Broken Armageddon

By AGhostandAWriter

Humans were not alone, never have been in this infinite universe. Ignorance and self importance blinded them... More

Intro.
Important Information.
1.The Priest
2. Truth and Lies
3.Keep Moving
For Heart and Home (i)
For Heart and Home [Final]
4.The Voyberg Pact
5.Hidelburg - The Iron City
7.Plvdeniy Kino (Centre Stage)
Voja
8.Memories of a Distant Past
Voja II : Farewell to the Old Girl
9.Final Melody (Lodwy Mrzka)

6.Within the Iron City

11 3 0
By AGhostandAWriter

Once past the check point, Karl and his refugees were filtered through a screening machine which thoroughly scanned every inch of their bodies for weapons and other dangerous objects.

Beep beep went the screening machine performing it's task with smooth agility and in a short while it was Karl's turn.

Stepping inside a circular cage, a pair of robotic arms equipped with tube like objects casted a blue laser grid around his body and with precise movements those arms moved up and down along the grid.

Once done, green lights beside him blinked and the metal cage split open powered with a low hum from its motors.

"After screening, please head straight to the yellow tent for registration. ," repeated an announcement through the intercoms.

"Next one please. ," announced the soldier standing guard next to it and Father Paul went in while the children behind him watched in amazement and being a curious bunch they began bombarding the poor guard with questions only for them to be shooed away by the poor guy out of annoyance.

And one after one stepped in and went out till all had been screened and registered by the officials inside a yellow tent that was packed with drawers, file holders, printers and computers.

They then were each given an identification card which hung around their necks which would also be their housing keys in the residential zone that had been made by repurposing a stadium along with a supermarket.

"So where are the fresh batch of civilians ?," inquired a soldier wearing a grey beret hat and a matching unform to a guard manning his post outside the yellow tent.

"Oh, Captain Pyotr. The refugees are still inside registering, should be done soon. ," the guard replied,"Command's order, sir? ," he added

"Yes, another night of caretaking. ," said Pyotr sighing with reluctance and stating ," Part of me wishes to be deployed in the frontlines but it'd be wrong to yearn for such a thing."

"This place does get a bit boring indeed , sir. But on hindsight, I'd rather clean the weapons and gear than dig a six feet hole."

"Couldn't agree more, Private..."

"Pardon me Captain, but did you hear about what happen to the garrison stationed at Pyiskova ?," said another guard cutting into the conversation who must have overheard the Captain's statement.

"Please, enlightenment us, Private... Zavrutza ," taking a quick glance at the soldiers name tag Pyotr curiously inquired.

"The fifth reservist corp were wiped out along with all its inhabitants. But from what I heard, think they made a last stand which managed to slow down the Tengu advance."

"Seriously?!," the astonished Captain remarked with a hint of fear in his wide eyed expression.

"Yeah, that AC of theirs was a tough nut judging from word moving this place."

"May we avenge them, comrades. ," Pyotr said with a solemn tone mixed with a hint of anger and hatred to them who then silently nodded in agreement.

Recomposing himself, he dismissed them both and went inside the registration tent to introduce himself to the refugees as their kind-of caretaker and guide.

Once all of the refugees were ready, he led them out on a street where they got onto a bus headed for the residential zone.

As the vehicle drove along the nearly empty street where the only ones moving along it were them and occasional military patrols accompanied by a tank or an armoured fighting vehicle.

"Mister Paul, Mister Paul! What are those things ?," asked a curious child who was of the kids under the Pastors care. He pointed at the patrolling flight of four helicopters that flew fully armed to the teeth with missiles and heavy calibre guns mounted on remote controlled turrets under their bellies.

"Marie, what did your teachers tell you about stick ones head out of a vehicles window?," he gave a light scolding at first to the girl who with a slight hint of apology answered,"Keep hands and feet inside the vehicle."

"Good, good. I'll buy a toffee once we reach our new camp. ," a happy Paul said giving her a light head pat, " So about those flying things. Do you wanna know what they're called?"

"Oh boy oh boy, please pretty please."

"Hmm, they're robot angles who are called Helicopters. "

"Hli kopers?"

"Very close, repeat after me once more, Marie. Ha-Lee-Kop-Tars. "

"Helicopters."

"That's correct. Good job Marie, I'll buy you two pieces of toffee, that's a promise."

The plump little girl filled with glee pumped her fist into the air with her expression lighting up brighter than fire works.

Pyotr too overheaed a bit of this amusing conversation and he too couldn't help but feel a smile form on his face.
Such innocence didn't deserve to experience the trials and tribulations that have yet to come he thought to himself.

As they were nearing the mall which had been converted into living space, he got up from his seat to announce their arrival.

"Okay, people. Check your luggage we'll be arriving at the residential zone in a minute or so."

Screeching to a halt beside a checkpost which had couple of machine gun nests in front of it, the bus driver handed over his identification card to the guard who them waved them through.

The bus rolled forward slowly into a parking space where Captain Pyotr got off first to lead the way for the refugees.

"Everyone, may I please have your attention," said the Captain,"All adults with the elderly form a line, teens accompany the young ones and do the same."

Karl repeated the message to those who were either hard at hearing and the old people.

After the lines had been formed Pyotr tells to follow as he led the group past the rotating doors and up the only functional escalator where at the were two sharpshooters keep watch over the entrance to whom he said some pleasantries.

"Captain Viesnieva, a good evening to both you and the civilians as well. ," responded one of them, "Oh and please do try to keep them from being too noisy."

"Haha, will do Colonel Tavamno."

They continued their walk past empty store rooms and show rooms which were once filled with fabrics of various kinds now were used as guard houses and munitions depots.

"Okay, people. We're almost there, keep your ID cards ready," he informed them after they had passed by the deserted fast food stalls.

An automated turret sprang up from behind a counter where it then requested identification from all of them or else as its automated voice warned, "Non-cooperation will illicit lethal response."

"Chyrt. ," he cursed then ordering an override,"Input code. H - 0, F - 1, and Cv - xx."

"Override confirmed," said the turret whose eye pods changed to green glow and retracted its cannon.

"So,the instruction architecture is messed up again... if only we had the proper tools."

Turning back, he promptly apologized to the refugees who had frightened except for a few who were amazed at the technology even though it wasn't exactly functioning well.

Leading them onwards, Pyotr stopped and knocked three times on a makeshift barricade which was mostly welded car parts, shopping carts with sand bags.

A guard emerged from the nearby hardware stall lugging around a light machine gun and wearing full body ballistic armor.

"Captain Viesnieva, welcome back," the big man greeted over the line of sand bags as he opened the barricade entrance which was a simple line of shopping carts.

A reason for this simplistic and rudimentary nature was simply because they didn't have enough material to fully fortify their positions thus forcing them to make do with what was available.

The guard then stepped aside to allow them to pass through.
Captain Pyotr Viesnieva led the civilians further and further back which was when they saw the crowded residential area.

Tents of cloth and plastic arranged in neat rows. A dining area which was composed of a plastic chairs and tables taken from the adjoining restaurants and cafeterias.

And finally, the smell and sound of food being cooked and turned into bubbling stew of meaty chunks and vegetables. A proper meal at last.

"Now, may I have your attention please. ," announced Pyotr, " Those of you who a red ID card, form a separate group. Yellow and blue follow suit."

A minute shuffling of feet later, Pyotr then continued, "Red report to Section A - to the far left. Yellow to B - middle right. Blue to C - far right. Food will be served shortly if you have any problem do not hesitate to report it to me else it might end up endangering those around you. Now, wish you all a pleasant evening," after which he left to let them settle in and get comfortable.

The other residents who were already living there came out of their tents to greet and welcome them.

Introductions and pleasantries were exchange all around. The children mingled and played while the adults conversed with each other.

"You did well, Karl. Loosen up and enjoy this lively atmosphere. ," a monologue spoke in his mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 118 34
It is about two kingdoms fighting over planets and war begins and met each other in the battle field warnings : gore / spicy???? / death??? /
1 0 5
Kenji has always lived in a normal world until one day the world of the supernatural is opened up to him. He will have to fight for survival, for tho...
816K 2.4K 3
Odashen. Kamdemahn. Giant's Bane. Oldest One. On the worlds of the Avatar Alliance I am called many names and I am considered many things. Some see...
10.7K 198 17
... The Univet Garseria, a star nation of humans living in a systematic hierarchy. Where the self proclaimed bastion of human kind was made. For thos...