ONE ITALIAN LOVE

By JoannaKurczak

Love. Amore. Call it what You will. Whatever its name, once You feel it, You know. There is no denying it, hi... More

- Chapter 1 -
- Chapter 2 -
- Chapter 3 -
- Chapter 4 -
- Chapter 6 -
- Chapter 7 -
- Chapter 8 -
- Chapter 9 -
- Chapter 10 -
- Chapter 11 -
- Chapter 12 -
- Chapter 13 -

- Chapter 5 -

198 32 16
By JoannaKurczak

Bianca thought she was irritated while entering the Gemelli University Hospital. She was mistaken. That feeling left her mind as if it were a distant memory too irrelevant to bother recalling. Why? Because the level of irritation that filled her mind upon leaving the Hospital trumped any trace of prior irritation she may have felt since the moment she met Signore Massimo Toscana.

Not only did she have to endure his unapologetically confident presence, but she also had to admit that... she was somewhat reliant on his assistance. And THAT added another level of annoyance she could not overlook.

She was an independent woman.
She was a successful entrepreneur.
She was a business owner.
She could not recall the last day she had to depend on someone else.

Especially someone whose input she cared little for...

But, such as it was, Bianca was faced with the most uncomfortable truth that there was a possibility she would need to spend her near future with Massimo being a part of it. And she knew exactly who to blame for it.

"You do realize that Elisabella probably wasn't serious about the idea of me going with You to see my grandmother, right?" Bianca broke the silence after a long pause once she and Massimo left the Hospital.

"Veramente," Massimo replied without taking his eyes off the road.

"Then You will agree that it is an absurd idea," she continued, confident that he considered the matter ridiculous. She was mistaken.

"On the contrary, I agree with Your best friend," he said stoically.

"What? But that's crazy!" She shot him a disapproving look.

"Hey, she's Your best friend," he mocked her.

"I did not say she's crazy! I said her idea was!" Bianca retorted with a temper.

"Somehow I gauge that it means one and the same in her case," Massimo smirked.

"You... may have a point," Bianca crossed her arms at her chest. "Still, I did not agree to go along with it."

"Nor did I agree that I am interested in You," he said in short.

"That is of no concern to me,"she chuckled. "What concerns me is that I am not interested in You."

"We finally agree on something," he clicked his tongue.

"Then why would You even consider the notion of me coming along with You to see my grandmother?" Bianca tipped her head at him.

"Because You are not interested in me," he said plainly, again without looking at her.

"Rude!" She hissed out.

"No, Bianca Mia. Convenient," he shot her a direct gaze.

"Do explain," she mocked his response with a grimace on her face.

"I flew to Italy at the request of my client, who also happens to be my grandfather. You may say I came for business purposes, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy time spent here," Massimo explained. "Since Your friend volunteered Your services, I feel obliged to honor her intentions. You not being interested in me simplifies the terms of our agreement. I won't have to worry about You swooning over me."

"Swooning... over You?" Bianca laughed out loud.

"Veramente," he nodded, unbothered by her reaction.

"I was wrong. You're not savage. You're a Neanderthal," she laughed again.

"And You're clumsy. That does not take away from the notion that Your knowledge of Italy could make my trip run much smoother," Massimo moved his shoulders up and down.

"I am not clumsy. You ran into me at the airport," she murmured.

"And You sprained Your ankle falling at my feet," he flashed his pearly whites.

"For the last time, I did not fall at Your feet!" She countered his words, slapping his shoulder.

"Agree to disagree," Massimo retorted and looked down to the spot where she slapped him. "If You do that again I will be inclined to accept the fact that You may actually be interested in me."

"You're too full of Yourself," she narrowed her eyebrows.

"And You're undecided," Massimo said in short as he slowed down the car, eventually parking the car in one of the open spaces along the street.

"Why did You park?" She asked, suddenly alarmed.

"I'm hungry," he advised her nonchalantly and removed the key from the ignition.

"So?" She wondered in a brooding tone.

"So, my plane landed good four hours ago. I am not a fan of Hospital cafeteria food, and I think I am entitled to a well balanced meal for my effort of putting up with You," he grimaced in the most insincere way.

"Aren't You staying at a bed and breakfast in Lido di Cincinnato?" Bianca replied, agitated.

"Yes," he agreed. "Be that as it may, the fact that You owe me is in both of our favor. Plus, I really am hungry."

"And what do I owe You for?" She turned to him and did not bother to hide her temper.

"Let me see... You owe me for dry cleaning, for the change to make the call at the airport, finally for driving You to the Hospital. But who's counting?" Massimo grinned, and exited the car without giving her a chance to respond. As such, Bianca growled at him, grit her teeth, and exited the car, pausing when she read the name of the restaurant where Massimo directed his steps.

"Osteria da Fortunata? How do You know about this place?" She asked once she caught up with him, albeit with crutches she was not fond of.

"Elisabella recommended it," he noted over his shoulder.

"And when did she do that?" Bianca inquired, surprised.

"When You took Your crutches out for a spin around the Hospital hallway," Massimo smirked but she could see no amusement in his eyes.

"You really are savage," she narrowed her eyes.

"To You? Always, Bianca Mia," he responded in a cocky way, but turned his head toward the doorway of the restaurant at the sound of a joyful Italian greeting whose pitch startled him.

"Did Elisabella tell You why she recommended this place?" Bianca asked, and realized at once that her best friend really did have her back, and the man who ruined her perfectly planned day was going to get a taste of his own savage medicine.

"No, why?" Massimo looked back at Bianca, but did not receive a response from her. Instead, he was startled by a set of rather strong arms that wrapped around his waist, squeezing him in an embrace he was most definitely not ready for.

"I cannot believe Elisabella was telling the truth for a change!" A woman of quite feminine and fragile posture exclaimed at the top of her lungs in a chirpy voice that startled Massimo as much as the strength of the arms wrapped around him.

"Hi Aunt Gemma!" Bianca greeted the woman with a loving smile Massimo did not expect. He paused to look at her, but caught his breath as the woman who wrapped her arms around him squeezed him again.

"Good evening, ma'am," he inclined his head, unable to offer any other form of greeting.

"Oh, don't You ma'am me, young man!" The woman scolded him and eased away from the embrace. "Any man who is strong enough to win over Bianca's love is like family to me!"

"Oh, Aunt Gemma, You're too generous," Bianca leaned in to embrace her, smiling wickedly at Massimo out of Gemma's sight.

"Nonsense, my dear! Family is family!" The woman chirped happily and embraced Massimo again. "Please! Welcome to Osteria da Fortunata!"

"Did Elisabella tell You we would be coming?" Bianca beamed with happiness at her, and raised her eyebrows at Massimo to show him he had just been played by the presumably innocent Dottore Marino.

"Of course, she did!" Aunt Gemma snickered. "I raised my daughter right, after all."

"Yes, You did," Bianca chuckled. "I must tell You, Massimo flew all the way from the United States to see me, and he is famished."

"Then my Elisabella did the right thing to point You in my direction!" Aunt Gemma boasted about all the entrees the restaurant had to offer as she walked with them to one of the outdoor tables covered with bright yellow tablecloth. "Take Your time with the menu, but the desert is on me."

"Grazie, Aunt Gemma," Bianca offered her another sincere smile, which did not go unnoticed by Massimo.

"Thank You, ma'am," he smiled politely, albeit cautiously. 

"Call me Aunt Gemma," she hugged him tight again, pinching his arm playfully in the spot Bianca had slapped him before, and disappeared into the restaurant singing a joyful Italian tune of the song that flowed melodiously through the entire place, leaving Bianca and Massimo to themselves, though not for long...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 1.1K 35
***FEATURED NA ROMANCE*** What happens if your fiction comes true? Eva considers herself realistic person rather than romantic. Her best friend insi...
1.7K 130 19
kinza Arsal Shaikh A girl who never believed in love , never believed in relationships and most of all never trusted the words " Pehli aur akhri moha...
1.4K 115 16
It is a sequel to my first story, Behind Of You. "The only way to forget your first love, is to find someone who loves you", I read in one of the boo...
645 40 14
šš‡š˜š’š‚š„ šŒš„š€šƒšŽš–š’ a name unheard of. Except by one, of course. The one who simply got away. Five years ago her best friend moved to a diffe...