good things fall apart • siri...

Da foolintherain

Not even the Youngest Descendant of Godric Gryffindor knew what was so special about her family's sword. The... Altro

Summer 1971
I'll race you
Stars, planets, galaxies
James Potter and his ducklings
Oblivious
Important business
In style
What makes her so special?
It's a mess
Enough
We are Gods
He'll hate me forever
I'll still like you
Gryffindor
Trés bon!
Who do you love?
Curly haired boys
My Cubby
Crashing down
Gone
These things aren't easy
17th January 1975
20th January 1975
23rd January 1975
24th January 1975
25th January 1975
3rd Febuary 1975
Abandoned
Stumbling blindly
I should be doing alright
Us
Hogwarts is calling your name
Crowded mind
Good times, bad times
Birthday boy
We're often left confused
Say no to Sirius Black
Gryffindor red
I hate boys
The Youngest Descendent
My favourite
Cornered animals
Family
Future weddings and firewhisky
Padfoot
She's back
Rearrange the stars
Tell me
Misdemeanours
Stormy weather
Communication breakdown
Intervention
Those four letters
It was time
Betrothed?
Putting on a show
The Blacks
Wicked Walburga
Who's to blame?
You look like me now
Naked truth
Dogs
Out of hand
18th June 1976
A wonderful day at the Ministry
Brothers
Everything's changed
The handsome boy
Uncertainty
Watch me
Chaos and chickens
Answers
Teenage fantasies
Fancy who you want to fancy
Puppy
Compromised positions
Him or her?
Jealous
'I'm perfectly fine' is a lie
Fragile things get broken
Baby steps
Patriarchs
Tattoos together
It wasn't that type of trip
Pretty stars burn out eventually
No more hiding
The beautiful girl
I love you
Reflections
Care
Stay away
Let's fight this together
Perfect
Important interruptions
Si beau!
Bliss and Beauxbatons
Rabastan
Unreachable dreams
Suffocated
Camille Dubois
Storm Sirius
We're bad for each other
You've been so brave
Forever now
Good things fall apart
The end-ish
During the Christmas Holidays 1977
1st August 1978

The Marauders

5.1K 89 68
Da foolintherain

"I swear to Merlin, if you don't hurry up, we'll miss the pissing train!"

The messy haired boy had always been impatient, but on returning to Hogwarts, his inability to wait seemed to become his only personality trait. Weaving around all the Muggles in King's Cross station, you'd think he was running from the law he was moving at such a pace.

This part of the platform was never the problem, it was always as soon as you stepped foot on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, that you had to start fighting for your place. After passing through the barrier between Platforms Nine and Ten, you were always instantly greeted by complete mayhem. Students and their parents everywhere, all jostling to get closest to the train. It was a miracle people didn't go missing in the crowds each year, but somehow everyone always made it on the train eventually. However, that didn't make it easy and the messy haired boy was having to barge his way by people, to ensure that they actually got close to the scarlet steam engine.

His best friend was dragging her trunk behind her in such a haphazard fashion, it was making people jump out of her way, but she was not rushing in the same way he was.

Instead, she merely revelled in her surroundings, letting all the chaos overwhelm her senses. There was just something about the hectic buzz of madness that was just so thrilling. But the messy haired boy couldn't be swayed into dawdling along amongst the crowd. He was up ahead, charging through groups of people and making them scatter like pigeons, his mind set on getting to the train.

They were by no means late, but no one could tell that to the likes of James Potter.

    "Stop shouting at me, this is our fourth year, I think I know what time the stupid train leaves!" The girl had to yell loudly over all the noise of other chatting students and their crying parents trying to stop them from leaving. She nearly took one woman's handbag straight to her face, only narrowly missing the handles flying through the air as she raced after her daughter who'd seemingly forgotten her hat.

As ever though, the pair's playful squabbling came to an end as quickly as it begun, James casting her a lopsided smile over his shoulder. The messy haired boy was only satisfied once they'd given their trunks in to be loaded onto the train, finally letting out a breath he hadn't known he was holding. His eyes were scanning the crowds of other students and parents, all saying their goodbyes, in a constant search for their friends. The summer had been odd, for none of them had seen each other since the first week in July when they visited Remus' home, and after being so close at school, there was a void in both the best friends' lives without them. However, James didn't get to search for long, because his mother bundled him up into a tight hug as soon as they came to a halt.

Both sets of parents had been following the children behind, making no effort to aid the girl who'd been dragging her trunks so tirelessly, or slowing down James as he raced between all the people. They very much believed in letting their children do as they pleased, for whatever they said, the pair didn't tend to listen to anyway.

The departure of the children to Hogwarts nearly always brought Euphemia Potter to tears and her husband usually had to pry her away from her son to allow him to leave. Fleamont Potter inevitably would ramble some nonsense about it not being long until they were back for Christmas, and James would promise to write regularly, but somehow it always seemed to be an overdramatic event. But then all the Potters were overdramatic. It was in their genes.

Ruffling up his son's hair so it stuck up in an even more unruly angle than it usually did, Fleamont then always had the task of pulling his wife away from the girl beside them, despite her having her own parents to be saying farewell to.

James Potter and Ellie Gryffin had been joined at the hip since before anyone could even remember. The messy haired boy would joke the two and a half months before she was born, were the best of his whole life, but everyone knew that was a lie. From babbling babies, to mischievous children, there hadn't been a moment when they weren't best friends. As joyful and animated as each other, they were like watching flames of a fire dance, scattering light wherever they went. From their first day at Hogwarts, it was clear to everyone how close they were and there was a long time where you never saw one without the other. When they welcomed more friends into their tiny circle however, they sort to make them feel just as cared for, so drifted slightly to allow other relationships to grow. Yet, they naturally found their way back to each other eventually, for they were bound by imaginary ties of the strongest friendship the Gods had ever seen.

Even when James went through an 'I hate girls' phase, he only lasted three hours before he got bored. That subsequently led to a very in-depth conversation with his parents as to what constituted as a boy and if Ellie could be classed as one, for girls were gross, but he still liked her. It was one of the rare occasions Euphemia and Fleamont didn't know how to answer his questions, but eventually the messy haired boy came to the conclusion Ellie had to be the exception to his 'girls are gross' philosophy.

Eight-year-old James learnt a lot about human anatomy that day.

The Potters and the Gryffins had always been very close, so it was no surprise to their parents that James and Ellie got on like a house on fire. Fleamont Potter and Cyrus Gryffin had both lived in Godric's Hollow all of their lives, going off to Hogwarts together and returning as family. Much like their children did. With the exception of James and Ellie having been family since before they were born. The fathers didn't think twice about taking on their family estates, raising their own family's as neighbours, just as they'd grown up. And so, the children had never not spent a waking moment together. Frequent dinners were had, and every important event celebrated as a six, for they were as much of a family as people that shared the same blood.

Ellie was an almost carbon of her mother, Adelaide. Cascading chocolate hair and a voice that could lull anyone into instant bliss. Apart from her eyes, she had Cyrus' big sea green eyes.

Nothing about her could really be described in a way that painted a picture of ugliness - not to the people that truly knew her that was. Her soul was beautiful and so she was beautiful. Not in a traditional sense necessarily, for she was loud and tom-boyish. A result of growing up with James Potter no doubt. She didn't have an affinity with make-up, nor fashion or even anything that resembled what someone would tell her she should be interested in, as a girl. But Ellie didn't care for those people's opinions, for in her mind, she shouldn't have to be anything people expected of her. She was her own person after all.

Instead, she wanted to be adventurous and thrill-seeking; unconditionally loyal and a kind friend; someone who was undoubtedly confident and challenged the world around her. And that's exactly who she was.

Yes, Adelaide sometimes despaired with her when it came to forcing her into a fancy dress for some formal event. Yes, Cyrus wished she would try a little harder where her school subjects were concerned. Yes, she'd been born an enigma and there wasn't one person it the world who truly understood the way her mind worked (not even James). But her parents wouldn't have her any other way. Her spirit was infallible and her presence intoxicating. With a smile so contagious it spread like wildfire; she was difficult not to love.

A Gryffin. As in Gryffindor. Her family the only descendants of one of the four Hogwarts founders, who started a line of only children. It was odd but meant that there was only one line with the claim to Godric Gryffindor's name. Ellie was the first girl born in the family for centuries, the last one having made her husband become a Gryffin, to ensure the name continued to be passed on. It was somewhere in the 15th century that the 'dor' was dropped, an attempt to rid the family of the attention they drew, but it never quite took off as well. They were pureblood and practically royalty in the Wizarding World and the beautiful girl hated it. Expectations sat heavily on her shoulders, for it was a lot to live up, knowing your ancestor was one of the greatest wizards of his time. Not to mention that it only made others believe they needed to treat you a certain way and Ellie only wanted to live a normal life.

It was the same oppressive spectre that loomed over everyone with any ounce of fame. The demon that liked to remind her that if she just had a different name, people wouldn't look at her the way they did now.

It wasn't that she particularly disliked the attention, for that wasn't what was suffocating. Instead, it was the assumptions on her character that was what she couldn't stand. The beautiful girl's laidback approach to her education deemed her the title of being 'a waste of good talent' and if she wasn't seemingly always courageous people would question if she really deserved to be a part of her family. Ellie wasn't one to become insecure by the words of others, but she felt an immense pressure to constantly live up to what it meant to be a Gryffindor. Both as a member of the house and with the blood that ran through her veins.

She knew it was a privilege to be blessed with such a significant ancestor, but it was difficult to come to terms with sometimes, when her parents seemed no different to any others. Only when they met new or important people, was she reminded of her family's status. The way people circled her parents as if they were the sun, seeking to win the affections of and please them just as equally. Cyrus and Adelaide liked to keep themselves separate from that world as much as possible, wanting Ellie to understand what it meant to value the simple things in life, which otherwise she probably would've not batted an eyelid at. They didn't want her growing up believing she were of a higher social status than everyone else, and she hadn't. Safely confined to the boundaries of the Gryffin and Potter land, the family only emerging for the occasional event that they deemed it necessary to attend.

However, this had thoroughly shielded their daughter from the sheer extent to which people knew of them.

Her first ever half-term at Hogwarts had been overwhelming, to the point that her desire and excitement to go to the school completely fizzled out. The beautiful girl had sent a letter to her parents begging them to let her return home and be taught magic by them instead, for everyone at the school seemed to be under the impression that she'd be this great witch already.

When she'd set alight a desk in her first Transfiguration class by accident and then subsequently made it thunderstorm inside once again (out of embarrassment this time) students of all years started to mutter about whether she was really a Gryffin at all. Ellie couldn't go to a lesson without people snickering over her initial lack of any magical talent and it was exhausting having to work five times harder than everyone else, trying to live up to the high standards set by her ancestor.

Of course, Cyrus and Adelaide would never have allowed her to give up so soon and assured her that both them and the Potter's were rooting for her.

And on the run up to Christmas, something just seemed to click. All of a sudden, she was performing spells with ease and it just came out of nowhere. Ellie had never been so proud of herself and before she knew it, she was proving all the rumours about her wrong. Her natural talent flourished and there was no longer any question that she was, in fact, the Youngest Descendant of Godric Gryffindor.

    "Okay mum, leave Cubby alone now." James grabbed the arm of the beautiful girl, tugging her away from his mother's grasp and everyone chuckled a little. Apart from Euphemia of course, as she was in pieces.

Cubby. The nickname had come about after Cyrus and Adelaide had both wowed everyone by casting their Patronuses one Christmas after a few drinks. The wisps of silver danced around the room in the form of a lion and its lioness, bewildering the two toddlers who'd never seen anything so beautiful in their lives. It was an impressive sight to behold, for they were both such mighty creatures. Even as translucent light they still looked intimidating.

A young James Potter had said to the small brunette 'that makes you a little lion cub' and it had just stuck. He also believed her full name of Persephone Eloise Adelaide Gryffin was far too much of a mouthful to be saying regularly, not that he'd ever say anything about it to her face, obviously. As the girl grew up, she graduated to the nickname Ellie after one of her middle names, as Persephone was difficult to write when you were still learning to spell and, in all honesty, she didn't like it much. It was far to stereotypically pureblood for her and it still felt as if she was being arrogant when she had to introduce herself as that now.

Her parents were both a little put out by her distaste toward the name they'd spent hours picking for her as a baby and still called her by her proper name regularly. Somehow, they made it sound elegant and regal, but Ellie quickly took off amongst everyone else and the beautiful girl rarely went by Persephone if she could help it.

The messy haired boy however, never dropped the name he'd made especially for her that one Christmas. In first year, their friends were granted the permission to use it, but apart from them, no one else really understood why she was called what she was.

The train whistle interrupted their long-winded goodbyes, signalling it was time for James and Ellie to go and find their compartment. Fleamont wasn't fast enough in grabbing his wife and so she managed to scoop both children up into one last hug, before Adelaide got another one in too.

    "Stay out of trouble, you pair." She told them, but they both just smirked, "Stay out of all unnecessary trouble." Knowing the best friends too well, Adelaide felt it better to reword her sentence and they both chuckled.

It was always sad having to leave, but Hogwarts awaited them and that would always override any melancholy moments. James and Ellie took their leave once they were freed from their mothers, making their way to the edge of the platform.

    "Make sure to wish Sirius well for us!" Euphemia had one last thing to say before the children were too far gone and both James and Ellie nodded, smiling wide, before stepping onto the train.

A new year awaited them, and it all begun as they waved their parents off from the doorway, the Hogwarts Express pulling away from the station.

The pair were no strangers to the usual hustle for an empty compartment, squeezing round the tiny first years who looked completely lost. The thin corridor down the train always took an unnecessary amount of time to move down, for other students were milling everywhere, blocking both directions. James led the way, having to physically move a small group of first years out of the way by grabbing each of their shoulders. The group had looked utterly terrified, but Ellie sent them comforting smiles as she trailed behind the messy haired boy, who had no desire to waste time in finding their friends. Luckily, they didn't have to search for too long, when they came across a compartment that already had two boys sat in it, both talking enthusiastically to each other.

    "Oi! I think you're in our seats!" James commanded as he slid the compartment door open, a huge grin on his face that he couldn't even try to hide. The two boys were on their feet instantly, mirroring the facial expression of their friend and embracing in a big group hug.

Remus Lupin, usually the group's moral compass, had never been much of a hugger. He much preferred his own personal space, but there were exceptions to every rule, and he'd missed James and Ellie greatly over the summer. He too was an only child and his family lived in the middle of nowhere, on the Welsh border, meaning he'd seen absolutely no one since the first week he'd spent with his friends. Finally being back in their company was like being given his freedom again, for Lyall and Hope Lupin meant well, but they were extremely protective over their son.

    "I think you've actually grown Pete!" James announced, ruffling up the hair of the boy in question.

Peter Pettigrew was by far the smallest friend, standing well over a foot shorter than Remus, the tallest. Ellie didn't have much height on him, but she had to have an imaginary extra couple of inches to accommodate her confidence. Being rather timid, Peter enjoyed the company of the loud characters of his friends, excluding Remus who much preferred to be quietly spirited.

    "You look well." After hugging Peter tightly, Ellie turned to Remus, placing her hands on his cheeks. By 'well', she meant rested and lacking any new injuries. She knew there wasn't ever a time he was going to look as if he were glowing, but it was common for him to return to Hogwarts after the holidays with new scars or healing wounds, and this time none could be seen.

That was a win in her eyes.

    "I am." Remus replied simply, a content smile on his lips as he grabbed Ellie's wrists to bring her small hands away from his face. Her eyes had a way of seeing things others didn't and it often unnerved him, despite her good intentions. She was relieved to see him as well as he could be, because all she did was worry about him once the fateful time of the month would roll around. However, Remus didn't like the beautiful girl fussing over him, or anyone for that matter, and he thought her worrying was an unnecessary stress put on her shoulders. It also drew too much unwanted attention to his condition, something that was only a negative in his eyes.

The lanky boy had a very complicated relationship with the full moon.

Upon hearing that her friend wasn't suffering, a playful smile formed on her features and her eyes sparkled with mischief. Tilting her head back and closing her eyes, Ellie did her best impression of a howl, right in his face. It was an inside joke. One that probably screamed 'Remus Lupin is a werewolf', but she didn't care. And despite his constant panic someone was going to find out about him, Remus only ever found himself laughing at her. She was comically goofy, and he could never find himself annoyed in the beautiful girl's company.

    "You're a prat." He chuckled, pushing her head backwards, so she stumbled around a little. Whacking his arm in mock anger, Ellie giggled almost uncontrollably for a moment, before James pulled her into the seat next to him with a smile on his face.

The group fell into their usual rhythm, chatting animatedly about their summers and sharing particularly funny stories. It was no surprise James and Ellie had many to share, for all they ever did was go around causing trouble when they were home, but Peter also had lots to share about his annoying little sister who only ever liked to cry. He told them about how maddening it was and how he'd actually considered being expelled from school, just to use magic to place a silencing charm on her.

They were all in hysterics, but the absence of their fifth and final member didn't go unnoticed. He usually wasn't this late and none of them had heard from him about if he'd been delayed. Instead, they continued with the joyous chatter, all whilst eagerly awaiting his arrival.

Sirius Black was all the way up the other end of the train, having been delayed in searching for his friends. He was glad of being able to avoid the busy corridors, due to everyone being in a compartment or carriage by now. But he was the keenest out of them all to be back with his little group of friends.

They were his family and it'd been an excruciatingly long summer without them.

He'd missed the warm atmosphere Remus created, despite the boy's constant internal conflict; he'd missed Peter and his endless supply of snacks; he'd missed his brother, James Potter. But most of all he'd missed his kindred-spirit that was Ellie Gryffin. Of course, the two had written to each other, but it wasn't the same as being in her contagious atmosphere of wildness.

Almost barrelling down the train, it was a rather frantic search. But he managed to find them faster than he'd expected, swinging open the compartment door in a way that very much mirrored how James had done.

    "SIRIUS!" He didn't even get a chance to say anything before the beautiful girl had gone crashing into his chest. Flinging her arms around his neck and squeezing him tight, Ellie was smiling wider than she had done all day.

She was just happy to see him in one piece, sighing with relief now he'd finally joined them.

When he'd been later than he usually was, Ellie's mind had spiralled into a panic over whether he'd turn up at all. James kept having to pull her hand away from her mouth as she chewed on her nails in anxiously, the messy haired boy looking no more relaxed about his other best friend being missing.

Sirius hadn't spent so much time at his home ever since second year, when he'd come tumbling out of the Potter's fireplace towards the end of summer. It was lucky that Euphemia was a Healer in her younger years, for he'd collapsed instantly on the rug, pooling blood everywhere from a deep gash in his side. The Potter household had never been in such mania. James raging with anger; Ellie in tears; Adelaide trying to consolidate them both; and Cyrus and Fleamont discussing calmly what they were going to do about the situation. All whilst Euphemia was trying to treat Sirius on the living room floor. The loving woman had been horrified to find that the wound was as a result of a nasty piece of dark magic. One she could heal, but not stop scaring. From that point onwards, both the Potters and the Gryffins welcomed Sirius into their homes as often as they could. Desperately trying to keep him from whatever lay behind the walls of his family home.

Sirius melted into euphoria as he wrapped his arms around the beautiful girl as tightly as she was hugging him. It was as if all the ugly memories of his summer just drifted away instantly, his mind settling back into the fact he was going home. Nothing felt better than being in Ellie's all-consuming presence, for she satisfied his soul in a way no one else could.

They were just the same.

It was probably why James had taken an instant liking to him in first year, on the premises that he reminded him of Ellie.

They were both as loud as each other and just as insanely stubborn. Sirius was far more hot-headed, something that got him into rather a lot of sticky situations, but Ellie was as equally passionate and together they were a volcano of intense emotions. Intense emotions that spent a lot of time bubbling just under the surface. Both overly confident and head-strong, once they had set their minds to something, nothing could be done to sway their decisions. They were a heady concoction of all things impulsive and together, completely uncontrollable.

Just like the perfect hurricane - Sirius' stormy grey eyes whipping up the sea green in Ellie's.

They engulfed the world in their chaos, swirling and spiralling constantly, as thunder rumbled threateningly, and the ocean roared in response. Deadly and unpredictable, they probably shouldn't be allowed to be as close as they were. But nothing was quite like Ellie Gryffin and Sirius Black, and it was undoubtably spectacular.

    "Hey Cubby." Sirius breathed into her hair, shutting his eyes tight for a moment, letting himself revel in her presence. Pulling away to see her face, he saw her smiling, the big toothy grin he was so familiar with. It's good to be back.

But then suddenly, she wasn't smiling anymore. Almost as if someone had flicked a switch in her mind and her features formed a nasty scowl. All in the same moment, she shoved him backwards, making him stumble out of the compartment and crash into the wall. No one really knew what was happening as she slid the door closed on him, Sirius being left looking rather bemused. He'd nearly gone colliding with a third year Slytherin, who'd spat some rude words at him for being so unobservant, but Sirius didn't hear due to his concern over what had changed so suddenly. One minute, Ellie was more than pleased to see him and the next, she was trying to shove him through the opposite window and off of the train.

    "That's what you get when you're late." The beautiful girl had to raise her voice so he could hear her through the thin glass panel of the door, her breath making it foggy. James tried to cover up the amusement creeping onto to his face, seeing Sirius looking so perplexed, for the messy haired boy knew exactly what Ellie was doing.

Remus rolled his eyes at the two. Nothing changes.

Once his mind caught up, Sirius crossed his arms, raising his eyebrows as Ellie continued to scowl. He was sure she must intimidate others, but he only ever saw the same girl who'd gazed at him in wonder when he told her about the constellations, their first ever night at Hogwarts.

    "You're just going leave me out here then?" He asked, a sly smile curling up the corners of his mouth. Ellie only nodded in reply, crossing her own arms in a show of challenge, "And what about when the trolley lady comes?" Her facade faltered for a second and Sirius knew she was cracking slightly.

    "We'll manage without sweets this one time." Turning her head away in defiance, the beautiful girl was determined to stand her ground, but she would always inevitably break under the gaze of Sirius Black.

    "No we won't!" Peter roared, louder than he ever had done in his life, panic filling every ounce of his body. They never hadn't gorged themselves on whatever there was to buy from the trolley, and it was tradition to see who could be in a sugar-coma fastest, before they made it to Hogwarts. When Ellie whipped round to shoot him a warning glare, his face flushed red in embarrassment and he sunk into his seat, with his head bowed. Clearly that tradition would be broken this year.

    "Come on Cubs, I'm sure you've got lots to tell me about summer." Leaning towards the glass, Sirius spoke in a sign-song voice, "I bet you missed me..." Slightly mocking her ability to keep him out, Sirius had no doubts that he'd be making his way back into the compartment soon, for he could already see the waver in those big sea green eyes.

Ellie did have lots to tell him and she wanted to hear about his summer too, but this was about principle. In fact, she wanted to teach him a lesson for being so late that she'd been worrying after him.

Batting his eyelashes dramatically, Sirius flashed his signature smirk, but the beautiful girl just turned her head away once again. I know his games.

Before she got to respond, Sirius' attention had been drawn away, his head turning to look down the thin corridor. Straining to see herself, her position within the compartment didn't give her a good vantage point and she was left in the dark over what Sirius was looking at so intently. His mouth moved, but Ellie couldn't hear what was happening on his side of the glass. A girl then came sauntering down the train, flouncing around as if she were walking down a catwalk. Her mouth was now moving, Sirius seeming to be having a conversation with her. Ellie half-acknowledged Peter asking who the girl was, but she was more interested in trying to hear the two's conversation.

The mystery girl was a Ravenclaw called Jessica Arnell. Tall, with shoulder length dark hair, her porcelain skin made her look like a china doll. Perfect and delicate. She was in all their lessons that the Gryffindors had with the Ravenclaws, Ellie remembering she seemed pretty skilled at Charms, but Sirius had never talked to her before. Had he?

The other boys also watched on in confusion, James finding the situation particularly strange, for Sirius had never mentioned the Ravenclaw. For all the times they talked about the messy haired boy hopelessly fancying Lily Evans, not once had his best friend brought up this girl James didn't even know the name of.

Jessica looked as if she were giggling a little, Sirius replying to whatever she was saying, but not looking necessarily interested in the conversation. Watching the Ravenclaw twirl a piece of hair around her finger, Ellie didn't find her intentions very subtle. The beautiful girl thought it was excruciatingly obvious, in fact, and she scrunched her nose up a little in disgust. Not for Jessica and Sirius talking, but for the Ravenclaw's blatant flirting. Sirius would never fall for it. He had more dignity than that, so Ellie slumped down into the seat next to James and waited for their friend to shoo the girl off. They were all use to him having to do this on a regular basis.

It was no use trying to listen in, for nothing could be heard and none of the group were skilled at lip-reading either. Remus caught the beautiful girl's gaze from across the compartment, rolling his eyes playfully at the scene taking place. They both stifled their laughter, whilst James watched Sirius and Jessica intently and Peter picked through a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans - a snack he'd brought with him for before the trolley lady came round, but of course he had to sift through all the questioning looking colours.

He still hadn't recovered from the last time he'd picked a phlegm flavoured one and subsequently thrown up afterwards. Ever since then, he'd been a lot more cautious.

James witnessed a momentary pause in Sirius and Jessica's conversation, one where they both looked slightly uncomfortable and he was debating just pulling his best friend back into the compartment. Sirius shot a glance through the glass window at them all, his eyes falling on Ellie, who'd failed to contain her laughter as she gazed at Remus. The pair were now laughing heartily over something, the beautiful girl's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

But then the Ravenclaw was moving closer to him and faster than Sirius could think, she'd placed her lips on his. Wrapping her arms around his neck, Jessica seemed as if she didn't want to let go, but Sirius hardly moved an inch. Every one of his muscles tensed and he stood awkwardly waiting for her to disconnect her lips from his. James' jaw dropped open wide in shock, drawing the attention of the others to what was taking place, Peter nearly choking on his sweets. It was a very odd sight to see, for only minutes ago, they were under the impression their friend had never spoken to the Ravenclaw. Yet, now they were kissing in the corridor as Jessica practically threw herself at Sirius.

Only seconds passed, but it felt like lifetimes for everyone.

A strange atmosphere fell over the four inside the compartment. None of them really wanting to witness the awkward kissing before them and they all stayed deadly silent, in fear of saying something that might cause a scene worse than what they were watching. If it hadn't been inappropriate to do so, Remus would've made a shameless remark about Sirius' obvious lack of skill when it came to kissing someone, their friend looking as if he'd been petrified. But he decided against it when he saw James' jaw on the floor and Peter squirming in his seat in slight disgust. Ellie's face was completely void of all expression and she'd become unreadable in a matter of seconds, her eyes fixed on Sirius whilst Jessica flung herself around his neck.

When finally, the Ravenclaw moved away, her face was flushed a bright red and she was chewing on her bottom lip nervously. She ran a hand through her hair once more, dropping her eye-line to the floor quickly and then moving even further away from Sirius. Her mouth moved for the last time as she put a hand up in a small wave, eventually turning on her heel and rushing away as swiftly as possible.

Having not heard any of the conversation that had been had between the two, the four friends sat in the compartment exchanging bewildered looks, once their friend was left standing on his own. James was outraged that Sirius had never spoken to him of the Ravenclaw that obviously he was having a thing with; Peter was still shuffling awkwardly in his seat; Remus was trying to cover his laughter with coughing; and Ellie was thoroughly gobsmacked.

For all the girls that had tried to go after him ever since first year, not once had Sirius actually gave chase and shown interest in one of them back. Usually he'd be quite rude really, either completely ignoring them or just telling them he'd get back to them at a later date and never doing so. However, clearly that hadn't been the case this time.

Ellie's assumptions that her friend would never be into a girl that was so openly obsessed with him, had been proven wrong and they all stared at him when he re-entered the compartment.

Looking rather dazed and confused himself, Sirius almost sat on top of the beautiful girl, making her shove him violently into the seat beside her instead. There was a long silence, whilst everyone continued to process what had occurred, everyone's eyes on the boy who looked completely distant. His eyebrows were slightly creased, as if he were thinking over something very hard and he brought his fingertips to his mouth as he spoke.

    "She snogged me..." Was all he was able to say and Remus rolled his eyes once again, Ellie suddenly snorting at how silly he looked.

Her previously unreadable reaction to Jessica and Sirius finally made itself known, as she placed a hand over her mouth - a physical barrier to stop her laughter coming out. Remus was very glad to see he wasn't the only one who found the situation so entertaining. None of them had ever seen Sirius Black so speechless.

    "We saw that!" James exclaimed, waving his hands around dramatically in front of him, only making Ellie actually begin to giggle as Remus chuckled too. They hadn't even gotten to Hogwarts yet and something had already occurred, the messy haired boy needing to know every detail. Yet, Sirius still looked as if he were in a Jessica Arnell haze, staring into space in front of him as the cogs turned in his head.

    "She asked me to be her boyfriend and then she snogged me." He was slowly coming back to sense, being able to process what he'd gotten himself into a little bit better.

In all honesty, Sirius hadn't known Jessica before she'd walked up to him minutes ago. He hadn't even acknowledged her in his classes, for he was always too caught up with his friends and didn't really like the company of anyone else. It was a complete shock to him when she'd announced that she really liked him and would like to be his girlfriend, because she'd never approached him before. If it had of been one of his admirers, he would've shut them down straight away and probably joked about it with the others after. But he'd been caught off guard with the Ravenclaw, his mind still wrapped around just how stubborn Ellie was going to be before he was able to make her give in.

    "How romantic." Remus commented, sarcasm oozing from his words, but James waved another frantic hand at him to get him to be quiet.

    "What did you say?" The messy haired boy lived for moments like these. Dramatics were in the Potter genes. And he just had to hear an exact and chronological recount of the scene he'd watched play out. However, Sirius may have been coming round, but he wasn't quite with it enough to start speaking properly yet. Instead, all he replied was...

    "Yes."

There was another long silence, where Sirius' mind caught itself up to be in the present. When none of his friends had acted the way he'd expected, he frowned a little.

    "What?" He questioned, not understanding why they all looked so concerned with his acceptance of Jessica's proposal. Granted, Sirius wasn't quite sure why he said yes in the first place, but he was under the impression they should be happy for him either way. Friends congratulate each other on relationships. Ellie only laughed more wildly at his utter loss of logic, making Sirius turn to her, a hurt expression on his face. He wasn't sure whether she was laughing at the fact he'd said yes, or whether it was the fact that he'd been able to get a girlfriend in the first place, and in true Sirius Black fashion, it only made him want to prove her wrong. Of course, she meant no harm, but he had this strange idea that maybe she'd be in some kind of awe. He was the first of them to get into a relationship after all, and with Ellie's love of a challenge, he expected her to be annoyed that he'd took the crown.

    "Have you actually ever spoken to her before?" The beautiful girl barked light-heartedly, tipping her head back in pure humour. Sirius didn't reply.

    "Yeah, mate, she could be a psychopath for all we know. Luring men away and snogging their brains to mush." James was no longer as enthusiastic about the situation, but starting to chuckle a little as Ellie's laughter got contagious. Remus was also back to covering his chuckles with coughs, noticing Sirius' less than happy reaction to how they were taking it.

    "Like one of those mermaid things that lure sailors onto the rocks." Peter chimed in and it all was only making Sirius slowly start to regret his actions, whilst also becoming angry at how hilarious they thought he were.

It didn't feel the same as when they were laughing at him for something he was doing that was purposefully stupid, and it made him go suddenly uncomfortable. He didn't know Jessica and for all he knew, she was doing it on a dare or just as a prank. Maybe she's just trying to humiliate me? And in no time, he was back to a confused daze.

    "She's not a siren." Sirius mumbled in reply, not in any way that was remotely convincing.

James was trying to shut Ellie up, for her uncontrollable giggling was setting them all off and he recognised his best friend looked rather lost again.

It was true, Sirius had never been interested in any of the girls that had tried to win his affections before. He was flattered that they thought so highly of him and he welcomed the attention gladly. But it also meant he had no idea what to do when it came to girls. Somehow, he'd gained this reputation that had everyone chasing after, when in reality, Sirius didn't really like anyone outside of his little group. The only girl he had any form of relationship with was Ellie and he could hardly say that gave him experience with having a girlfriend. He was also sure her guidance wouldn't be of any use anyway, for not only was she finding this situation funny, but she also wasn't the type of girl he got the impression Jessica was. It wouldn't be spoken out loud, but he was sure he'd prefer Ellie's company over Jessica's any day.

However, technically, he was now the Ravenclaw's boyfriend. And the longer he thought about it, the more confused over how he let that happen in the first place, he got. Sirius was sure Jessica was a lovely girl, but he didn't know anything about her. What am I supposed to talk to her about? Somehow though, he seemed to think they wouldn't be doing a lot of talking.

    "Well... How was it?" Sirius didn't properly hear Remus' question and just gave him a blank look, "The kiss? You fool."

All his previous confidence surrounding his decision had dissolved with his worried thoughts. Regret clouding his mind like a thick fog. It was blinding and suffocating at the same time, a tight feeling aching in his chest.

    "I've not really ever kissed anyone before..." Trailing off the end of his sentence, Sirius knew the information was known, but it still felt embarrassing to say it out loud. He wasn't one for talking about his emotions at the best of times and now he'd spiralled into a pit of sickening guilt and regret. Knowing he maybe shouldn't have acted so rash and let his mind think over Jessica's question for a little longer, it now felt like he'd backed himself into a corner. The last thing he wanted was for her to burst into tears or beg for him to like her back, because he couldn't deal with that. He couldn't deal with anyone that was going to trail after him like a lost puppy.

The uncomfortable expression twisting Sirius' features didn't go unnoticed by anyone, in particularly Ellie, who knew him inside out. She could see his conflict and the internal battle he seemed to be having with himself, some form of remorse radiating off of him as if he were a heat source.

Feeling the familiar sea green eyes boring into the side of his head, Sirius' gaze flicked to the beautiful girl and bile rose in his throat at the pitiful look she was sending him. It was as if she knew what he was thinking, as if she knew that he was regretting turning himself into a boyfriend before they'd even reached the school. And Sirius hated it. He couldn't have her know that maybe he'd said yes to Jessica, because deep down he just wanted a little bit of attention and it hadn't mattered off of who.

    "It was good though. Really good. Amazing in fact. Will be doing a lot more of that." His whole mood switched instantly as he put the mask of emotions on that he'd been taught to do from an early age. Speaking as if the best thing in the world had happened, Sirius relaxed back in his seat, smirking at the girl beside him.

After watching Ellie in hysterics over the situation, he'd gotten this overwhelming urge to rub it in her face, for he was going to prove to her he was capable of a relationship if it was the last thing he did. Knowing it probably wasn't the best way to have a healthy friendship with someone, he wasn't sure whether it would actually work, and he didn't want to cause some form of argument at any point. But when she huffed and looked away from him, Sirius was instantly satisfied. For some reason it tickled him that she'd seemed so concerned by it, almost as if she had something against him being with Jessica. Which would definitely be something to laugh about.

And so Sirius started his year already trying to prove a point, whether it was actually to himself or not, being a different matter.

However, Remus watched to two friends with a newfound interest in how this was all going to play out. He wondered what it would mean for them if Sirius was suddenly spending a lot of time with Jessica.

For sure, James would kick up a giant fuss, that wasn't something that needed debating.

Yet, he was curious to see whether Sirius and Ellie would stay so close if she were to be replaced in his life. The beautiful girl wasn't being, for no one would ever be able to fill a spot that Ellie Gryffin left. She was much too insanely unique for that. But he was sure Jessica probably wouldn't be too happy to find out that her boyfriend was running around with another girl. He was also sure that once the school got a hold of the information that Sirius was now taken, it would only spark ugly rumours about his friends, for him and Ellie were often away doing their own thing. There were already rumblings of suspicions surrounding the two's friendship, Ellie being the only girl in the group sparking the interest of a lot of students. It wasn't weird for them, because that's the way it had always been. But to everyone else, that meant that something had to be going on with the beautiful girl and one of the boys.

It was James for a long time, up until his undying love for Lily Evans was announced. Then the rumours shifted to Sirius instead, him and Ellie being the next closest. They all found it utter rubbish, for there was nothing romantic between any of them. However, the students of Hogwarts couldn't be told and so the group had just had to learn how to ignore people speaking about them.

They weren't popular by any means and anyone that had ever tried to get close with the group, would know how difficult it was. Yet, they seemed to find themselves at the forefront of much of the school's interest. Maybe it was their loud and overdramatic tendencies that made them hard to miss, or perhaps it was the fact they were always causing mischief, so there was usually a reason to be speaking about them. But as a whole, they weren't the most sort after people in the school. In fact, there was a large percentage of the students, who didn't like them much at all. They saw them as arrogant, obnoxious and just inconsiderate to others. When really the five just lived in a bubble of their own world. If people tried to get in on what they were doing, they'd close ranks and shut others out. They were a mystery to all and that was probably why people were so interested in them. Not because they were adored by everyone.

Much to James' dismay though, the group of friends didn't have the reputation he wanted them to have. The messy haired boy recognised they had secrets that needed to stay confined to the five of them and they were often planning things that others couldn't find out about. But he did like the idea of being well-known at Hogwarts.

And they were, just not in the way he necessarily wanted.

Instead of being heartthrobs and hero's, they were troublesome and a little dorky. He'd branded them 'the Marauders' after a group of characters in one of Remus' Muggle story books, right at the beginning of first year. Once they'd all become close, the messy haired boy had decided they needed a name to 'create solidarity'. When in reality, James just liked nicknames.

"I've been thinking..." James began, the group of friends all lounging in the boys' dormitory after a long day full of new homework assignments and Ellie having blown up her potion again. Much to Professor Slughorn's dismay.

"Careful James, that's a new thing for you." Remus commented, interjecting his opinion right in the middle of the messy haired boy talking.

James ignored him with an eye roll.

"We need a name. Like a group name. Like... the Gryffindor Guys!" He'd been thinking over it for a while and generally thought the nickname he'd come up with was clever, but by the hysterical laughing that erupted from his friends, James was no longer sure.

"That's the dorkiest thing I've ever heard." Ellie was clutching her stomach, she was laughing so hard.

"Are we forgetting Ellie's a girl?" Peter said, confused as to whether she wasn't actually a girl and just a rather feminine boy. And if so, he was absolutely mortified that no one had told him.

"Well, I mean she's practically a guy at this point." James replied dismissing Peter.

"Whatever you say, Potter." Sirius rolled his eyes this time, an exhausted tone in his voice - none of the boys were used to James Potter yet. However, Sirius stayed grinning wide at Ellie beside him, as she shook her head playfully at James. He knew one hundred percent she had to be a girl, because he'd never seen a boy as beautiful as her.

"Fine." James sighed dramatically, "What's it going to be then? It can't be stupid."

"Oh, because Gryffindor Guys wasn't stupid?" Remus fired back.

"Well, if you know what's best, why don't you come up with one? You've got to have read some Muggle book with a cool group of people in it."

They all waited whilst Remus thought, his eyebrows furrowed in contemplation. It took him a good three minutes before he came out with any suggestions and James fell in love with one instantly.

"Whatever you just said, it's got to be that one! That sounded so groovy!" The messy haired boy threw up his hands in celebration.

"Never say groovy again." Sirius deadpanned, only making Ellie collapse into even more uncontrollable laughter.

Inevitably, 'the Marauders' didn't take off, despite him kicking up a fuss for three solid months to anyone who had the audacity to just call them 'that group'. It had only made them seem more self-righteous and had earned them many mocking looks, for who came up with group names? They weren't exactly a rock band. He had to give up eventually, for too many people had laughed straight in his face. But to him, they always had been, and always would be the Marauders.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

446K 20.7K 15
❝ 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘸𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘩𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩...
16.3K 552 34
BOOK ONE OF THE MARAUDERS ERA SERIES Cazhvyre Ravens, also known as Rogue Ravens is feared in all of Hogwarts with her bad reputation along with her...
24.6K 351 73
"I'm sorry, I just... remembered something," she muttered as her fingers traced the scars on her throat. He placed his hands on her shoulders before...
2.6K 111 18
Cassiopeia Black, Or most commonly known as the kindest Griffondor. Always helping the youngests, because of the motherly senses she developed with h...