CHAPTER 24 - ❝kissing the devil❞

Bắt đầu từ đầu

She messages back almost immediately. My phone barely locked itself when her message came through. I can sense her relief through the phone.

Eden: Oh thank God you’re okay! I was about to grab my car keys.

I wanted to type a message but she sends another one right when my finger lingered on the keyboard of the phone.

Eden: And occupied? With what exactly? Riding your knight in shining armour when you’re supposed to be at school?

Even though I was so worried about Giovanni, I still managed a chuckle. Eden always knew how to make me feel slightly better in the most impossible of circumstances.

But after I chuckled at her message, I felt guilt gnawing at me.

Giovanni was in the infirmary fighting for his life while I was here laughing at a joke my best friend sent. The smile disappears from my face.

Scarlett: Of course not. I was just occupied.

Eden: Liar. I know you.

Scarlett: Now is not the time to joke.

Eden: I know you’re blushing.

Yes, I was blushing because Eden always created a mental image inside my brain when it came to the Castiglione brothers, well, a specific Castiglione brother, that is.

Scarlett: I don’t know when I’ll be back though. Something came up and I have to stay at the mansion a little longer.

I message her.

Eden: It’s okay. I’m just glad you’re okay. Just stay safe please. And don’t have too much fun without me. I’ll see you again when I see you.

I shake my head, placing my phone onto the nightstand again.

I sigh loudly, swiping my hands across my face.

“Who are you messaging?” A voice asks, nearly making me jump through the ceiling.

I turn my head so fast thinking I was dreaming, but there he was, standing beside the bed with his arm in a tight sling.

Giovanni.

“You’re supposed to be resting!” I almost yell. “And why didn’t Vito tell me you’re awake? I was so worried and—”

Giovanni chuckles, sitting down on the right side of the bed. “I wanted to surprise you.” He smiles. “And I wanted to come here to complain about how uncomfortable this fucking sling is. I haven’t even had it on for that long yet and I’m already starting to get annoyed with the damn thing.”

Even though I was so relieved that he was okay and that he was sitting beside me like he wasn’t shot at all a few days ago, I still managed to glare at him for laughing and wincing when he noticed that it hurt.

“You’re supposed to be resting and healing that shoulder of yours.”

“Come on.” He argues. “I’m fine.”

He shuffles a little bit but groans when the brace wasn’t going anywhere. I could tell that the thing around his arm was really making him uncomfortable, but that was keeping everything intact, so he just had to suck it up and to bear with it for a few days, if not months.

“So, are you going to tell me who you were messaging before I interrupted your blushing?” He asks, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“Just Eden.” I shrug.