A Court of Distrust and Darkn...

courtofroses0326 tarafından

Nyx is starting to grow into himself, not just as heir and Illyrian warrior. He has grown from child to a pro... Daha Fazla

Gathering
Mission
Ally
Family
Distracted
Negotiation
Sea Serpents
Windhaven
Consultation
Arrival
Information
Gala
Celebration
Intrusion
Meeting of Courts

Home

695 26 0
courtofroses0326 tarafından

Keres's point of view:

I watched the mass of soldiers below me. The gathered group of men and women were fighting in waters that ranged from the rocky shore to waist-deep. The pebbly ground gave unsure footing to practice balance while water provided resistance against their strength that increased the rigor of their training. Some of the soldiers below used magic to train with their opponents, while others had none, so they used weapons of varying sizes and styles. Each soldier was cladded in armors that best resembled human chainmail. However, each link is created to resemble scales more similar to a fish or serpent than the metal rings of human chainmail. Though not my preference, the armor was standard for every rank. I didn't wear it as the movement is too nosy. Instead, I preferred specially crafted leathers from the Illyrians—a gift from my friend. However, I did change to the chainmail during direct combat as it provides more protection than any other armor.

I was watching intently as I leaned against the railing near the top of a gorge. The area below me was best known as The Cavern by most soldiers. The only way in without jumping straight down into the 250-foot ravine was by the ocean. Recruits trained there every day, and to reach the grounds, they ran from the barracks to the shoreline where they had to open swim to a cliff face. To find the entrance to the Cavern, everyone must swim down into the darkness and through the water before coming back up inside the cave. The cave slowly inclined to the open cavern, which is open and can be seen from above. Barely anyone chooses to willingly drop into The Cavern purely because even fully trained soldiers fear the drop, and barely anyone gains the nerve.

I was currently leaning against the fence surrounding the opening to the ravine, but the movement behind me caught my attention. While the movement had been nothing more than a merchant walking past with a cart of jewels, it pulled my attention from the training and towards the camp. Well, calling it a camp would be degrading the structures just a bit. In all fairness, it was a massive city of thousands filled with soldiers and their families. The city was known as Ophir by most, and it is the most heavily fortified area beside the High Lord's palace. The difference is that in contrast to the palace, this place felt warm and alive.

The buildings closest to the cavern and the city center are my favorite part of the city. The intricate details of the homes always brought a smile to my face. Even now, as I looked at the white marble and pearl-colored sandstone of the homes, it had unconsciously lifted my mood and softened the smile on my face. Each of the white walls sparkled as brilliantly as the porcelain sands of our shoreline. The roofs were sloped triangles made of clay shingles, similar in color to the burnt orange of the sunsets. All the roofs were built with several layers similar to scales to protect the homes. The roofs had sharp points at every corner to resemble the blades for which the city was founded. The windows, doors, and the very top of the pillars that held the roofs, were covered in gold foil that shone in the sunlight. Each house had particular designs etched into the front of their homes made in the same gold material. Some of the gold art even depicted the cauldron or the goddess in the design to show their religious devotion.

I surveyed the houses around me for a bit before continuing to watch the battle formations below. Despite my position, I didn't stand with the other officers. The officers tended to be positioned down in the cavern but in stands to observe everyone simultaneously. I preferred to survey the group alone and chose to stand at the top of the cavern from a higher vantage point. I wore my cloak to cover my form from any watching eyes as the crowd filed past me. Their feet shuffled along as they walked by. The market was one street over with the merchants from Adriata, so people were heading to and from that area. The civilian clothing style is lightweight cotton fabrics dyed with bright colors that drenched the street in vibrant colors that the white houses lacked. It made it hard to find a specific person standing out, but I noticed two. They were walking together but near the edge of the group. They almost seemed to dodge people that didn't come close to them, though they disappeared as quickly as I noticed them. I didn't give them much thought as I looked back towards the soldiers.

I turned back after a moment to observe the sparing. Some of the women were testing their strengths against male partners today. It wasn't typical for them to train together as they tended to self-segregate by gender or strength. I assumed their shift in training was from a grueling training demonstration that I had today with my own sergeants this morning. It was a way to show different techniques that I had learned to the eldest members of my armada while simultaneously demonstrating and encouraging the younger members. My plan seemed to have had a positive effect as even the newer members were attempting some of the moves below.

The session was originally supposed to be a testament to prove my strength and leadership. However, it became more of a demonstration session after respect throughout the camp was earned. When I was originally promoted as General and leader of the Summer Court military, most of the recruits typically viewed women as inferior. A viewpoint typically learned from traditional high fae families as well as lower fae ideals. As a result, it made it difficult for them, in the beginning, to take orders and follow my leadership. During that time, I didn't leave for many missions. Instead, I made it my personal mission to hand their asses to them every day until they understand their place and mine.

It was less common now to have someone question my position after years of beating it into recruit and ranking officer skulls. Now it was engrained respect, and trust can now be built because of that respect. We rely on each other now.

I pulled my thoughts away from the past as I switched topics to think over. I was debating if I should head home or head to the ocean for another round of training. The ocean was barely ten minutes from my home, but I was battling with myself. I couldn't decide if I should let myself relax for once or continue training. My home is away from the city and allowed me privacy. However, it was close enough for me to shadow travel to the city quickly, allowing me to observe and coordinate training materials for recruits.

I turned my head slightly when my shadows detected a familiar presence. They were agitated by the sunlight, and only a few snaked around my waist and neck to stay close to me. I knew who was approaching and didn't bother to look as I said, "Now what do I owe the pleasure commander?"

I had a total of 8 elder commanders who trained me as a child. After my promotion, they now serve as my advisors. They were stubborn and made their opinions known, but none of them would fight me on an idea if I were truly determined. They knew the power I possessed as they trained me to wield it. This one I knew as Commander Nathair, my strategist.

I turned my head when Nathair stopped moving and allowed my shadows to snake around my hands more in view. It gave off an ominous presence that most people tended to shield from. He did exactly what I expected. He took a step back and only said to me, "It's good to see you back in Ophir general." I nodded before he said, "Anything specific you watching for in The Cavern?"

I shook my head, staying silent. The shadows swept towards him, making him step back. Their amusement was clear as they danced around my legs when they returned to my side. One tickled my ear as it whispered to me softly, "He comes with news. Something is making him tense." I nodded and didn't say anything back before I said to the commander, "Out with it, Nathair. I know you didn't walk down from your post to chat with me about my duties."

While Nathair was the most commonly overlooked of all my advisors because of his timid nature, I didn't let him fool me. He has always been crafty and manipulative. It made him a perfect strategist but impossible to trust. Nathair shifted uncertainly by my tone before he matched my gaze. He was thin, and his dark skin the color of molten chocolate but was scaled in various parts of his body. Nathair's skin and his eyes vibrant pine green, showing his mixed heritage. He nodded and said with uneasiness entering his voice as he said, "Yes, there is. You have information that was delivered to your home by the sea snakes. I assume they don't bring about good news."

I turned fully to look at him then as I said, "No, they typically don't. Instead, they have been sent to locate information on the rebel groups spreading between all courts. It looks to be centered in the Autumn Court, but we can't be sure." He nodded before he shifted his notes in his hand to reread something. He cleared his throat from the rasp it turned into before he continued, "In slightly lighter news, there is a ceremony in the next few days to honor one of the men. It would be a pleasure if you were to bestow the sash to him."

I let a soft smile show at his comment before I said, "You've always known what helps cheer me up. How long did it take you to convince the commanders to let me do it?" He coughed in surprise, which turned raspy as he attempted to even his breathing. Finally, he said with an amusement coloring his voice, "Far too long, considering you are the general." I nodded knowingly before I beckoned for him to stand next to me. He approached my side and leaned over the edge before saying, "I would recommend a public display of leadership to remind them who is boss. Because, unfortunately, they have become a bit more dismissive of your leadership recently."

I didn't let the distaste color my features. No matter how much I wanted to, I didn't give them the satisfaction of a reaction. Despite my disgust towards the men, I wasn't allowed to get rid of any of the commanders so long as my father and mother oversaw my decisions. I masked my emotions as an idea struck me before I asked, "Where is this ceremony supposed to be held?" Nathair's face pulled in, and I could see the wrinkles that showed his age. He didn't live as long as high fae because of his heritage, and his age was showing. He didn't comment at first, trying to understand my thought process before he said, "At the center of the city. The stairs leading up into the command center provide an excellent view." I smiled softly and said, "How long would it take for you to convince the others to hold the ceremony below?"

My commander looked over the edge before he said, "In the cavern?" I nodded, and his face contorted before he asked skeptically, "Why?" I chuckled and said, "You can tell them it provides more civilians the ability to gather and watch the ceremony." He smiled and said, "And what is the true reason?" I felt the smirk grace my face as I asked, "do you remember how you taught me the best way to defeat an enemy is by defeating them mentally?" He nodded before I continued, and my shadows curled over my shoulders and around me at my confidence as I continued, "You taught that if I looked bigger and stronger than I actually am that any army would crumble out of my way."

He nodded, and yet his face was still confused as I said, "I'm gonna make this a public appearance to let everyone in the city know I'm back. It will also intimidate your peers enough to redisplay my superiority." He chuckled before saying, "I don't know what you're going to do, but I'm interested to see." I smiled and said, "I think you'll be pleased."

    Nathair nodded, and we turned back to watch the pits before the nagging thought that has been plaguing my mind since meeting with my mother. I sighed and asked Nathair, who turned interested at to what had been bugging me, "Have you heard of the brilliant plan my mother has concocted for me?" My commander snorted and said with his voice almost a hiss, "Unfortunately, I think we all have. We warned her against bringing the very thought up to you. I figured when you found out there would be a fight."

    I didn't comment before my commander asked quietly, "Was there a fight?" I didn't answer at first. Either I created a lie, and I risked them finding out what actually happened. Or I tell the truth and be surrounded by their bloodthirsty intentions. They would think my lack of anger at the idea means I'm open to it. They would try anything to get rid of me, and if marriage were a suitable option, it would be achieved.

I kept my voice even as I said, "Let's say my mother's favorite sitting room needs to be remodeled. There is probably some damage that needs repairing." It wasn't technically a lie, but it gave the implication of a fight worse than what it was. Nathair shifted and said, "I'm glad to see your determination and stubbornness are still intact."

I didn't comment on how his voice dipped in regret when he figured out I had fought, nor did I miss the step back he took in fear when I turned again. It was good he kept his distance. While the only advisor who truly worked in my interest, it didn't mean I trusted him in any way. He was just the easiest and best option to manipulate the other commanders without drawing attention to me.

I looked at the city briefly before I said, "It's about time I returned to my home. Do make sure the other commanders know about the location change for the ceremony." His face contorted, and he was tense as he witnessed the shadows emerging at my back. As I faced the sun, it gave my shadows shade to emerge from. They twirled around my arms and legs, just barely entering the light to wrap around my limbs.

I vanished into the shadow world without another word, leaving my commander to himself. When I appeared at my home, I relaxed. The one place in the world I truly felt comforted and safe.

The towering palace of tan and gold had pointed roofs that overlapped each other to resemble scales. It was similar to the roofs of Orphir but with more detail. There is a multitude of stained glass windows covering the walls. Some windows were transparent, while others stained blues and whites of the ocean colors. I preferred to fill my home with a lot of light, contrary to what my shadows may prefer.

I crossed the small bridge over the trickling water. The flowing river was thin and shallow here, allowing for fish to live near the surface. The flowing water over the smooth stones allowed for a relaxing trickle to be constantly be heard. The river flowed towards the ocean, which was about a ten-minute walk from my home. At the end of the river, it pours into the ocean at a waterfall. The waterfall was beautiful this time of year and one of my favorite places to visit at night because of the cove it poured into.

I approached the door, gently trailing my fingers over the wind chimes. They sparkled in the light, and the soothing sounds were continued as the ocean breeze continued their chiming. I leaned against the large double doors for a second. I allowed myself the chance to take in the calmness as I let the tranquility leave it behind. To leave all my edges and harsh comments elsewhere. This wasn't the place for anger and hate. My shadows knew it as well, and they twisted around my form to cheer me up before they scattered around the porch that surrounded the entire home. They did this to make sure as I relaxed that nothing was wrong. After I had successfully calmed myself, I pushed open the golden doors painted with bright images of the ocean.

As I entered, I immediately heard the shuffling of feet and smiled as I saw one of the few people in this world that I trusted. Alis was standing just in the doorway with her hands on her hips. She gestured to my boots and said quickly, "Take those off this instant. You'll make a mess on your shinning white floors. Cauldron only knows what muck needs to be cleaned off those boots."

I shook my head and quickly tossed my boots before bringing the lesser fae in for a hug. Her wooden skin was coarse but comforting, just as her leaf and flower-strewn hair framing. She was tiny and barely came up to my chest, but her form was plump. She ran my house since I had it built. She was my maid during my childhood, and after I split from the palace, I offered her seclusion for her and her nephews in a place of peace. I assumed the boys were in Orphir now. One was a soldier while the other worked in the trade. They both made good livings and lived comfortably with families, of that I made sure.

She patted my cheeks in a comforting gesture before she noticed my hair and her face fell. My hair had the curls from the cornrows that she had put in my hair. She always did my hair up during a mission to make sure it was out of the way. Alis sighed and asked with regret, coloring her voice, "Where did they send you off now?" I smiled and said with my attempt at humor, "It's a pleasure to see you again too." She waved a hand and said, "I don't have enough time for pleasures. But I do have time to sit while you eat. Come tell me what happened."

I almost laughed at Alis's excited gaze as she pulled me along. We walked through the high vaulted ceilings of glass that let the light shine into the room. My shadows hummed in delight as they drifted around after us. They twisted amongst the white columns that held up the ceilings and twisted around the various wind chimes I created over the years.

My shadows weaved in between Alis's feet, almost tripping her. She tried her best to scold the black wispy forms, but I heard their silent chuckles, and it was comical to watch her shake her head after them. Finally, she led me to the open area of the dining room. Glass walls surrounded the room, with the ocean glimpsed on the horizon.

She gestured for me to sit at the head, and I did only after she pushed towards it, but only because I made her sit next to me. None of my rooms in this house were formal, this one especially. The table was made of white marble and only built for eight. The bar and chairs were made of the same reclaimed wood from the ocean.

Alis sat next to me as she made the food appear before me. The seasoned gumbo shrimp over white rice was a favorite of mine. The garlic and butter smeared bread was the best part as I used it to soak up the seasoned liquids left behind. She watched me before I went to get her a bowl. She put up a fuss and nearly chased after me until I returned. I wasn't going to eat if she wasn't.

It was a comfortable silence as we ate before she asked in a soft voice, "Where did they send you this time?" Her voice was soft, but I could hear the anger directed at the word they. I knew her hatred for my mother because of her cruel treatment of staff members, but she seemed angry about my family sending me on missions now.

I sighed and said, "Somewhere nice for once." She looked up with a curious expression before I said, "I got to visit the Night Court." Alis's form stilled, and I paused my eating. She tried her best to seem unattached, but she failed. Finally, she nodded and asked softly as to faint little interest, "What for?" I leaned back slightly, and she looked up to meet my gaze as I said, "To prevent an assassination attempt on the high lords family."

Alis's eyes widened before her mouth dropped open, and I asked, "You know them?" She paused, and her eyes blinked in confusion before realization, and she said coldly, "I asked you never to analyze me like that." My shadows flicked around my ear, and the whisper was almost silent as it said, "She's nervous. She knows something. She's was in the Spring Court before Summer, but she seems concerned over them."

Alis sighed before she said, "Before your shadows tattle on me, I'll explain." I nodded, and the shadows flicked away from my ear as she said, "I met the now High Lady of the Night Court when she was still human. She was taken by the High Lord of the Spring Court to break the curse. I took care of her and grew to like her. I helped her leave the abuse of her former lover, the High Lord, for her mate in the Night Court. She went on to become a leader and warrior during the war. I owe her my life for protecting the Summer Court when they came to our aid. She is a fierce but kind lady."

I nodded, and my shadows became gentle again before I said, "Then you'll be happy to know they are all safe. Her children were unharmed. I made sure of it." Alis relaxed, and her gentle smile returned as she said, "I never doubted that you would fail. I was just worried for them, is all." I nodded and went back to eating before she asked, "How many children does she have now?" I blinked, and her eyes had become clouded as if she was lost in thought.

I smiled at her, remembering as I said, "Four. Two boys and two girls. Three of their children have Illyrian wings, and one does not." Alis nodded at that before she said with a soft expression, "I am happy for her. After everything she sacrificed for us, she deserves happiness." She sighed at her own sentence before taking another bite and saying, "But considering that there was an attempt on her life, I assume that she's neither content nor happy." I nodded in agreement before I said, "No, but none of the families of High lords will be until this mess gets cleaned up." She perked up before I shook my head in a silent plea. I couldn't speak of it, just if someone found out about her and came looking for information. She sighed before saying, "I do ask you to at least attempt to stay safe. You may consider yourself invincible at times, but you are vulnerable. You are a part of the High Lords family, meaning there is a target on you as well."

I shrugged and waved my hand that made the empty dishes vanish as I leaned back to relax. I said with a soft smile, "I don't think they would go after me. I'm no interest to them." Alis shook her head and stood before she said, "You undermine yourself too much. You don't seem to realize how important you truly are." I smiled as she straightened her dress before her voice turned more formal as she said, "I'll leave you to your thoughts. I'm sure you have some writings to do." I stood as she swept towards the door. I had no interest in writing right now, though I did have an inkling to swim before reading those reports. Before Alis left, she turned in the doorway and said, "I left those reports for you in your office upstairs. I assume the sea snakes will be joining us before the event with the High Lords, so I'll have their rooms cleaned." I thanked her, and she waved my gratitude off before leaving.

I turned towards the ocean, which I could see in the distance. My shadows curled around my hands, tugging at them. I shook my head before I said, "Enough with you lot. I'll read the reports later. But, for now, I'm going to enjoy myself on the beach." The thin, slightly transparent black wisps snaked up to my ears before I batted them away from me. I could have sworn they hissed in annoyance though it only made me laugh as they continued to swarm around me.

It was only after a few seconds did I realize what they were showing me. I could hear it in their whispers—the sounds of movement in the house that wasn't Alis. I could smell the scent drifting on the shadows as my shadow had approached the intruder. I pulled the knife from my side and my shadows, now curling around me in excitement at having caught my attention, raced towards the room.

I was worried about why they didn't alert me when I reached home that someone was here. The shadows now curling around my waist as I questioned their actions. They didn't answer much to my annoyance and only fled after the shadows leading me towards the assailant. I climbed the left staircase, which leads to the left side of the upper level. The two staircases were pressed against either side of the foyer wall and connected the two sides of the house.

I climbed the stairs slowly, careful to avoid any known creaks as I kept my form silent. The intruder couldn't have winnowed into the estate, which means he knew enough to know that this place was hidden. I pulled the second knife from where it was in the sheath at my back. I sent some shadows to protect Alis, and they hesitated but did what I commanded after a glare.

From what I could tell, was the shadows were leading me past my room and towards my office. What confused me was why an assailant would leave an excellent location to attack me when I'm most vulnerable and instead chose my open office space with no hiding spaces. I didn't have too much time to dwell on the question as I came upon the door. I could smell his scent now, while masked probably by glamours; it was a strong scent.

I pushed open the door and readied my blade. The assailant had picked the reading chair in the corner of the room to sit and wait. It had the best view of the door but was open for me to see him. I knew he was there instantly, and my eyes raked over his frame before he moved.

The knife left my hand quickly. The ash and silver blade barely flashed in the light as it streaked past at quick speeds. I expected a grunt of surprise or a yell in pain as the knife embedded in the intruder. I let my gaze quickly rake over the form as I blinked in confusion when the assailant remained unmoving. It was only after I saw his hand move, did I realized where the blade ended.

He was holding the blade between the sides of his index and pointer finger. He flipped the handle into his hand from where he caught the blade between his fingers. It was an impressive trick, and only someone extremely skilled would be able to catch a blade moving that quickly. I didn't move as a smooth voice like velvet and honey said, "Careful darling, you wouldn't want to cut me. But who knows, maybe you're into that."

     I kept my face cold despite the surprise at his words. The surprise quickly faded into anger as I held my blade steady. I shifted the blade to my dominant hand just as the assailant lowered the knife. He was twirling the tip of the slightly curved blade against his fingertip. I wasn't going to give him another weapon, but instead, I asked him with my voice like ice, "Who are you?"

     The figure sat forward out of the shadows, and I almost flinched backward until I saw his eyes. I had seen that piercing icy gaze before, and I knew them instantly. A smirk appeared on his lips as he said, "Ah, is my alluring facial features refreshing your memory?" I lowered the blade a little, not entirely before I said to him, "Not quite. I've only ever seen you once, and even then, I only had assumptions at who you were."

      I could have sworn the male in front of me winced as if my blow to his ego had physically wounded him. He stood then, and I pulled the blade upward to defend myself. My shadows were ignoring my call to my side. I glared at their useless forms floating around the room before the man said, "Do relax. I'm only approaching you to introduce myself." I didn't lower my blade until the man set his weapon on my desk. I noticed the tan folder next to the discarded blade. The closed file made me suddenly on edge. I didn't know if he had pieced through the papers and information while waiting for me. If so, I could potentially risk dozens of lives by leaving them in the field. I might have to reposition my spies if he did. I wonder if he would be honest if I questioned him about it.

      I relaxed enough for him to approach me. He was easily over six feet, considering I had to look up to meet his gaze. I wasn't short, but I assumed that based on my 5.11 frame only going to his neck, he was at least 6.3. The man held out his hand before saying, "Do apologize for my assumption that you knew me. Based on your friendship with my sister, I only assumed that you would recognize me." I shook his hand tightly as he said, "My name is Nyx. I'm certain my sister has mentioned me before." Arrogance and confidence oozed out of every pore, and I pulled my hand away from his warm grasp. He knew me then, enough to know of my friendship with Asteria. She couldn't have told him anything, so I assumed he found out about me by alternate means.

     I crossed my arms over my chest as I said to his arrogant form, "Oh, I can't say that Asteria has ever mentioned you. Certainly can't remember ever meeting you, so how could I possibly know of you." Nyx blinked in true surprise, and his face relaxed as I watched his form as we stood in front of each other. He seemed to be sizing me up as well. Seeing as this is the first time we've ever met, sizing me up was probably his smartest move as an opponent. I quickly figured out that Nyx wasn't going to harm me. He wasn't visibly armed with any weapons, nor was he outwardly aggressive. He almost seemed relaxed, as if this was entirely normal. So I played into his game and relaxed outwardly enough to walk close to him.

      I allowed myself to pushed past Nyx and into the room farther. I realized as I brushed past him that I nearly bumped into something. It was heavily glamoured, but I could sense it as my shadows moved around it. While I knew three of Asteria's siblings had wings, I didn't realize Nyx was one of those. I was going to comment on them before something moved towards Nyx. He leaned away from the shadow that darted in his direction, but it was determined. While most people would run in terror from the wisps of darkness, Nyx held out his hand for the wisp to curl amongst his fingers and around his wrist.

Nyx's smile was soft. He completely lost the bravado he had. For a second, I figured out why fae of every court called him attractive. His face was more delicate when he relaxed, kinder in a sense. He looked similar to his mother, less like his sister. His face wasn't as angular or sharp as his father's, but as he looked at my shadows, his eyes were wide and soft.

I pulled myself away from the realization as I glared at my shadows. The other shadows weren't listening to me and left my side to twist around Nyx's form. I've never heard them say so much as they tangled around his form. Nyx chuckled, and it sounded hesitant but almost exciting. The sound was sweet, and if it weren't for his unexpected presence, it would have brought a smile to my face. No one acted that way with my shadows. Nyx almost seemed interested as he looked them over. His gaze met mine before he asked, "Do they act like this around everyone?"

I shook my head at his question before sitting on the chair. I said with a neutral expression to give the impression that it wasn't a big deal, "No, they don't. They typically don't like anyone." I gestured to his chair in the corner, across from my desk chair, after a moment of silence.

      Nyx's body language gave off the impression that he was totally at ease with me, which was odd. He was in an unknown location, with someone he has never officially met, someone who could be hostile based on past events. It was an odd circumstance, but he seemed comfortable with it. Either he was confident enough in his abilities that he wasn't worried about me hurting him, or he trusted me enough that I wouldn't hurt him. Either way, I thought his confidence was misplaced at best.

     I let myself relax to match his calm exterior as I wondered why he was here. It wasn't about Asteria because it didn't seem urgent. I doubted it was about anything to do with connections and alliances to Summer Court. The ideas were endless, and I needed answers.

Nyx did eventually make his way over to where he sat previously. It took him a second, as he could only move with my shadows, as they were following him incessantly. I tried to call my shadows over with a sharp hiss, but they were uninterested in me. Eventually, I let them be as they calmed and moved around the room. After a while, they were uninterested in Nyx for the most part. They were oddly chatty with him, despite him not being able to understand their sound and speech.

As my shadows calmed, it allowed me to lean forward in my chair. Nyx raised an eyebrow at my stiff form. My elbows were on my knees, and my arms crossed over each other. He did the exact opposite of my form as he instead leaned back in my chair. His left leg propped up on his right knee, and his fingers laced together on his lap. His relaxed expression and cocky exterior made him seem like the image of utmost tranquility. It would have been an attractive image if his cocky expression didn't make me annoyed.

I looked him over before I got straight to the point, "I'm assuming that you are not here to kill me. I don't believe you're here on behalf of your sister or because of political interests in the Summer Court. So I'll ask you this only once, Nyx, considering it's a privilege that I'm calm enough not to be slicing you from pelvic bone to sternum." Nyx relaxed as he listened to me speak. He was almost hanging onto every word I spoke, and it confused me more. It was when the confusion faded, and our gazes met that I asked, "What exactly do you want with me, High Lord?"

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

39.6K 652 62
Azriel had thought his mate was dead for centuries. But when the Spymaster of the Night Court learns that there's a chance that his mate, and his Hig...
2.4K 93 15
(This is a sequel to another fic of mine called Betrayed. You don't have to read it to understand, but I highly recommend it!) Eudora Damaris believe...
57.7K 2.3K 27
Tessa has many secrets, not least of which is the fact that a) she's a shadowsinger and b) she's been dishing out unsanctioned retribution to deservi...
73.5K 2.4K 22
A millennium ago, the Cauldron chose Canna as its Keeper. At all times, she can feel its presence, hear its whispers. She traverses the faerie realms...