"are you sure?" i look up into his eyes, as he nods, "i feel awful. just a couple days ago i was turning you down-"

"things change" he shrugs, a small smile still on his face, "if you want to go with me, it would be my pleasure. i wouldn't mind making malfoy upset" he scowls slightly. i almost laugh, not used to seeing him any sort of angry

"alright then" i smile, "thank you, ced"

"anytime" he smiles back at me, "i'll meet you down in the entrance hall, then? before the dance?" i nod quickly, "great" he nods back, wrapping his arms around me again, "take care of yourself, y/n" he lets go, starting to back towards the hufflepuff entrance, "you let me know if he gives you any trouble"

i laugh a little, but nod, "bye, cedric"

"bye" he smiles as he knocks the code on the barrel behind him, slipping inside a second later.

__________________________

"so it's official? you're going with diggory?" daphne says at breakfast the next morning. i nod a little, with a smile

"an upgrade from draco if you ask me" pansy snickers, daphne laughs along as well. just then, draco enters, tailed by his friends. his eyes set on us immediately, and he walks over with purpose.

"y/n i've been looking for-"

"hey, malfoy" a voice from behind me says. an arm comes next to me, leaning forward against the table. i look back and see cedric standing behind me

"get out of here, diggory" draco spits, leaning against the table toward him

"in a second" he smirks, looking down at me, "i just wanted to check what color tie i should be getting for my robes? to match your dress" he says kindly, his tone completely different from when he was talking to draco

"oh um- blue.. a sort of steel colored blue, or white" i say quietly, not entirely liking the energy at the table

"great" cedric smiles, "i'll see you then" his hand covers mine for a second before he looks up at draco, glaring slightly before he turns away and walks back to his table.

"diggory?" draco says, slamming his fists down, "you're really going with him now?"

"not like i had i prior engagement" i shrug, looking up at him smugly, "he asked me"

draco lets out a loud exhale, clearing his throat and walking away, taking seats down the end of the table.

__________________________

after breakfast we have our last day of classes before break, the dance is exactly a week away. pretty much all fourth years and above are staying for the holidays, no one wants to miss the ball. i only have two classes today, potions and charms, as our midnight astronomy class is cancelled due to "insufficient climate"; i.e. it's snowing. i have loads of free time after charms, which i usually would have spent with draco... but given our current circumstances neither of us catch up with each other after class.

i go down to the library, pleased to see that cedric is there, seated by the arithmancy shelves. i take a seat next to him and he smiles.

"hey" he shuts his books as i sit down, "sorry if that was a bit much at breakfast. i saw draco walking towards you and i didn't want him to try anything"

"it's no problem" i smile a little. truly i would have preferred to deal with it myself, but i know cedric has good intentions, so i let it go.

"harry asked cho today" cedric says, "she said yes"

"well that's good" i nod

"yeah" cedric agrees, "i hope they have a good time"

he looks back down into his book, flipping through the pages and moving a little closer to me. he starts explaining what he's learning in class, most of which i hardly understand, but i still listen. at one point i think i see draco come into the library, but if he did he left soon after.

i dread every day the next week. with no classes it's hard to not see draco, as all of us spend most of our time in the common room. we do speak a little, but he's harsh and ruder than usual. not just to me, but to everyone. i've gotten him in quite the bad mood. daphne and pansy tell me to let it go, that draco brought this upon himself, but i can't help but feel a little guilty for it all.

i honestly just can't wait for it all to be over.

__________________________

AH ok so if u look back at the last chapter the dress you'll be wearing is the last one (the blue/gold/white one) but i mean if u wanna wear a different dress go for it, but imma be describing that one in the story.

also ik before ppl were concerned ab cedric but dw this is a draco ff lmao she's gonna end up w draco duh

in the future since i'll just be posting 1 chap a day i was wondering what time of day is good. i live in EST! for reference

vote/comment/share !

p.s. thank you for 28k reads + 2k comments <3