31. What Happened in Rome

Bắt đầu từ đầu

She flipped through the book, pictures of the devil clipped to the many pages.

"Why can't you just take him back?" Chloe whispered.

"He won't listen to me," Nyx replied bitterly. "Not about returning to Hell. Kinley's way really is the only way."

Chloe sighed and continued flipping through the book.

"Somewhere inside, you know that whatever he may seem, he is dangerous," Kinley said, holding out the vial.

Chloe looked to Nyx, "You're alright with this?"

"We don't belong on Earth," Nyx said. "Lucifer seems to have forgotten that. This may hurt him, but it will take him back to where he belongs, in Hell."

Reluctantly, a shaky breath escaping her, Chloe took the vial.

Nyx stands silent, watching Kinley talking to Chloe.

"N-no, Lucifer always tells the truth," Chloe says. "Always. He does not lie."

"What if this is the biggest lie of all?" Kinley whispers.

The draxon is unable to stop the growl from escaping his lips. "I hope you are not implying what I think you are, Kinley. If there's one thing about Lucifer that will never change, it's the fact that he never lies."

Kinley hums with a doubtful expression. Giving Chloe one last look, he turns and walks away.

"You know, I'm really starting to get annoyed with him," Nyx says, glaring at Kinley's back.

"Why can't you do this?" Chloe asks, turning to the draxon.

"We agreed it would be you," Nyx replies. "Besides, I can't exactly keep the vial with me when I live with him."

Chloe sighs, "I just..."

"You're unsure," Nyx states. "To be honest, so am I."

"You? Why?"

"Lucifer loves it here. I can't tear him away from it... I know you asked him some questions while interviewing the possible suspects of your case today."

Chloe nods, "He really hasn't killed anyone but Pierce... He really hates Hell?"

"Of course," Nyx replies. "Lucifer may be the devil, but he is still an angel and above all, he's himself. He has not and will never pretend to be something he's not."

"Has Lucifer... ever been the monster the books paint him as?"

"Not that I'm aware of," Nyx replies. "There are a few times I slept for days on end in Hell, but I do not believe my dear devil would ever hurt a human without good reason."

Chloe doesn't answer right away, thinking over his words. Doubt begins to build within. Seeing it, Nyx smirks widely, an action unnoticed by the Detective. It seems his prediction was right.

All according to plan.

"So the killer is behind bars and the Detective and I are on for tonight."

Nyx nods, "Very well. Oh, I've been meaning to tell you, Love, the demons are becoming restless and fights are breaking out between them and my dragons."

Lucifer frowns, sitting next to his lover on the couch. "Fights? Dog fights or full out battles?"

"Dog fights?" Nyx asks, confused.

"Small fights," Lucifer explains, having forgotten the draxon doesn't know all the phrases and such yet.

"Oh... It's just small fights but I believe it's going to escalate. My dragons are beginning to anger and a dragon's true fury is not something that should be invoked."

"No, indeed it isn't," Lucifer agrees. "So you're going to the Dragonlands?"

Nyx nods. "It's nice to spend time there. I love my dragons and they love me."

"Lucky you," Lucifer says with a huff. "I think I'm alright without getting all close and cuddly with the demons."

"Aw, you can share the dragons' affection, you know they love you too."

Lucifer nods, "I do know that."

"Oh, Luci?"

"Yes, Love?"

"Do be careful with what you drink around Chloe. You're mortal around her, and someone could try to slip something into your drink."

"Alright..." Lucifer's brows furrow in suspicion, "What makes you say so?" Nyx only smiles a closed smile and the devil frowns, "You know something."

"I know a lot of somethings," Nyx replies with an innocent smile. "I'll be back later tonight, alright Love?"

Lucifer nods, "Alright."

The two share a passionate kiss, tongues dancing.

"I love you, Luci," Nyx whispers. "I will love you until forever has passed and the dragon's flame burns no more."

Lucifer smiles, "I love you too, Nyxeus, until the end and into what awaits."

*Show me Chloe Decker.*

Nyx watches as an image of the woman appears in the open space of the Watch Tower.

*That's the one Lucifer is so attached to?* Qietiye asks, lying on a cushion across the room.

*Indeed,* Nyx replies.

The two fall silent, watching Chloe take out the vial. Nyx's eyes narrow as she prepares to pour the contents into the devil's glass. Qietiye jumps when loud music suddenly starts playing, echoing in the circular room.

*What was that?!* the light green dragon yelps, his yellow eyes wide.

Nyx doesn't reply, a satisfied smirk on his snout seeing that Chloe accidentally knocked over tipped over Lucifer's glass and thus failed to slip the sedative into it.

"Didn't realize I'd left it so loud," Lucifer says as he reappears in the room. "Here, Detective, allow me to— Ow!"

Bright orange eyes narrow, seeing the blood erupting on the devil's palm.

"You're bleeding," Chloe whispers.

"I'm fine," Lucifer replies.

Light suddenly illuminates the room, drawing the two dragons' attention.

*Demons,* Vortex says with a growl.

*Again?* Nyx hisses, getting up.

The deep blue dragon nods. *They just won't quit. They always retreat after a few minutes though. I don't understand it.*

*Neither do I,* Nyx says. *For now, let's just get them out of my realm.*

The draxon glances at the image being shown in the room before walking out of the room, Qietiye and Vortex following him.

*My guard?* Nyx asks.

*Already fighting,* Vortex replies, leading the two towards the fight. *A few are helping the dragonets get away. The damn demons attacked near Sunlight Meadow.*

Qietiye growls, *They did that on purpose then. Dragonets love playing there, the demons must have known that.*

Nyx's narrowed eyes flash angrily. *Well, let's show them why they should never mess with us.*