A Court of Distrust and Darkn...

بواسطة courtofroses0326

Nyx is starting to grow into himself, not just as heir and Illyrian warrior. He has grown from child to a pro... المزيد

Gathering
Mission
Ally
Family
Distracted
Home
Negotiation
Sea Serpents
Windhaven
Consultation
Information
Gala
Celebration
Intrusion
Meeting of Courts

Arrival

368 16 1
بواسطة courtofroses0326

   Nyx's point of view:

I set the maps down on the main table with a clatter. The small pieces of carved wood were now scattered across the wooden table that I was trying to arrange. I had taken to turning the loft of the second floor into the war room as it was spacious and provided lots of sitting room. The entire loft was decked out in plush couches and chairs covered in blankets. The wooden table in the middle did look a bit misplaced, but it would work.

Currently, I have made the river house our group's home base. While once my parent's house, it works for the needs of our group. Much of our work dealing with the rebels will come from plans made here. While we didn't have much information so far, Karyan would be back soon with more details.

Recently my cousins have made arrangements to reside here in the river house. It made planning more manageable, but it also meant the place was quite chaotic some days. Living in such close quarters made everyone a bit testy. It was new for everyone to live together for once. It's different living together and being raised together.

  I heard a bit of shouting from downstairs, but otherwise, it was quiet in the loft. The sun was shining into the room with a comforting light. I allowed myself to stretch my wings to bask in it while I unfolded and looked over the maps. I pinned the various pieces of parchment in place on the table to accurately represent each court and its cities.

I was lost in work, but it didn't stop me from noticing the movement at the corner of my gaze. Asteria was quiet but not enough to sneak up on me. She approached and picked up one of the wooden pieces that had slid across the table. Asteria's analytical gaze looked it over briefly before placing it back in a pile with the other pieces. I finished setting the final map and let my gaze be matched with hers as she said, "I assumed you would be preparing for our trip to the Summer Court. We are leaving in about an hour."

  I nodded and said, "I thought you had more faith in me, dear sister. Do you really think I'd procrastinated that much?" Asteria didn't even smile, but a single eyebrow raised, effortlessly displaying her disbelief. She did seem to understand my sarcasm and dropped the subject.I glared at her, and she just shrugged, saying, "Don't give me that look. My faith in anyone is rather minuscule." I didn't deny that as I pinned the map's corners into place. Asteria gave an unsure look over the empty maps and said, "I do rather hate an empty map. The idea of an enemy that we have no information on makes my skin itch." I nodded and said, "It doesn't provide much confidence. Though hopefully, Keres will rectify the situation."

  This caught Asteria's attention, and she said rather quietly, "Do you actually think she will join us? We aren't exactly allies with the Summer Court, and her sheer purpose in life is dedicated to its defense." I didn't answer and left the air silent for a moment before I said, "I can't say. Part of me hopes, but I think that's more for my sake than for her." Asteria nodded, and she placed her hands on her hips delicately as she said, "Theirs nothing wrong with wanting your mate by your side. And this will provide a way to get to know her while being efficient in other areas. If I didn't know better, I would think you stole the idea straight from me."

  I chuckled and said, "I'll take that as a compliment. I don't often get credit for my ideas from you." Asteria smiled, but it was a political smile, more patronizing than endearing. I had barely even heard it, but a slight sound behind me caught my attention. Asteria hadn't even a chance to speak before a loud voice questioned, "Well, I rarely hear you two laughing with each other. What's the occasion?"

  I turned to the figure coming into the light from the dim hallway. Karyan's auburn hair shone in the light from the windows as I smiled. Her cheeky grin was enough to cheer up even the saddest soul as I said, "I think you've mistaken laughter for an unamused chuckle." Karyn rolled her eyes before I said, "Despite that, it's good to see you back in one piece. I was worried you'd been held captive somewhere when I didn't see you at breakfast." Karyn bounced over to my side to give me a welcoming hug as she said, "Nah, not a prisoner. I took a stop at a pub, but that was only to wake me up a bit." I shook my head as she gave Asteria a warm hug next. I would have chuckled at the image if only they couldn't hear me. Karyn looks like a spark of glowing ash against Asteria's cold exterior.

  Karyn sat on the table next to the maps after she greeted us. She asked the two of us rather cheerfully, "So what exactly are we huddled so close to the maps talking about?" Before I could speak, Asteria went straight to business and said, "Waiting for your information. We've got the Summer Court to travel to, and we would like a bit of information beforehand." Karyn rolled her eyes and said with a pout, "Such a spoilsport. Always business with you." I barely registered her movements as Karyan tossed me an envelope and Asteria a box.  Karyn may put on a happy face, but she was a force to be reckoned with. I barely registered her movements to toss the packages, and I can say with certainty that I wouldn't like to be the training dummy with Karyn and her knives. She was deadly quick, and you wouldn't know it when looking at her. Her wings, while not large, allowed her silent flight quicker than most Illyrians.

  I went to tear open the letter but had barely gotten the envelope when a cloud of glitter burst forward. I waved my hand quickly to get rid of it, but Karyan was already laughing at the sequins all over my suit. Asteria was opening her box with more care, which I should have done as well. However, it was worth the prank to see Karyan smiling so brightly as she chuckled at us both.  I quickly used my magic to clean up the mess on my grey suit before I said, "Hilarious. Now explain what information you got before we have to leave. I was pressing time as it is trying to set up the loft." Asteria still hadn't opened the box, probably trying to make sure she stayed clean. Karyn was just shaking her head before she said with a bright smile, "Oh, do smile. It was good fun. But anyway, you'll be pleased with what I found."

Karyan's auburn head nodded to the envelope as she said, "There a few rumors that those men had some of the answers I was searching for, but they've seemed to disappear off the edge of the world. I couldn't find them, especially not in the court they were supposed to be in. I did speak to a fellow in the Autumn Court about his supposed relations with the group. He was courteous enough to give me that ring Asteria has. Apparently, it's how they figure out who's a part of their group and who's not."

  I raised an eyebrow at Karyan and asked, "What exactly did you do to this man with the ring?" Karyan's smile didn't fade, but her golden eyes darkened almost to a copper color. I didn't need an answer, but I had assumed that's what the whiskey she smelled like was for. I shook my head to dismiss the thought, but Karyan admitted, "He's currently at the Court of Nightmares. There to take care of his imprisonment till your father knows what to do with him."

  Asteria, who had finally dispensed with whatever trap Karyan had laid in the box, was now gazing at the ring. It was silver, it seemed, which was a bit ironic as tradition says fae are harmed by silver. It looked pretty plain to me, but Asteria said, "It's made to look like a chain. How creative. In their eyes, they see the system of the courts as slavery that chains them down somehow. Fitting."

  Asteria's dark comment didn't faze me as she always had an odd sense of humor before I said, "It will be quite hard to find. Not everyone probably wears it, and who knows if it's even accurate that this is their symbol." Karin shrugged before she said, "I'd need more time to gather more intel, but if this princess agrees on this alliance, I want to be here for her arrival."

  I gave Karyan a look before she shrugged and said, "Oh, don't give me that disapproving look. I think I'll like her. She and I have had a sort of agreement to never mention what the others are doing. I won't be mean to her. I'm just curious to actually speak with her. I've never actually heard her speak, only seen her form every once and a while." The fact that at least one of my cousins was optimistic about her potential alliance cheered me slightly. Karyn did add with a cheeky grin, though, "I will pester her a bit about being your mate. Just cause I can."  I stiffened, and Asteria, who was looking over the ring, froze just enough for me to notice as I said coldly, "Her being my mate will not be mentioned until I say, and that's final." Karyn didn't flinch at my anger but questioned it as she asked, "What's got your wings in a knot?"

I didn't answer as I placed one of my carved pieces on the Autumn Court. My wings pulled in close to my body from annoyance. Asteria filled in Karyan with my command I had told everyone. Those of us who know she's my mate isn't allowed to say a word until she knows. But seeing as Keres knowing the truth isn't coming in the foreseeable future, they are to remain silent on the matter.

  Karyn seemed instead put off by that before I heard Lorcán call from downstairs, "Are you two ready. Uncle Rhys is getting impatient, and Mom is getting annoyed, so she's saying stuff she doesn't really mean again." I understood that, and I gave a wave to Asteria to follow. Karyn rolled her eyes at my pointed look as I passed. She walked down the stairs by my side, though, and she agreed with a quiet voice, "I won't say anything. I promise." I relaxed a bit at that before she said, "Will Lorcán, though? You know how he is with secrets. He's never been very good at keeping his mouth shut."

I nodded as I knew. Lorcán likes to talk, and he talks loud. He basically would sing information like a canary if he could. But I swore Lorcán to the secrecy of the dealings of this court when we became actual members. The large tattoo on his shoulder can attest to how he manages to stay silent. Plus, Rainer always helps to keep him at bay. So I didn't worry about them.As we stepped onto the main floor, I shared my opinion with Karyan saying, "Only a select few know. Of those, the twins will stay silent, I'm sure, you assured me you would keep your mouth shut, and Asteria won't say a word cause it would risk my wrath." Asteria scoffed behind us, but even she didn't deny it. Karyn nodded, but her golden eyes creased at the corners as she realized I missed someone. I nodded knowingly as I said, "The only one I'm worried about is Davina. And I will leave her silence to you."

Karyn blinked in surprise as we walked outside. Lorcán and Rainer were ready to fly over, but I turned to Karyan when she made a noise. Karyn likes a deer caught in a headlight. She was pale for an Illyrian cause of her mom, but this was a bit excessive. Probably from the surprise or just with the thought of dealing with Davina. I tried to ease her worries, saying, "I trust you to make sure she stays quiet. Davina barely listens to me as it is, and she won't trust the Summer Court, which means she won't behave. She will listen to you, though. Nothing scares her most than the banshee of the Night Court."

  Karyn gave me an angry look, but her amusement was evident on her face. She also knew I was right. So Karyn didn't deny it, and her face held a soft smile as she said, "I'll handle it. Go bring back the new allies. We will need all the help we can get with this mess." I nodded and turned to the boys. Lorcán gave me an impatient look as I unfurled my wings from where they were curled in at my back. He didn't even wait for me to speak through and instead got us moving by launching himself in the air like a rocket blasting towards the heavens. I shook my head at his impatience, but I followed him towards the house with Rainer close behind.

My mother was none to please with us being late. She quickly forgot about it as she gathered everyone to prepare to leave. If I could guess, her bad mood was probably because she and my aunt quarreled again, but that wasn't abnormal. However, my father looked impatient, so I tried my best to stay out of their discussions. The traveling party includes my father and mother as the Lord and Lady of the Night Court. My aunt Nesta and Azriel were taking the roles as leaders of the two armies of the Night Court. While Asteria and I were the representatives of the future of the Night Court.

Lorcán and Rainer were not happy to stay back with Cassian. Cassian wasn't pleased he was being told to stay back either. But I understood why. Cassian still is cautioned from visiting the Summer Court, so it was decided that the boys would stay back to keep him company and keep the peace with the Courts. All three of them weren't really known for their diplomacy.My mother gathered everyone to winnow all at once, but I saw my father give her some soothing words before she could. That seemed to calm her but not enough for her smile to be anything more than fake cheer. With that thought, we winnowed.

    I was instantly greeted with the Summer Court's hot and slightly sticky air. It reminded me why Asteria suggested a lighter suit instead of the one I was currently wearing. But I wouldn't admit to any discomfort, so I just fiddled with my cuffs before following my family. My father and mother led the way as we created a line behind them. My aunt stood next to me while Azriel stood next to Asteria. It wasn't long before I saw a familiar figure approaching. We had winnowed onto the castle's bridge, and a familiar figure appeared when we reached the gates.High Lord Tarquin seemed comfortable in the airy teal material he wore. But despite that, none of us displayed any hint of being uncomfortable. Though I figured everyone besides Asteria, who seemed to be wearing something lighter, was now boiling. My father greeted him cheerfully, and my mother welcomed him. Her smile was genuine as she greeted him, and I was reminded of the friendship that had been born over the years.

Tarquin caught my attention, though, as he said, "Is that Nyx? I haven't seen him for a good quarter-century." I nodded and walked forward only enough to be right behind my parents. I gave a short bow before I said, "Lord Tarquin." He smiled and gave me a nod before saying. "I know it's hot, so I lead you inside the palace before you all roast." My father gave a nod of thanks as we continued walking.

I fell back in line with Asteria, and like my uncle Azriel, she seemed to be analyzing every area. I knew he didn't like the openness of the bridge into the castle, but it was an unavoidable nuisance. Nesta seemed to hate the walk for different reasons, but she didn't show it. Her face remained stoic as ever, and her grey eyes were like the stone of the walkway. Unyielding and unmovable. I let myself listen to the conversation before my mother and Tarquin as we approached the castle more.

Apparently, Tarquin was still talking about children as he said to my mother, "They grow so fast. I remember when mine were only toddlers, and it barely seems more than a memory now, seeing as it's been so many years. But looking at how much they've grown always reminds me of when they were little."

My mother nodded, and his voice was kind as she said, "I missed them all being young. But I got lucky. We had my youngest son recently, so he's still young." Tarquin nodded and said, "You've been blessed by the Cauldron with a large family. Can't say I don't envy you. But an heir was all that was needed, and we got more than that. I consider it luckier than most."

It was then that we reached the palace's gates, and we were let in immediately. After a walk past the royal guards, we entered the Summer Palace. Tarquin seemed unbothered by the grand estate, but I marveled at the brightness of the palace. From all the colors and light, It resembled the Day court. Tarquin quickly caught my attention again as his voice echoed in the hall. He was saying as I refocused, "I'll lead the way into the castle's center. You are on the third floor on the left. The doors will open for the Night Court only. Dinner will be at 8, but you're are welcome to look around until then. There will be tea in the library at 3 if you wish to see the other high lords. But until then, do feel free to relax."

My father nodded in thanks and shook hands with Tarquin. I was about to follow my father up before Tarquin called out, "Nyx, may I have a word." I was surprised but kept my face neutral. I held a confident and cocky mask to everyone my age, but too high lords, I never demeaned them by showing anything less than politeness and respect. Tarquin nodded to me as I approached. He spoke quieter as to not welcome any unwanted ears, "I'm glad you've joined us. My son was looking forward to speaking with you. I hope you are willing to give him some of your time after tea. I know the ball being tomorrow, you'll see him already, but I hope you'll speak with him."

For a split second, I wondered what his play was. I assumed introducing two future high lords could potentially cause a friendship. Though knowing Ceram, I doubt that would be the case. Maybe a well-worded threat or two, but we shall see. I did give Tarquin a sharp nod as I said, "I'll have to check with my family to make sure they have no objects, but I think a conversation over drinks would be a welcomed change in my plans."

Tarquin smiled, and the gold of his clothing seemed to be out his cheer as he said, "Wonderful. I do appreciate your willingness. I'm sure Ceram will be pleased as well." I gave a swift nod and said, "If you will excuse me, I should go check on my family before tea." Tarquin made no objects as I walked away then. I would have to see about speaking with Asteria over probable conversations. From what I remembered of my discussion with Samael about Ceram, is that like all members of the aristocracy in the Summer Court, he was a cunning snake and one I would rather not be backed into a corner with.

  I was going to follow my family before my mother's voice caught my attention. She was waiting halfway down the stairs. I offered my arm as she approached, assuming she wanted me for something. She didn't even try to hide her taking me with her as she said, "From what I heard, people have already started to gather for tea. Would you come with me?" I nodded and followed her leading before she asked me mentally, "what did Tarquin have to say?" As we walked, I smiled slightly at her and answered, "He wanted me to meet with Ceram. I assume to try and build a friendship between us."

   My mother didn't deny that as we walked down a long hallway. She knew this castle better than I did, so I allowed her to lead the way. She did ask me, "Did you accept?" I gave a sharp nod, but it didn't take her long to tell that I wasn't thrilled by the idea. I didn't comment, but she asked, "why aren't you excited about this meeting? I would assume someone your age with similar responsibilities would be similar enough for you to get along."

   As we approached the library, I didn't deny that, but all I said mentally was, "I'm just being cautious. You can never be too careful who to trust. Even a high lords son." My mother nodded as she understood that before I opened the door for her. The room we entered was bright, and the sound of light chatter could be heard as it was filled with various people. My mother didn't hesitate to enter.

  I followed her and was surprised to see my father was already there. I assumed he stayed upstairs, but I saw him speaking with Varian and his wife. It was only when I felt a slightly cold presence approaching did I turn. I smiled and gave a polite nod as I said, "Regulus." The blonde prince of the Winter Court gave me a polite smile as he said, "Nyx. A pleasure as always." I nodded. Regulus was an ally of mine and a childhood friend. He's barely a year younger than me, so we played a lot together in our childhood. While we each have our own responsibilities to our courts, Regulus is someone I could trust in the swarm of political figures. I felt his mind reaching out to mine, and I assumed he had information for me, so I perked up a little as I listened.

  He moved his almost white blonde hair from his face as he said to me mentally, "I'm assuming you got a request to meet with Ceram as well." I nodded and gestured to sit at some chairs near the wall. He followed me before I said, "I think something stronger than tea. You?" Regulus nodded before he said to me mentally. "I feel like this is a trap. Even if he's basically harmless. I wonder what this is about." I shrugged as I conjured us up some glasses, and Regulus grimaced at the taste. I chuckled before saying, "Even the most innocent-looking drink can have an unexpected bite."

  Regulus nodded, but he looked at me over his glass in understanding. He sighed before saying out loud, "The Night Court does always seem to have the best rum. Though I prefer the gentle sting of Winter Court vodka." I nodded in understanding, but I was really listening to Regulus's mind as he thought, "Unfortunately, I had the same thought about Ceram. We both know the Summer Court can be slippery at best." I nodded, but Regulus took a sip and continued mentally, "Asher just arrived before you. Callistus and Malachi were first. Though I expect Asher and Malachi are hiding somewhere plotting some ungentlemanly activities. Callistus is probably staying away altogether. He does hate social gatherings."

I nodded in understanding. My cousin Callistus was the heir to the Day Court. He took after his mother in the sense that he was timid and soft-spoken. Though you wouldn't know it by his exterior. Callistus looked like a brute and had a build like a warrior. Despite his warrior build, he valued silence, and I assumed he was off somewhere with just that. The other two were Spring and Autumn court heirs. Both were far too young to be anything more than pawns right now. Bringing up Malachi reminded me of his brother, Branden. The new heir to the Spring Court was fortunately not like his elder brother was, but he was developing a reputation for his viewpoints. But I didn't know much about Malachi. Malachi was barely old enough to be considered an adult Fae, and he wasn't let out of the Spring Court to explore much after his brother's death. Asher, according to Regulus, seemed to have befriended him. The Autumn court heir reminded me a lot of his father, Eris. The boy was a bit more carefree and just as clever as his father, but he was barely 50 years old.

I tried my best to relay my thoughts as I said, "I enjoy Winter Vodka. It's a reliable drink. Though I can never quite enjoy the flavors of Spring wine and the spice of Autumn whiskey." Regulus nodded and gazed at his drink as if analyzing it. His brain had been temporarily shifted to the different types of drinks, and I chuckled. He quickly refocused before I said truthfully, "You seem to be lost in the snowdrifts, as you would say." Regulus snorted at my jest before saying, "yes, yes, I know. I've never been one for conversation, unfortunately. I'm too easily distracted."I chuckled before I caught movement. For a brief moment, I thought it was Lady Viviane, but looking closer, I realized it was actually the Queen of the Summer Court. She walked in with the Queen of the Autumn Court as they spoke softly to each other. For a moment, as she walked in, I realized just how much the Queen and Ceram looked alike. It was only confirmed further as a familiar icy gaze turned towards us. Her face seemed surprised at us watching for a second, but her gaze quickly turned to analytical as she smiled politely. I didn't need a look into her brain to tell that she was plotting something.

To refrain from starring, I quickly looked back at Regulus. Apparently, he seemed to have sensed she was plotting something. Regulus's pale skin looked even paler as he whispered uneasily, "I hate that expression. She and Ceram share it, and they look like they're plotting to feed us to the sharks." I nodded and whispered back, "I wouldn't put it past them. But with her, I feel like she's got other plans for us that we may just regret more." Regulus took a gulp of his drink, probably to regain some composure. It seemed to help as he looked more controlled again after a second. Regulus looked a bit apprehensive as he said, "Cauldron, help us if she's got plans for us. I wonder what she and her son want with us." I shrugged. I guess we would figure it out. One way or another.

    After a bit more conversation, the rest of the royal families seemed to join. I watched my mother and aunt Nesta greet my aunt Elain. She seemed very well suited to the bright, colorful dress she wore as the High Lady of the Day Court, though like her son who stood next to her, they both appeared a bit timid of the people gathering in the room. Ceram was the last to join with his father. Despite their similar style of dress, they really didn't look anything alike. Ceram looked cross as he entered, but a sly smile appeared when he saw Asher approach. Though they didn't hold my attention as Callistus approached.

I stood to greet my cousin. He was taller than me by a few inches, and he stood much broader. While he probably didn't intend to look intimidating, after he shook Regulus's and my hand in greeting, he stood stiffly and with his arms crossed, giving him a fierce appearance. Regulus nodded to the others across the room and said, "I assume you were sent to fetch us."     Callistus nodded before he said, "Unfortunately, I am. I feel that Ceram is planning to try and gain our influence." We both nodded in agreement before Callistus said, "Might as well hear what he has to say." I nodded and followed his form across the room. Ceram's icy gaze met mine as we approached, and he seemed to be sizing me up. He hadn't changed much since we were young. He was still a scrawny boy, but his once excited expression when we were younger was replaced with a fridged gaze and a polite smile plastered to his face. Ceram led us away from the room, and I shared a look with Regulus, wondering what we were in for.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

911K 38.3K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
54.6K 1.5K 38
Throne of Glass meets A Court of Thorns and Roses. Two very different worlds, with two very different types of Fae. Or different enough to warrant c...
57.5K 1.3K 17
Azriel, the spymaster of the Night Court, one of the most powerful Illyrians to walk Prythian. He was damaged, he was broken, and he thought himself...
73.5K 2.4K 22
A millennium ago, the Cauldron chose Canna as its Keeper. At all times, she can feel its presence, hear its whispers. She traverses the faerie realms...