No Going Back (Nyck de Vries...

بواسطة Kelly_Kat-246

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all"-Mulan Jess Bianchi knew her life... المزيد

The moment
Lost in your thoughts (Nyck)
The first race
Proving them wrong
The wrong kind of question and a confession
Making amends...
In Rome
Back home
Our first date
A memory in the form of a nightmare (Part 1)
A memory in the form of a nightmare (Part 2)
Trouble in Paris
The aftermath
Maybe I care too much? (Nyck)
Looking back on my first F2 race
The break is over
Too much faith?
Some more reflection
Catching up at the Monaco Grand Prix
Backwards at the Monaco E-Prix
The role model she needs
A promise
Drama in Mexico (Race 1)
Drama in Mexico (Race 2)
A new friend
Family drama
Somewhere new
Welcome to New York (Race 2) *Nyck's POV*
A conversation remembered
A different kind of interview
Tourists in London
Gaining ground in London (Race 1)
Gaining ground in London (Race 2)
A break from racing
A relaxing day at the beach and a request for help (Nyck)
The finale in Berlin (Race 1)
The finale in Berlin (Race 2)
I couldn't have done it without you

Welcome to New York (Race 1)

61 2 0
بواسطة Kelly_Kat-246

"Crap," I can only get one word out before I am hit by full-blown concern. The sight of the wreckage is beyond terrifying. Words can't even describe how shocked I feel now.

I jolt awake from another nightmare. This time it was the accident that claimed my brother's life, however, I was watching on as one of the martials. As with so many of my nightmares, it felt so real. I find myself glancing at Nyck who is fast asleep as usual. His facial features are relaxed. It is an almost perfect contrast to how I feel. Luckily for me, there is something relaxing about being in his grasp. However, the moment doesn't last long as both our alarms go off.

"Come on sleepyhead," I say as I get to work on nudging Nyck awake. He reluctantly lets go.

"I'm awake," Nyck remarks as he stretches. Now that we are both awake it doesn't take long for us to get ready. For some reason, I am feeling a little apprehensive. I put it down to a combination of two things. One, today is the media day or rather the media morning and second of all, I have had nightmares. They are never a good sign. Oh well, I just need to get through the media morning then I can do what I came to New York to do. Race. It has been a few hours since Nyck and I woke up and I am currently getting ready for the main press conference however my apprehension has only gotten worse. I put it down to the fact that I am being interviewed with Mitch and Edo. My main rivals in the championship. I find myself fidgeting as I wait for our turn in the press conference. This is the first time that I have been truly nervous about a press conference. Come on Jess. The questions are going to be easy to answer. My negative thoughts soon run rampant.

"Jess are you alright?" Mitch decides to check on me. I open my mouth to explain what is going on but the words catch in my throat. Instead, I shake my head. Mitch gets to work on trying to help me however his efforts are in vain as one of the few people that can help me is finishing up with his press conference slot.

"Excuse me," Nyck excuses himself as he glances over in my direction. Thankfully it doesn't take him long to reach me. Mitch is quick to fill him in.

"Thank you for letting me know. Jess look at me. It's going to be alright," Nyck says. He soon launches into a barrage of comforting statements. Thankfully Nyck is quick to get me down to earth. The only issue is how long is it going to last. Thankfully the press conference flies by. Before you can ask I am still on edge but I am definitely feeling better than I was before the press conference. It doesn't take long for me to make it to my driver's room where I am met by Nyck.

"What's wrong?" I tentatively ask.

"I came to check you somewhere private," Nyck says as he opens his arms for a hug.

"I'm all good, I promise. I just had a nightmare. That's all," I reply as I accept his hug. I find myself lost in his warmth. I really want to tell him about my nightmare however I am unable. For some reason my mouth refuses.

"Anyway, we have a free practice session to get ready for," Nyck says. He leaves me with a little peck on the cheek. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without Nyck. With Nyck gone I exchanged my street clothes for my race suit. I'll be fine so long as I don't have a panic attack in the car. After fifteen minutes of warming up with Molly, I find myself in the garage getting a brief from Kai. He seems adamant that I need to take it easy after the disaster that was Mexico. The thing is I need to practice like I am racing as I need the points that will come later.

"Kai you have little faith in Kristy and her team," I cut him off. The thing is Kai worries too much. I understand why as we are at the pointy end of the season.

"No, it's not that. Kristy and her team have done a wonderful job. I just want you to win the championship," He responds. I find myself giggling as he reminds me of Jules. In fact, I reckon that they would be good friends.

"You worry too much Kai," I retorted. He flashes me an understanding smirk. With that out of the way, I turn my attention to the more urgent matter. The first free practice session. There is a part of me that hopes that Kai's worry is unjustified. With a few swift movements, I get my balaclava and helmet on. After a quick word with Kristy, the time has come. I am quick to get comfortable in the car. After a brief pause, Kristy gives me the gesture to go. It doesn't take long for me to get the warmth into the tires.

"Kai I'm going to get the stuff in Charlie Mode Four done as soon as I get the temperature in the tires" I use the radio to inform Kai that I intend to get the full power laps out of the way first.

"Ok. Just be advised that you might have to contend with traffic," Kai responds. With permission from Kai, I make the required adjustments. Thankfully it doesn't take long for me to weave through the traffic. It was not as bad as Kai suggested but he has a habit of exaggerating. Oh well, there is not much that I can do about it. At least the car is working much better than it did in Mexico. Something tells me that the thought might jinx it. After thirty minutes of driving the first free practice has come to an end and I am filled with confidence. Ok sure there are things that can go wrong but after the free practice session, I feel much better. At least this time I am able to focus on what Kai is saying.

"Jess, you were right. I definitely worry too much. Everything was fine," Kai concludes our small debrief.

"I knew I was. I have a lot more faith in Kristy and her team than you do," I respond. After a couple of more hours of work, I am wandering through the paddock with Nyck. We are walking hand in hand which is causing people to stare. Not that it matters to me.

"So are you going to tell me about the nightmare?" Nyck asks, catching me off guard.

"Nyck it's fine," I find myself deflecting for some reason. It's not fine. After all, it gave me a panic attack.

"You'll let me know if it's not, right?" Nyck double checks. Like Kai, he worries too much. However, I understand why Nyck worries.

You'll be the first to know. I promise," I reply. It is the day after and the second free practice also went without a hitch. The thing is qualifying is the hard part. The reason is I am in group one which means I will have a challenge on my hands. Not that it's going to stop me now. I need the points that will come from me qualifying well. Right now I am watching over Kristy and Kai who are currently debating whether or not I should risk a grid drop penalty for some important replacements. I am pulled out of my thoughts by Nyck.

"What are they arguing about?" Nyck asks.

"Well, they are arguing about whether or not I should risk a grid drop penalty. Kristy discovered some issues after FP2," I explain the situation. They are arguing like a married couple.

"Sounds like fun," Nyck responds sarcastically. He is familiar with the situation.

"Yeah, I guess it is," I say with equal amounts of sarcasm.

"Anyway we should let Jess do her thing," Kristy ends the argument. With the argument out of the way, Kristy offers her hand as an offer to help me into the car. Nyck also makes his escape. I am quick to get comfortable. After another brief pause, I am sent out. I am quick to notice that I am the only one out. Because of that, I put the car into Charlie Mode Four. It is a little risky since I haven't done a proper out-lap but I need to get a couple of laps done before traffic hits. Thankfully I am able to get the out-lap done in time. After a couple of minutes, I set a few good lap times at full power. I have decided to do another lap just to be on the safe side. Again it doesn't take me long as the New York track is relatively short. I just hope that it is enough to at least get me into the Superpole shootout. With my laps done I head back to the garage. I will find out later. As soon as I come in Kristy and her team descend on the car while I rescue myself from the car.

"Kristy I think you can do the repairs after the weekend is done," I say as I pull my balaclava off.

"Ok. Just let Kai know if you face any issues," She responds as she buries her head in her work. I don't understand why the team worries when I have everything that I can control under control. I find myself watching the broadcast with Kai. As the qualifying goes on I become more convinced that I will not be making it to the Superpole shootout. After fifteen tense minutes, everyone else has set their fastest laps. To my surprise, I will be starting in seventh. That shouldn't be too much of an issue as I know I can make up places, especially at the start. It has been an hour since the qualifying session and the apprehension has come back in full force. This time it is due to the fact that the five-minute countdown has begun.

"Ok, Jess just remember to be careful around turn one. Make sure you leave enough space," Kai runs through his things that can go wrong checklist via the radio.

"That is unless I am a hundred per cent committed. Don't worry Kai. I'm not dumb," I reassure him.

"I never said you were dumb. I just worry too much," His response gets a giggle from me.

"Anyway good luck," Kai says.

"Thank you," I replied. I am going to need it. After a tense five minutes, a single red light comes on. As soon as it does I stomp on the accelerator to get the temperature into the tires. After a pause, the five lights come on one by one. Ok Jess you've got this. Lights out. I stomp on the accelerator again. This time the car lurches to life. Because of that, I've gotten the jump on the sixth place driver going into turn one. I turn my attention to getting past Robin who is not making it easy. I guess I'll get past him with the help of the attack mode boost.

"Kai I'm going to get Robin with the attack mode boost," I announce via the radio.

"Copy. Do what you need to do," Kai confirms. After five laps the attack mode area has been opened. I am quick to arm the system. It is looking like Robin has the same idea. I follow him into the attack mode area. It is tense but I am able to get past him on the way out. Now I need to catch up to the driver ahead without overconsuming.

"Can you tell me who the driver ahead is?" I ask Kai. The answer will determine how long I stay in fifth.

"Nyck is ahead. There is a chance we may use team orders to give you the chance to get on the podium," Kai outlines the plan. Fair enough. A part of me hopes that it doesn't come to that as I want the chance to fight Nyck properly but at the same time, I need the points. We shall see what happens as the race goes on. After a few more laps I have finally caught up to Nyck. I get to work on getting past him. As I thought he is not making it easy. After fifteen minutes of back and forth, I am still behind Nyck. I am starting to grow a little more concerned as I feel that I have more usable energy than Nyck.

"Jess Albert has told Nyck that you have more usable energy than him but he is not budging. Nyck wants to fight for the position," Kai updates me on the situation. Just as I feared.

"Crap. Kai can you tell Albert so he can tell Nyck that I need the points more than him. I'm fighting for the championship, not him," I say. I just need to remain calm during the last fifteen minutes of the race. After fifteen more minutes of back and forth disaster strikes. Nyck's car grinds to a halt. The only thing that I can do is brace myself as my car hits the back of his at full force. The next thing I know is the fact that I am upside down.

"Jess, can you hear me?" Kai asks frantically.

"Kai, can you tell me what the hell happened?" I ask. My voice is clearly riddled with anger.

"I can only tell you the obvious. I don't know the cause," Kai replies. Thankfully I was rescued from the car quite quickly. After thanking the martials I look over my shoulder to find the wreck of two Mercedes liveried cars. I realise that it is pointless confronting Nyck with my helmet and balaclava on. Instead, I head to the garage. It is there that I am confronted by Nyck.

"What the hell were you thinking? That little stunt has given Edo the required points to overtake me in the championship standings. We're supposed to be teammates," I snapped. Thankfully Nyck looks remorseful.

"It's not all about you Jess," Nyck counters. I just want to physically lash out but Kai is holding me back. literally. I try to yank myself free from Kai's grip but it is like a vice. It doesn't take long for Kai to drag me to the medical centre. Thankfully the only thing wrong with me is the rage that is burning its way through my mind. It was a dangerous stunt that Nyck pulled. It could have had severe consequences. The thing is I am going to have to confront the issue when I am calmed down enough. Right now I just want to punch Nyck in the face but I know from past experiences I know that it is a bad idea. With the medical checks out of the way, I tentatively head back to the garage. I need to let Ian and Kai know that I am fine. It doesn't take long for me to find them.

"Jess are you alright?" Ian gets to work on checking on me.

"No. I'm angry at Nyck and I am trying my best not to lash out physically. Which is proving to be a little difficult," I respond truthfully.

"I'll be honest with you, Nyck has put us in a difficult position. However, I am going to tell you what I told him. You have to resolve this before London," Ian gives me a grave warning. He is right. I can't afford to be angry at Nyck since he is the only person that can help me win the championship. I need to win the championship for Jules. At least we have another two-week break to work things out.  

A/N this book has a new cover. I got bored of the last one after looking through the Canva templates. Please let me know if you like it as well. Plus I am thinking of adding images to this story to make it less boring to look at so I would like suggestions if possible. Because this is an author's note, I will ask that you vote and/or comment if you are enjoying this fanfic.  

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Black And Grey بواسطة KOKS

قصص المراهقين

1.1K 299 40
"I'll make you a promise,mom" I say as tears roll down my cheeks "No,Jessy... You don't make promises when you're angry" she says wiping my tears "I'...
195 28 5
Y/n world is finally going in her favor, getting accepted to a new Ivy League school in Korea, Golden University. But getting accepted is just the b...
4.5K 179 15
Iris May Alexandria Tran was not new to the Formula 1 world. Her best friend was the one and only Daniel Ricciardo. With the recent comeback to Alpha...
1.4K 277 33
Before starting, this is not a POV. Emma left Seoul to escape from a toxic relationship and traveled back to Italy. Finally, after two years, she cou...