"You explained yourself perfectly last night," he said dryly, his green eyes glued to the road while his hands gripped the wheel like he was trying to choke it.

"You're clearly mad and I'm sorry for not saying anything, but I was scared."

He clicked his tongue and loosened his tight grip on the wheel. "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

"Why?"

"I thought you trusted me. You could have talked to me. Instead you led me on and played patty cake with some other guy from another gang, and not just any gang, but the worst of the worst."

I turned my whole ass body so I'd be facing him while I talked, because I could easily lose my patience trying to defend myself and I needed him to really listen to me this time.

"Cedric, I didn't ask for any of this. You act like I had a choice. I didn't. And I know you're upset about Elijah, but I promise you that I was not leading you on."

"Then explain last night."

"I care about him, I wanted him to feel safe."

"Nice."

"But I also care about you," I said, slightly moving forward so that he didn't have to move his eyes too far from the road to look at my face. "I like you both, a lot. And I'm sorry if I hurt you or made you feel like I betrayed what we have."

There was a sparkle in his eyes. Maybe I restored some hope.

"Let's just get through today."

The ride seemed longer this time around, but once I saw the familiar magical trees getting closer, I knew that the time to be scared as fuck was here. Cedric got me some make-up to cover up the tattoo as much as I could. In the back of the car, while he drove slowly towards the mansion, I applied the powder and foundation, and hopefully erased the cyan tattoo from my skin.

"How does it look?" he asked.

I checked my work with a small mirror Cedric gave me. "It's covered up, but if they check my neck, it's game over."

"I have an idea, but please try to look intimidated and scared. Don't overdo it, make it subtle."

"You want me to look like an innocent little boy who lost his mommy?" I suggested.

"Exactly."

"I better get an Oscar after this."

"I think my plan will work. If I was even remotely hesitant, we'd already be doomed."

"What's your plan?"

"They have a section in the mansion, like a hospital wing. We have nurses and people who are working day and night to provide services for all of our members. I think I can convince Lorena to let me do your check up."

"Oh, nice. That way nobody has the idea of checking my neck."

"They need to believe you're scared. I can't do this alone."

I met his eyes in the rear view mirror and nodded. "I got this."

Besides what was currently happening in my life, I couldn't remember a time where I was so scared I thought I'd lose my life. The feeling was new, and considerably unnecessary. The thought that I could die any second was terrifying in so many ways, but if it had to happen, I hoped with all of my heart and soul that death touched me swiftly.

The second time being in the presence of this monster mansion wasn't any different from the first. I was mesmerized by how old and beautiful it truly was—like a castle adorned with magical plant life squeezing around the high towers like serpents, and more plants and moss on the walls, creating incredible swirls and mysterious textures.