broke
The Bluebonnet Cafe
What a Man!
The Drive-In
Quilt Addiction
Secret Mission
Girl Time with Aunt Julia
Pa Walker on Watch
A Window in Time
Swimming into Senior Year
Disengage Autopilot
Shaking Up
Early to Rise
Nothing Unusual
Finding Home
Trying on Trouble
Trick or Treat
Gobble, Gobble
Cowbell Jingle
Merry Mary
The Berry Happy Birthday
The Big Build Up
The Quilt Show
The Chicks
The Call
The Answer
The Quiet Truth
Tacos, Tacos, No Burritos
A Fresh Start
The First Letter

Night of Firsts

2.7K 154 14
Από DianeBleck

I could not wait for my shift to be over. I was leaving at 3:00 and it was 2:55 P.M. I ran around the store running the vacuum and taking out the trash. I hurried past Mom and kissed her on the cheek. "See you later tonight."

"Have a good time," she yelled after me as I ran out the door.

I raced home to shower and get ready for the date. I was just putting on the finishing touches when I heard a car on the bumpy road. I had raced to the window with every car I heard, hoping it was him, and each time I had been disappointed. That time, the truck pulled up to my house, and I knew it was him. I went to my bedroom and gathered up my lipstick and wallet and put them in my purse.

I heard the knock on the door and opened it. The sun was in just the right spot so that all I saw was the sunlight around his head. I covered my eyes and squinted, "Come on in."

He put his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him and kissed me, first softly and then harder. I was lightheaded and had to hold on to his shoulders to steady myself.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes," I said quietly.

He stepped back and said, "You look amazing."

"Thank you. This was my grandmother's dress."

"You truly look wonderful," he said as he put out his arm.

"Thanks."

I tucked my arm into his, and he guided me to his truck and opened my door.

"All right, I would like to start the night off by letting you know that I have talked to your mother about all the plans for our date, and she approves."

"What? When did you talk to her?"

He put his finger on my lips.

"Uh uh, just know that we are doing something really fun, and you do not have to worry. She said you might worry."

"Worry? Me?"

"Yes. Your mom told me that you might be worried and that it is very important to you to do the . . ."

I interrupted, "Since Mom knows where we are going, can you tell me?"

"I will tell you everything in due time. So for now, all you need to know is that we are driving."

"Driving. Is that all I get?"

"Driving to Austin."

My heart jumped a beat. All the way to Austin. That is at least an hour away and it would take a long time to get there and back and . . .

"I see your wheels turning. Again, please no worries. Just enjoy."

The drive to Austin was fun. We talked about all sorts of things, from boring school to exciting things we both hoped to do when we graduated. He was a nice guy, and I was having a good time. I had barely been on a date before, much less to Austin. It seemed so grown up to go all the way to Austin.

We pulled up to Sabrinos Mexican restaurant. We sat outside, and he pulled out my chair. I sat down trying to remember every manner I had ever been taught. Everything suddenly seemed exaggerated. I was aware of every part of my body, including my hair.

What happened from the car ride when everything between us seemed so easy? Why was it so awkward now?

Our waiter came to the table. "What can I get you tonight?"

I just blinked and looked at him out of the side of my eyes. "So what do you like to eat here, Mr. I thought of everything?"

"The beef fajitas are great, but if you prefer something else, I will go with the flow."

"Beef fajitas it is."

Tyler ordered, "Fajitas for two." It sounded so different when he said it than when Mom said it at Local Taco. Coming from him, it was romantic.

I excused myself from the table and went to freshen up in the bathroom. I felt a little lightheaded and had a small stomachache. Maybe it was the drive through hill country, my nerves, or both. When I went back to the table, the waiter was walking away nodding.

I asked curiously, "Now what?"

"Not telling."

When we finished dinner, he pulled out my chair and whispered in my ear, "We are going to eat our dessert somewhere else."

We went down stone steps to a cobble stone pathway that led to a small amphitheater. We walked up to the third row and sat at the end. A man not dressed in costume entered the stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, Queens and Kings, I would like to welcome you to tonight's performance of Much Ado About Nothing. Tonight, we dedicate our show to a young Miss Cricket and her date, for we understand she has been guilty of making "Much Ado About Nothing." The audience laughed. I laughed and elbowed Tyler.

"Nice...Much Ado About Nothing."

He leaned in and whispered, "Three words, putt-putt, tarantula and Austin." He kissed me on the lips, wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer.

"Technically, that is four words."

We sat cuddled close for the first act of the show. I was in heaven. I was hoping he might hold my hand again and now here he was, wrapped around me. I rested my head on his shoulder and watched the show. I tried to memorize every sensation because I knew I would visit this memory again and again.

I stood up to stretch during intermission. I was raising my hands over my head when he swooped me off my feet, "I ordered some dessert."

I asked with one eyebrow raised, "Does it have chocolate?"

"Yep." He smiled.

When the play was over, we drove to Barton Springs; a little spring damned-up to make an Olympic size swimming area. We sat on the stone edge and put our feet into the water. I was so happy. I put my head on his shoulder again and sighed, "I love this moment."

"Me too," he replied.

We didn't get back to the little red house until late. I could see Mom's light on inside her bedroom window. She was waiting up. He walked me to the door and kissed me goodnight. "Can we 'play' again tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," I said with a big grin.

"Great!"

"Thank you for tonight. It was a wonderful time, and I promise to try a little harder to not make Much Ado About Nothing."

A brash voice interrupted our moment, "Would y'all quit going on and on and finish saying your goodbye already!"

My body went stiff in Tyler's arms as I looked over and saw a silhouette in the rocking chair. I could not make out who it was, nor did I recognize the voice."

"Surprise," said the man's voice, smoothly.

Tyler pulled me in tighter and firmly asked, "Can I help you, Sir?"

"Nope," said the man.

"Are you looking for something?" asked Tyler.

"Yep."

"And what is it?"

"Son, quit your talking. I'd like a minute with my daughter."

I almost fainted. Tyler caught me and squeezed me even tighter. I could not will myself to speak.

Mom turned on the living room light, the front porch light and opened the front door. She had been crying, so I knew the man was telling the truth. She spoke angrily, "What the hell are you still doing here? I told you I would tell her."

"And miss this sweet moment with my daughter all dolled up. What, you been on a date or something?" He looked me over. "Well, I'll be damned! The dress. Watch out boy! You are in for it. This girl has a plan for you. She is going to get you wrapped around her finger and take you and your life with her wherever she goes. Get out while you can."

Tyler looked at Mom, "Would you like me to ask him to leave?"

She glared at the man, "I have already asked, many times, and he is still here on the porch, seeing his daughter for the first time in ten years and trying to ruin her first date."

"First date? Hell! Aren't you seventeen? Why ain't you been dating more? Are you not that pretty? Come here. Let me take a look at you.

Tyler stepped in, "Sir."

"Don't call me 'Sir'. I'm not in the service anymore."

"I invite you to leave, or I can show you out."

"Out? I am out! I am outside on the porch. How are you going to show me out? It's a free world. I can be outside if I damn well want to be outside. There isn't a law against that, is there?"

"No, Sir, but there is a law against trespassing. It seems to me that you are trespassing, and you are upsetting both of these women quite a bit."

The man took one step toward us, and Tyler moved so fast and so suddenly that he immediately had him on the floor with his right arm behind his back. "I am going to ask you nicely to get up and get in your car and leave these two ladies alone for the night."

The man huffed, but agreed. Tyler turned him loose, and he jumped up, dusted his pants off and headed to his car. He turned around to say something, and Tyler stopped him, "You are done speaking for the night, too."

"Just for the night," he huffed. He glared at Tyler as he got in his car and pulled away. He headed up the bumpy road and honked his horn as he drove by Ma and Pa Walker's house. The beginnings of "Dixie," the confederate fight song, blared from the horn.

A cold chill ran down my spine when I heard the horn. The Walker's upstairs lights turned on as he drove by. Pa Walker was out of the house in a minute, walking our way with a flashlight. He hollered in our direction, "You girls all right?"

"Yes sir." Tyler answered. "Just a little misunderstanding."

"Candy, what was he doing here?" Pa Walker asked Mom when he reached the porch. "Are you all right?"

"Yes. I thought he had gone a few hours ago."

"Mom, what is going on? When did he get here? Where has he been? What does he want? You've been crying. Are you hurt?"

"Honey, I can't . . . I . . .I," she stumbled on her words and went inside and slammed the door to her bedroom.

"Come on kids, let's get everyone inside," Pa Walker instructed.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

3.3M 122K 68
🥇 Highest Rankings: #1 Action #1 Chicklit #1 Mystery #1 Teen Fiction #1 Thriller 2018 Watty's Long List 🥀 Trigger Warning/Sexual Assault ⚠️Mature...
244K 12K 44
Not everyone is born strong, Some are soft like the cotton candy clouds, like the first rays before dawn. Some are unaware of the dark thoughts and...
6.5K 19 55
It all started when yn and her family moved to L.A at first it was ok but on her first day of her senior year a group of boys moved into her house...
Comfort Zone Από Belle

Εφηβική Φαντασία

402K 18.6K 22
"I'd always liked my life. It was quiet, under control, and routine. Then he came along and showed me how much more there was, how much more I was." ...