Behind Bars

Door -h0lytrinity

What happens when an innocent nurse falls in love with a dangerous criminal? Meet Alejandro Russo, the Don o... Meer

i n t r o d u c t i o n
00• aesthetics
Epigraph
01
02
03
04

05

6.9K 186 89
Door -h0lytrinity

"Oh daddy dear, you know you're still number one . But girls, they wanna have fun."

***

THE ENGLISH language was a complex work of art.

It was sinister in the same way that it was beautiful. Deceiving in the same way that it was straight-forward. Perhaps that was the point, nothing was meant to come easy and God forbid anything made sense on this forsaken earth.

Were we to blindly trust the person who made up all these words and sentences? Who could ensure that they were right? In a way, we were the blind sheep led to believe any information presented to us without a second thought. For all we know, there was some fragment of a man laughing at us from somewhere in the great beyond, amused at how easily fooled everyone was.

Or maybe, the issue presented wasn't that deep. Maybe it all came together somewhere that made great sense to anyone who looked into it deep enough. That was what divided scientists, historians and perhaps archeologists from regular human beings who just thought too much about different situations. They didn't have physical evidence that the professionals had stumbled upon. All they possessed were the thoughts swirling around their brain. Questions after questions waiting to be answered.

The mind was a dangerous place to get lost in.

Being alone with your thoughts was an unpleasant activity, mainly because you could run away from anything but your own mind and soul.

Was the human body and mind a trap for the innocent souls that possessed them? Some kind of twisted joke fate made?

That question would forever be unanswered.

Although one thing was always certain in this messed up world.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing really mattered. For in the end, we were all going to die. And soon enough, people would stop mourning you, eventually you'll be forgotten. Just another nameless, faceless being that once meant something.

With time, the flowers left at your grave would wither away, less visitors would stand over your buried corpse and cry, and they would have to move on at some point.

It was the way the earth worked.

You would finally be at peace.

Except not everyone would find solace in death.

For there was no true rest for the wicked
*

My fingertips lightly caressed the spine of the book I was reading. The fresh smell of the pages invaded my senses and I almost smiled at the scent. Almost.

Pride and Prejudice was a cliché classic, I was two more reads away from being able to recite the book off memory. In a way I found comfort within Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's characters. Perhaps it was the over-used but effective 'enemies to lovers' trope that had me hooked.

Development between two characters was somehow, a symbol of optimism for avid readers like me. It meant that two lost souls could find each other despite the matters the world brought upon them. Maybe our person was out there. Wishing on a love that would sweep them off their feet.

But that was another messed up factor of this earth.

Two souls that were designed, tailored for each other, had a one in a billion chance of meeting. Why create a powerful love but make it almost impossible to have?

I focused my attention on the bustling city outside the window instead of my time consuming thoughts. The sun set right in front of me. A mixture of vivid reds and oranges casting a bright hue over the many buildings New York had to offer.

With a sigh, I set the long forgotten book on my night stand and ventured out into the extended living area. Greeting my roommate as I walked passed her.

"I made some shitty knock off pasta I found on the internet earlier if you're hungry." I looked over my shoulder at the brown haired beauty and smiled as she leaned over the couch, hair sprawled all over her face.

It needed to be cut.

"Thanks Z, I was just about to get food." She nodded and turned back to focus on whatever movie was playing on the television.

After warming up and plating the surprisingly delicious looking pasta, I strolled over and sat right next to her.

My fork wrapped around the spaghetti strands and I moaned at the taste. "This is actually so good."

The girl beside me smiled proudly. "I thought so too, not bad for a disastrous chef." I giggled lightly and realized just how much I had missed spending time with the ball of fire I lived with. As if reading my thoughts, she spoke.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in almost a week." She commented, lowering on the volume on 'The Titanic.'

"I know." I smiled sadly, it really did make me feel bad. "Work has been kicking my ass and it'll be doing so for the next month."

It took a few minutes to explain what would be occurring at work for the next month and she didn't seem too excited at the prospect of me being around Alejandro for that long. Zara knew as much as anyone would about the man. I felt the need to spill out the information I had come across in his file but I figured it was classified information and I shouldn't be openly speaking about the criminal.

Besides, I was home now and I shouldn't be dwelling over something that would only take place in the next two days.

"How do you feel about all this?" she asked warily.

I never really had time to think about it. How did I feel?

"I'm reasonably relaxed. They've done it before and everything seemed to have worked out well so I'm not all that worried. I would rather not participate at all but they chose the best so I feel somewhat honored to be doing it."

She nodded her head in understanding and dropped her head into the palm of her hand. "Just be careful, yeah? You'll have Sean with you I hope."

I finished off the last bit of pasta on my plate and set it on the table in front of us. "Yeah of course." She smiled, happy with my answer and I got up to wash the cutlery I had used after thanking her for dinner.

"It was wonderful Zara, really." I complimented. "I'm surprised you didn't burn down the kitchen in the process."

She snickered and switched positions on the couch, so that her head was laying in my lap. I stroked my fingers through the dark locks of her hair and smiled in content.

It wasn't often that we got to hang out like this but I was grateful when we did.

A few minutes later, she jumped up hurriedly and faced me with wide eyes. "I have an idea." Her eyes gleamed in the pale lighting and I groaned.

"No."

"What? You don't even know what I wanted to say." She crossed her arms and pouted in false anger.

"Yes, but I know you and I probably won't agree."

"Oh come on just hear me out, please?" I stared into her sulky eyes and instinctively rolled mine. "Fine, what is it?" I asked, already expecting something absurd.

"Well, it's a Friday and we're stuck at home, bored out of our fucking minds, why don't we-"

"No." I knew where she was going with this. "We aren't going to Marquee's tonight. You know how much I hate it there."

"Oh come on don't be so boring Amelie, I swear it'll be fun. You might get laid tonight too. God knows it's been too long. "Her eyes held the same sparkle that they did a few seconds ago.

"Nope." I declined, accentuating the p. "I don't need to get laid, I'm perfectly fine."

She smiled and I instantly knew a tiny light bulb had gone off in her wild head.

She still wouldn't be able to convince me.

*

She convinced me.

It didn't take much really, just the promise to do my laundry for the next two weeks. The offer was too tempting to pass up.

We walked through the entrance of Marquee's after the large man at the door ensured we were of legal age to enter.

The atmosphere was filled with the smell of sweat and booze, bouncing off the corner of each of the walls in this club. Different colour strobe lights flashed across the room creating the perfect cliché party scene.

Zara's hand had a firm hold on mine as she dragged me through the flooded dance floor to the more secluded bar area. We sat on one of the many bar stools and she tapped her hand on the counter, gaining the bartenders attention.

He smirked and looked at the beautiful girl, awaiting her order while completely ignoring me. Not that I minded, she usually stole the spotlight.

"Two shots of whatever tastes good." He nodded and turned around, grabbing an unknown bottle and filling up two tiny shot glasses of the white liquid. "Shots? On the first round?" I asked, staring at the foreign liquid in front of me.

Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy drinking as much as my best friend does, but clubs made me wary. I knew of the evil people that lurked in the corners, ready to take advantage of overly drunk girls.

"Yeah! Come on, loosen up." She shouted over the loud music, brushing strands of hair off her face.

I nodded stiffly and lifted the drink to my face. "On three okay? 1..." her voice faded out as I threw the liquid back, wincing at the awful burning trail it left in my throat. I shook my head as if that would help me get rid of the taste.

The girl next to me hollered in satisfaction, the effects of the drink not worrying her as much as it did me.

"That was fucking awesome." She squealed slamming the small glass onto the table. She looked as if she wanted to order another round but hopped off the stool instead, I let out a relieved breath at her decision.

"Come on lets go to the bathroom I gotta piss." She grabbed my hand and I nodded even though she couldn't see me, following her through the crowd and into the surprisingly vacant bathroom.

"Wait here." She ordered and I stood in place, checking myself out in the mirror.

A satin black dress clung to my figure, hugging my hips in all the right ways. The material stopped just above my knees, accentuating my thighs and smooth legs. My feet were decorated with a pair of matching black stilettos and I had no clue how I managed to walk in them.

In conclusion, I looked hot and I felt like it too.

My thoughts were broken up when I heard the stall door open again. Zara rushed out and washed her hands before drying them off and grabbing her phone. "Let's snap a few pictures for my Instagram we look too good not to." I giggled at her words and we posed in front of the mirror for a few minutes, taking photos from every angle.

After that was done, we walked out of the semi-quiet bathroom and back into the noisy club area. "I'm gonna look for hot guys to dance with. You comin'?" she probed, scanning the area with her curious eyes.

"I think I'm just going to sit at the bar for a bit, come over when you're done okay?" She nodded hesitantly and I gave her a reassuring pat on the back, with one last look she smiled and hurried over in search of her newest conquest for the night.

My body swiveled through the masses of people and I ended up back in my empty seat. The bar was still relatively unoccupied.

My eyes locked in on bartender as he placed a tropical drink in front of me. "Oh, I didn't order this." I told the man politely, pushing the beverage away from me.

"The guy sitting over there did, said you were pretty or some flirty shit." He shrugged and walked away, probably to attend to other customers.

I curved my head in the direction he pointed to and scrutinized said man.

He was handsome, daringly. I instantly widened my eyes at how good-looking the man was. His eyes were blue and bright, emphasized by the strobe lights flashing through the area. His brown hair was messy, indicating how many times his hands had ran through the soft looking tendrils. He looked to be my age, maybe even older.

I smiled at him and mouthed a quick thank you to the stranger.

He took that as an invitation, walking towards me and sitting on the seat Zara had once occupied.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked, flashing his white teeth at me.

"It is now." I replied, inwardly scolding myself at how awkward I sounded.

Had it really been that long?

He chuckled at my embarrassed expression and it immediately made me relax.

"You looked like you needed a drink so I figured I'd be the lucky guy who got one for you."

"Did I really look that out of place?" I asked.

"Just a little." He teased, knocking his shoulder against mine.

Twenty minutes later I found myself being pushed against the bathroom door, legs hanging loosely around the man who I came to know as Daniel's frame.

His lips feverishly attacked my neck and I whimpered at the feeling.

I forgot how good this felt.

"Do you wanna get out of here?" he asked in between kisses.

I nodded erratically and he let me go, allowing me to lead us out of the bathroom. I sent a quick text to my roommate ensuring her of my safety.

Let's hope I don't live to regret this.

This was Just a filler so we can see more of her life outside of the prison . + some cute best friend stuff .

Also , new love interest? 👀

Should I continue the smut in the next chapter or not ? :)

Also, would you like chapters in Alejandro's POV? Lmk !

- Liza

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

307K 7.8K 38
Book #1 of the Santos series Ana Wright is an incredible doctor; a surgeon, who spent her life helping people, making her one of the most famous surg...
39.2K 459 29
Book one of the Milano series. I was woken by a bucket of water threw on my face "God" I said shivering due to the cold water. I was in a dark room...
544K 20.2K 22
**Cover by @AndiApplexoxo** His hands are stained in blood. Her hands are white as snow. Living in their world, it's rare for someone to remain so...
272K 6.4K 41
Aurelia Lavender has only 2 months left in New York before starting her next semester in Madrid. Bored and feeling like she has nothing keeping her i...