Breaking Point {Part 3}

After an exponentially drawn out meal, the guests were finally able to roam and mingle at their free will

After an exponentially drawn out meal, the guests were finally able to roam and mingle at their free will. All the men seemed to have wandered off elsewhere, so Elliana took it as an opportunity to admire the beautiful house. She was sure she'd never seen anything quite so amazing, and she wasn't going to pass up the chance to explore.

However, her adventure was cut short as she bumped into a familiar figure in the deserted hallway. At first, Elliana didn't notice the presence as she stared interestedly at the portraits hooked on the walls, but the voice sent ripples of anger down her spine, "Well, look who's back."

Michael stood against the bannister of the stairs with a smug grin on his face and a smoking cigarette in his hand. His mere aura wound the Shelby up, more than she could ever understand. "I thought we'd seen the last of you."

Elliana scoffed, turning away from the artwork to eye her cousin sinisterly. He hadn't changed that much, maybe he'd grown a little taller, and the evil glint in his eye had become more prominent. "It's Tommy's wedding, he invited me."

Michael rose his eyebrow at her bluntness and sauntered over with a stern smirk etched on his face. There was a short silence as they glared at each other from across the corridor, neither one wanting to look away first and show any sign of weakness.

"Tommy wants to offer you a job." Michael's sudden statement stunned Elliana, causing her to blink her eyelids blankly. He never was one for polite chit chat. "But you're going to reject it."

The blonde Shelby could feel the agitation growing within her once more. She'd managed to keep a lid on her anger in the 3 years she'd been away, but her cousin's urge to control her decisions made her want to snap. "Why would I do that without even knowing what it is?"

Although Elli wasn't too invested in re-joining the family business, the young girl was still intrigued.

Michael seemed to debate his options over in his head before narrowing his eyes and standing up straight, "I hear there's been a few murders down in Margate recently. I'd hate for your accountant friends to be next in line."

Her stomach twisted at the cruel insinuation; he was talking about Mr and Mrs Tinsley. Her employers and best friends down south. This man wasn't evil, he was the devil himself.

"So, this is what you're going to do. You're going to leave now, go back to Margate and carry on with your life. I'll say you had a change of heart and didn't want to be back, and we never have to see each other again." He spoke which such ease it was haunting to listen to.

Elliana stared at him with infuriated eyes, but she knew what she had to do. Michael was many things, but he wasn't a liar. She would do anything to keep her newest friends safe, including leaving her family once more. This would be the last time she ever stepped foot inside a Shelby household. 

As the fearful, yet angry blonde turned to storm out, nobody noticed a wave of dark curls disappear around the corner. Someone had been listening, and trouble was about to be stirred.