"Good. I'm glad." Susan took the horn and strapped it around her waist. She seemed to notice them, then. "Who are they?"

Yvaine dropped into a curtsy. "I'm Yvaine Shula, Ambassador of Telmar, and this is Evolet, my lady in waiting."

"Welcome to Narnia." Susan said, inclining her head.

Lucy let out a gasp and a laugh, suddenly. Peter and Susan gave her incredulous looks. She simply smiled and nodded to Yvaine and Evolet.

"Yvaine has been sent along to help the initial work with the new treaty," Edmund explained. "King Hakan requested her presence."

"Do we need to send someone to Telmar?" Susan asked.

Edmund shook his head. "That was never discussed."

"It ought to have been. It's not very fair if they have to send someone here, but we don't get to do the same," Lucy said.

"Excuse me. Pardon me. Coming through!" Someone called. Yvaine's eyes widened as a large beaver pushed her way through the crowd. "Bless me, here you all stand, discussing treaties and politics, when these girls are exhausted. I'm taking them to a room and you can talk to them in the morning," she said. She grabbed Yvaine's hand, suddenly.

"Mrs. Beaver will take good care of you," Edmund whispered as they were pulled past. Yvaine shot him a confused look, but said nothing.

Mrs. Beaver let go of her hand as soon as they were in the palace. She led the way past a massive chamber with a glass ceiling. Columns lined the room and four thrones were seated on the far end, atop a dais. Yvaine paused beside the door, staring.

The four thrones of Cair Paravel, she thought. She recalled the prophecy Edmund had told her, several weeks earlier. "When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone, sits at Cair Paravel in throne, the evil times will be over and done."

"My husband told the Kings and Queens that," Mrs. Beaver said, appearing beside her. "As you can see, it's mostly true. Narnia is never right unless a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve is ruling over us."

"That's strange to me. If Narnia is a land of Talking Beasts and magical creatures, then why don't they let some of their own kind lead them?" Yvaine asked. Evolet giggled and rolled her eyes.

Mrs. Beaver led them up a flight of stairs. "Well, Dear, Narnia is Aslan's country. He appointed our first king and queen when Narnia was new and they were human, like you. Except, they were from the Other Place, like our Kings and Queens. Their descendants ruled us for many years and Narnia always prospered under them."

"I see." Yvaine frowned, not finding the answer very satisfactory. She didn't press Mrs. Beaver for any further explanation.

"Now then, would you like adjoining rooms?" Mrs. Beaver asked.

"That would be wonderful," Yvaine replied.

"Is there a room with a bath?" Evolet asked.

"All of them have one. We're not savages," Mrs. Beaver laughed. "Here we are. I think these will do nicely." She opened up two doors. "Take your pick."

Evolet walked into one room, so Yvaine headed into the other. "This is wonderful," she said.

"I'm glad you like it. Now, while you clean yourselves up, I'll fetch you some clean clothes to fill your wardrobe with and have someone bring up some supper. Would you like your travel clothes washed?"

"If it's no trouble," Yvaine replied.

"It's not," Mrs. Beaver insisted. "There are plenty of us to keep busy around here. I pride myself on a nicely run castle."

"Do you live here?"

"Oh, no. Mr. Beaver and I have a lovely little dam a short journey away from here. I'll let you two see it sometime. I come to Cair Paravel whenever guests arrive or to visit."

Yvaine furrowed her brows. "You knew we were coming? We left so suddenly that I didn't think many would know."

"Actually, no. No one knew you were coming until you arrived. I was just on a visit, but I'll extend my stay for a few days until you're settled in," Mrs. Beaver explained. "Although it's no surprise that you found yourself here."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll be back with some clothes and supper!" Mrs. Beaver repeated, not bothering to answer her question. She waddled off down the hall.

"Hm." Yvaine let the door close softly. She took in her new quarters for a moment.

The entire room was covered in shades of peach, white, and gold. They weren't normally colors she would've liked, but for some reason, she found them beautiful. A massive four poster canopy bed stood against one wall. There was a padded bench at the foot of it. Windows lined a few walls, and there was even a bay window with a bookshelf built into the seat. Several small furnishing filled the room and rugs covered the floor.

Three doors caught her attention next. Yvaine opened up one, revealing a huge walk-in closet. The next door revealed the bathroom. She was surprised to find that the bathtub had running water, somehow. She started it up, hoping the tub would be warm and full in a few minutes. The third door opened up into Evolet's room. Ev was also exploring and from the sound of it, her bathtub was running too.

"I love this place already!" Ev whispered excitedly. "There are five different scents of soap in my bathroom! I'm using them all."

Yvaine laughed at that. "Just don't empty them in one night."

"Don't worry. I'm not that extravagant."

"Mrs. Beaver said she'd get us some clothes and supper, so I imagine she'll be back with that soon. Do you want to eat in my room with me?"

"Of course. Then, I plan to go to bed. Now, excuse me. Warm water and bubbles are calling my name." Evolet crossed the room and shut the door.

Yvaine laughed and returned to her own bathroom. She stripped out of her dirty clothes and left them outside of the bathroom door. She closed it before stepping into the tub. The water was warm and she let out a sigh of contentment, letting it wash away the dirt of the past three days. Her muscles ached from riding the first two, but the water was helping that as well.

She ducked her head up and grabbed some soap. Yvaine sniffed it curiously. It was a mixture of lavender and some other plant. The next bottle was rose scented. She reached for another bottle. This one smelled like peach blossoms. She poured some into her hand and scrubbed at her hair.

After what felt like half an hour, Yvaine stepped out of the tub. She grabbed a towel and opened the door hesitantly. Her dirty clothes were gone and something smelled delicious within the room. Yvaine dashed to her closet and opened it. Mrs. Beaver, true to her word, had found clothes. A variety of them, in fact.

Yvaine quickly found a soft nightgown. She slid it on and let her hair hang down to dry. A knock sounded from Evolet's side of their adjoining door. Ev poked her head in and entered, carrying a tray. She set it down near Yvaine's, on a table.

Yvaine joined her and they dug into the food quickly. It wasn't as spicy as Telmarine food, but it was savory and more filling, Yvaine thought. "I think I'll live here," Evolet said, finally.

"Me too," Yvaine laughed.

"Do you think there will be any balls while we're here? You do have to keep up with your lessons," Ev said.

"I don't know. I suppose I can ask Edmund. He said he had some plans for us while we're here, and based on what he's said, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy does too."

"I hope we get to have some fun while we're here."

"Well, we do have a job to do," Yvaine reminded her.

"Yeah, but we can have fun too." Evolet flopped back onto Yvaine's bed.

"I suppose so." Yvaine leaned against the table and fiddled with a fork. "I just hope I can do a good job while we're here." Evolet didn't reply. Yvaine glanced up and saw her friend snoring away. "You've got the right idea." Yvaine jumped onto the bed next to Evolet. Within a few minutes, she had fallen fast asleep.