Chapter One

Depuis le début

The second page was much longer. Finally, his letter.

Dear Mr Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at . Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

"Do I have to send something back?" James asked. "What does it mean by 'we await your owl?'"

"It's a confirmation that you're coming," his father responded. He waved his wand again and a fluffy feather quill zoomed across the room. He took the letter in his hand, turned it over, and began to write something on the back in neat, loopy handwriting. Taking the parchment, he began to fold it over again.

"Open the list they sent you," Euphemia urged him.

The third piece of paper contained his school supplies. For the first time in his life, James would be able to visit Diagon Alley...

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves ( hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.COURSE BOOKSAll students should have a copy of each of the following:The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)

by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic
by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory
by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions
by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS

ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

Yours sincerely,

Lucinda Thomsonicle-Pocus

Chief Attendant of Wizard Provisions

Fleamont handed his letter to the owl, who once more took it in its beak and leapt out of the window. James set his list on the counter, his only disappointment being that he wouldn't be allowed to own a broomstick.

The famous Diagon Alley was a long, thin strip of cobblestone road flanked by many shops. Some were small and cluttered, others larger, some dingy and with objects in the window like beetle eyes and toads' legs. Some of the shops were grand, with enormous doors and elegant signs. He recognized them from the pictures he had seen in The Daily Prophet and in books. In the wizarding world, photos were enchanted to move, and he had seen people's cloaks being whipped back by the wind in them.