Just King But High Queen

CHAPTER 14

CHAPTER 14

(3rd Person POV)

The Narnians watch as the Telmarine army comes of the woods and as Miraz, in golden armor riding a white horse, comes to the front. They go back inside to make a plan of attack, together.

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!" Trumpkin asks.

"It's our only chance," Peter states.

"And she won't be alone," Susan says.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asks Lucy.

"Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I," Trufflehunter explains.

"Neither have I," Athena states.

"For Aslan," Reepicheep says.

"For Aslan!" A bear cheers.

"Then I'm going with you," Trumpkin tells Lucy.

"No. We need you here," Lucy tells him.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Athena explains.

"If I may..." Caspian says gaining their attention as he looks to his professor who nods. Caspian then stands. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer but as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one, in particular, that may buy us some time." Peter agrees to the tradition. Edmund, Athena, Glenstorm, and a Giant go to offer the proposal to Miraz. Athena and Edmund stood under the tent with Miraz and his council.

"'I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle,'" Edmund reads from the scroll where Peter wrote the proposal.

"The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender.'" Athena finishes for him. Miraz was shocked, to say the least when he saw the girl because she did not have a single scratch on her compared to when he last saw her.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund..." Miraz begins and Athena snorts.

"King," Edmund interrupts.

"Pardon me?" Miraz asks.

"It's King Edmund, actually. Just "King," though. Peter's the high king. I know, it's confusing," Edmund answers. Miraz being confused decides to try with the girl.

"Then tell me, Queen Athena," Miraz begins only for Athena to interrupt.

"It's High Queen Athena, Angel of Hope," Athena corrects. Miraz just gives up.

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz asks.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?" Athena asks.

"I mean, only a week ago Narnians were extinct," Edmund says.

"And so you will be again," Miraz states.

"Well, then you should have little to fear," Athena says.

"This is not a question of bravery," Miraz says.

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Edmund asks him tauntingly.

"I didn't say I refused," Miraz answers.

"You shall have our support, Your Majesty. Whatever your decision," One of the council says.

"Sire, our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid what might otherwise be..." Another councilman says.

"I'm not avoiding anything!" Miraz states as he stands.

"I was merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse," The councilman explains.

"His Majesty would never refuse. He relishes the chance to show the people the courage of their new king," Miraz's General states.

"You," Miraz says pointing at Edmund. "You should hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen." Edmund, Athena, Glenstorm and the Giant leave and make it back just in time to see Susan and Lucy off. Athena gives Susan and Lucy a hug before going to help Peter get ready.

"You want some help?" Athena asks Peter as she walks into the room. Peter smiles at her.

"I think I'm good this time," Peter answers. Athena grabs his helmet and sword before walking over to him. She hands him his sword, which he sheathes. Athena then puts his helmet on his head.

"Have I told you how handsome you look in armor?" Athena asks making Peter smile. They share a quick kiss. "You are a great King." Edmund then enters the room.

"It's time," Edmund says and Peter nods as he grabs his shield.