Postgrad Partners

Von ThirteenthLight

As Tori is about to leave LA for a record deal in Miami, she and Jade hastily decide to move in together and... Mehr

Meeting the Parents
Roommates First
Domestic First Day
Neutronium's Newcomer
Why is she here?!
Heart to Heart
Tori and Jade's First Date (Sorta)
Overwhelmed
Out and Proud
Intimate Interlude
The New Talent
Covers and Contemplation
Mysterious New Girl
Jade and the Short Stack
Interlude in Dreams
Tori and Tara
Aftermath of the Not-Date
Mother and Daughter
The Night to Remember
The Morning After
Questionable Questions
West's Side Story
Emotional Support
The First Date (For Real This Time)
Summer Day's Contemplation
Summer Day's End
A New Year's Jori
#MakeupDate #CaTara
4 Years to the Day
The West-Vega Wedding...or is it Vega-West?
Our Future Together

Glad to Have You

77 1 14
Von ThirteenthLight

After the handcuffs were unlocked and tossed back in the room, the only thing stopping Tara from yelling even more and possibly throttling Jade was her empty stomach. Tori led her to the fridge to pick out something to eat while Nora was holding the University of Miami folder over coffee table in front of the couch, still reeling from what she'd just seen.

"How did my child go from loving the Wizard of Oz to tying up girls in her room like Jigsaw?" she muttered to herself.

"First of all, I'm not a child anymore," Jade retorted as she joined Nora on the couch, "And second, I wasn't trying to kill her, just keep her somewhere close; and for your information, Saw's overrated." She stuck out her tongue briefly before looking down at the university folder. "Well, looks like you're getting your wish for me, Mom...kinda."

"I'd be lying if I said I was surprised," Nora said as she leafed through the folder's various pamphlets and promotional materials, "Remember how the mailbox was always stuffed with colleges in California during your senior year? Actually, you probably wouldn't remember, considering the only 'mailbox' you pay attention to is on your phone." She stuck her own tongue at Jade and returned to peering over the folder.

"I mean, I got emails from them too, Mom," Jade scoffed, taking a few glances at the pictures of students gathered in classrooms, the campus grounds, and dormitories, "I even considered UCLA like some of our friends were, but then I started thinking...maybe it's not for me yet."

"Not for you?" Nora looked back up, staring at Jade's solemn expression, "What do you mean?"

"I...I just started reading more about how even college grads don't get a job in their field after graduating; how they're left with a crap-load of debt from four or more years of tuition, books, room and board, and I just didn't want that..."

"No one wants that, dear," Nora frowned, "But the world outside of school is competitive. I know that schools and degrees don't always guarantee a great job waiting for you after graduating, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try! Didn't that woman say you could qualify for a scholarship or advance credits from your classes at Hollywood Arts? That means you could already have a leg up on that track toward your career; maybe even Tori! Have you talked to her about it—or college, I mean?"

Jade shook her head and turned to see Tori trying to cheer up Tara at the dining table with little success, "Tori's got a good job now. She's been pretty much committed to Neutronium ever since she got the record deal offer in the middle of senior year, so maybe she hasn't been thinking about going to school...probably doesn't need it anymore."

"You don't know that," Nora objected, "What if she doesn't go as far in the music industry as she hopes, or she decides it isn't for her anymore and doesn't know what else she wants to do? At least having an education under her belt won't leave her in the dark if it all doesn't work out..." To Jade's surprise, she heard Nora softly knock on the wooden table as she said that. "Look, don't get me wrong. I love Tori, and she has my full support in whatever she wants to do; just like I support you and whatever you want. But, as a favor to me, could you both at least think about this, maybe more now that you've gotten this offer?"

Jade sighed and nodded to her, "Yeah, I can think about it, but it might take a while to get Tori's mind off of...that." She tilted her head toward Tori and Tara at the dining table, which didn't take Nora long to figure out what she meant.

Nora was almost considering joining them at the table when her phone rang with Piper's name across the screen. "Dammit, she has the worst timing today."

"Language in front of your daughter~" Jade smirked as Nora leered at her before getting up to answer her phone. As she walked out of earshot, Jade turned to the dining table again, trying not to let the other two girls know she was observing them.

"So you tried to ask this girl, Casey, out, and she told you she was straight?" Tori tried summarizing what Jade had told them before.

"I don't know if she's straight," Tara groaned while stuffing a slice of leftover pancake in her mouth, "She just told me she had a boyfriend, and that was enough for me to know I screwed up."

"Hey, that's not 'screwing up'," Tori shook her head, subtly nudging a glass of water toward Tara as she ate, "You couldn't have known that without asking anyway!"

Tara took a long gulp of water, then shook her head vehemently, "That's not the part I'm talking about! In that stupid improv game, I let myself think she was attracted to me, but she was just acting! I feel so stupid!" Slamming her fork and knife on the table, Tori grabbed her by her shoulder and pulled her away from the table.

"Whoa there, listen to me, Tara," Tori rubbed her shoulders gently as she spoke, "She wasn't trying to hurt you or lead you on, okay? You were just playing a game and testing your acting skills, that's all! It's nothing for you to get so upset about."

"I know it was just a game," Tara sighed heavily, "I know she wasn't trying to mess with me or anything, but...I just thought I could finally do it."

"Do what?" Tori pulled her close, lowering her head in case she wanted to keep it quiet, "Was she the first girl you tried asking out?"

Tara whispered, trying to laugh and ease the tension, "Technically, you're the first girl I tried asking out, but it's not that. I...I was trying to get over Jade."

Tori blinked, confused, "I don't...oh. You mean you still have feelings...for Jade?"

Tara huffed, "Keep your voice down! She's right—"

"You still have a crush on me?" Jade's voice suddenly popped up behind Tara, making her stagger back, holding her chest. "Tara, I thought we were okay with this! We talked about this, all three of us, even!"

"I know!" Tara snapped, backing away from her, "I thought I was over it, but...I can't..." She looked up at Tori, then to Nora, then Jade, all of whom were staring in surprise at her outburst.

Tori seemed to understand as she got up, walked over to Nora and led her out the front door, leaving Tara and Jade alone in the dining room.

Once the door was shut, Jade turned back to Tara, "Okay, Short Stack, it's just you and me now. Can we talk about this?"

"Oh, now you wanna talk?" Tara crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat, "Where was this Jade when you knocked me unconscious by pinching my shoulder, drove me all the way here against my will, then tied me to your bed with handcuffs—do I even want to know what you had those for, or should I ask Tori?"

"That...I'm not proud of that, okay?" Jade groaned, "I was telling you that you shouldn't be alone feeling like you were, but you wouldn't listen to anything I was saying since we left the theater! I told you that we were friends; that I'd be there for you when you would ask someone out! I mean...what happened to that?"

"Tell me," Tara took a deep breath, "Ever since the first time you invited me over here, when we went shopping together, when I sang that classical tune to you, did you ever...dream about what could have happened if Tori and your mom didn't walk in on us? Because I did...and I still do sometimes."

Jade remembered her own daydream of the exact moment Tara mentioned; holding hands over the couch, her eyes fixed on Tara's post-shower hair draped over one shoulder, the other shoulder bare from wearing an oversized shirt, and their faces inching closer until something woke her out of the fantasy. She didn't say anything, but her face was all the answer Tara needed.

"I'm not...blaming you for this, or anything like that," Tara continued, trying to look away from Jade, "I know this isn't fair; not to you, to Tori, Nora, or even myself. But I can't help but feel this way about you, Jade. You might be snarky and crazy sometimes, but you're also the reason I'm not in the theater anymore, and why I've been feeling more hopeful and upbeat since leaving that foster home. That's all thanks to you, Jade."

Jade gave a genuine smile, reaching over and brushing back Tara's hair with her hand so they could see each other eye-to-eye. Though she didn't say anything back, both their faces were flushed red as Tara went on.

"I wanted to tell you how nice you look now; with your natural hair color instead of black and with all that goth makeup, but it was Tori's night and I thought that might make things awkward between us," Tara took a long look at Jade as she said this, then looked away again, "Guess now's the awkward time, huh?"

"Nothing awkward about that," Jade shrugged with a smile, "I'm...flattered, about everything you've said. Not sure I've really felt this flattered before, honestly."

Seeing Jade's smile was enough for Tara to finally break into a matching smile and sit more upright toward Jade. "Look, like I said back then; I don't want to get in between you and Tori. I know you're not in one of those relationships, and I'm not asking you to be. I guess I was just hooked on all these...feelings, but it's better now, after getting them all out like that. I'm sorry, Jade."

Jade shook her head, "Again, nothing to apologize for. If anything, I should be apologizing for that juvenile stunt I pulled to get you to listen to me. Won't happen again, I promise!"

The two of them shared a laugh before settling again, the earlier tension between them finally melting away.

"Tara?" Jade said softly.

Tara just hummed a response, her smile still across her face. Just as she was about to speak, she saw Jade suddenly lean in and lock her lips against hers.

A gasp escaped Tara as her eyes widened, but then slowly closed as her small arms rested on Jade's shoulders and she returned the kiss. They separated almost as quickly as they connected, but Tara was left blushing madly and briefly touching her lips, still feeling Jade's "presence" on them.

"Since your last kiss led to disappointment—partly thanks to a game I made you play...I hope that makes up for your crappy day," Jade winked and held a finger against her own lips, "No strings attached, right?"

Tara giggled, recalling her own no-strings-attached kiss to get Tori out of a similar funk. "Clever, Jade. Thank you. I'm glad to have you...as a friend."

"I'm glad to have you, Short Stack," Jade smirked and booped her on the nose, "We all are, and don't you forget that, because when you meet that 'right someone', they'll be glad to have you in their life, too, okay?"

Laughing again, Tara smirked back, "Did you get that from Tori or one of her cheesy romantic comedies?"

"Ugh...here I go again," Jade groaned, getting up and dragging Tara with her to the front door, "Let's just tell everyone we're fine before this ends up like some soapy CW chiz!"

Tara gladly took Jade's hand and walked with her, opening the door with that familiar, adorable smile that reassured Tori and Nora that all was well with them...at least until one of them would raise the question about Jade's handcuffs again.

The remaining daylight escaped them again as everyone caught up on each other's respective days with amicable shares of lunch, laughter, and Belgian cocoa. After Nora took Tara back to the hotel with her—along with Jade's handcuffs for "safekeeping"—Jade and Tori were left alone to contemplate their respective misadventures for the day.

"So...sorry for all that crazy chiz when you got home," Jade cleared her throat, downing the last of her cocoa.

"Forget about it," Tori laughed, waving it off, "It actually felt kind of...nostalgic, like the crazy chiz we used to get into with everyone back in Hollywood Arts. Speaking of school, are you really going to consider University of Miami? They did come all the way to you, after all."

"Oh...right," Jade sighed as they sat down on the couch, the folder and its contents spread out on the table in front of them. "My mom made a lot of good points when we discussed it. The classes we took at Hollywood Arts may actually count for something in their performing arts curriculum, so it may not even take 4 years to graduate."

"What do you think you might study, though?" Tori took one of the pamphlets listing their numerous majors and fields of study, "They have Theater Arts as one major, but I remember you took Screenwriting and some Film Studies, which are here, too."

"I dunno, maybe I could major in one field and minor in the other, depending on what's better there. What about you, Tori? I know you've got your record deal already, but have your parents dogged you about college anyway?"

"Oh, of course they have! I got all those college letters in the mail, too, after all. When I talked with Lane during our senior year, he said just about the same as your mom did, but if we want to apply our Hollywood Arts experiences as advance credit, it's better that we do that sooner than later, because our high school stuff matters less as we get older or something like that..."

"Geez, no pressure, much?" Jade shook her head, "Looks like there's still time to apply for their spring semester, but...do you see yourself getting any busier at Neutronium soon?"

"Mason hasn't really told me much, which...is unfortunately not unusual," Tori shrugged, "But my email is swamped with more interview requests and even asking to model for their magazines, too. I actually have one coming up with Miami Music Weekly, according to the woman that interviewed me."

Jade resisted the urge to tease Tori about being a model and pulled her in by her shoulders, "Sounds like you're getting your first tastes of the music star life, babe, even if it's on a local scale first. How do you feel about the interview today?"

"I think it went alright," Tori nodded, albeit nervously, "I guess we'll just see when the magazine comes out next week. She said she wouldn't be able to email me a draft like Piper does, so I'm a little worried if her editors will be alright with what I said."

"Yeah, that would suck if they weren't, but was there anything in particular you're stressing about? What about you being queer, since you were so amped about that this morning?"

"Your mom actually helped me get over that, in a way," Tori smiled, "She told me to make sure I emphasized that I'm a singer and artist first, since I'm talking to a music magazine, after all! I mean, there were a few personal questions, but they were more comfortable than I thought they'd be. I'm just glad the interviewer was cool about it."

Jade smiled back, giving Tori a quick peck on the cheek, "I'm happy for you, Tori. Now you just have to worry about not blinking in front of dozens of cameras!"

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence," Tori droned sarcastically, "You know what? Let's shelve all this until tomorrow. We've had a long day, haven't we?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth!" Jade quickly grabbed all the university forms, stuffed them back in the folder, and dropped it on the table to get the TV remote, "And just in time for...this!" She turned on the TV, already set to a familiar crime drama.

"Oh, wow," Tori blinked as the brightness of the TV filled her vision, "Since when do you watch shows like this, Jade?"

"Since a good friend introduced it to me," Jade answered with a smirk, pulling Tori in by her waist to cuddle as the show's opening credits rolled. "I'm glad to have you, Tori..."

Tori leaned into her, returning the earlier peck on her cheek before settling in to watch together. "I'm glad to have you, Jade."

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

10.7K 331 25
Two lives drastically affected by fate. Two people who don't realize, how much each needs the other. But as fate can be kind as well as cruel, which...
38.2K 702 16
Sequel to playing house. Jade and Tori finally have their family. Two daughters and Jess. Happily married, great jobs and a love to end all loves. I...
28.9K 636 26
What happens when your best frenemy shows up on your doorstep uninvited and announces they are sleeping over. In this case it's Tori who's shown up...
86.5K 2K 19
Tori Vega and Jade West are always fighting, but what happens when Tori starts developing feelings for Jade. How will Jade react when she finds out...