Chapter 1

"Let's goooo", Mark sang, one foot out the door, peering over his shoulder as if he was about to book it down the musty, newly paved street.

Clair stood there, hunched over her smug little living room coffee table, licking th envelope that held her goodbye to her ever-so-cruel boyfriend. Over and over again she fell for his "I'm sorry, babe." tricks. Finally, she had prove that he was a cheating bastard. She suspected he was a cheater, but knew when Mark brought a picture to her house once, starring her filthy deceiving boyfriend, or ex now, and Marthy deeply making out, tongue and all. Marthy was an easy girl who pretty much sold her body to guys. The envelope contained two things. The picture and a letter.

The letter said: Dear idiot, we're over. ~ Clair

Clair thought long and hard over these words. She had a decision between spilling her feelings onto the paper, saying how he broke her heart, and that she hopes he rots in hell or those four powerful words that explained everything, yet gave away nothing.

"Ok, Ok but on our way, we gotta drop this bad boy off at the UPS store", Clair said while prancing towards Mark and kissing the envelope.

She stopped right at the edge of the door where Mark was. Inches were between them. To release the tension, Mark grabbed the envelope and read it out loud in his foolish British accent; "Matthew Carners" and he faded out while reading the address. With an almost hidden surprised face, Mark peered up slowly.

" Chill Mark. This thing is my ticket to freedom out of this mindless relationship", Clair announced waving the envelope.

Awkwardness still lingered in the air, but off they went. Their destination was The Rocks. The Rocks were smack in the middle of the border of the California waters. Rocks covered about 7 miles of the beach so you couldn't swim in those parts. That's why, the town where Clair lives, is called The Rocky Miles. The Rocky Miles is the same length as the actually rocks. About 7 miles. The Rocks were a regular place where Mark and Clair went. Past the UPS and envelope-free, they walked about 3 blocks to The Rocks.

Mark had a sketch pad in one hand and a root beer in another. You could hear a cockroach piss if you listened hard enough. Finally, they made it to the rocks.

"Left or right?", Clair asked.

"Right. Definitely right.", Mark said, happy with his decision.

Mark loved sketching Clair. Her hair flowed with the wind, her glistening eyes always happened to be focus at the horizon and she always had the same thought in her mind. Her mom. She sat on a rock that was in the perfect shape on a chair, and she looked towards the horizon, as she does every time they came to the rocks.

"Is it your mom again?", Mark asked, to scared to know the answer.

Her mom was the Keepers Keeper. She controlled everything. She controlled the thoughts everyone was thinking of. She controlled who got arrested and who didn't. But the one thing she couldn't control was her daughter. On, her license, Clair is 23 years old, and has an average brain size. Her mom, Dc. Preside, made the license herself. No one could know that Clair was the Keepers Keepers' daughter. Clair was, in fact, 17 years old and her brain size was that of Albert Einstein. She could figure anything out in a matter of seconds. The only thing her mom really gave her was the control of her own life. Mark too, didn't have a keeper: Mark also had a license made by Clairs mom, which said he was 24, which in fact, he was 18. It also said that he had an average brain size, which was a complete lie. Mark and Clair were friends ever since Clair was two and Mark was three. When Clair was 7, her mom became the Keepers Keeper and Dc.Preside. 5 years later, James was taken in the middle of the night. When she woke up that morning, she found a note on the coffee table explained why he was taken away and how much she misses her. Also, there was a license saying she was 5 years older than she really was. A 12 year old being forced to be 17.

"Yes and no", she whispered, as if to afraid to actually use her voice.

"How so?", Mark pried.

" She has a family. They announced it on TV last night. A husband and 2 kids...Why?", she questioned.

"Why what?",Mark asked, confused.

"Why couldn't we just be a family? James, her, and me? Why did she leave us? Why?!?!" She dung her head into her legs that were propped up from the rock-chair.

"Because she needed to have a good reputation to be a Keepers Keeper, or "the Keeper". She's a sucker for leaving you. You're too amazing to be left alone with no one."

He dropped his sketch pad on the sand and drifted to her. Giving her a bear hug, he added "you're perfect."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you like it c: I know this chapter is packed with info. So yeah 10 votes for the next chapter :)