Fragments

由 laughterandjynx

**INCLUDES WATTPAD SCHOLARSHIP WINNING ENTRY** land of stories, poetry, and competition entries that don't de... 更多

wattpad scholarship winner: four
ss: The Rosalind Peninsula
ss: The Sandman
ss: The Bus to Lamont
ss: Marina
ss:: The Hood, the Inept, and I
ss: Emancipation
story fragment // My Twist on Fate
p: To the Boy in the Walmart Waiting Room & Other Odes
p: Funhouse & Other Body Image Poems
p: Grapefruit & Other Assault Poems
p: Pinstriped & Other Life Experiences I Won't Have
p: In Baby's Town & Other Obscure Poems
p: Two Moo & Other 10-Word Poems
p: Into the Jungle
one shot: Friendship for Dummies

story fragment // My Twist on Fate

996 47 4
由 laughterandjynx

My Twist on Fate | Chapter Three

I stood there frozen for a minute or two before quietly shutting the door. What had I just witnessed? Breathe, Reagan, Breathe. Maybe it was just a trick of the mind. Maybe you're going crazy and hallucinating. Maybe this is all a dream and you're still on a plane. I pinched my hand. Nope, it hurt. I was definitely awake, which meant that my mother did cheat on my father.

The anger in me began to swell. What the hell was she doing? She was ruining everything! We had the perfect family, the it family. She just had to go and ruin it for me, didn't she? I knew she always hated me, I knew it. And who was that man with her? Surely he must've known that she was married. I mean she is wearing a wedding ring...unless she took it off. What was she thinking? She probably wasn't thinking, that was the problem. Everyone was in the house, what makes her so confident that she wouldn't have gotten caught? The fact that she had an affair in someone else's home sickened me even more. If you're going to do that, at least have the small courtesy have going to a hotel or something –not your daughter's boyfriend's parents' house.

I heard a growl that snapped me back into reality. I forgot I wasn't alone. Jayden had his teeth pulled back into a snarl like he was about to kill someone and tightened his fists. I laid my hand gently on his shoulder, an effort to calm him down. It seemed to work because his shoulders relaxed. "Hey," I said softly. "Let's go."

He nodded and started heading downstairs. I followed closely behind. I was led into the kitchen. I hadn't paid attention to the appearance of the kitchen before because Talia was distracting me with her fabulous cooking skills. I have to admit, it was a nice looking kitchen. It was very open and the walls were painted a pear green. Sunlight streamed in from a glass wall and the light wooden floors were warm. The counters were marble and there was a stainless steel fridge that took up a good portion of the wall. It was modern with a hint of classicness; I liked it.

Jayden, you okay? I'm so sorry for what my mom did. I can't believe that she would do that in your house. I mean, I don't even know the guy and-"

He cut me off. "That (choice of swearword that begins with "b" but isn't a female dog) is my father," he growled.

Wait, what? My mom. His dad. I clenched my fist. What if Talia had walked in instead of me? Poor girl would've shattered to pieces. My emotions began to stir inside of me. I began swearing like a sailor who had stubbed his toe. My blood began to boil. I felt like I was going to burst with this new, unwanted knowledge. And I did. Before I knew it, tears began streaming down my face and I began hyperventilating. My throat began to close and it felt like I was gasping for air. I made a noise that is similar to hiccupping. That's what happens when I cry. That's why I don't do it often. I definitely don't do it in front of people, especially people that hate me.

"Hey now. Don't cry," Jayden soothed, patting my back awkwardly.

"How can I not cry?" I blubbered. "I just saw my mom cheating on my dad."

"It'll be alright."

I looked up at him. He looked pretty beaten, but I bet he was in better shape than me. I was mess. His dark blue eyes shone with sincerity. Somehow, even though I knew he didn't like me, I believed him.

"Promise?" I croaked, wiping away a tear. I felt like I was five again, naïve and ready to believe whatever I wanted to hear.

He smiled weakly and nodded. I really don't think he hated me anymore–at least not as much as he used to. Strangely, that made me feel a little better. If Talia was serious about him, I wanted to be on good terms with him. If they got married, I'd have to deal with him during holidays and family reunions. I could still feel the hot tears stinging my cheeks as they flowed down onto my t-shirt. I tried stopping, I really did. But I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried to contain it. I stopped trying to silence it; it hurt too much. Jayden pulled me into a hug, giving me a shoulder to cry on. As cliché as it was, it was comforting. It seemed like he was making an effort. He soothingly rubbed circles on my back. I felt myself relax a bit. I took a huge breath and it was like a tiny weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I wasn't alone in this.

"Sssh, everything will be alright."

"I really hope so."

As I took in another breath, I realized he smelled pretty good. The scent was crisp and cool, kind of like iced tea. Actually, exactly like iced tea. Talia was one lucky girl. Crap. Did I just think that? No, no, no. I didn't think that. I'm just depressed and in shocked and he was just here comforting me. I was grateful. Yeah, that's it.

I quickly, but reluctantly, pulled away. "Thanks," I murmured.

"I should be the one thanking you. If you hadn't pulled me away, I would've done something I seriously would've regretted."

I shrugged. "I just didn't want to stand there anymore and look at that traitor. I thought you wouldn't have either." I spat the word traitor. What happened to my drama-free life at home?

"I'm sorry for being rude to you," Jayden apologized.

Huh, maybe he wasn't such a jerk anyways. "It's okay."

"No it's not. I shouldn't have done that. It's just that I've had bad experiences with..." His voice faltered. By the look on his face, I could tell it was a sensitive topic, so I wasn't going to press him for anymore information. "Look, you just caught me in a really bad mood."

"Like a male period?"

"Err...sure?"

I grinned. "So what do we do now? I can't exactly unpack..."

"Yeah, I guess you can't. We can go chill in my room if you want?"

Well, there was nothing else to do. Talia ditched me yet again. It probably wouldn't be the last either. "Okay."

We sauntered to his room, darting past mine. I was definitely not staying there anymore."

"Hey Jayden?"

He cocked his head. "Yeah?"

"You wouldn't have another spare room in this gigantic mansion, would you?"

He looked at me apologetically. "Sorry, no."

I frowned. I'd either have to suck it up and get over the scarring image or room with Talia. The second option seemed the most appealing at the moment.

"Where's your room at?"

He looked a bit confused, seeing that he was taking me there. "At the very end of the hall on your left. Why?"

I grinned at him. "Race ya! Last one there's a rotten egg!"

I took off sprinting. "Hey no fair!" I heard him call from behind me.

I reached the door and slumped to the ground panting. I need to get in shape. I silently vowed that I would exercise this summer. Not even a second later, Jayden jogged up, looked at my state, and laughed. "You must've ran really fast or you're fat from all the McDonalds. I'm going to go with the second one. I pretty much beat you with a slow jog.

I frowned and slapped his leg. "This fatty won the race. Being fat is better than a rotten egg. That's probably why you smell," I sang, winking at him.

"Hey! I do not smell. I showered this morning."

"In what? Animal crap?"

Now it was his turn to slap me. "You going in or what?" he muttered.

I held out my hand. He blankly stared at it. "Are you going to help me up or not?

"No." he replied, stepping over me and into his room.

"Jerk."

"It's Mr. Jerk to you."

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him. His room was a typical boy's room. There trash littered across the floor and video games strewn near the TV. The dark blue rugs matched his walls. I could sense the main color scheme was blue, black, and silver. I saw his comforter and about peed my pants. They didn't match anything at all. It was so random, that it was beautiful. "Really? Dora? I didn't know you were into that."

He blushed a beat red and hit me with a matching pillow. "Shut up."

I laughed at him until I couldn't breathe and my stomach cramped up. Mr. Macho Jayden had Dora bedding. Classic, just classic.

"It's not that funny," Jayden said, matter-of-factly.

"Oh yes it is!" I disagreed. Why on earth do you have a toddler's blanket?"

"My little sister bought them for me!"

I looked at him incredulously. Aww! That's so incredibly sweet. Any guy I knew would've said 'thank you' and stuffed them into a closet where they would never see light again. He really did have a heart!

"You have a little sister?"

"Yup. Her name is Taylor. Talia didn't tell you?"

I shook my head. "She must've left that part out...but she did tell me about your hot older brother. She also told me about you. I mean all she talks about is you. It's always 'Jayden this' and 'Jayden that'. It gets really annoying. By the way she talked about you, I expected some kind of God...but that was a disappointment. But your brother..."

"Okay, okay I get it! Luke's hot!"

"Well, gee. I didn't know that you felt that way about him..."

He covered his face with his hands. "She talks about me a lot? I don't blame her. I mean look at me..."

He flexed his muscles and I hit him with a pillow. How arrogant can you get?"

"Oh, you wanted arrogant? Alrighty then, you asked for it. I am a genius, for starters. I have a black belt, I'm captain of the swim team, the sexiest man alive, I have great taste, I'm an excellent cook, I-"

"I get it. You're super cocky and you need to brag about yourself to feel better. Hun, I can get you help."

"Is that so?"

I nodded, smirking. I think I won this round. I did a mental happy dance.

"Then what are your accomplishments?"

I froze. Crap. I quickly shuffled through my mind. Nothing. I had to be good at something, right? Nope. Should I lie? Think quickly! Augh...I think he got me.

"I'm good at not having girly sheets."

Hey, I know it was a cheap shot, but it was all I could come up with!

"That's all you got? You've gotta be kidding me."

"I'm a pro board gamer. I've never been defeated. Ever."

He snorted. "Pro board gamer? That's so lame. As for you never being defeated, we can change that. You've probably just played a bunch of pansies."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Okay, what game?"

"Doesn't matter to me. I'm great at anything."

"Who's arrogant now?"

"Still you."

"How about chess?"

I scrunched my nose. "You want to play chess?"

"Sure, why not? Scared you're going to lose?"

"No. Bring it."

He grabbed a chessboard and the pieces from under the bed and set the board up.

"Hmm, Dora sheets and chess. Not so tough now, huh?" I teased.

"Number one: I'm a genius, remember? I gotta exercise my brain. I'm a triple threat. Hot, smart, and amazing at everything. Number two: Real men have Dora sheets."

"Real men do not have Dora sheets." I disagreed.

"Yes they do!"

"No they don't. Real men know the woman is always right. And I'm a woman. Therefore, I'm always right."

He faked mock horror. "You're not a man?"

"Har, har, very funny."

"I thought so," he said, setting up the chessboard.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Prepare to get you're a** whooped. Don't worry, it'll be painful," I promised, winking at him.

"That's a lot of talk and no game."

"Bring it."

A grueling hour later, was defeated.

Haha, just kidding. Like I told you, I'm a champ. Never been defeated. Ever. And I wasn't going to start now.

Jayden threw his chess pieces down and wiped the entire board. "Way to be a sore loser."

"How did you do that? We've played seven games already and I haven't won a single one! You're cheating, aren't you?" he accused, narrowing his eyes.

"There's no need to cheat when you're playing, darling."

"Is that an insult."

"I believe it is, yes."

"At least I have useful talents," he scoffed.

"Still bragging, are we? Even after I beat you in chess. And you say you're a genius."

"I am a genius, just not a nerd."

"I'm not a nerd."

"Geek, dork, nerd, whatever. Same thing anyway."

"I'm surprise your shoulders can handle all the weight from your big head."

He didn't say anything. I think I won this round. Then he wiped the smug smile plastered on my face off.

"I'm surprised your cankles haven't started shaking with all...that. Or have they?"

My eyes widened. How dare he? I glanced at my ankles. They weren't that bad, were they? No, they weren't. They were pretty ankles, yes, pretty ankles. Jayden must've been looking at me because he burst into laughter. "Did you just call me fat?" He nodded, his chocolaty brown curls bouncing. "What does Talia see in you?"

"Everything."

I rolled my eyes. "I think Talia is blind."

"Probably," he agreed. "I blinded her with my sexiness."

"Every insult I throw you turn into a compliment for yourself!"

"That's how I roll."

I laughed, he laughed, we both laughed. There was a sudden slam. "It's probably Talia. She sounds angry."

I got up to see what she was so angry about. Knowing her, it was probably because someone broke her nail or something. Talia was a pretty chill person...except when it came to her appearances. Then all hell broke loose. I followed the sobbing into a bedroom. Except this time, this time it wasn't Talia. My mom was sitting on the floor, against a wall, in just her robe, bawling her eyes out.

"Are you okay mom?" I asked, rushing to her side.

She looked up at me and wiped away her tears, attempting to make herself look presentable. "Yes, I'm fine dear," she said brightly, her voice cracking in the middle of the sentence.

I stared at her. Was she serious? I found her crying and she says everything was fine. I hated the word 'fine'. People say it, even when they're not. It irritated me. "Cut the crap. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said innocently.

"Mom! Just tell me what's wrong with you!"

"Go way," she demanded bitterly.

"Fine whatever. Be that w ay. It probably has something to do with Jayden's dad, am I correct?"

Her mouth was wide open and she looked like a child whose hand was caught in the cookie jar. Except now, it was way worse than stealing a cookie. I left without another word. That lady infuriated me.

I returned to Jayden's bedroom, muttering to myself. "What was Talia mad about?" Jayden asked, curiously.

"It wasn't her." I could feel the tears threatening to fall. I tried to hold back, but it didn't work. They just flowed out of me like Hoover's Dam.

Jayden rushed to my side. "What happened?" His voice was filled with concern.

"My mom," I spat.

I didn't have to say another word. He understood. "Sssh, it's okay. It'll be alright."

I shook my head furiously back and forth. "You don't understand!"

"Actually, I do. Remember?"

Realization hit me. "Oh yeah. Sorry..."

"Don't worry about it. My dad's done things like this before."

I whipped my head around to face him. "What?"

"My dad's cheated on my mom before. A lot."

"Does your mom know?"

"She knew about one a long time ago. But she doesn't know about the recent ones."

"Why don't you tell her?"

"My dad. He threatens to hit Taylor if I ever tell."

"That's horrible!"

He shrugged. "If it'll protect Taylor, I'll do whatever."

"You are probably the sweetest older brother that I've ever met."

He blushed. "Thanks."

"Does it bother you?"

"Does what bother me?"

"That your dad cheats on your mom."

"I've gotten used to it. When I'm older, I'm going to take care of my mom and Taylor. We're going to move out of his house and get an apartment or something."

"What about Lucas? Does he know?"

"Yeah, he knows. But he doesn't care. He's as much of a player as my dad, probably worse."

"Oh." I was a little disappointed, yes. Lucas did have that player feel, but he was incredibly hot. Maybe we could just have a fling? Nah. I'm not a person for flings. That's Talia. I feel like we switched roles. She's in a committed relationship and I was considering a fling.

"Just don't go for him, okay?"

"Why, do you care?" I teased.

He bit his lip. "Yeah."

Well that surprised me. "You do?"

"Sure. You're Talia's sister. You'll be my in-law pretty soon."

"You guys are getting married?"

He shrugged. "Hopefully, later down the lines..."

"Aww! You guys make such a cute couple!"

"Thanks?"

They really did make a cute couple. They were both unbelievably attractive.

Talia was drop-dead gorgeous, to put it bluntly. Stormy grey eyes and platinum blonde tresses; perfectly proportioned; she was every guy's angel. She was a year older than me-17. Before she transferred schools to take an internship at Amori Company, all of the boys obeyed her every command. I was just her annoying puppy-dog sister. People had said that I was always following her everywhere, like a tail. An annoying tail. They didn't say that to my face, of course. But I knew they said it. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but for most of my life, I was jealous of her. She got most of the attention from our parents, the bigger room, basically, the good end of the deal. I was just stuck with leftovers. Literally. I had her hand-me-downs. Talia's hand-me-downs were not exactly what people would call modest. They were skimpy, way too skimpy for someone like me to wear.

Jayden was pretty handsome. Oh, who am I kidding? He's a total babe. If Talia wasn't all over him, I'd go for him. I always did have a thing for dark-haired men. He had to-die-for abs, great hair, gorgeous eyes, and to top it off, a dazzling smile. He must have had years of braces to get them that perfect. And from what I know, a good personality. That was especially important.

"So how'd you guys meet again?"

"Talia didn't tell you?"

Of course she told me. She couldn't stop squealing about it over the phone. She went on and on about him for days after that. But I guess I just wanted his point of view.

"Nope."

"Well, I was at my dad's company–Amori Company. It's an apparel company, you know like fashion designing and stuff? Well anyways, I was there handling some...business. And as you know, she's an intern there. It was her first day and I was told to show her around. I was less than pleased to be told I had to take care of some intern. I mean, I was going to be Executive Vice President for Pete's sake! I was expecting to take part in some big decisions, you know? But noooo, I had to help an intern. An intern! Anyways, that put me in a bitter mood. But then my dad introduced me to Talia."

He had a dazed look in his eyes. He looked in love. So in love. I wonder if they actually said the L word yet. Probably. Anyone would have to be blind to see that those two loved each other. Again, I was jealous of my sister. She had what every girl wanted –love. Maybe even true love.

"I guess I should be showing you your room, huh? I'm sure they've stopped doing what they're going by now..."

I groaned. "Can we wash the sheets? I don't really want to sleep on them now that I know..."

He laughed. "Sure. Well this is it," he said, gesturing to the grand room.

It was beautiful, like someone had this room specifically designed for me. The headboard was grey with a lattice thing going on. The blankets were yellow, grey, black and white. There was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall across the bed. A silver armoire stood beside a window that covered the entire wall. The light bled through the sheer white curtains.

Too bad my mom spoiled it for me.

"I love it. It's so..."

"It's all Talia's doing."

"I love that girl."

"Me too. Well I'll leave you to unpack," he said, setting my luggage inside the door.

I sighed and got to work.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

36.5K 979 82
In which Kim Saena is in a groupchat with a bunch of idiots Or In which Bangchan finds himself inside a groupchat with a bunch of delusional fans ~~★...
122K 3.2K 38
wander ; verb to move about without a fixed course , aim or goal . " im just living.." - r'monei
49.1K 1.4K 9
សាច់រឿងមិនសាកសមសម្រាប់ក្មេងក្រោម(18+)មានពាក្យរោលរាលអាសអាភាស🔞
29.7K 2.1K 51
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...