Chapter 2

The sun had risen over Nome, the snow bright and pure under its light. Balto and Jenna walked side by side as they headed into town. It had been a terrible night. He'd been unable to fall asleep after telling Kodi he wouldn't lead the mail team in the race. He'd tossed and turned for hours before deciding he needed to see Jenna. For a long while the two of them lay in Rosy's room as Balto told her about the situation with Kodi. He spent the night there, and while Jenna tried to comfort him, he hardly got any sleep. Now they were heading into town to see how Kodi was.

"I was too hard on him," Balto murmured as he blinked his tired eyes. "That job means so much to him. How could I have hurt him like that?"

Jenna looked at him sympathetically. "Balto, you were only being honest with him. He'll understand that."

"You didn't see the hurt in his eyes, Jenna." He said quietly. His mate gave his cheek a gentle nuzzle.

They were nearing the Post Office when they heard Kirby's excited howl. "We've got the race in the bag now!"

"That plane is so going down!" Added Ralph.

Balto and Jenna exchanged a confused look. Hadn't Kodi told the others what he'd said? They quickened their pace and rounded the corner of a building. What lay ahead made Balto stop dead in his tracks, cold shock shooting through his veins.

What?!

There stood none other than Steele, tall and proud, surrounded by the excited mail dogs. Balto had not seen him in years. After he returned with the medicine, Steele had left town, having lost every dog who had once admired him. He had been exposed as a cheater, a bully, a dog who would rather leave the children of Nome to die than lose his fame. And now there he was, standing beside his son.

"My dad told me you were a champion racer for years! The best in Nome!" Ralph was barking excitedly.

"How'd you win so many races?" Kirby pressed, his tail wagging eagerly. "We wanna know your secrets!"

"Steele!" Balto snarled sharply and dropped into a crouch, baring his teeth as he locked his furious gaze on his old enemy. Violence was not in Balto's nature. But the sight of Steele beside his son triggered the instinct to attack. Beside him, Jenna's eyes blazed with anger.

The other dogs hadn't noticed their arrival and spun at Balto's snarl, their eyes lit with alarm. "Balto? What's wrong?" Ralph asked in confusion.

Kodi stared at Balto anxiously. "Dad, what are you doing?"

"Get away from him, Kodi!" Balto ordered, his narrowed eyes fixed on Steele, who looked just as surprised. "That dog is nothing but trouble!"

The big black and white husky stepped forward to meet him, and Balto braced himself for an attack. But Steele only stood before him, his blue eyes round with worry and innocence. "Balto, calm down. I'm not doing any harm."

Ralph bounced to Steele's side. "Steele is going to lead us in the race against the bush plane!" He declared excitedly. "Isn't it great?"

"Yeah!" Kirby jumped in, puffing out his tan colored chest. "And he thinks I'm the best dog on the team. Says I've got a lot of potential, right Steele?" He nudged the large husky.

"No way!" Ralph protested. "Just wait until the race, Steele, you'll see how fast I am!"

They're fighting for the attention of that mad dog! Balto slowly stood, narrowing his eyes. I can see those two falling for his act, but surely Kodi knows-

While Steele spoke to Kirby and Ralph, Kodi joined his parents, casting Steele an admiring look. "He's a racing champion," He told them eagerly. "He's sure to help us win!"

Beyond Kodi, Dusty was watching Steele with a great deal of respect. Though there was a hint of uncertainty in her eyes.

"Steele can't be trusted!" Jenna said urgently.

Balto tried to ignore Steele and focused on his son. "Kodi, he's only going to make the situation worse. All he's ever cared about is winning, no matter-"

"And that's the kind of dog we need," Kirby pointed out, casting Balto a meaningful look. "One who cares about winning."

He stared at the tan husky, seeing that the mail dogs had not taken his refusal well. He looked back at Kodi, who returned his gaze. "No dog can win a race against the plane. Not even Steele."

"Kodi." Steele walked over and sat down beside the young husky, who looked saddened by Balto's words. "Don't listen to Balto. He's just sour because he lost his chance to lead the team." Kodi stared up at him as he went on quietly. "I promise we'll win the race and save your jobs."

Kodi's brown eyes warmed with hope

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Kodi's brown eyes warmed with hope. "Thanks, Steele."

The black and white husky gave him a nudge. "Come on, kid. Let's have another practice run on the beach. Gotta be ready to beat that bird!" He turned away and returned to the other dogs, his tail curled behind him.

"Man, you're muscular!" Kirby exclaimed as he reached them. "Do you work out?"

Kodi watched Steele for a moment before turning his head back to his parents, his eyes filled with sadness. "Steele believes in us," He said quietly. "Why can't you?"

Balto's heart sunk as he stared back at his son, wishing he knew what to say.

"Kodi, let's go!" Steele called in his rough voice as he walked away, flanked by Ralph and Kirby while Dusty tailed them.

Kodi looked at Balto for a moment longer before turning and hurrying after Steele. Balto and Jenna stared after him, processing this horrifying reality. Steele had returned. And he had earned Kodi's trust.

Balto 3 AU: Steele's Return (COMPLETE)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें