Self-Esstem

It was late. I knew that.

Art just kept tossing and turning.

And sighing way too loud, way too dramatically.

Also, the street lights from outside were hitting the beastie boys poster just right, Ad-rock had never looked better in this light. But I had enough.

"There's something you want to say, obviously, spit it out, Art."

From my spot on the bottom bunk, Art's head poked out from above me.

"Since you asked, there's this girl,"
I sighed. You'd think he'd get that I was no help in that department, the only time I tried flirting with a girl I ended up accidentally getting gum in her hair.

"I really like her, she likes me too. Just, I think she wants to- well, you know,"

What? I was sure I've never been more confused in my life, not even in math class.

Then, I got it.

Jesus, who'd want to do that with Art. He'd probably critique every little detail.

"Uh- isn't that a-a good thing though?" Christ, I think I'm doing pretty good so far.

He sighed again, "Well, I guess, what would you do?"

Yikes, okay, James, try and say the straightest thing you can think of

"I-uh, I'd hop on that, uh, hop on that lady- er- girl?" Even I knew my voice sounded different, weak and hoarse.

Nailed it.

Art didn't seem to notice. He nodded.

"Any girl you noticed at school?"

I wanted to tell him. Of course I wanted to.

I wanted to say, hey, now that you ask, Art, there were lots of cute boys in my social studies class, gym class, and even my math class. Maybe you guessed, Art but I'm a flaming homosexual. Please don't tell dad.

I couldn't say that though.

So I said.

"None, really, get to bed now, will ya?"

School was uneventful, as usual.

But, today was the day I will be fully integrated into the jungle that is high school through ways of being punched in the face by frosted tips.

He was in the front of the school, cracking his knuckles. It was kind of hot.

He spotted me immediately, I didn't know if I was flattered or freaked out.

He got in my face.

"I've been waiting for this day, skater boy." His smile was kinda scary, and I would've been scared but I don't think I could take this kid seriously.

"Do your worst, frosted tips" I scoffed, I threw my skateboard to the side. I could take this scrawny shrimp, may Tony Hawk and God be on my side.

And like that a boy was on top of me.

Not in the way I had imagined a boy being on top of me so many times before.

Frosted tips and I rolled around on the dead grass. Soon a crowd grew.

He got a few good punches in, I was sure I was going to have a black eye, I made sure he'd have one too.

In a instant, his weight was off me.

It took a me a moment to realize what happened.

A crazy woman had thrown frosted tips off me and held his ear in a vice-like grip

I had to laugh.

Then she had my ear, it reminded me of my own mother, I was startling to hate thinking about that woman so much.

"Reese, do you even think!" She turned to me, frosted tips- or, Reese wriggled out of her grasp and ran off.

That kind of hurt my feelings, for some reason, not as much as this woman who still had a grip on my ear did though.

"You, young man, your parents are going to get an ear full tonight!"

Parents, ha! Sure my dad would be annoyed but this lady had no idea what she was talking about.

Then she got distracted, chanting and yelling, the revving of an obviously shitty car in the distance.

The crazy lady was gone as soon as she appeared.

I grabbed my board and wiped the blood I was sure was coming from my busted lip or nose.

I had enough of today.